Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Urcher posted:

Word cloud for October:

A terror the likes of which you've never seen...

Coming to theaters December 2014:

CULTURE OF THE LIVING BURQAS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Budzilla posted:

Is QLD still the shittest state? I live near Brisbane CBD and I can't imagine things getting much worse.

I can. If you want to see how things could still get much worse, just try looking up some US news!

quote:

I haven't read much Australian politics recently and I am much happier for it.

Never mind, this is probably a good idea.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Jesus Tasmania, what the hell.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Fat Dumb Men, the algorithm knows.

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein
There's a tiny little "ABC" in the middle of an enormous "culture"

Foreman Domai
Apr 2, 2010

"In one dimension I find existence, in two I find life, but in three, I find freedom."
My younger brother just got back from a school trip to Canberra. They met Warren Truss in his office, and he apparently spent half an hour rambling about how the Nationals are the champions of country people and also about how much he hated Gough Whitlam.

Foreman Domai fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Nov 2, 2014

i got banned
Sep 24, 2010

lol abbottwon
Let's get Revolver into the word cloud

googs as well

While we are relating anecdotes, a guy at the bar was waxing lyrical about how Hawke was a rhode scholar and Abbott was a rhode scholar and how Abbott was the best thing to happen to this country. This guy also yelled at an ambo because he hated unions.

He is fat.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

http://melbourneskeptics.com.au/2014/10/new-csiro-head-wants-to-make-water-divining-easier-for-farmers/

So, the new head of CSIRO is a venture capitalist who believes in water dowsing? Nearly had me that time, parody news site.

Kim Jong ill
Jul 28, 2010

NORTH KOREA IS ONLY KOREA.

Amoeba102 posted:

http://melbourneskeptics.com.au/2014/10/new-csiro-head-wants-to-make-water-divining-easier-for-farmers/

So, the new head of CSIRO is a venture capitalist who believes in water dowsing? Nearly had me that time, parody news site.

The leadership of this country is just unequivocally hosed. I cannot imagine why any young scientist would want to stay here a moment longer than they absolutely have to.

Pred1ct
Feb 20, 2004
Burninating

Urcher posted:

Word cloud for October:

Africa: Different, Terrible

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Kim Jong ill posted:

The leadership of this country is just unequivocally hosed. I cannot imagine why any young scientist would want to stay here a moment longer than they absolutely have to.

How would you go about watching for brain-drain from Australia over the rest of the decade?

Further, could you talk about how the xenophobic attitudes of your government has an impact on your higher education system? For instance, in America we've underfunded our domestic higher education to such an extent that foreign students paying sticker price in corrupt cash are much more preferable to domestic students from a profit-standpoint, which raises the cost for all domestic students due to facing foreign competition for a limited number of slots.

Would your government's policies result in a brain drain and a reduced rate of educational achievement and foreign educational capture, or what?

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

I hate to advocate emptyquoting or shitposting to anyone, but they've always worked for me.

My Imaginary GF posted:

How would you go about watching for brain-drain from Australia over the rest of the decade?

Further, could you talk about how the xenophobic attitudes of your government has an impact on your higher education system? For instance, in America we've underfunded our domestic higher education to such an extent that foreign students paying sticker price in corrupt cash are much more preferable to domestic students from a profit-standpoint, which raises the cost for all domestic students due to facing foreign competition for a limited number of slots.

Would your government's policies result in a brain drain and a reduced rate of educational achievement and foreign educational capture, or what?

The brain drain has been going for at least a decade now. The reason it's coming to the fore now is because the CSIRO - our federal research organisation - has been defunded to the point of wondering why they weren't just shutdown. It doesn't even make sense from a neoliberal perspective since the CSIRO holds a few patents related to radio antenna design which underpin the wifi in basically every phone and laptop on the planet, so they're insanely profitable. They've managed something like a 1.5 or 2:1 return on investment for ages. It's just straight up anti-intellectualism.

Higher education here is already supported by foreign students paying full fees since university fees for local students are capped to prevent local students being priced out. We're Asia's closest English speaking neighbour, so it makes sense. The current government, comprised of people who received a free university education and fought tooth and nail to avoid paying fees of $200, wants to remove that cap. Universities have said there'll be about a 30% increase on day one.

We've had problems with violence against international students becoming publicised both here and overseas before, and it probably has cost us tourism and student dollars, but we haven't seen a mass exodus of international students due to xenophobia. On an individual level, I'm sure they could all tell you some pretty horrible stories though.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Smegmatron posted:

Higher education here is already supported by foreign students paying full fees since university fees for local students are capped to prevent local students being priced out. We're Asia's closest English speaking neighbour, so it makes sense. The current government, comprised of people who received a free university education and fought tooth and nail to avoid paying fees of $200, wants to remove that cap. Universities have said there'll be about a 30% increase on day one.

We've had problems with violence against international students becoming publicised both here and overseas before, and it probably has cost us tourism and student dollars, but we haven't seen a mass exodus of international students due to xenophobia. On an individual level, I'm sure they could all tell you some pretty horrible stories though.

What we have in Illinois is lock-in tuitionx where your rates are capped at your year of entry and you can't be charged for any credits over 15 which you take per semester.

The big issue isn't whether foreign nationals are willing to attend your schools; the issue is the capture rate for them once they finish their education. For Chinese in America, I believe the last time I heard about the rates, they were >50%. What I'm wondering is whether those students are attending your schools and then loving off back home, to another commonwealth nation, or to America.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Since Howard changed the immigration laws I think lots of them are loving off back home. Education's one of our bigger export industries from memory.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Since Howard changed the immigration laws I think lots of them are loving off back home. Education's one of our bigger export industries from memory.

Anecdote only, but most of the international students I know are planning to return home, and are simply getting Australian degrees as they consider them higher quality than the Chinese equivalents (mostly due to Chinese unis being perceived as being entirely pay-your-way)

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

I hate to advocate emptyquoting or shitposting to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
The department of immigration hates non-whites unless they're disgustingly rich. It's difficult for any foreign graduate to stay, despite recent changes to make it easier.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Smegmatron posted:

The department of immigration hates non-whites unless they're disgustingly rich. It's difficult for any foreign graduate to stay, despite recent changes to make it easier.

Yeeeeeeep.

Like when they conveniently seem to misplace a test result.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
BANNING LIVING BURQAS
That sums up our asylum seeker policy.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Anidav posted:

BANNING LIVING BURQAS
That sums up our asylum seeker policy.

Man, that's such a French policy.

America's policy is offer a more free and democratic life where everyone wants to join in and nobody really wants to wear a burqas cause doesnt that like totally make it harder to go clubbing and poo poo?

Too bad to hear about your foreign national brain drain. At least America uses foreigners to subsidize a better life.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
I can't wait for summer to actually start, it'll be fun.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

My Imaginary GF posted:

Man, that's such a French policy.

America's policy is offer a more free and democratic life where everyone wants to join in and nobody really wants to wear a burqas cause doesnt that like totally make it harder to go clubbing and poo poo?
Virtually nobody wears a burqa here either.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
I can't believe Tasmania is looking good.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

How do I tell whether I'm Australian?

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.
I can't believe it's not butter summer.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

drunkill posted:

Whats the deal with the part near the SA NT border? Why is that cooler than the entire area around it?

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

drunkill posted:

You can't fool me, that's just a very abstract goatse. :colbert:

Nuclear Spy
Jun 10, 2008

feeling under?

Zenithe posted:

Whats the deal with the part near the SA NT border? Why is that cooler than the entire area around it?
Doesn't really answer your question, but the climate zone map helps explain a bit:

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Uhh its lining up with some grasslands in what is otherwise desert?

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please

Arglebargle III posted:

How do I tell whether I'm Australian?

What are your thoughts on minorities?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Nibbles! posted:

What are your thoughts on minorities?

Terrorists and dancers who have it too easy.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

Arglebargle III posted:

Terrorists and dancers who have it too easy.

bad news friend :(

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please
You're suited for public office.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Nuclear Spy posted:

Doesn't really answer your question, but the climate zone map helps explain a bit:

This really needs to be a bit more complex

Foreman Domai
Apr 2, 2010

"In one dimension I find existence, in two I find life, but in three, I find freedom."
VoteCompass for the Victoria election is up on the ABC website, in case anyone is interested.

Nuclear Spy
Jun 10, 2008

feeling under?

webmeister posted:

This really needs to be a bit more complex
This Australian Bureau of Statistics document on Australian Deserts, Climatic Aspects of Australia's Deserts might have the answer:

quote:

The Australian desert region using the BoM classification scheme is shown in map S1. This shows that desert climates (or arid areas) occupy most of the western and central interior of the continent. It also shows that some areas traditionally thought of as deserts are, in fact, semi-arid under this classification, notably the area around Alice Springs (Northern Territory) and the coastal fringe of the Nullarbor Plain (Western and South Australia). Both these areas are cooler than surrounding regions (Alice Springs because of its high elevation, the Nullarbor because of its proximity to the moderating influence of the coast), and around Alice Springs the mountains also play a role in increasing rainfall relative to the surrounding plains.

quote:

While the coldest air masses to affect the desert are usually far too dry for any precipitation by the time they get there, very occasionally, snow flurries may fall in a few parts of the region. Snow was observed falling at Uluru (Ayers Rock), in the Northern Territory, in July 1997 and east of Norseman (Western Australia) in June 2005, and probably occurs more frequently (possibly a couple of times per decade) on the highest peaks of the MacDonnell (Northern Territory) and Musgrave Ranges (northern South Australia) (image S6). On the southernmost fringe of the desert, the higher parts of the Flinders Ranges get snow heavy enough to settle once or twice per decade, with a particularly significant fall occurring, somewhat out of season, in October 1995.
The MacDonnell and Musgrave ranges are found here:

i got banned
Sep 24, 2010

lol abbottwon
I am literally a communist according to that vote compass

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
What was Australia like during the neolithic era?

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

My Imaginary GF posted:

Probably a lot more interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hocus Pocus
Sep 7, 2011

My Imaginary GF posted:

Markedly less knuckle dragging

• Locked thread