Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/nov/01/scotland-vote-independence-poll-yougov

quote:

Scotland would vote yes to independence if another referendum were held today – just six weeks after a majority voted no, a poll has found.

Independence now has the backing of 52% of people in Scotland compared with 48% for the union, a YouGov poll for the Times has found.

When those who would not vote or do not know are included, the split is 49% for yes and 45% for no, the poll of 1,078 Scottish adults between 27 and 30 October found.

Scotland voted 55% in favour of keeping the UK together in the referendum on 18 September.

Two-fifths of people think a second poll will be held within the next 10 years, slightly more (45%) want this to happen but 16% never want another one, the poll found.

It comes on the back of a separate Ipsos Mori poll for STV on Friday which found two-thirds of Scots want another independence referendum within the next 10 years while more than half think a vote on the country’s future should take place within just five years.

Saturday’s YouGov/Times poll also found 43% of Labour supporters now back independence, with only 22% saying Labour represents their interests well against 65% who say it represents them badly.

Data from the same poll released on Friday suggests the party is facing a near wipeout in Scotland, with the SNP enjoying a 16-point lead on Westminster voting intentions.

The Scottish Labour leader Johann Lamont quit a week ago complaining that UK Labour treats Scotland like a “branch office”.

New data released on Saturday suggests only 3% of people feel Scottish Labour has a lot of freedom to pursue different policies from the UK party, while a quarter said it has none at all.

Nearly three-fifths of people (58%) said Lamont was right to quit against 11% who said she was wrong.

Tough.

Edit: Posting this not to summon Pissflaps and Gaylord to tell us that Oil prices have fallen as if they'll never rise again but to further show that Labour's "Squat in the middle and wait it all out until we're in power again" tactics are completely loving them.

Gonzo McFee fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Nov 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
The poll version of stating how you would've totally kicked that guy's rear end if your friends hadn't pulled you away.

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas
Quote=edit.

EvilGenius fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Nov 1, 2014

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006

Kegluneq posted:

Yeah! They should be putting one on that's 30+ years old instead! After some poking around - Dad's Army was first broadcast on a Wednesday, The Young ones on a Tuesday. I'm not sure the Saturday primetime slot is as exciting as you think it is.

Maybe there's been a renewal of interest in Dad's Army after the new film was announced?

I wasn't saying they should put the Young Ones on instead, I was using it as an example that the BBC used to be able to take risks. The closest they have to that now is BBC3, which they're now axing.

Everyone has seen every Dad's Army 52 times. It's the epitome of safe scheduling.

EvilGenius fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Nov 1, 2014

Undead Hippo
Jun 2, 2013

EvilGenius posted:

I wasn't saying they should put the Young Ones on instead, I was using it as an example that the BBC used to be able to take risks. The closest they have to that now is BBC3, which they're now axing.

Everyone has seen every Dad's Army 52 times. It's the epitome of safe scheduling.

But.. it's Saturday night. Saturday night has always been safe scheduling?

kapparomeo
Apr 19, 2011

Some say his extreme-right links are clearly known, even in the fascist capitalist imperialist Murdochist press...

EvilGenius posted:

BBC3 was never a "risk-taking" channel. It was a containment network designed to prevent Johnny "Sex Lives of Potato Men" Vegas from contaminating the rest of the airwaves.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother
BBC4 is the biggest risk taker on TV running documentaries like the evolution of the transistor radio in Sweden that are actually awesome but on the face of it only appeal to 7 people globally all of which were involved in making the show.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Robot Mil posted:

These people make me so very very angry.

Millionaire landlords evicting families

ALAB

(Except mine, who are quite nice really apart from being my landlords)

I know a couple who rented from the Wilsons when they'd just had a baby, and the boiler broke down right as the country was going into winter. When they asked the landlords to fix it, they responded with a demand they vacate the premises within two weeks.

Which didn't happen of course because that poo poo violates god knows how many laws.

gently caress the Wilsons, they are utter utter cunts of the highest order. If I'm looking at a place and I get even the slightest wiff that they are involved somehow, I don't care how nice it might be, I'm not interested.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Burqa King posted:

Indeed, but when daily mail readers say we should lock people up we jump down their throats. Perhaps we have more in common with our opponents than we'd like to admit.

"No war but class war? You sound like a warmonger to me :smuggo:"

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

Seaside Loafer posted:

Cautions are poo poo, show up on a CRB check until you are 100 years old. I have one for possesion of an offensive weapon which was bullshit but I just wanted to get out of the nick and was befuddled. Its led to a few interesting conversations with employers and of course just being ditched the moment anything comes up.

These days I just tick the 'nothing to disclose' box and hope for the best.

That's not quite true.

Cautions become spent immediately and therefore do not need to be disclosed.

I believe the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 makes it an offence to refuse employment on the grounds of a caution (with the exception of the protected roles, teaching etc). For protected roles having a caution doesn't immediately bar you from work, the employer should make a decision based on what the offence was and how long ago it occurred.

HortonNash fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Nov 1, 2014

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

kapparomeo posted:

BBC3 was never a "risk-taking" channel. It was a containment network designed to prevent Johnny "Sex Lives of Potato Men" Vegas from contaminating the rest of the airwaves.
Ideal loving owned though.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Gorn Myson posted:

Ideal loving owned though.

Oh my god it really did. I need to watch that again.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
The BBC are never going to show anything exciting or new when they have Strictly Come Dancing on BBC1, and ITV are showing the X Factor. Anything they put on would probably get the worst viewing figures, so they may as well put on something that doesn't cost them much!

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

HortonNash posted:

That's not quite true.
Cautions become spent immediately and therefore do not need to be disclosed.
Do you really think a potential employer is going to give a gently caress about the 1974 act when they have someone who doesnt have a record to choose from. They still show up on a CRB even if spent.

Seaside Loafer fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Nov 1, 2014

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
What's the average age of people who still watch broadcast television? I'm going to guess it's more then a decade higher then it was when The Young Ones aired, bare minimum. You might as well ask why we don't have Saturday morning cartoons or Top Of The Pops anymore: the only audience who is still watching it is a lot closer to Dad's Army then they are daring, fresh content. There's about a trillion avenues for daring, fresh content. None of them are the BBC.

Acaila
Jan 2, 2011

IceAgeComing posted:

The BBC are never going to show anything exciting or new when they have Strictly Come Dancing on BBC1, and ITV are showing the X Factor. Anything they put on would probably get the worst viewing figures, so they may as well put on something that doesn't cost them much!

This. No point wasting money on something nobody's going to watch anyway.

I am sad about BBC3 because Don't Tell the Bride is brilliant television and nobody has talked about what's going to happen to that!

On a more political note, friend of mine who is an MP candidate for next spring came out in support of Murphy this morning :(. If he gets it, I'm definitely leaving Labour. And I don't know if it's been mentioned, but Blair McDougall who ran the No campaign is apparently going to be running Murphy's. Ughhhhh.

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

Seaside Loafer posted:

Well it is true ... go and look it up. And do you really think a potential employer is going to give a gently caress about the 1974 act when they have someone who doesnt have a record to choose from. They still show up on a CRB even if spent.

I didn't say that they don't show up on a DBS certificate (which few employers are allowed to actually check these days, and you can monitor who is checking up on you yourself online if you have a DBS certificate), that's the point of a DBS certificate, but that you don't need to disclose a spent caution (which become spent the moment you leave the police station) for a job when they ask about convictions. You stated that you didn't disclose your caution, and said that you were doing something you shouldn't be, I simply said that you weren't and what's more were protected from being dismissed if your caution came to light because it was already spent.

NACRO posted:

Applying for jobs
Many people think that once an offence is ‘spent’, it is wiped from the record. It is not. Rather, the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 gives people the right not to disclose ‘spent’ offences when applying for most jobs unless those jobs are exempt from the Act. Under the Act, a ‘spent’ conviction or caution shall not be proper grounds for not employing someone or for dismissing them. However, if applicants do not disclose ‘unspent’ convictions or cautions when asked to do so, they may be found out and dismissed on the grounds of having deceived the employer. In a few cases, they could be prosecuted.

The Act does not generally provide sufficient means of enforcing a person’s right not to be refused employment, a place on a college course or entry into a profession on the grounds of a ‘spent’ conviction. However, if an employee can prove that they have been dismissed for a ‘spent’ conviction and they have been in employment for two years or more, they may be able to claim unfair dismissal. It is considered automatically unfair to dismiss someone because of a ‘spent’ conviction (the employee will still need to meet the qualifying period to bring a claim at an employment tribunal).
If the role is covered by the Act, and the conviction is ‘unspent’ but the employer has not asked for disclosure of convictions, then there is no legal obligation on the applicant or employee to disclose it.

If you have been refused employment due to an illegal check that revealed a ‘spent’ caution or conviction or have dismissed because of a ‘spent’ conviction from a role that is covered by the Act or been dismissed by an employer due to a conviction that you have previously disclosed when you applied for the role, Nacro’s Resettlement Advice Service offers an advocacy service which may be able to assist you with seeking legal recourse against the employer which has acted unlawfully or unfairly. Please on: 020 7840 1212 or email us at helpline@nacro.org.uk.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

kapparomeo posted:

BBC3 gave us monkey dust.

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006

CoolCab posted:

What's the average age of people who still watch broadcast television? I'm going to guess it's more then a decade higher then it was when The Young Ones aired, bare minimum. You might as well ask why we don't have Saturday morning cartoons or Top Of The Pops anymore: the only audience who is still watching it is a lot closer to Dad's Army then they are daring, fresh content. There's about a trillion avenues for daring, fresh content. None of them are the BBC.

There's also a place for Dad's Army. His name is Dave.

Seriously though, given that 18 to 30s pay the same licence fee as the people who (still) watch Dad's Army, do the BBC not have a duty to that audience? I totally agree that that age group aren't watching telly any more, but is that exactly because the majority of broadcast media is for people aged 40+? What are the BBC going to do when the people for whom TV was the main media source all die off?

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun
Oddly enough, American TV has got a lot better in the last decade or so now that they're writing new and interesting drama series for adults, shows like Homeland, The West Wing and the new version of House of Cards. It always used to be the BBC that had the best authors and scriptwriters and came up with those sorts of programmes, but now the best TV is American, Canadian or Scandinavian and tends to be bought up by Channel 4. The Beeb'll have to go back to its roots in that respect if it wants to have that appeal again.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Clearly the solution is to sell the BBC to an American. I'm sure it doesn't matter who.

e/ We can give them a twofer on the NHS while we're at it.

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Nov 1, 2014

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

Stottie Kyek posted:

Oddly enough, American TV has got a lot better in the last decade or so now that they're writing new and interesting drama series for adults, shows like Homeland, The West Wing and the new version of House of Cards. It always used to be the BBC that had the best authors and scriptwriters and came up with those sorts of programmes, but now the best TV is American, Canadian or Scandinavian and tends to be bought up by Channel 4. The Beeb'll have to go back to its roots in that respect if it wants to have that appeal again.

This is bullshit.

What American TV has is volume and money.

The shows that people rave about, the Wires, Breaking Bads and Mad Men are mixed into an ocean of Honey BooBoo, Duck Dynasty and Hitler's Greatest Farts. The broadcast networks (CBS, NBC, ABC, Fox etc) churn out a diet of crime procedurals (CSI, NCIS etc) reality shows and drearily safe sitcoms, whereas the cable networks (HBO, Showtime, AMC, STARZ etc) that are often the source of the Mad Men's, Wires and Walking Deads, put huge amounts of money into a few shows and then replay the poo poo out of them, the rest of their line up being some of the most shockingly bad TV possible. In addition HBO and Showtime are subscription based and horrendously expensive.

The other side of the argument is the volume of TV production, the US networks are literally throwing poo poo against a wall and keeping the stuff that is profitable and pays absolutely no attention to actual artistic merit or public service. They will happily end programmes mid-story if the advertisers tell them to, because that's all that matters.

Cherry picking the West Wings, HoCs, Wires, Breaking Bads and Walking Deads as an argument against British TV is disingenuous to the extreme.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
British perceptions of American telly is a lot like popular perceptions of music in the 70s. All the really good songs time has filtered out and that are popular today were often not big hits at the time. Similarly the best American shows often struggle for viewership (Outliers like Breaking Bad or Sopranos are often enjoyed by mainstream fans for questionable reasons) but are good enough to be filtered out and brought here so we get an overly positive impression of American TV.

Similarly Americans often get an overly positive impression of British TV because most of our lovely rubbish doesn't make it over there.

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

HortonNash posted:

The other side of the argument is the volume of TV production, the US networks are literally throwing poo poo against a wall and keeping the stuff that is profitable and pays absolutely no attention to actual artistic merit or public service. They will happily end programmes mid-story if the advertisers tell them to, because that's all that matters.

I've seen the argument that whilst British TV often has too little money in it, American TV can suffer from too much. We do put out great shows, but we also know when to let them peter off and die. I think this is particularly obvious with comedies - many great UK comedy shows like Black Books have 2-3 seasons and then end. In the US they're kept on, every permutation of coupling and life event is played out and things constantly have to get bigger and more exaggerated...you end up on season 13, with Bernard struggling to manage his book store empire whilst keeping his relationship with the cleaner secret from his husband, Manny.

I wonder how the BBC and license fee will change as viewing patterns change. Maybe we will just have to increase taxes to fund it and scrap the license fee altogether. Naturally this will be very easy to kill when the budget is tight, but when so many people pick and choose what they watch via on demand services, it's hard to justify them paying £150.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

ReV VAdAUL posted:

British perceptions of American telly is a lot like popular perceptions of music in the 70s. All the really good songs time has filtered out and that are popular today were often not big hits at the time. Similarly the best American shows often struggle for viewership (Outliers like Breaking Bad or Sopranos are often enjoyed by mainstream fans for questionable reasons) but are good enough to be filtered out and brought here so we get an overly positive impression of American TV.

Similarly Americans often get an overly positive impression of British TV because most of our lovely rubbish doesn't make it over there.

hmm yes please tell me the Correct way to enjoy entertainment

The Beeb would do better to offer a subscription model to foreign markets so that you could get access to iPlayer from anywhere.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Gonzo McFee posted:

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/nov/01/scotland-vote-independence-poll-yougov

Tough.

Edit: Posting this not to summon Pissflaps and Gaylord to tell us that Oil prices have fallen as if they'll never rise again but to further show that Labour's "Squat in the middle and wait it all out until we're in power again" tactics are completely loving them.

100% of Scots need to stop whining. Boohoohoo we need a special government just for Scotland! Ah but Cornwall doesn't need a special government. The North of England, a place that truly suffers, that doesn't get free prescriptions and free higher education, they don't get a special government. Some random street near Birmingham that really hates the Tories, they don't get a special government.

Full federalization of the UK or nothing fuckos. You can take your selfish polls which show nothing but entitlement from a supposed leftist population and shove them up your arse.

In 2052 when Scotland has finally broken off via UDI (27% wanted independence it was totally legit) I hope militant northerners suicide bomb you as the class traitors you are.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Regarde Aduck posted:

100% of Scots need to stop whining. Boohoohoo we need a special government just for Scotland! Ah but Cornwall doesn't need a special government. The North of England, a place that truly suffers, that doesn't get free prescriptions and free higher education, they don't get a special government. Some random street near Birmingham that really hates the Tories, they don't get a special government.

Full federalization of the UK or nothing fuckos. You can take your selfish polls which show nothing but entitlement from a supposed leftist population and shove them up your arse.

In 2052 when Scotland has finally broken off via UDI (27% wanted independence it was totally legit) I hope militant northerners suicide bomb you as the class traitors you are.

lol

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Regarde Aduck posted:

You are just adorable.

Aromatic Stretch
Nov 4, 2009

Regarde Aduck posted:

You can take your selfish polls which show nothing but entitlement from a supposed leftist population and shove them up your arse.

Have you ever been to Scotland. It's mostly BMWs and 3 bedroom semi-detached Barratt homes.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Malcolm XML posted:

The Beeb would do better to offer a subscription model to foreign markets so that you could get access to iPlayer from anywhere.

They're actually working on that with iPlayer Worldwide (which seems to totally ignore any country they have, or have had in the past, a partner in) which I believe has full access to the BBC archives which actually makes it better in a way that the iPlayer that we have access to.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Am I the only person here who paid no attention to the Scotpol thread? Since it closed we're getting a lot of ... well, this, in here.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

Regarde Aduck posted:

Jim Murphy is that you?

Acaila
Jan 2, 2011

Beg your pardon Hungry :) I think plenty of us were happy with the separate thread, and leaving UKMT to rUK issues, but Regarde Aduck throwing hissy fits because he has some childhood trauma about kilts and Nessie got it shut down and the sudden massive rise in political literacy and interest amongst Scots means we are going to go somewhere.

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

Obliterati posted:

Jim Murphy is that you?

It's John McTernan

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

twoot posted:

It's John McTernan

I thought he was convinced the SNP were finished though? The Scotsman is still publishing his 'SNP dead' rants every other day even as these polls rise.

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

Obliterati posted:

I thought he was convinced the SNP were finished though? The Scotsman is still publishing his 'SNP dead' rants every other day even as these polls rise.

The SNP are finished, you'll know that Scotland united around Labour in 2010. It happened.

Read his twitter, it is an enlightening window into the continuing mind of New Labour.

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

ookiimarukochan posted:

They're actually working on that with iPlayer Worldwide (which seems to totally ignore any country they have, or have had in the past, a partner in) which I believe has full access to the BBC archives which actually makes it better in a way that the iPlayer that we have access to.

They need to give access to the BBC archive because they own very little of the programming outright these days thanks to the ridiculous way in which they are now forced to make programming (with outside production companies). They can only put programmes on to iplayer (either ours or worldwide) if they have the distribution rights to it, and with the exception of the BBC's own programming (e.g. Top Gear, DW etc) they have a limited time in which to put stuff up for streaming/download (30 days currently, although some programmes aren't available at all). They'd also need to restrict the stuff they put up if it is profitable to broadcast overseas (DW and TG spring to mind) as the iplayer will reduce the price they can charge networks to carry the really big shows.

With the home iplayer, I doubt we will ever get free access to the archives whilst there are channels like Dave and UKtV (or whatever UKGold is called now) willing to pay for the rights to repeat QI, TG and HIGNFY.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

twoot posted:

It's John McTernan

Didn't he direct Die Hard?

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

Jedit posted:

Didn't he direct Die Hard?

How excellent it would be if John McTernan did go to prison, alas no, he is not John McTiernan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Malcolm XML posted:

hmm yes please tell me the Correct way to enjoy entertainment

Sorry you idolise sociopaths and violent criminals I guess?

David Chase has repeatedly complained many viewers of The Sopranos were watching it for the tits and murders rather than the deeper themes he was hoping to engage viewers with. Then when he finally was blatant enough for the slower viewers to realise a violent, unfaithful and greedy criminal was bad they suddenly flipped and wanted the most violent possible death for Tony Soprano in order that he was punished.

The point is The Sopranos wasn't popular for the reasons it was good, it was a happy accident.

• Locked thread