Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
Don't EVER talk to loving cops

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
I think it is awesome that cops have the ability to ruin people's lives with impunity, I think the extra job satisfaction makes them better people. We should extend that power to all federal employees. Think of how much more efficiently that guy at the DMV would work if he was motivated by the ability to go kick in your door, shoot your dog, and beat the poo poo out of you if you sass him

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
I'm beginning to feel like people are not appreciating cops very much in the cop appreciation thread.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

RagnarokAngel posted:

I'm beginning to feel like people are not appreciating cops very much in the cop appreciation thread.

Appreciate can also mean to understand the nature of a thing and its implications.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.

Booourns posted:

I appreciate the fact that the police on this forum are confined to their own little hugbox where they're free from hearing any criticism.

You mean free from stupidity! :eng101:

Thank you D&D for this appreciation thread. It's nice to see the lighter, friendlier side of D&D once in awhile. May you all have safe travels, friends.

Apthous
Nov 2, 2014

by XyloJW
Why do cops have bayonets in their ceremonial guard? When in the history of law enforcement in the US have the police ever bayoneted someone?

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

Apthous posted:

Why do cops have bayonets in their ceremonial guard? When in the history of law enforcement in the US have the police ever bayoneted someone?

I think it might be ceremonial.

Apthous
Nov 2, 2014

by XyloJW

Victor Vermis posted:

I think it might be ceremonial.

Ceremonial things are supposed to reference things that the people in the ceremony have an association with.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Booourns posted:

I appreciate the fact that the police on this forum are confined to their own little hugbox where they're free from hearing any criticism.

I remember when Tokaii the former Chicago PD cop tried to start a GBS cop thread and was dogpiled right away. He had a point that it comes down to 15-20% of cops who will aggressively abuse their authority, but any other cop who tries to stop them suddenly becomes an enemy of the entire department and will get killed in the line of duty when back-up "gets lost" on the way to a call.

In his own words "We all carried a drop knife/gun, I was one of the few who never used it, and was mocked for it"

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

pentyne posted:

I remember when Tokaii the former Chicago PD cop tried to start a GBS cop thread and was dogpiled right away. He had a point that it comes down to 15-20% of cops who will aggressively abuse their authority, but any other cop who tries to stop them suddenly becomes an enemy of the entire department and will get killed in the line of duty when back-up "gets lost" on the way to a call.

In his own words "We all carried a drop knife/gun, I was one of the few who never used it, and was mocked for it"

Sounds pretty legit.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
I remember when Tokaii the former Chicago PD cop tried to defend being attracted to kids

Apthous
Nov 2, 2014

by XyloJW
"Militarization" of the police.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

Apthous posted:

"Militarization" of the police.

Is that Ferguson Missouri?

Apthous
Nov 2, 2014

by XyloJW

Victor Vermis posted:

Is that Ferguson Missouri?

No that is what happens when the "rook" goes up against a f16.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
I appreciate all the LEOs with the observation skills to notice signs written in arabic and the geographical knowledge to know Missouri isn't a desert. Their rarity is what makes them special.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

Are you saying Black American Muslims aren't real Muslims?

The desert wakes in all of us, citizen.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Every cop I've ever interacted with has been very courteous and professional. Then again the time I called 911 to report a woman getting violently assaulted in the middle of the street they never showed up so idk :)

Bro Dad fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Nov 12, 2014

Apthous
Nov 2, 2014

by XyloJW

Bro Dad posted:

Every cop I've ever interacted has been very courteous and professional. Then again the time I called 911 to report a woman getting violently assaulted in the middle of the street they never showed up so idk :)

The police usually only show up if they think they can steal something.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

Bro Dad posted:

Every cop I've ever interacted with has been very courteous and professional. Then again the time I called 911 to report a woman getting violently assaulted in the middle of the street they never showed up so idk :)

The assaulter just kept at it while shouting "STOP RESISTING" and I was all, "Where the frick are these pigs?!"

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice
Once when I was driving in an emergency-pull-off-only lane a cop up ahead shifted into the lane ahead of me and then back out as if to say "Hey I see you coming up here" so I took the hint and merged into the normal lanes. He didn't have to give me a heads up but he did. The guy behind me kept going and got pulled over - sorry, friend!

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
Once this cop helped this homeless guy out in front of the place I work at. It was a slow news day, so he ended up in the news and got a promotion.

He then tried to use his new position to get free stuff at a fair, was reported, and demoted in less than a month.

Thank you for the schadenfreude, cops!

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

Bored Ventura PD cop ran an intersection with a blip of his lights to make sure I got a seat belt ticket. He said it was "click-it or ticket month."

Apthous
Nov 2, 2014

by XyloJW
1,111 sex crimes ignored by the NOPD

http://www.cnn.com/2014/11/12/us/new-orleans-sex-crimes-investigations/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

quote:

Detective D told at least three different individuals that Detective D did not believe that simple rape should be a crime.

quote:

-- Detective A was assigned two cases in which infants were taken to the emergency room with skull fractures. In one case, a nurse suspected "non-accidental trauma," but Detective A did not investigate. In the other case, a doctor found a previous skull fracture, and the infant's mother gave conflicting accounts of what happened, but Detective A determined there was "no cause for criminal action."

quote:

-- In 2013, the inspector general requested supplemental reports missing from case files belonging to Detective C -- three from 2011 and one from 2010 -- but after the reports were submitted, investigators learned all four reports "were created on the same day in 2013, shortly after NOPD received the OIG request for the missing reports." Investigators determined the same thing happened with a 2010 and 2011 reporting missing from Detective E's files;

:911:

Apthous fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Nov 13, 2014

SkaAndScreenplays
Dec 11, 2013

by Pragmatica

Koalas March posted:

When I was in highschool I took classes at a community college for extra credits. I was sitting in a friends car chatting between classes when 5 officers rolled up with their guns drawn and yanked me out of the car. They threw me on the ground, handcuffed me and took me to the station where I was later released. Because of zero tolerance I was kicked out of school and had to get my GED despite NEVER being charged with anything.

So thanks cops for not immediately shooting an unarmed black teenager that day I guess.
FTP

Blue Star posted:

Cops are okay as long as they're not also white and male. Of course, that applies to just about everyone.
lovely Cops are of All Races.

Willy Pete posted:

Actually they're pretty good. Don't do stupid poo poo in the first place and the cops will be cool with you.
Hardly - Had an off duty threaten to have me arrested for improper ettiquacy when I refused to let him cut ahead of me at an air pump (if he would have asked as opposed to ripping the hose out of my hand and flashing his badge I probably would have). He flags down cops, I explain, they check security tapes...give me paperwork to file a complaint. Fill it out and give it to them. Seem like legit dudes.

Catch them in my rearview as I am leaving throwing it in the trash.

FTP

enraged_camel posted:

Several years ago, some cops in my town shot and killed a guy who was sitting peacefully on his patio, mistaking his garden hose nozzle for a handgun.

They apologized afterwards though, which I think makes them good people.
Yeah, "Sorry we shot your grandpa on the porch."

Genocide Tendency posted:

Show us on the doll where the police man touched you.
"Well you should have it on dashcam."
"Our Dog Ate the Footage"

A HOT TOPIC posted:

Maybe don't speed next time, law breaker! :cop:
Speed Limits in non residential/commercial areas are silly.

I for one thank the cop that wrote this man a ticket and think it should happen more often.
For a minor infraction?

Apthous posted:

Wishful Thinking

Victor Vermis posted:

Are you saying Black American Muslims aren't real Muslims?

The desert wakes in all of us, citizen.
the spice exists on only one planet in the entire universe. A desolate, dry planet with vast deserts. Hidden away within the rocks of these deserts are a people known as the Fremen, who have long held a prophecy that a man would come, a messiah who would lead them to true freedom. The planet is Arrakis, also known as Dune.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?
Wrong thread. Show some appreciation. Appreciation posts only.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
My Dad's a cop and he spends some of his free time sourcing new homes for pets whose owners have died.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Fans posted:

My Dad's a cop and he spends some of his free time sourcing new homes for pets whose owners have died.

I thought cops just shot pets?

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Spun Dog posted:

I thought cops just shot pets?

I'm in the UK so sadly he didn't have a gun at the time.

SkaAndScreenplays
Dec 11, 2013

by Pragmatica
I personally would like to thank the cop who pulled me over yesterday for the fifth time in 2 months to quadruple check that I had renewed my license since the first time he pulled me over. That is dilligent police work right there.

Apthous
Nov 2, 2014

by XyloJW

SkaAndScreenplays posted:

I personally would like to thank the cop who pulled me over yesterday for the fifth time in 2 months to quadruple check that I had renewed my license since the first time he pulled me over. That is dilligent police work right there.

If that is actually what happened he committed a crime. You can't pull someone over just to check if their license has been renewed.

Apthous fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Nov 15, 2014

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Apthous posted:

The police usually only show up if they think they can steal something.
Timely!

Police Use Department Wish List When Deciding Which Assets to Seize
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/10/us/police-use-department-wish-list-when-deciding-which-assets-to-seize.html?_r=0

Spacman
Mar 18, 2014

SkaAndScreenplays posted:

Sounds like he is doing a great job. If you are willing to break the law by not renewing your license you likely believe other laws also don't apply to you.

Well done officer x. Keep checking this poster out!

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
I was pulled over once for a minor traffic stop a few weeks ago. The cop declared that I "looked nervous" and subjected me to a search behind my car and then searched my car. He also repeatedly asked if I had weapons. At one point during the search, he grabbed my hands behind my back and acted like he was about to cuff me. Of course, had no weapons and it was entirely pointless harassment. Luckily, I wasn't black or I'd probably be dead in a ditch. So, thanks cops.

Concerned Citizen fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Nov 15, 2014

Spacman
Mar 18, 2014
Wrong thread, this is the appreciation thread.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Spacman posted:

Wrong thread, this is the appreciation thread.

I dunno, he seems to be pretty appreciative of the fact that they didn't kill him! :)

Spacman
Mar 18, 2014

ComradeCosmobot posted:

I dunno, he seems to be pretty appreciative of the fact that they didn't kill him! :)

Wrong thread, the other one is the hate the pigs one.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Spacman posted:

Wrong thread, the other one is the hate the pigs one.

Halloween's over, every thread is that thread now.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?

Apthous posted:

If that is actually what happened he committed a crime. You can't pull someone over just to check if their license has been renewed.

This isn't necessarily true and is very situational. There is also a good chance he's exaggerating. It's DandD.

Apthous
Nov 2, 2014

by XyloJW

Untagged posted:

This isn't necessarily true and is very situational.

No it is not situational. There are a limited amount of reasons that the police can pull someone over. Simply pulling someone over to check if their license is renewed is blatantly illegal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

FuzzySkinner posted:

Is this a thread where I can talk about how good Zenyatta Mondatta is?

EEE--OH.

The only police I appreciate.

• Locked thread