Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth Steam Store page ($14.99, soundtrack $1.99)

Afterbirth DLC Expansion ($10.99)

Afterbirth+ DLC Expansion ($9.99)

Repentance DLC Expansion ($14.99) New!

The Original Binding of Isaac Steam Store page ($4.99)
Original BoI Wrath of the Lamb DLC page ($2.99)

What is the Binding of Isaac?
Here's the description on the Steam page for the original Binding of Isaac:

quote:

When Isaac’s mother starts hearing the voice of God demanding a sacrifice be made to prove her faith, Isaac escapes into the basement facing droves of deranged enemies, lost brothers and sisters, his fears, and eventually his mother. The Binding of Isaac is a randomly generated action RPG shooter with heavy Rogue-like elements. Following Isaac on his journey players will find bizarre treasures that change Isaac’s form giving him super human abilities and enabling him to fight off droves of mysterious creatures, discover secrets and fight his way to safety.

You are Isaac, trapped in the basement of your house. Unfortunately, you are not alone, as the basement is crawling with flies, spiders, and other monstrosities out to get you. The only thing you have to defend yourself with at the beginning are your tears. The basement (and other unknown depths below) is randomly generated; the levels have different layouts each time, with different monsters, random items, and other surprises. Basically it's a roguelike-type game that plays like classic The Legend of Zelda (or Smash TV, if you remember that), if roguelikes and Zelda were really, really hosed up.

The Binding of Isaac, released September 28, 2011, was created by Edmund McMillen, with the original game being programmed in Flash Actionscript by Florian Himsl. (Yes, this is a Flash game.) You may recognize McMillen as being approximately half of Team Meat, the team behind Super Meat Boy and the upcoming game Mew-genics. It also got a DLC update in May 2012 called Wrath of the Lamb, which adds a bunch of new items, new enemies, new room layouts, new room types, new floors, and a whole new set of endings. It's also really loving hard and I suggest not buying it until you are fully acquainted and nearly finished with all of the content from the original vanilla game.

Warning(?): The Binding of Isaac contains a sizable amount of dead baby jokes (or maybe just dead babies), tired memes, and crude humor. Somehow this manages to fit right in with the overall aesthetic of the game and not ruin it (in my opinion), but your results may vary.

Warning(?) #2: Yes this game is obtuse. Rebirth is also obtuse. Afterbirth even more so. It does not tell you everything. Figure things out! (Or look it up. See bottom of this post for cheat sheets!)

You can also play a demo of the original Binding of Isaac right here on Newgrounds. Also have some screenshots I shamelessly lifted from the original thread.

I even stole the joke one. Fantastic.

Okay, so what's Rebirth?
First, watch this trailer. (Warning: sorta :nws: and definitely really weird and terrifying. Also may cause seizures.)

Now then. The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth is a brand new remake being made by Nicalis, Inc. who you may remember as the ones behind 1001 Spikes, among other things. It's not being done in Flash this time (thank god), but in a whole new engine. It's also being released on PSN for PlayStation 4 and PlayStation Vita. As for the game itself, I'll let Steam speak for me again on this one:

quote:

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth is the ultimate of remakes with an all-new highly efficient game engine (expect 60fps on most PCs), all-new hand-drawn pixel style artwork, highly polished visual effects, all-new soundtrack and audio by the the sexy Ridiculon duo Matthias Bossi + Jon Evans. Oh yeah, and hundreds upon hundreds of designs, redesigns and re-tuned enhancements by series creator, Edmund McMillen. Did we mention the poop?

Key Features:

Over 500 hours of gameplay
4 BILLION Seeded runs!
20 Challenge runs
450+ items, including 160 new unlockables
Integrated controller support for popular control pads!
Analog directional movement and speed
Tons of feature film quality animated endings
Over 100 specialized seeds
2-Player local co-op
Over 100 co-op characters
Dynamic lighting, visual effects and art direction
All-new game engine @60FPS 24/7
All-new soundtrack and sound design
Multiple Save slots
Poop physics!
The ultimate roguelike
A bunch of achievements

All of those things in that list either surpass the original game or are brand-new, like the local co-op, RNG seed system, and :siren:controller support with analog controls:siren:. The soundtrack is not being handled by Danny B. this time around, but is instead being done by Ridiculon. Here's a preview. Sound effects are all new, too.

Basically, Rebirth is The Binding of Isaac, remade (or reborn, I guess I should say) from the ground up (and again, not in Flash!) and hopes to be better in practically every single way. Some screenshots:

And here, have a development blog filled with even more information! And screenshots! Animated screenshots! And videos! Dang!

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth is being released on PC, Mac, Linux, PlayStation 4 and the PlayStation Vita! Wow! It all comes out on November 4!

It has also been released on WiiU and Nintendo 3DS, if you have those systems. (Warning: buggy.)

Check out these sweet videos Edmund and Co. released during the game's development showing off sick new item combos and other nonsense. (Ever-so-slight spoiler warning, obviously)

-Seeded runs! (part 2)
-Early Beta
-New Monstro Item
-New Batteries
-PAX Prime Co-op Gameplay

For more stuff, go through the development blog linked above. There are a lot of GIFs of new items and features.

Afterbirth?
The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth is a DLC expansion to Rebirth that came out on October 30, 2015. It adds a lot more content, including a new game mode and a new character. It also makes the game a bit more bullshit, though.

Afterbirth Plus?
The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth Plus is another DLC expansion to Rebirth Afterbirth that came out on January 3, 2017. It adds even more content, modding tools, but even more bullshit (thanks Edmund). Buggy on release, but mostly fine now.

Repentance?
The Binding of Isaac: Repentance is the final DLC expansion, released March 31, 2021, which rolls in a lot of content from the fan-made Antibirth content mod. Adds even more content, including gimmicky variations of all the characters, new endgame content and bosses, and more! Also contains a whole buttload of changes to the game itself, including tweaks and balance changes. Opinions are mixed on some of the changes, but the new stuff seems great.

Resources for the Original BoI
Binding of Isaac Wiki
This wiki used to be poo poo. It's not now. That's about it.

Platinum God
A nice and easy cheat sheet. Very handy.

Xaiter's Binding of Isaac LP
A very informative playthrough and in-depth look at the game.

Here is a bunch of stuff on the original BoI grabbed from the previous thread, originally written by Torsade de Pointes.

Resources for Binding of Isaac: Rebirth
Platinum God
Platinum God's Rebirth cheat sheet. Up to date on all existing expansions.

BoI: Rebirth Wiki
Pretty comprehensive wiki that's up to date on all existing expansions.

Color Printer fucked around with this message at 04:54 on May 3, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

I hate the general aesthetic of this series and the pixels don't make it any better.

The gameplay though, oh man. I plan to play the gently caress out of this game. Not as much as some of your guys and your dozens and hundreds of hours in WotL though.

Controller support! It's almost like I'm not playing a flash game.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
A good thread, can't wait!

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
The aesthetic isn't spectacular, but Rebirth looks like a step forward in that aspect.

But screw it. I've played uglier games, and I know this one is gonna rule.

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

In case anyone didn't know, Rebirth will be free if you have PSN plus.

Kifisonfire
Jan 15, 2008

Dirt Taco Scuba posted:

This should probably go in the OP because it's huge. I'm so looking forward to this game on PS4.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Recently I've been watching Bisnap playing this game, and the guy has probably spent way beyond a thousand hours playing the original BoI. In one video I recently watched, he answered a question he'd gotten a lot lately, whether or not he would continue playing BoI after Rebirth comes out and his reply stuck with me; "no one will ever want to play BoI after Rebirth comes out." In his opinion, it's literally better at everything.
I'm stoked.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

Dirt Taco Scuba posted:

Kifisonfire posted:

This should probably go in the OP because it's huge. I'm so looking forward to this game on PS4.

Holy poo poo I had no idea. It's in the OP now, thanks!

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
I think it'll be pretty good. And not run like total garbage, hell yeah.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Also, It may come out for the 3DS and the WiiU. There have been hints on the hidden videos on the blog posts!

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

Color Printer posted:

Okay, so what's Rebirth?
First, watch this trailer. (Warning: sorta :nws: and definitely really weird and terrifying. Also may cause seizures.)

I was talking to a college friend I hadnt been in touch with for years, and while we were catching up she asks me if I've heard of the Binding of Isaac. I say yes, of course, and she proceeds to tell me about this video shoot that her friends did and that she went to where they got naked and danced around. I instantly knew what she was talking about.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
What time will this unlock on the 4th? is it 12:01? I may have to go to bed a little early, those first six or seven hours of gameplay aren't going to play themselves.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

SystemLogoff posted:

Also, It may come out for the 3DS and the WiiU. There have been hints on the hidden videos on the blog posts!

Has Nintendo relaxed on this at all? I know they declined having the original on the 3DS but they seem to have been willing to do more mature stuff now, Bayonetta 2 being a pretty key example.

Rashomon
Jun 21, 2006

This machine kills fascists
Super excited to get Platinum God on this and probably whatever level of additional achievements they added this time around (Diamond God??).

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

Full Battle Rattle posted:

What time will this unlock on the 4th? is it 12:01? I may have to go to bed a little early, those first six or seven hours of gameplay aren't going to play themselves.

I'm pretty sure it's the standard 10 AM Pacific Time (or noon Central) for Steam. As for PSN, uhhhh, that's a good question.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

Color Printer posted:

I'm pretty sure it's the standard 10 AM Pacific Time (or noon Central) for Steam. As for PSN, uhhhh, that's a good question.

Ah, thanks, that'll save me from trying to stay up. I honestly didn't know steam games had a general unlock time.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I feel like they really dropped the ball by not releasing this on Halloween.

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...

drunken officeparty posted:

I feel like they really dropped the ball by not releasing this on Halloween.

Ed wanted to but Sony wanted the game to release the first tuesday so it would be free with ps+ at launch, those bastards.

We could be playing rebirth right now. :argh:

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

Of course the first Tuesday I work in weeks has to be this Tuesday. :argh:

If you guys are into the speed running/racing community, Richard_Hammer and CobaltStreak are going to be playing and streaming Rebirth 24/7 in shifts until they 100% the game.

Lava Lamp Goddess fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Nov 1, 2014

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Lava Lamp Goddess posted:

If you guys are into the speed running/racing community, Richard_Hammer and CobaltStreak are going to be playing and streaming Rebirth 24/7 in shifts until they 100% the game.

Why would I watch that when I'm basically gonna be doing that myself? Minus the streaming of course. :v:

It's silly but this is one of the only games I've had genuine childish hype for in a long, long time.

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006
Not to be confused with endash or minus.
I've been racing Isaac for two and a half years, I've got probably 1500 hours spent, and I've won $1200 in tournaments for this game. I'm pretty excited for Rebirth right now.

bat duck
Jul 23, 2001

My only worry is that the screenshots look way to dark,I can barely make some of them out.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Jesus. How long do they think that will take them?

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007
If the ~500 hours to complete is accurate, then 20 days and 20 hours. Granted, being olds pros as they are for the game, I'd take off as much as 100 hours from that figure. However, I'd guess the psychological damage and fatigue they'd sustain from doing nothing but playing Rebirth might slow them down a bit, so it might just be a wash in the end.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Edit: Thanks for fixing that mistake. :)

Carbon dioxide fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Nov 1, 2014

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Dead baby jokes? I don't recall.

I do remember a lot of dead babies though.

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006
Not to be confused with endash or minus.
I give it four days before Dick and Cobalt finish.

Does anyone know if Edmund has given an estimate for how long he thinks platinum god takes in isaac? People have speedrun that and it takes well under 24 hours. We could multiply some ratios to get a possibly-better estimate for rebirth's 100%

Hyphen-ated fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Nov 1, 2014

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I'm most excited for the first week (year) that nobody has any idea what anything new does. The code was all run through and wiki completed by the time I discovered the first game.

birdlaw
Dec 25, 2006

Anchors posted:

If the ~500 hours to complete is accurate, then 20 days and 20 hours. Granted, being olds pros as they are for the game, I'd take off as much as 100 hours from that figure. However, I'd guess the psychological damage and fatigue they'd sustain from doing nothing but playing Rebirth might slow them down a bit, so it might just be a wash in the end.

Edmund has said that he thinks Cobalt will be the first person to 100% Rebirth, so he's gotta live up to that.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

that sounds like a profoundly terrible idea that would suck all joy out of playing it if not life itself

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
No word on what the Steam achievements/PS trophies will be yet, right? Saw something that seemed to indicate there'd be like 166 achievements for Steam, which seems like a lot until you remember most of the original's were item unlocks. I wanna know what kind of pain Ed and the Nicalis team have in store for us this time.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Tollymain posted:

that sounds like a profoundly terrible idea that would suck all joy out of playing it if not life itself

It will take most of us weeks or months I suppose, and that's perfectly fine.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
Oh man, only 3 more days. It's been a long time coming.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i was going to preorder it for pc using my loyalty discount, but i guess there's no reason to do that if psn gets it for free anyway

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Already pre-orded and can't wait to play it.
Of course the game is going to make me feel like I've never played it again with all the new crap :-(

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Shoot this guy in the face.

Fallen Rib
I have off on the 4th for Election Day in the US. Looking forward to getting to finally play any BoI game (my netbook hates Flash) when it hits the PSN.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream
CobaltStreak and Richard_Hammer's 24/7 nutso stream is definitely going to be worth checking out, they're pretty good (great?) players at the original Isaac and also pretty funny dudes. It'll probably be what I have on in the background while I'm working or don't feel like actually playing Rebirth.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Heran Bago posted:

I hate the general aesthetic of this series and the pixels don't make it any better.

The gameplay though, oh man. I plan to play the gently caress out of this game. Not as much as some of your guys and your dozens and hundreds of hours in WotL though.

Controller support! It's almost like I'm not playing a flash game.

Agreed. Between the art style, the scatological humor/dead babies/grimdark "lol xians" plot all straight out of late-90s Newgrounds, the unoptimized piece of poo poo Flash engine, and the smug as poo poo "Want to use a controller? Google Joy2Key :smuggo:" control scheme The Binding of Isaac was a game that really, really went out of its way to be unappealing despite having some stellar core gameplay.

The fact that after two years a twin-stick shooter finally has actual support for twin analogue sticks makes me look forward to inevitably snapping up Rebirth in a Humble Bundle or Steam sale a few months from now.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Flash doesn't have controller support, joy2key was an actual suggestion not smug elitism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Can't wait to get this on the PS4 on Tuesday. At least with the new share play option, it will be easy to do the local co-op online with a friend.