Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

Guys chill. Just turn on the flash graphical filter if you want the old Newgrounds style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Clever Spambot posted:

I'm really sick of pixel retro art styles but boy does it look way loving better than the newgrounds artstyle.

yeah, i generally only like pixel stuff if it's done well and rebirth definitely fits the bill and is also up against the really generic newgrounds flash style which isn't much of a contest

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
Not a huge fan of flash art but god drat if there arent a million pixel art Indie games out there and it is kinda boring at this point. I'll withhold judgment until I actually get to play the game and see how it looks in action.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

should have gone with a hand drawn crayon style

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i would have preferred a cubist style, to be honest

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
So what exactly can a 2D game look like if the art style can't look pixelated but it also can't look smooth like a flash game

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

a miserable pile of poop

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....

flatluigi posted:

So what exactly can a 2D game look like if the art style can't look pixelated but it also can't look smooth like a flash game

Good

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

yeah, i generally only like pixel stuff if it's done well and rebirth definitely fits the bill and is also up against the really generic newgrounds flash style which isn't much of a contest

It kind of helps that Ed pretty much, uh, made that Flash style over the years. I thought BoI looked great, but I'm also a huge fan of the new one too. :shrug:

Should I start playing on PS4 or my Mac though? Decisions, decisions. :ohdear:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I think both look pretty sweet tbh

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Sorry, now your game is pretentious, try again

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

on a mildly unrelated note that's not meant to take a side in anything, don't starve has a pretty cool 2d art style

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

flatluigi posted:

SMB/ Braid etc

I don't get people not liking "pixel art", it isn't really one monolithic thing other than that the pixels are visible. Terraria looks different from Starbound, Luftrausers looks different from Nuclear Throne and so on. If literally every game was trying to look like it was made on the SNES or something it would be dumb but that's not it; people use it because it's one of the easiest styles there is to pull off that actually looks good (newgrounds flash is probably easier but it's lacking in the 'looks good' part).

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I've seen Super Meat Boy get criticized as both looking like a flash game and being a pixel art platformer, so

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Ironically the fancy cinematics are probably the worst looking part of the game

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
The thing I like is good and the thing you like is bad

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
Tbh i dont feel that strongly about it, but i did start thinking the old graphics looked really bad once the new ones were revealed.

A Meat
Jun 28, 2013

CERTIFIED FRESH AS HELL DOC MAKER

New graphics look like something out of The Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap, which makes it a-ok in my book.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

Lava Lamp Goddess posted:

So when I try and pre-load on Steam, I get a message of 'Pre-load suspended' with the info saying 'Unable to pre-load (files still encrypted)'. Uh...?

Same with me. I wouldn't worry too much though, the game is only 449 MB, shouldn't be too much of a problem unless you live in Antartica or something.

Then again it is releasing Tuesday, and that is maintenance day...

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Lava Lamp Goddess posted:

Guys chill. Just turn on the flash graphical filter if you want the old Newgrounds style.

I doubt it's going to be the same as playing with things done in the original art style. It's probably just going to look like what happens if you play any older game on an emulator with a smoothing filter, i.e poo poo.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Has Ed had any word about modding the game?

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

So, just for anyone hoping to play the game early: It ain't gonna happen. The whole 'pre-load suspended' thing is apparently going to stay in place until 10am PST, and VPNing from Japan or Australia doesn't change the time until release, so I highly doubt at this point that any kind of trickery is possible.

That being said, I'm super loving stoked. 21 hours and counting!

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Eonwe posted:

I think both look pretty sweet tbh

Also tomorrow is going to be a long day at the office.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

I doubt it's going to be the same as playing with things done in the original art style. It's probably just going to look like what happens if you play any older game on an emulator with a smoothing filter, i.e poo poo.

look at the pictures of the smooth filter on the isaac dev blog. it looks a million times better the old game.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Steam is now saying pre-load completed for me. Any word on if this means VPN shenanigans will work yet?

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Kaethela posted:

Steam is now saying pre-load completed for me. Any word on if this means VPN shenanigans will work yet?

I'm pretty sure that since it's a set unlock time rather than timezone specific unlock that this won't work.

I just kinda want to know why they are unlocking at 10 PST rather than midnight though if they are going to give us the option to preload.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Yeah the pre-load seems to have gone live(~310MB).

\/\/ ~10am PST tomorrow

VDay fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Nov 3, 2014

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Pre-load completed, but when will the game be playable?

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Kurtofan posted:

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
But the fourth of November is in one hour :(

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Kurtofan posted:

But the fourth of November is in one hour :(

Hey, I've been living in fourth of November for about five minutes already, if I can tough it out then so can you Mr. Yesterday. :colbert:

CHOICE COD
Mar 11, 2007
Sometimes I'll eat money. Just to do it. Just to see how it feels. It feels good, it feels powerful.

Kurtofan posted:

10 AM PST (~20 hours from now).

Not Al-Qaeda
Mar 20, 2012

Color Printer posted:

Christ. They all most likely connect to the 178 secrets. That's a lot of poo poo to unlock. For the record, the original only had about 97 secrets. Rebirth has almost twice that. Yiiiiiiiiiiiiiikes.

gently caress it took me like forever to get the cheevo that's "get these 2 mom items on same run". some rng poo poo will be impossible

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Not Al-Qaeda posted:

gently caress it took me like forever to get the cheevo that's "get these 2 mom items on same run". some rng poo poo will be impossible

Even more of an excuse to play forever :unsmigghh:

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Brasseye posted:

look at the pictures of the smooth filter on the isaac dev blog. it looks a million times better the old game.

Do you have a link? Because that dev blog is like dozens of pages of unrelated poo poo that I'm not really too willing to filter through. I'd like to see how it actually looks since I'm not big on the pixel-art style either but filters in my experience usually just make it look like you're playing the normal game only it looks like someone rubbed vaseline on the camera lens.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

Do you have a link? Because that dev blog is like dozens of pages of unrelated poo poo that I'm not really too willing to filter through. I'd like to see how it actually looks since I'm not big on the pixel-art style either but filters in my experience usually just make it look like you're playing the normal game only it looks like someone rubbed vaseline on the camera lens.

I don't know how to link directly to it, but it's on the second page, four posts down. Also, you should really skim through the blog at least because there are some amazing gifs in there.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Absolutely go into there to see the game in motion. It looks good in still images, but it looks fantastic moving.

Here's an older teaser of a new item and some of its combinations, from the blog:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IW4CiNmfgL4

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Let's see how many weird looks I get playing this on the train tomorrow.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
Aaaand I'm gonna be stuck in meetings the next two evenings while the rest of you get your matricide on. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Ariong posted:

I don't know how to link directly to it, but it's on the second page, four posts down. Also, you should really skim through the blog at least because there are some amazing gifs in there.

http://bindingofisaac.com/post/97013539659/rebirth-gets-flashy

Click on the "posted <time> ago" link for a permalink.