Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Ariong posted:

I don't know how to link directly to it, but it's on the second page, four posts down. Also, you should really skim through the blog at least because there are some amazing gifs in there.

I was on the wrong blog, whoops.

Thanks, but yeah I'm gonna say my initial assessment was on point, it looks basically the same. I'm still stoked for this game and all and it does have a lot of good visual tweaks to make it look better and more dynamic than the original but I just do not care for the artstyle at all. The filter isn't really the solution I wanted either.

i'll deal with it but blech I don't like it, this has been your regularly scheduled complaining about things I don't like, carry on.

SuccinctAndPunchy fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Nov 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

Ariong posted:

I don't know how to link directly to it, but it's on the second page, four posts down. Also, you should really skim through the blog at least because there are some amazing gifs in there.

That's probably the best pixel filter I've seen but it still looks like garbage.

birdlaw
Dec 25, 2006

I sucked at the original for the longest time, and up until a couple of weeks ago hadn't even managed to reach the Mom's foot fight. But tonight I managed to unlock both the D6 and the D20... Just in time to never play the game again.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
I wonder if you can use seeds that net you certain items to complete achievements. If so, then 178 achievements would probably be trivial with a seed that gives you say, Epic Fetus on floor one.

NoUU
Mar 8, 2013

Full Battle Rattle posted:

I wonder if you can use seeds that net you certain items to complete achievements. If so, then 178 achievements would probably be trivial with a seed that gives you say, Epic Fetus on floor one.

Nope, seeded runs won't unlock anything.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
I mean you'll probably be able to do that with Cheat Engine after all the values get found in a week or two, although that obviously kind of defeat the entire purpose of achievements.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
looking at the gorgeous blue floor tiles, and watching that video with monstro's lung + extra items I honestly cannot understand why anyone would dislike this art style. its taken every last thing about the original and improved it.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

VideoGames posted:

looking at the gorgeous blue floor tiles, and watching that video with monstro's lung + extra items I honestly cannot understand why anyone would dislike this art style. its taken every last thing about the original and improved it.

It looks better than the original by virtue of better tech running under the hood, but I still don't like the artstyle.

The two things are somewhat divorced from one another.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

It looks better than the original by virtue of better tech running under the hood, but I still don't like the artstyle.

If you liked the original and think the new art is better I don't understand how you don't like the new art.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....

I didn't actually read and comprehend your post but i also strongly disagree with it.

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003

flatluigi posted:

If you liked the original and think the new art is better I don't understand how you don't like the new art.

I think what he's getting at is that there's a difference between graphics and art style. Yeah the game technically looks better because they're doing more with lighting and what not, but the art style is not the same.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

flatluigi posted:

It is technically a better looking game, this much is fact. I do not like the new style artistically, I just generally ain't that fond of the blockier style. I don't think this is a complicated opinion.

anyway the actual point was the saying of "anyone who liked the old artstyle can just use the filters!". This isn't actually true because a filter is a filter, and filters look like rear end. This isn't like a huge dealbreaker for me or anything, just saying.

Clever Spambot posted:

I didn't actually read and comprehend your post but i also strongly disagree with it.

lol

SuccinctAndPunchy fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Nov 4, 2014

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
You guys are unironocally bickering about the ~artistic style~ of a game that generally involves tossing tears, urine, feces, and whatever other bodily fluids you can think of back and forth with your enemies.

:getout:

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Thanks for a great contribution to this discussion.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

See I don't understand because it looks just like the original only dressed up. Everything is the same. Its not like its now multicoloured and set in a luscious rainforest. Its the same looking Isaac just with a better engine. The art style hasn't changed.

Scratch-O
Apr 27, 2009

My goodness!

I am trying to have a deep and insightful debate about the mediocre art style of the hosed up crying baby game, DAD

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx
Are video games art?

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop
Can't you just say that the aesthetic doesnt feel the same to you? That seems more clear than whatever it is you are saying

Tbh it took a while for the aesthetic to grow on me. I didn't play the game even though I had it for a long while just because of the way it looked. Its still not exactly my jam, but the game was so fantastic I plat god'ed it.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Afraid of Audio posted:

Are video games art?
I feel like your avatar already decided.

But yes, they are.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Scratch-O posted:

I am trying to have a deep and insightful debate about the mediocre art style of the hosed up crying baby game, DAD

all fun and games until someone has a minor quibble that you don't agree with, right

Logan 5 posted:

Can't you just say that the aesthetic doesnt feel the same to you? That seems more clear than whatever it is you are saying

No, because that doesn't actually properly convey my opinion. That's actually somehow even vaguer and less helpful, I don't dislike it because its not the same, I dislike it pretty much because I don't like the blocky pixel-art look. But on the technical end of things, the graphics look significantly better, I just don't dig the change of art style that went with these improvements. I submit that I'm grappling with concepts I definitely do not have the vocabulary to properly express to explain myself and that it's pretty petty poo poo anyway, so I think I we can stop.

HOW ABOUT THAT LIGHTING drat

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

I have preloaded. I am ready for tomorrow.

....oh god I don't think I'm ready at all :gonk:

EDIT: My opinion on the art style: I don't normally go for retro because it's the Lowest-Hanging Indie Fruit, but this seems more like hand-drawn pixel art that just happens to look a little retro. (Okay, quite a bit retro, but not completely.) Also the graphic effects (like the ripple effect when Monstro lands) make it seem much cooler and less retro. Overall I like it. It is far prettier than ugly old Flash sprites.

Color Printer fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Nov 4, 2014

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Seems at least on par for a discussion that's essentially been pages of "my opinion is better than yours" over and over.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
Pre-loaded my PC copy, anxiously hoping that PSN updates super early tomorrow so I can play during lunch at work (and on the way home).

I am ready. Do your worst :getin:

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I'm sure I'll get used to the new artstyle just like I got used to the old one.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
It really bothers me that I don't find Isaac disgusting anymore

Eggie
Aug 15, 2010

Something ironic, I'm certain
Preloaded it. I'm not ready. I doubt I'll get anywhere. This is Hell.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
Same here. Preloaded on all of my PCs. Every single one now has Isaac ready to be reborn.

Re: the pixelised retro look. I find it ok-ish. Isaac looks a bit weird, but I'll probably get used to that. I thought the flash version used vector graphics, which is why it could make the characters go smaller or extra extra huge and still not look pixelized (at least that was my guess). I don't know how this will work in the new game (I mean breaking the game and eg becoming extra huge).

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Color Printer posted:

I have preloaded. I am ready for tomorrow.

....oh god I don't think I'm ready at all :gonk:

Are you going to try to delve into the code of this one too? :v:

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Kaethela posted:

Are you going to try to delve into the code of this one too? :v:

It's made in C++, if I remember hearing right, and not flash so it's going to be a lot harder. And by that I mean "probably impossible".

So...probably not, no. Unless "try" means "try for about a minute".

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Koramei posted:

It really bothers me that I don't find Isaac disgusting anymore

desensitization is a wonderful and horrifying thing

much like this game

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I'm not a huge fan of the art style, and my kid loved the art style in the original, so I'll probably try the new one for a bit, then enable the filter if he doesn't like it :shrug:

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

i cant wait, i only recently got platinum god for the second time so i'm so ready!!

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away
Edmund is streaming Rebirth for Twin Galaxies. There's also a whole lot of other poo poo on stream.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Color Printer posted:

It's made in C++, if I remember hearing right, and not flash so it's going to be a lot harder. And by that I mean "probably impossible".

So...probably not, no. Unless "try" means "try for about a minute".

What, can't look at assembly and just parse it like your avatar? =P

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Shame this won't unlock until Noon CST.

Steam! :argh:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Silentman0 posted:

Edmund is streaming Rebirth for Twin Galaxies. There's also a whole lot of other poo poo on stream.

That is an abortion of a stream

but I need my BoI:R fix

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Leo is an item based on one of the 12 astrological symbols which lets you smash through blocks without bombs.

e: hm, devil room had a new type of "dark heart" collectable

When they're depleted, they do a necronomicon attack on the room, so an evil counterpart to the spiritheart.

tithin fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Nov 4, 2014

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I wonder what those black hearts are

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Pentagram showed up in the devil room by itself, huh.

e: man, these big rooms

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Nov 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
That is by far the most painful setup for a stream I've ever seen.