Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Boat people came and went as they pleased

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/nov/02/brisbane-airport-rejects-climate-change-billboard-as-too-political?CMP=soc_567

quote:

Brisbane airport rejects climate change billboard as ‘too political’
Brisbane airport has rejected an advertising billboard depicting a farmer calling for action on climate change on the grounds that the issue is “too political”.

Environment and development groups had sought to place the billboard in the airport’s arrivals hall in time for the G20 leaders’ meeting in two weeks time.

Linked with a social media campaign, it originally said “Action on climate change is #onmyagenda, Dear G20 leaders please put it on yours” a reference to Australia’s resistance to having climate change on the G20 agenda at all.

The groups then agreed to remove the words “Dear G20 leaders” – leaving the billboard to read simply “Action on climate change is #onmyagenda, please put it on yours”.

But according to WWF chief executive Dermot O’Gorman, media buyer Ooh!media replied that the airport was still rejecting the billboard, which features South Australian farmer David Bruer, “because they consider climate change as being too political”.

Another billboard, with the same message, featuring firefighter Dean McNulty, will be erected on the route leaders are likely to take to the site of the G20 meeting.

“The #onmyagenda partners were surprised by the decision to reject the billboard. The reality is climate change is a global problem affecting economies, societies and environments all around the world, we can’t afford to sweep it under the carpet, we owe it to future generations to deal with it right here, right now,” O’Gorman said.

Bruer, who owns a vineyard in South Australia, told Guardian Australia he was “surprised more than anything else”.

“They say climate change is political. Actually it is a reality for farmers like me,” Bruer said. He lost $25,000 worth of grapes in one day last year when the temperature reached 46 degrees C.

Australia has reluctantly conceded that climate change can be included in a single brief paragraph of the G20 leaders’ communique after heavy lobbying by the US and European nations.

The government had resisted any discussion of climate at the Brisbane meeting on the grounds that the G20 is primarily an economic forum, but other nations argued leaders’ agreements at meetings like the G20 are crucial to build momentum towards a successful international deal at the United Nations conference on climate change in Paris next year.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
It makes sense for an airport to not want to have climate change advertising, large volume air travel is unsustainable.

i got banned
Sep 24, 2010

lol abbottwon
Everyone is aware that Adani have the rights to Abbot point? Coal is good, renewable energy bad.

http://www.greenpeace.org/australia/Global/australia/volunteer/Adani's%20record.pdf

Their track record is awful and this world is a corrupt poo poo hole full of self serving sociopaths.

quote:

Introduction

Adani, an Indian resources, logistics and energy company with big expansion plans was founded by
Indian billionaire, Gutram Adani, in 1988. It has coal mining interests in India, Indonesia and
Australia and plans to feed the coal from these into a series of massive coal power stations in India.
The company has built a huge 4,620 MW power station at Mundra and plans to construct two more
very large coal power stations at other locations in Gujarat, and is developing three other coal
station projects in Maharashtra, Rajasthan and Madhya Pradash. By 2020 the company hope to have
a generating capacity of 20,000 MW.
Adani also has significant interests in ports with a presence in six across India. It owns and runs
Mundra, the largest privately owned port in the country. Located in Gujarat the port, according to
Adani, contains the world’s largest coal receiving terminal, and is linked to thousands of hectares of
special economic zone (SEZ), also owned by Adani and two very large coal power stations (one
Adani, one owned by Tata).
Adani also distributes gas in India and has domestic and overseas oil and gas exploration permits.
Here, in Australia, Adani owns the existing coal terminal at Abbot Point and has coal export terminal
expansion plans there and at the port of Hay Point. It is also the proponent of the proposed 60
Million tonne per annum Carmichael mine in Queensland’s Galilee Basin. Adani plans to integrate its
business interests: burning coal from its Australian mines in its Indian power stations, transported
through its own ports.

Mundra

Adani began construction of a port at Mundra in the late 1990s, with commercial operations
commencing in 2001. Since then the company has pursued an incredibly fast paced expansion
strategy with the port and connected Special Economic Zone (SEZ) now covering thousands of
hectares. This development has come at a significant cost. Construction of the port has resulted in
destruction of mangroves and has severely impacted creeks, mudflats and the intertidal area.
Artisanal fishermen have worked this part of Gujarat coast for generations, basing themselves close
to the sea for many months of the year. Their way of life has been severely disrupted, as has that of
the many villagers whose land has been swallowed by the SEZ.

Illegal Iron ore transportation and bribery

An investigation by the Karnataka anti-corruption ombudsman (Lokayukta) uncovered a major
scandal. He found that Adani Enterprises and other port operators were actively involved in large
scale illegal exports of the iron ore resulting in “huge” economic losses to the Government. The
investigation’s report details how, at its port in the south western state of Karnataka, the company
routinely received trucks overloaded with iron ore. In doing so the company was involved in the
theft of substantial quantities of iron ore. It also received illicit iron ore at its plot at Belekeri port
from a number of suppliers who lacked permits to supply ore to that port. Documents seized from
Adani’s offices indicated that the company had been paying cash bribes to officials of the Port
department, Customs, Police, State Pollution Control Board, Weights and Measurement
Department, Local politicians and others. The bribes were paid to receive “undue favour for illegal
exports”.

There's more if you follow the link. This is right up the Liberals alley though with all that corruption and hush money.

Look where Abbot point is in relation to the reef.

This country is a loving poo poo hole, seriously. And yet Liberal voters think the Greens are crazy. What a world we live in.

i got banned fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Nov 3, 2014

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Didn't realise it was that close to the Whitsundays.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

My Imaginary GF posted:

What was Australia like during the neolithic era?

There's actually a surprisingly good wikipedia article about it

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

NTRabbit posted:

Boat people came and went as they pleased

There was even a land bridge with Indonesia during the last ice age.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Doctor Spaceman posted:

There was even a land bridge with Indonesia during the last ice age.
Lucky we are smashing that part of the people smugglers business model with coal fired global warming :smug:

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-11-03/surgeons-urge-weight-loss-surgery-in-public-health-system/5861398

quote:

Surgeons urge authorities to make weight loss procedures available in public health system

Two leading Sydney surgeons are calling on health authorities to make weight loss surgery available in the public health system to prolong people's lives and save the public purse from the costs of obesity-related illnesses.

In an editorial in the Medical Journal of Australia, Michael Edye, professor of surgery at the University of Western Sydney, and Dr Michael Talbot, senior lecturer in surgery at St George Hospital, said Australian patients were missing out on life-saving treatment because they could not afford it.

Sensible idea, IMO

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Seems like a good idea to me. What are the chances of it actually happening though?

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Recently watched a documentary called "Fed Up" which basically analyses the food industry and diet in Americans, of which we have many similarities to over here.

There was a section about surgery to help the situation and why it can be a good thing. However, it points the blame away from the real culprits in the food industry who get rich by making people sick and forcing governments pay millions of dollars in unnecessary health services for 100% avoidable health problems.

Get maccas to pay for them.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

And here I was expecting to find an article about Vietnamese brass drums.

Zenithe posted:

Recently watched a documentary called "Fed Up" which basically analyses the food industry and diet in Americans, of which we have many similarities to over here.

There was a section about surgery to help the situation and why it can be a good thing. However, it points the blame away from the real culprits in the food industry who get rich by making people sick and forcing governments pay millions of dollars in unnecessary health services for 100% avoidable health problems.

What are amphetamine regulations like in Australia? In America, we used to eat way worse while taking more meth and laxatives.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Zenithe posted:

Yeah a junk food tax isn't a bad idea.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
A junk food tax would only work if it was also used to increase the availability of and decrease the cost of healthier foods.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Amethyst posted:

Yeah a junk food tax isn't a bad idea.

Except that this would effectively be a poor tax.

Regulation of the food industry would be a better idea, and it'd pay for itself by reducing the costs of medicare.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

It wouldn't be a poor tax because Mcdonald's aren't idiots and they know their market. They would work to change their recipes to fall outside of the tax-incurring sugar/salt/fat levels. McDonalds aren't going to sell 8 dollar burgers

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Splode posted:

I agree, we shouldn't tax cigarettes or alcohol or CO2 emissions.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Splode posted:

You don't need to be rich to eat healthy.

You do need to be decently educated in nutrition though, and I'm guessing the two are correlated to a certain degree.

quote:

Regulation of the food industry would be a better idea, and it'd pay for itself by reducing the costs of medicare.

Regulating what exactly? Nutrition content?

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

GoldStandardConure posted:

A junk food tax would only work if it was also used to increase the availability of and decrease the cost of healthier foods.

Yeah this is important, along with ending our reliance on cars and improving public transport and cycling infrastructure.

One day when I have time I would really like to write out a huge cycling post with questions for Cartoon. I find the issue very interesting.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

How would junk food industry regulation work? Cutting out junk food advertising targetting kids is an obvious start but I can't think of another viable policy to really solve the problem outside of a simple tax.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Amethyst posted:

How would junk food industry regulation work? Cutting out junk food advertising targetting kids is an obvious start but I can't think of another viable policy to really solve the problem outside of a simple tax.

In America, its a really complex issue because the question rapidly becomes, what do you tax and what do you define as falling within that tax?

Does a beer which uses added fruits and sugars during production fall under your tax scheme?

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

We already have massive taxes on Beer so no worries there.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Amethyst posted:

We already have massive taxes on Beer so no worries there.

I'm genuinely surprised and deeply sorry for your unfortunate situation.

What about apple ciders? Are small-brews/distillaries taking off in Australia? In North America, there is a 6 month 23 day backlog on used bottling machines.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

All alcoholic beverages are taxed according to how strong they are. I'm finding it difficult to find a succinct summary of the rate.

There are some small breweries over here but they tend to get swallowed up into large conglomerates as soon as they gain a bit of market traction. It is nowhere close to the level craft breweries in the US

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

It feels like the microbrewery situation is a lot better than it was 5-10 years ago, but I've got nothing to back that up.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Amethyst posted:

All alcoholic beverages are taxed according to how strong they are. I'm finding it difficult to find a succinct summary of the rate.

This can't be right, or at least not consistent. You can get ~40 standards in a box of goon for less than $15

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Apparently we pay an average of $1 per shot in tax for spirits.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Zenithe posted:

This can't be right, or at least not consistent. You can get ~40 standards in a box of goon for less than $15

Yeah I'm trying to comprehend the documents from the ATO and it's an insanely complicated mess of exceptions and thresholds. A tax accountant could build an entire career of this one thing, it seems.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Excise rates for alcohol in Australia.

E: I think. And it's a mess.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Mad Katter posted:

One day when I have time I would really like to write out a huge cycling post with questions for Cartoon. I find the issue very interesting.
Me too :)

Forget taxation the best public health initiative is proper labelling. Red/Orange/Green is the preferred health outcome model and study, after study has shown it to be cheap, easy and effective.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Some formula based on the amount of sugar/salt/calories per gram would do it.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Cartoon posted:

Me too :)

Forget taxation the best public health initiative is proper labelling. Red/Orange/Green is the preferred health outcome model and study, after study has shown it to be cheap, easy and effective.

Yeah which is why the industry voluntarily came up with the standard of putting kilojoule values all over everything before someone forced them to conform to a system that doesn't make consumers perform triple digit arithmetic in their heads.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Amethyst posted:

simple tax wouldn't be that simple, as it requires a definition of junk food. You can bet your bottom dollar it'd take mcdonalds and the other chains about a week to have gotten around the legislation, and the food would still be unhealthy.

Also the 'you can eat healthy even if you're poor' isn't all that accurate for a bunch of reasons, but the one that I think is most important is time. Eating healthy can be cheap, but requires you to prepare every meal yourself. People who are working fulltime don't always have this luxury, and would have to make a bunch of sacrifices to their free time or sleep to actually do it.

Also lol if you think knowing that junk food is unhealthy actually effects how much you eat it.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

The food industry don't help, but they're just doing what they can to make money. Governments are the responsible parties in this whole issue, particularly their planning departments.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Splode posted:

simple tax wouldn't be that simple, as it requires a definition of junk food. You can bet your bottom dollar it'd take mcdonalds and the other chains about a week to have gotten around the legislation, and the food would still be unhealthy.

Also the 'you can eat healthy even if you're poor' isn't all that accurate for a bunch of reasons, but the one that I think is most important is time. Eating healthy can be cheap, but requires you to prepare every meal yourself. People who are working fulltime don't always have this luxury, and would have to make a bunch of sacrifices to their free time or sleep to actually do it.

Also lol if you think knowing that junk food is unhealthy actually effects how much you eat it.

Well, what is a practical solution then?

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Amethyst posted:

Well, what is a practical solution then?

1. Food that is prepared from other ingredients (doesn't cover fruit & vege)
2. Food that is wholly intended to be eaten as-is, rather than as a component of other food items (doesn't cover insta-meals)
3. Food that exceeds a certain amount of sugar/salt/fat/energy content per gram

Simple.

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug

Zenithe posted:

You do need to be decently educated in nutrition though

This is much harder than it sounds. At the very least, there is a massive amount of, if not directly contradictory, then very confusing information out there. 10 years ago if you ate eggs a couple times a week, your loving DOCTOR would tell you that you're going to have a heart attack by age 12 (minor exaggeration, you get my point). Nowadays it's just 'eat all the eggs. Maybe not a dozen per day but enjoy those drat tasty eggs'. Fat was just 'fat'. Now there's simple fats, complicated fat, good fats, bad fats, trans fats, good cholesterol, bad cholesterol, on and on the list goes. Every 5-10 years the whole concept of 'a healthy diet' seems to have had huge changes, if not complete re-writes. Paleo poo poo, the food pyramid, Atkins, activated almonds, free radicals in the body.. who the gently caress knows what you're supposed to concentrate on eating/avoiding anymore?

At a certain point, I would argue for most people it just becomes an incomprehensible noisy mess and you just say 'gently caress it, bacon and eggs for breakfast three times a week, muesli and yoghurt for another 3, then on the 5th day of the test match, yea, we will break our fast with an indian pale ale'. Is my blood pressure alright? Cardiovascular function? Weight? Good, I'll just keep doing what I'm doing.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Historical materialism.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Uh...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Well, I'm convinced. Instead of going to a strip club, guys should head down to the local stare club.

• Locked thread