Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
One time I was changing my tire at a gas station and a cop came up and asked if I needed help. He then noticed my jack sucked a lot and went and got an really good jack from his police station and helped me use it. He also offered to buy me a coffee but I said no thanks.

It was really cold and wet out so it was pretty appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Are you sure he didn't slash your tires, beat you over the head with the jack and then dump coffee on you, and claim you resisted arrest? This story doesn't add up imo.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
one time a cop harassed one of my friends because he wanted to get her phone number

another time a different cop helped an old native dude who some white kids were harassing on the other side of the street

so 50/50 in my personal experience i guess

Exclamation Marx posted:

I remember when Tokaii the former Chicago PD cop tried to defend being attracted to kids

What was the deal w/ that anywys, is there more to the story than tokaii saying 'i like kids' in the archage thread then doing a banme after getting imp zoned?

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Nov 17, 2014

SkaAndScreenplays
Dec 11, 2013

by Pragmatica
http://thefreethoughtproject.com/epileptic-attacked-police/

I appreciate the fact that the police are so well trained in first aid that often they are sent to medical emergencies in lieu of EMTs.

And that Holding cells are the equivalent of an ER to them...

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
What the hell did you just link? :psyduck:

Apthous
Nov 2, 2014

by XyloJW

Discendo Vox posted:

What the hell did you just link? :psyduck:

I guess when she called 911 she failed to say that she was having a seizure and just starting crying hysterically. That or the police should be tried with assault and battery.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
One time I was riding with my girlfriend's CHP dad when someone alone in the HOV lane passed us going 90. He got on his cell phone, called local dispatch, and had them come out and pull over the guy (who we were now following). We stayed with the guy until he got pulled over. So thanks, Bill, for doing your job even off duty.

Apthous
Nov 2, 2014

by XyloJW

Mayor Dave posted:

One time I was riding with my girlfriend's CHP dad when someone alone in the HOV lane passed us going 90. He got on his cell phone, called local dispatch, and had them come out and pull over the guy (who we were now following). We stayed with the guy until he got pulled over. So thanks, Bill, for doing your job even off duty.

I got pulled over for speeding in South Carolina one time because I was trying to make the trip from Georgia to Massachusetts fast enough to not fall asleep at the wheel and die. Thanks for making the world safer cops.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Apthous posted:

I got pulled over for speeding in South Carolina one time because I was trying to make the trip from Georgia to Massachusetts fast enough to not fall asleep at the wheel and die. Thanks for making the world safer cops.

I think we've reached peak Goon ACAB here. drat cops, stopping people not fit to drive from going at dangerously high speeds.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Apthous posted:

Why didn't you just pull over and take a nap? That poo poo is as dangerous as driving drunk.

Apthous
Nov 2, 2014

by XyloJW

SedanChair posted:

Why didn't you just pull over and take a nap? That poo poo is as dangerous as driving drunk.

I would have reached my destination in a reasonable time frame had I been allowed to travel at a more efficient speed.

I drove it several times with my dad and stopped halfway, but then one of my roommates showed off and drove it solo a bunch of times and I couldn't let myself get disrespected like that.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Apthous posted:

I would have reached my destination in a reasonable time frame had I been allowed to travel at a more efficient speed.

I drove it several times with my dad and stopped halfway, but then one of my roommates showed off and drove it solo a bunch of times and I couldn't let myself get disrespected like that.

Guys like you are why people think we need police

Apthous
Nov 2, 2014

by XyloJW

SedanChair posted:

Guys like you are why people think we need police

I sold my old car before one trip and drove back in a rental with my dad and they must have messed up and gave us a car with decent HP. At one straightaway in SC when there were no cars on the road and no place where the cops could hide out I was like "Dad I'm going to take this bitch to 120mph" and my dad said "no" but I did it anyway because I had never driven anything faster than a Carolla at that point.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
I haven't been harassed by the cops in ages; It used to be that they would regularly pull me over and test for drugs and alcohol all while interrogating me on my recreational habits, but I must have finally gotten the right haircut or something in the mean time, because I don't seem to be setting off their gut feelings lately. I appreciate that.

Apthous
Nov 2, 2014

by XyloJW

snorch posted:

I haven't been harassed by the cops in ages; It used to be that they would regularly pull me over and test for drugs and alcohol all while interrogating me on my recreational habits, but I must have finally gotten the right haircut or something in the mean time, because I don't seem to be setting off their gut feelings lately. I appreciate that.

They only like their targets young and supple. As soon as you sprouted pubes they lost interest.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Apthous posted:

I sold my old car before one trip and drove back in a rental with my dad and they must have messed up and gave us a car with decent HP. At one straightaway in SC when there were no cars on the road and no place where the cops could hide out I was like "Dad I'm going to take this bitch to 120mph" and my dad said "no" but I did it anyway because I had never driven anything faster than a Carolla at that point.

At every turn you confirm that the impression you gave in the education discussion was the correct one.

Apthous
Nov 2, 2014

by XyloJW

Pope Guilty posted:

At every turn you confirm that the impression you gave in the education discussion was the correct one.

Confusing education with academia is like confusing the cops with the concept of justice.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Apthous posted:

Confusing education with academia is like confusing the cops with the concept of justice.

What you appear to be demonstrating is a simultaneous lack of comprehension of all four.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Literally A Good Police: "excuse me sir you appear to be speeding and falling asleep at the same time, you loving nutjob"

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

SedanChair posted:

Literally A Good Police: "excuse me sir you appear to be speeding and falling asleep at the same time, you loving nutjob"

That motherfucking cop pulled a guy off the road for no reason other than it wasn't safe for him to drive! What an rear end!

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

White college guy, got pulled with bowl of weed while dwi twice in one week, once because I was driving without headlights turned on. Fumbled for outdated liscence and insurance card with the past three years in my glovebox. Each time it was a minority officer, a woman who got who called Mexican (I think) backup first time, African American cop second time. African American cop said he mistook me for a car making an illegal U-turn. Both times I got off without a ticket, only an incident report for driving without headlights on. Should thank my stars I was pulled by city/county PD instead of Campus Police, I bet they would have actually asked me to step out of the car. Campus Officer jumped me immediately after a no-right turn on red sign that was almost impossible to see at night, when there were no other cars in sight. This was before I'd started smoking, so nothing suspicious and got my first warning.

Thanks cops!

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Nov 18, 2014

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

SedanChair posted:

Speeding because you are tired is loving bullshit and Apthous is a loving idiot. But you are also apparently a loving idiot, on par with Apthous, so good job, since you are both advocating breaking the law (according to cops, anyway).

It is illegal to take a nap on the side of the road, or so I was told by three cops in quick succession (the span of about 15 minutes) as I tried to do so in increasingly remote and out of the way places. All of them said I was lucky they were just letting me off with a warning.

The first said the breakdown lane was only for broken cars, not naps, and trying to take a nap there was illegal.
The second said the residential rural area (apparently most do) explicitly had laws against sleeping on the street in a vehicle.
The third said that sleeping in abandoned lot of a boarded up gas station was trespassing and I was probably just planning a robbery being all suspicious in a place like that so I'd better get my rear end out of town immediately.

So I don't actually know what a person is supposed to do in this situation. I just decided to stop driving completely, but I'm open to whether or not there may be a better solution here.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Nov 18, 2014

JohnGalt
Aug 7, 2012

GlyphGryph posted:

Speeding because you are tired is loving bullshit and Apthous is a loving idiot. But you are also apparently a loving idiot, on par with Apthous, so good job, since you are both advocating breaking the law (according to cops, anyway).

It is illegal to take a nap on the side of the road, or so I was told by three cops in quick succession (the span of about 15 minutes) as I tried to do so in increasingly remote and out of the way places. All of them said I was lucky they were just letting me off with a warning.

The first said the breakdown lane was only for broken cars, not naps, and trying to take a nap there was illegal.
The second said the residential rural area (apparently most do) explicitly had laws against sleeping on the street in a vehicle.
The third said that sleeping in abandoned lot of a boarded up gas station was trespassing and I was probably just planning a robbery being all suspicious in a place like that so I'd better get my rear end out of town immediately.

So I don't actually know what a person is supposed to do in this situation. I just decided to stop driving completely, but I'm open to whether or not there may be a better solution here.

Rest stop s on highways have that name for a reason.. Not just because its catchy.

Walmart parking lots or any big box stores don't care either.

Parking and sleeping in a residential area is sketchy and they are right to at least check up on you.

Content: would like to thank the police for illegally entering my parents house when I was in highschool. Due to the fact that you were convinced my underaged party was actually an ongoing burglary combined with your immediate transition into handing out underages to everyone means that I need to thank you. Thanks for the resulting settlement that meant I didn't have to pay for college. I guess its sorta ironic that a lot more underage drinking was supported by your funds.

JohnGalt fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Nov 18, 2014

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Cops first drove me to the ER, then drove me home after I neatly wrapped my car around a lightpost ten years ago. They said something about charging me for reckless driving, but they dropped them once my bloodwork came back clean. For some reason the car was towed to my regular mechanic, and I have no idea how, but I never paid a cent for it. It sure as hell wasn't my insurance company, because they were never told about it.
I just got a call from the shop asking if they were going to do an assessment, and that they needed my keys.

ditty bout my clitty fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Nov 18, 2014

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

JohnGalt posted:

Rest stop s on highways have that name for a reason.. Not just because its catchy.

If there were a rest on that highway, maybe this would mean something. Hell, if the first cop (or any of them) had directed me to a rest area I would have been thrilled, it's a lot nicer napping in one of those well lit lots. (He didn't because there wasn't one). Nor are big box retailers conveniently positioned (the nearest one was probably 40+ minutes away at the time. They always seem to be 40+ minutes away)

JohnGalt
Aug 7, 2012

GlyphGryph posted:

If there were a rest on that highway, maybe this would mean something. Hell, if the first cop (or any of them) had directed me to a rest area I would have been thrilled, it's a lot nicer napping in one of those well lit lots. (He didn't because there wasn't one). Nor are big box retailers conveniently positioned (the nearest one was probably 40+ minutes away at the time. They always seem to be 40+ minutes away)

Perhaps I am misunderstanding the situation, but I am assuming that all of these are happening while you are already driving long distances? If you are driving on high traffic interstate corridors it is typical to have rest areas ~1hr apart and places like Walmart are really good about putting their locations within a couple miles of an interstate exit (factors into supply chain models).

However, if you start feeling tired after several hours of driving, pull over sooner rather than later. Cops trying to keep you off of a busy road is a safety thing (for your sake) and not them being dicks. Perhaps the delivery was poor (or misconstrued), but the fact is that they are watching out for you in those cases (except maybe the last one, feel free to get mad about that).

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

JohnGalt posted:

However, if you start feeling tired after several hours of driving, pull over sooner rather than later. Cops trying to keep you off of a busy road is a safety thing (for your sake) and not them being dicks. Perhaps the delivery was poor (or misconstrued), but the fact is that they are watching out for you in those cases (except maybe the last one, feel free to get mad about that).

It was the middle of the night, and I was the only vehicle on the road aside from the cop and one other that passed me for the period I was pulled over. Not exactly a high traffic corridor outside of commuter hours, although it was an interstate highway.

quote:

a safety thing(for your sake)
Hahaha, my loving god. I laugh, because this was always the thing they said when I was homeless whenever they decided to kick me out of the well lit and police patrolled areas and send me into the worse parts of town, or whenever I paid for a 24 hour parking space in a secure place and they realized I was in there. Sorry if I don't buy it, especially since they don't offer an alternative that's any safer, and in this case I certainly wasn't going to keep driving for another hour and a half to get to my destination in the state I was in.

And now you are literally claiming that forcing a person who is too tired to drive safely to continue driving is "looking out for their safety".

JohnGalt
Aug 7, 2012

GlyphGryph posted:

It was the middle of the night, and I was the only vehicle on the road aside from the cop and one other that passed me for the period I was pulled over. Not exactly a high traffic corridor outside of commuter hours, although it was an interstate highway.

Hahaha, my loving god. I laugh, because this was always the thing they said when I was homeless whenever they decided to kick me out of the well lit and police patrolled areas and send me into the worse parts of town, or whenever I paid for a 24 hour parking space in a secure place and they realized I was in there. Sorry if I don't buy it, especially since they don't offer an alternative that's any safer, and in this case I certainly wasn't going to keep driving for another hour and a half to get to my destination in the state I was in.

And now you are literally claiming that forcing a person who is too tired to drive safely to continue driving is "looking out for their safety".

Yeah, except you decided, 40 minutes prior, that you were fine to keep driving and totally could go further. Then decided to plop down on the side of the road. I also said that the safety thing was only something that I would apply to the interstate. Being in a parking lot is completely different. Feel free to reread though.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

GlyphGryph posted:

Yeah thats when its really loving dangerous to be parked on the side of the road because some other rear end in a top hat who's half asleep and not paying attention plows into the back of you.

see: why you set out reflectors/road flares if you break down at night

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

GlyphGryph posted:

Nice try being angry, but it's not my problem if you can't find a place to sleep--if your alternative is continuing to drive. You don't get to haunt the freeways with your sleepy brain just because you're too stupid to figure out when and where to rest.

Cops rousting vagrants is bullshit, but please don't try to make it an excuse for driving while impaired.

SkaAndScreenplays
Dec 11, 2013

by Pragmatica

JohnGalt posted:

Parking and sleeping in a residential area is sketchy and they are right to at least check up on you.

If you're parked legally why does it even matter?

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

Apthous posted:

I guess when she called 911 she failed to say that she was having a seizure and just starting crying hysterically. That or the police should be tried with assault and battery.

have you ever been with someone having a seizure because generally someone having one isn't going to be very communicative

SkaAndScreenplays
Dec 11, 2013

by Pragmatica

slogsdon posted:

have you ever been with someone having a seizure because generally someone having one isn't going to be very communicative

Yeah, one of my friends is epileptic and it's mind-blowing to think that any human being could see that and think 'She's resisting arrest. Beat her and throw her in jail.'

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

So, I was reacting to the source, not the story.

SkaAndScreenplays
Dec 11, 2013

by Pragmatica

Discendo Vox posted:

So, I was reacting to the source, not the story.

Could have specified that.

Yes the people who manage that site are probably a little crazy and don't attempt to hide their biases. Not that anyone does.

But they aggregate a lot of objective evidence in regards to abuses of power by law enforcement and that is important.

MODS CURE JOKES
Nov 11, 2009

OFFICIAL SAS 90s REMEMBERER
gently caress the goddamn motherfucking police [1].

[1] Niggaz Wit Attitude, Death Row Records

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

SkaAndScreenplays posted:

Could have specified that.

Yes the people who manage that site are probably a little crazy and don't attempt to hide their biases. Not that anyone does.

But they aggregate a lot of objective evidence in regards to abuses of power by law enforcement and that is important.

Thank you for confirming my suspicions that the source credibility problem is fully transferrable.

Apthous
Nov 2, 2014

by XyloJW
http://www.cnn.com/2014/11/19/world/asia/indonesia-police-recruits-virginity-test/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

quote:

Jakarta, Indonesia (CNN) -- The Indonesian police continue to use a "degrading" invasive physical test to check for female recruits virginity, a Human Rights Watch (HRW) report has claimed.

The US should follow Indonesia's suit with this virginity test for new police recruits.

Branis
Apr 14, 2006

by VG

SkaAndScreenplays posted:

If you're parked legally why does it even matter?

cause the scared white people who called it in will watch out their windows and call to complain to the chief if you don't check and write letters to the editor about how the cops won't chase away scary people in good neighborhoods and vote for the other guy for sheriff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apthous
Nov 2, 2014

by XyloJW

Branis posted:

cause the scared white people who called it in will watch out their windows and call to complain to the chief if you don't check and write letters to the editor about how the cops won't chase away scary people in good neighborhoods and vote for the other guy for sheriff.

Did they make you take a virginity test when you became a cop Branis?

• Locked thread