Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

KungFu Grip posted:

It's a good thing I leave all my terrible wrestling posts on twitter and have nothing to be ashamed about.

All of my opinions are correct so it doesn't matter.

Edit: I was looking through my old posts and realized this was never found.

GAYMIEN SANDOW posted:

There was a ppv or RAW within the past year that had someone with a sign that was a giant cardboard cut out of John Cena's face, and it rose up from the crowd in an ominous manner. A gif was made of it and I need that gif and maybe even what show it was on. Does anyone know what the hell I'm talking about?

I still want this. It's from like 2009 if that helps.

Push El Burrito fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Nov 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

Jerusalem posted:

Well it's nice to view this stuff with the benefit of hindsight. I don't think anybody should try and look back on it as the opinions being necessarily silly or stupid, or trying to be vindictive or do something idiotic like "call out" a poster on prior opinions. The quotes are very much products of their time and in many cases enormously justified even if they turned out to be completely wrong. It's just fun to look back on things where we now know how things DID work out, and how people initially thought they might go.

I dunno I'm having a blast reading terrible opinions by even more terrible WH2K posters

GenericMartini
Oct 22, 2012

AYYYYY PAPI
I suspect a lot of the later threads are going to feature a lot of me. I tend to have bad opinions on the whole wrestling thing.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Being shocked at Okada winning the title isn't really unexpected though. When he won the title, he was 100% a complete loving nobody. It'd be like Zack Ryder appearing on Raw to beat Brock for the title.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

but what about valeyard

Abrasive Obelisk
May 2, 2013

I joined th
ROVPACK IN THE HOOUUUUSE!
:vince:
he still knows...
What were the reactions to Sheamus winning the title in 2009 like?

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Being shocked at Okada winning the title isn't really unexpected though. When he won the title, he was 100% a complete loving nobody. It'd be like Zack Ryder appearing on Raw to beat Brock for the title.

Not to mention Tanahashi was in the midst of a dominant title reign when it happened. When Okada challenged him at the '12 Dome show, the reaction was largely "lol sure." People didn't really start warming up to Okada until after the Naito match IIRC.

hunnert car pileup fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Nov 1, 2014

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Abrasive Obelisk posted:

I bet it was a mixture of joy and also anger because he beat Cena, but in a really lovely way.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

This would be the coolest poo poo ever don't even front.

Scruffy the janitor
Dec 31, 2007

A greater tragedy my eyes have never beheld

Abrasive Obelisk posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3240721&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=17

AsInHowe posted:

YES YES YES YES YES YES YES

El Axo Grande posted:

Did Sheamus seriously out Lesnar Push Lesnar

gently caress yes Sheamus

Eugene Jerome posted:

Cena heel turn?

Cena Wellness Violation?

What just happened?

The YES post is pretty funny now.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Recently I looked at the reactions to the initial Wyatt Family promo on Raw. Lot of people confused and excited, but one person flat-out asked, "How long until all three are fed to Cena at once?"

:(

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Gavok posted:

Recently I looked at the reactions to the initial Wyatt Family promo on Raw. Lot of people confused and excited, but one person flat-out asked, "How long until all three are fed to Cena at once?"

:(

:(:hf::(

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
I wonder how people reacted to the first cash-in.

We get hype enough as is for one, I could hardly imagine how everybody felt when Edge did it.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755
How did my name not come up once?

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

Don't worry guys, back when I had regular access to pot I swore up and down on here that Jeremy Piven was an A-list celebrity that I based solely on Emmy/Golden Globe noms/wins.

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent
I identified Ziggler as having a Dirk Diggler gimmick (this was back when all he did was introduce himself like Tim Matheson in Animal House). I have no idea what I was thinking. I recall one of you replied with IT'S NOT A DIRK DIGGLER GIMMICK repeated several times. Goodposting all around.

Someone should dig up the Great Hot Dog Discussion.

(I don't have archives access, in case that isn't clear)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Yaya posted:

I wonder how people reacted to the first cash-in.

We get hype enough as is for one, I could hardly imagine how everybody felt when Edge did it.

God I remember it well, I wasn't actually watching the PPV and just following along with the thread and was just frustrated and fed-up with the news that Cena had retained in the Elimination Chamber. Then I read that Vince had come out and declared the show wasn't over yet....

DM Punk posted:

Cena wins....HE OVERCAME THE ODDS!

Who Gotch Ya posted:

Edit: Vince to the rescue?

britishbornandbread posted:

OH FOR FUCKS loving loving CUNTS SAKE. WHY DO YOU WASTE MY TIME

Oh poo poo VINCE

Godinster posted:

OH gently caress YES.

Please beat him, Edge. I hate you but please.

Free Market Gravy posted:

EDGE DO IT YOU gently caress

EDIT: I HATE EDGE BUT I HATE CENA MORE

Needs More Ditka posted:

Edge if you win this I renounce my hatred for you and you can Toxx Clause me all you want to on this

MrHectibus posted:

HO:LRSKY
cry
fkg:
lsd
skg:
sfkgjl:asf:lfj:ladfj:aljajd:alskfjsgojsdf:lkj sdlfkjsd:lfkjds:lfj:slfkjlskfjd:lsfkj :lsdfj:lsdK

Trin Tragula posted:

EDGE WINS EDGE WINS EDGE WINS NEW CHAMP NEW CHAMP NEW CHAMP

Jerusalem posted:

GO EDGE GO YOU BASTARD GO GO GO GO EDGE GO GO GO EDGE EDGE EDGE I OFFICALLY MARK FOR EDGE NOW EDGE EDGE EDGE PLEASE BEAT CENA OH GOD PLEASE I CAN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE!

DM Punk posted:

Edge's master plan:

1) gently caress Lita behind Matt Hardy's back
2) Turn personal life into angle on TV
3) PROFIT!

After the initial excitement ended, discussion turned to whether Edge was really deserving of a title run after a long career of never quite making it to the top. It's funny in retrospect because he ran with the ball so well, but for years he'd had stop-start pushes derailed by injuries or bad timing or personal drama. It's quite neat to read all the comments saying,"I don't like Edge but if he beats Cena yay!"

Edit: Relevant thread for those with archive access.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

Abrasive Obelisk posted:

First, include the reactions people had to Jesse Ventura ordering a battle royal, and people going 'Sheamus is challenging Cena?'.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Wazzu posted:

First, include the reactions people had to Jesse Ventura ordering a battle royal, and people going 'Sheamus is challenging Cena?'.

I feel like that Battle Royal was when people were convinced WWE was about to pull the trigger on Kofi, since he had just beaten Orton and Punk in the same night at Survivor Series, but I might be wrong.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Backlash 2008 had a fatal fourway main event of HHH vs. Cena vs. Orton vs. JBL for the WWE title. The beginning of HHH's 6 month Smackdown reign started.

quote:

please please PLEASE be victorious JBL!

quote:

Internet fans think different, here's proof:

Randy Orton - 66.39%
JBL - 4.15%
Triple H - 22.41%
John Cena - 7.05%
No Contest - 0.00%

Here's just the Wrestlehut league percentages:

Randy Orton - 72.50%
JBL - 3.75%
Triple H - 16.25%
John Cena - 7.50%
No Contest - 0.00%

Who the gently caress picked JBL? Fess up.

quote:

oval office PUNT

ORTON GOT CENA

quote:

Randy's looking good in the ring tonight, I'm really enjoying him as champion

quote:

Triple H kicks out!

I'm loving this match!

quote:

I liked Randy as champ :smith:

quote:

Way to no sell the match you just had HHH. One second he's half dead struggling to fight back, the next he's jumping around like a jackass flexing on the turnbuckles without a care in the world.

quote:

God dammit, I am so disappointed that HHH won. It's the only match I didn't predict. :(

quote:

On the bright side, maybe Trips will redesign that lovely Cena-belt.

Right, guys?

Right?

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Somebody post the reactions to Cena winning at Summerslam '10

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I really don't get how anyone was comparing The Shield's debut to The Nexus. Like, at all. Nexus was 8 guys well established on a WWE branded show, Barrett had already appeared on TV, and they shredded the ring and took out John Cena on Raw because he was the top dog. Shield were 3 relative unknowns who showed up looking like mercenaries and attacked Ryback at a PPV match to prevent him from winning the title, NXT had barely been established and Ambrose wasn't even on it. Why did people think it was so similar?

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

sticklefifer posted:

I really don't get how anyone was comparing The Shield's debut to The Nexus. Like, at all. Nexus was 8 guys well established on a WWE branded show, Barrett had already appeared on TV, and they shredded the ring and took out John Cena on Raw because he was the top dog. Shield were 3 relative unknowns who showed up looking like mercenaries and attacked Ryback at a PPV match to prevent him from winning the title, NXT had barely been established and Ambrose wasn't even on it. Why did people think it was so similar?

Shield were 3 guys established on WWE farm leagues too. Rollins was NXT champ (how much more established can you be?), Leakee had a few terrible matches in NXT, and Ambrose had been in FCW for quite a while (I don't think he ever did anything on NXT but I could be wrong). They showed up and...Shredded Ryback in an effort to gently caress over Cena. It's not exactly the same and obviously they distinguished themselves afterwards, but thinking it's some completely different thing when they debuted is patently absurd.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I mean yeah you can boil it down to "debuting stable attacking someone" but it's still a stretch. NXT wasn't even airing in the US at first when they switched to Full Sail. The vast majority of WWE viewers didn't know any of them and NXT-as-developmental wasn't nearly on the radar. Nexus in Season 1 was very visible and immediately replaced ECW on Syfy, and wasn't a farm league so much as a C-show.

Either way "WWE :jerkbag:" was a weird thing to complain about because the original Nexus debut loving owned.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

sticklefifer posted:

I mean yeah you can boil it down to "debuting stable attacking someone" but it's still a stretch. NXT wasn't even airing in the US at first when they switched to Full Sail. The vast majority of WWE viewers didn't know any of them and NXT-as-developmental wasn't nearly on the radar. Nexus in Season 1 was very visible and immediately replaced ECW on Syfy, and wasn't a farm league so much as a C-show.

Either way "WWE :jerkbag:" was a weird thing to complain about because the original Nexus debut loving owned.

I miss those Nexus guys. Wonder whatever happened to them.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

sticklefifer posted:

I'm not boiling it down to that. I'm boiling it down to debuting stable of developmental guys, two of whom were on NXT (which may not have been 'on the radar' but was aesthetically exactly the same as it is now and was definitely a C show here in Canada) and one from FCW showing up on the roster to, it appeared, attack WWE as a whole and dispense some nebulous,still to this day unexplained notion of 'justice'.

People thought that they were going to get fed to Cena and/or Ryback and the fact that they didn't is kind of astounding and not something anyone would've predicted back then based on WWE's track record. Shield is the exception, not the rule. Who could have foreseen that Shield would have a string of incredible matches from that moment, especially when the Nexus turned out like they did?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

The most charismatic and popular member is a multiple time main eventer and is loved by pretty much everyone.

Also Daniel Bryan did pretty well and then died.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

oldpainless posted:

The most charismatic and popular member is a multiple time main eventer and is loved by pretty much everyone.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

oldpainless posted:

I'm sorry, but Heath Slater is not a multiple time main eventer. :(

DAMMIT CATH :argh:

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Great White Hope posted:

I'm sorry, but Heath Slater is not a multiple time main eventer. :(

Heath Slater has been on multiple Wrestlemanias.

Every match at Wrestlemania is counted as a main event.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012

GAYMIEN SANDOW posted:

Heath Slater has been on multiple Wrestlemanias.

Every match at Wrestlemania is counted as a main event.

He also main evented that one Raw with Seth.

Which he won.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Writer Cath posted:

I miss those Nexus guys. Wonder whatever happened to them.

I love that almost all of them are still employed and most have pretty prominent roles or get regularly used on television.

I'm actually surprised that Gabriel seems to have been the least successful (other than him, Michael Tarver) since I figured between his good looks and his amazing 450 Splash he'd be at least hanging around at Kofi levels.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

I love that almost all of them are still employed and most have pretty prominent roles or get regularly used on television.

I'm actually surprised that Gabriel seems to have been the least successful (other than him, Michael Tarver) since I figured between his good looks and his amazing 450 Splash he'd be at least hanging around at Kofi levels.

The success/failure ratio hasn't been terrible for a stable comprised of new talent, but on the other hand out of all the new talent in both iterations of the stable only four (Bryan, Barrett, Ryback, Wyatt) are at a solid midcard level or above today. Even that's a tad deceptive as Bryan barely counts and the latter two were completely repackaged.

Young, Gabriel, Slater, and Axel are sporadically used and/or jobbers. Tarver and Mason Ryan have been fired, and Otunga isn't currently on TV.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Bray (Husky), Mason Ryan and Curtis Axel weren't in the original Nexus.

I had legitimately forgotten that Husky was in the New Nexus.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The Nexus wasn't a success story, everybody who's still in the company after that angle just survived it. Literally everyone got repackaged, some people dramatically.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

The Nexus wasn't a success story, everybody who's still in the company after that angle just survived it. Literally everyone got repackaged, some people dramatically.

Daniel Bryan got out of it OK.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

I Before E posted:

Daniel Bryan got out of it OK.

Only because he got out of the company.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

flashy_mcflash posted:

I'm not boiling it down to that. I'm boiling it down to debuting stable of developmental guys, two of whom were on NXT (which may not have been 'on the radar' but was aesthetically exactly the same as it is now and was definitely a C show here in Canada) and one from FCW showing up on the roster to, it appeared, attack WWE as a whole and dispense some nebulous,still to this day unexplained notion of 'justice'.

People thought that they were going to get fed to Cena and/or Ryback and the fact that they didn't is kind of astounding and not something anyone would've predicted back then based on WWE's track record. Shield is the exception, not the rule. Who could have foreseen that Shield would have a string of incredible matches from that moment, especially when the Nexus turned out like they did?

I still think it was a dumb comparison to make just based on a single run-in at Survivor Series (before they mentioned anything about "justice"). Nexus more than doubled Shield's numbers, so the attacks weren't similar. But you bolded and underlined words and that's scary so whatevs.

Jerusalem posted:

I still like Gabriel a lot. He's a really solid worker and I wish they'd at least throw him into a tag team with another flippy guy or something. He had a pretty kickass series of matches with Sin Cara on Superstars over the past month.

Why does the phrase "Me, Michael Tarver" make me laugh every single time I see it?

sticklefifer fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Nov 5, 2014

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Barrett's character has been tweaked but no more than a lot of people's during th e same period and is still definitely recognizable. Of course, the best he's achieved since getting kicked out is a couple IC title runs so it's not exactly high praise to note him as the most prominent guy whose career was launched by the Nexus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
I really did need a change of pants when Bryan won that briefcase.

• Locked thread