Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Hope you fuckers stood your Dress Blues inspections well. Now it's time for the true Naval Tradition we all love.

Also we are all gay.

Navy gay.

Errthang ghey.

I love you all unconditionally :glomp:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

13 days till I ship to boot.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Pandasmores posted:

Hope you fuckers stood your Dress Blues inspections well. Now it's time for the true Naval Tradition we all love.

Also we are all gay.

Navy gay.

Errthang ghey.

I love you all unconditionally :glomp:

Least you could do is link the new thread in the old thread you inconsiderate gently caress.

LingcodKilla posted:

:a2m:

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

bengy81 posted:

Least you could do is link the new thread in the old thread you inconsiderate gently caress.

I'm on duty because some people want to hold on to the dream that this is a hospital. I'll go post it in the old one though, m'pettyoffissaaaa.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

Wingnut Ninja posted:

What the gently caress. Hold on, I need to go yell at our ITs.

There was a NAVNETCOM bulletin a while ago about it. Yell at your ITs but don't be surprised when they have no idea what you're talking about. Also since the "standard image" changed to Windows 7 and still isn't fully deployed don't be surprised when they make up some reason why it's not deployed for you.

Oh and in this particular case it's not actually NMCI's fault, I think they certified it quite a while ago.

I thought where I came from was pretty hosed up, but man the Navy is leaps and bounds ahead in that regard (being hosed up, that is).

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

LingcodKilla posted:

Oh man, it's gonna be cold as gently caress for you at boot. Hope you enjoy sideways snow and subzero temps.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Haha miss thanksgiving, x-mas, New Years, and get 2 extra weeks of folding underwear over xmas. All while freezing your balls off and slipping on ice

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

LingcodKilla posted:

You chose the worst time possible to go to Great Lakes. I'm sure you had 'no choice', but congratulations regardless.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

LingcodKilla posted:

I spent new years at bootcamp and it sucked. Enjoy getting bootcamp ebola

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Thanks guys! Yeah my later date was April so best just to loving get it done with.

So any tips on the best way to keep your head down at boot? Be in mind that I'll assume you all are lying and do the exact opposite.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.
Always be in the middle of the pack for literally everything.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

LingcodKilla posted:

Thanks guys! Yeah my later date was April so best just to loving get it done with.

So any tips on the best way to keep your head down at boot? Be in mind that I'll assume you all are lying and do the exact opposite.

Don't care about anything. It's all a dumb game. I made it the entire time without them having any clue who I was

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Laranzu posted:

Don't care about anything. It's all a dumb game. I made it the entire time without them having any clue who I was

Seconding.

I got to the end when we were waiting about 2 weeks for another division to go to the final exercise before graduation and the RDCs didnt believe I was part of their group.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

LingcodKilla posted:

It's only two months, keep that I your head at all times, it will keep you sane.

There is nothing hard about bootcamp unless you make it hard. Bootcamp is designed so that people who score a 35 on the ASVAB can get through it.

Enjoy the sleep, and if you are fat don't get the brownies at the chow hall. If you are thin eat all the brownies with all the peanut butter you can get your hands on, best part of bootcamp IMO.

germskr
Oct 23, 2007

HAHAHA! Ahh Eeeee BPOOF!

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Enjoy getting bootcamp ebola

They got rid of the old canteens so he/she should be safe. Despite deconning my canteen every holiday routine, I could never get rid of the awful smell and to this day I still remember its pungent odor.

DEPer, make sure to volunteer for shoveling duty, it's a blast!

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

LingcodKilla posted:

Realtalk: the only recruit job you should volunteer for is mail po

Also, get a cold pack as soon as possible. Do it before you get sick so you don't have to stand in the sick call line with your face leaking.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

MancXVI posted:

Also, get a cold pack as soon as possible. Do it before you get sick so you don't have to stand in the sick call line with your face leaking.

Do you mean a cold pack like a set of hankies or literally a cold ice pack?

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

LingcodKilla posted:

Do you mean a cold pack like a set of hankies or literally a cold ice pack?

Its a bag of different medicines they hand out at sick call

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

MancXVI posted:

Amazing Advice, just having the ability to take a tylonel if I needed one was amazing.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

I was shoveling snow with another recruit near some old fuckin drill hall on a relatively sunny winter day. He was shoveling the sidewalk leading to one of the side doors, and was standing right under the edge of the roof. Those buildings had curved roofs, and a lot of snow had built up over the previous week. The timing was perfect, and a huge slab of snow slid off the roof and dropped right on top of this dude, knocking him on his rear end and almost completely burying him. That ruled.

That was the harshest winter of my life (I'm from San Diego). We ran Battle Stations in early January on icy streets. This was when divisions had to actually run from one place to the next all over RTC. One recruit slipped and severely busted his ankle. Whoops! Medical hold for a month+ in the broke division.

Anyway, if you can't avoid a collateral job, Mail PO is the way to go. Laundry PO was good stuff too - you'd get to leave the building a lot. Not sure how that's changed over the years. Being one of the "dirty dozen" (head/shower cleaning crew) was also good in a way, the RDCs tended to treat them better because they had a lovely job.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

DustyNuts posted:

I was shoveling snow with another recruit near some old fuckin drill hall on a relatively sunny winter day. He was shoveling the sidewalk leading to one of the side doors, and was standing right under the edge of the roof. Those buildings had curved roofs, and a lot of snow had built up over the previous week. The timing was perfect, and a huge slab of snow slid off the roof and dropped right on top of this dude, knocking him on his rear end and almost completely burying him. That ruled.

That was the harshest winter of my life (I'm from San Diego). We ran Battle Stations in early January on icy streets. This was when divisions had to actually run from one place to the next all over RTC. One recruit slipped and severely busted his ankle. Whoops! Medical hold for a month+ in the broke division.

Anyway, if you can't avoid a collateral job, Mail PO is the way to go. Laundry PO was good stuff too - you'd get to leave the building a lot. Not sure how that's changed over the years. Being one of the "dirty dozen" (head/shower cleaning crew) was also good in a way, the RDCs tended to treat them better because they had a lovely job.

Some of my boot-rear end students the other day were talking about what ship stairs and ladders were really like because of their experience at battlestations :lol:
I mean I never went through their disney ride bullshit and I'm sure the navy made the accurate as gently caress but hearing people who will never set foot on a ship talk about what ships are really like based on a not-real-ship makes me laugh until I'm dead.

In other news, posting from beyond the graaaave

Schlabbalabba
May 10, 2004

I'm a semen, I mean Seaman, I haven't been a semen for 20 years.
Stand Navy out to sea! WORDS! WORDS-WORDS-WORDS!

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Fart Sandwiches posted:

Some of my boot-rear end students the other day were talking about what ship stairs and ladders were really like because of their experience at battlestations :lol:
I mean I never went through their disney ride bullshit and I'm sure the navy made the accurate as gently caress but hearing people who will never set foot on a ship talk about what ships are really like based on a not-real-ship makes me laugh until I'm dead.

In other news, posting from beyond the graaaave

In another lifetime ago I was cruising up the coast from San Diego to San Fransisco with a small flotilla of 60ft to 120ft boats and ships when we hit a fairly bad storm. 20ft swells knocked the crap out of the mostly planing type hulls. One of the midsized boats did a crew head count and found one crew missing so we started doing donuts in search of the missing boy. Then the same boat lost its shaft packing and we had to assist with a tow. The storm finally calmed and we were able to reach port the next afternoon. That's when the idiot crawled out of the boatswain locker where he had crawled to and buried himself in a spare line and fell asleep. I had been up doing double tricks at the helm since I was not affected by seasickness as bad as a number of the small crew because this jackass needed his beauty sleep.
That's my story.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

DustyNuts posted:

I'd say :lol: its not like it was that long ago they swapped that poo poo, and then I realized that poo poo experience was 9 years ago this month. Time fuckin' flies man.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
I'm gonna go against the grain and say Educational PO is the best job. I was EPO all the way from day one through the end of my C-School and it never let me down. I got out of a ton of bullshit because I could ace tests (you can probably ace tests too, they're incredibly easy). My only extra job anybody ever made me do is repeat things to dumb people.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and I was in the musical division that plays 'Anchor's Aweigh' at the graduation, which meant that there was half of a second division in our compartment, two weeks behind us in training. Their RDC was no-poo poo illiterate (BM1, lol). Like, could not read. So when he was supposed to read things to his division, he would come take me away from whatever our division was doing (cleaning, usually) and have me read the powerpoint slides to his division. Hahaha

Be good at tests and running. Everything else, do well enough to not gently caress up but don't bother trying to be good at anything. People who are really good at marching, cleaning and keeping things (like logs and watch-bills) organized get hosed. People who are really bad at anything get hosed.

TheQuietWilds fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Nov 2, 2014

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Laundry POs only left when they were going to pick up someones uniform from the sweat shop they sewed poo poo in. You can clean in a room by the side of the compartment. Battle stations you wont be running around any more. Expect to be snowed in and see someone break a leg marching on ice. A road guard in mine was on hold for 8 months waiting on his ankle to reform, when he slipped the RDCs still made him walk and it wasnt until the fourth night of him getting beat with the rest of the division that he cried and limped to medical for an X-ray after ABF1 P chewed him out for being a pussy. Unsurprisingly the HM1 that eventually made Chief was 100% useless most of the time.

The easiest gig in the division is likely EPO or as a corpsman for the division shuffling medical folders. That depends on if your division is smart or if theyre healthy. Laundry PO is easy too, but shuffling elbow deep into poo poo stained tighty whiteys isnt a good time. One of the guys vomited all over a washer when he smelled some of them through the mesh bags. Get to leave sometimes for the bigger loads or some of the uniforms requiring special care.

Easiest thing one kid did was go to medical and take off his guard belt whenever someone wasnt looking. He snuck an 8 point with him every time and no one ever questioned him, even snuck in a smoke once in a while. He was a loving idiot at anything else though.

Head crew got off with a lot, my friend Marius was on it and he would disappear to make some of the shitters and chrome shine. RDCs loved him because it was always spotless and he didnt give a poo poo because his life in Europe sucked.

Wash your hands as frequently as possible and enjoy your illness as you all gain herd infection and immunity from whatever people bring to share as a gift because at least one person is from a lovely little banana republic country.

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

Pandasmores posted:

Wash your hands as frequently as possible and enjoy your illness as you all gain herd infection and immunity from whatever people bring to share as a gift because at least one person is from a lovely little banana republic country.

Boot Camp Ebola is no longer a joke, it's real ebola!

Laundry PO was pretty sweet. I had 3 people under me, and I would always slip away to clean the laundry room when a beating was near for the division. Also I got to go on some nice jogs during the day to return old laundry/delivered laundry to sent back recruits.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

Null Integer posted:

Boot Camp Ebola is no longer a joke, it's real ebola!

Laundry PO was pretty sweet. I had 3 people under me, and I would always slip away to clean the laundry room when a beating was near for the division. Also I got to go on some nice jogs during the day to return old laundry/delivered laundry to sent back recruits.

Getting "beat" was legitimately the only thing worth doing in boot camp. I don't know why people complain about working out, even if they're dumb lovely workouts. Do some pushups, don't be a fat, enjoy yourself.

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

Pandasmores posted:

Also we are all gay.

Navy gay.

Errthang ghey.

I love cocks. Also I am old and have barely any recollection of bootcamp. I kept my mouth shut and minded my business. I did almost clock our ARPOC for watching us shower too closely but I restrained myself.

My RDCs got in a fistfight in the office and I was on legal hold for most of boot. I recommend that. We had a revolving door of volunteer RDCs and it was easy as hell.

Schlabbalabba
May 10, 2004

I was ships staff for a while but then they needed a religious services po and I was the only one who offered. The benefit I ended up having was that friday nights were spent at the chapel and i conveniently missed the friday night IT marathons. Inversely from skating, just don't be the catholic one, they work them to the bone.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

TheQuietWilds posted:

Getting "beat" was legitimately the only thing worth doing in boot camp. I don't know why people complain about working out, even if they're dumb lovely workouts. Do some pushups, don't be a fat, enjoy yourself.

Hahaha some of us ended up doing prison style workouts. We ended up getting chewed out about halfway through because the RDCs caught us with makeshift weights. Afterwards rhey wouldnt beat us as much and just punished us by making us stand at attention repeating stupid things they came up with like "Im a pussy punk bitch". Our brother division had the same thing happen, except with them their RDCs got tired of beating them and had other RDCs come in to beat them. They caught wind of our new form of punishment and implemented it, surprisingly it was very effective when we all realized we werent going to be as ripped as we imagined.

I also had my first ever "Reasons you dumbasses shouldnt be lifting the god drat racks" safety talk, preparing me for the many retarded Navy safety talks.

Couple of kids were caught loving on or around the barracks. One was by an officer in a stairwell. Another division was caught with a couple dudes sneaking into girl compartments in the middle of the night.

In real Navy news I imagine Im doing a PSA for the forums and any dudes that's friends with Navy goons by saying that if they're stationed at NAS Lemoore, and need to go to the emergency room, they should call 911 or if it isnt that serious for an ambulance ride to go to the ER in Hanford. They can also call the hospital at any time to receive the nurse advice line phone number. People seem to not realize that we no longer have an ER and leave pissed off because "I re-enlisted for this poo poo wtf!".

Schlabbalabba
May 10, 2004

TheQuietWilds posted:

For a year in DEP, I really pushed myself into great shape. I ran, played lots of sports, rode my bike around, etc. just to try and get in some sort of shape for boot camp. I thought it was going to be so hard that I wasn't sure I was going to make it. Then I get there. Okay, we're going to run two miles today and thats it. By the way, there is soda and powerade on tap, and you are going to get eight hours of sleep almost every night. WARRIORS!

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Schlabbalabba posted:

For a year in DEP, I really pushed myself into great shape. I ran, played lots of sports, rode my bike around, etc. just to try and get in some sort of shape for boot camp. I thought it was going to be so hard that I wasn't sure I was going to make it. Then I get there. Okay, we're going to run two miles today and thats it. By the way, there is soda and powerade on tap, and you are going to get eight hours of sleep almost every night. WARRIORS!

For a year in DEP I did pretty much nothing outside of the norm, didn't go out and run a lot/do sports etc. I got to boot camp, and it still wasn't hard. It's all a mind game, get through that and you have it on lock.

Schlabbalabba
May 10, 2004

orange juche posted:

For a year in DEP I did pretty much nothing outside of the norm, didn't go out and run a lot/do sports etc. I got to boot camp, and it still wasn't hard. It's all a mind game, get through that and you have it on lock.

Took me a long time to figure out:

Show up: P
Do job: P
Do a really good job: P-MP
Suck a lot of penis: EP

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.
I was not in shape before going to boot camp. I wasn't in shape when I left boot camp.

I would go so far as to state that the best shape I was in was after I got out and had time to go running and biking every day.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Moving on now from boot camp stories

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

Schlabbalabba posted:

Took me a long time to figure out:

Show up: P
Do job: MP
Do a really good job: P, everybody hates you
Suck a lot of penis: EP

There you go.

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

There's something inside your head..

LingcodKilla posted:

There will come a time for "Moment of Truth".

Keep your loving mouth shut.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Gray Matter posted:

QFT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

Gray Matter posted:

*trepidatiously raises hand because he smoked a joint at the hotel near MEPS with a bunch of other DEPers*

• Locked thread