Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
One time I was changing my tire at a gas station and a cop came up and asked if I needed help. He then noticed my jack sucked a lot and went and got an really good jack from his police station and helped me use it. He also offered to buy me a coffee but I said no thanks.

It was really cold and wet out so it was pretty appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
well actually, police forces, as a professional, politically neutral body of civil law enforcement, separate from the military but still part of/funded by the state, is kind of new. 18th century-ish or something.

like there are precursors with constables/watchmen yeah, but those were more volunteer fire departments/neighborhood watchmen/concerned mobs of vigilantes than law enforcers. lord help you if they got their hands on you and they thought you were a criminal.

Tiler Kiwi fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Nov 20, 2014

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Apthous posted:

People knew slavery was eventually going to end. How else is gramma gonna keep the coloreds in line?

it was more about the industrial/agrarian revolution creating large urban populations, and the old methods of social control becoming obsolete/nonexistent. something something capitalism, enclosure and death of common land, etc

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

• Locked thread