Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

What's so bad about megathreads? genuinely curious, I didn't think they were a problem as long as they got refreshed every year or so.

EDIT: Plus they're fun to binge. If people start having a dumb argument, you can just skip forward a couple pages. Problem solved.

Ariong has a new favorite as of 03:41 on Nov 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

XyloJW posted:

They encourage reading more than contributing. Individual threads encourage more active posting and participation and community and creativity and goodness. You'll get some of that in megathreads, but you'll get a lot more people lurking.

I don't hate megathreads, but try looking at a subforum you don't already read and which thread do you click on first, the 2 page one or the 1200 page one?

Oh, I gotcha. Yeah, one of the things I like about new GBS is how it doesn't have that problem, now that I think about it. Still, I think that PYF lends itself well to that kind of thread what with having one category for posting things that everyone loves and another for requesting niche things. This is fun though.

• Locked thread