Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Black Balloon posted:

I fuckin love money.

get paid

:synpa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

justice4trayvawn posted:

career officer pilot can't fathom why others may hate job, beep boop, etc ;)

I'm a SWO who may have had the worst Captain to ever Captain a captainship. I wrote more SITREPS for suicidal behavior in 3 months than I've seen the rest of my career... Mr. Nice! may be able to help me here, but the Captain who had command of LAKE ERIE will never come close to the Captain who had command of PORT ROYAL following the grounding. I work at Fleet Forces now, and even here, 3,000+ miles away, ol' JT is known for being completely unemployable and impossible to work with here or in DC, much less work for. Captain Graf only exceeds JT because she was caught.

Whatever Panda is dealing with, it's not so unbelievably bad that he should tank his free money exams. He's being immature.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Boon posted:

I'm a SWO who may have had the worst Captain to ever Captain a captainship. I wrote more SITREPS for suicidal behavior in 3 months than I've seen the rest of my career... Mr. Nice! may be able to help me here, but the Captain who had command of LAKE ERIE will never come close to the Captain who had command of PORT ROYAL following the grounding. I work at Fleet Forces now, and even here, 3,000+ miles away, ol' JT is known for being completely unemployable and impossible to work with here or in DC, much less work for. Captain Graf only exceeds JT because she was caught.

Whatever Panda is dealing with, it's not so unbelievably bad that he should tank his free money exams. He's being immature.

I'd challenge you and compare notes but I don't feel like dredging things out of the memory banks.
Suffice to say, it seems like being an incompetent douchenozzle is a requirement for command at sea.

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

Stultus Maximus posted:

Suffice to say, it seems like being an incompetent douchenozzle is a requirement for command at sea.

I'd say this depends: my first CO was a complete rear end-kissing careerist who'd throw everybody under the bus and volunteer us for grueling assignment after grueling assignment because he wanted stars and major command (and he just got major command). Second CO literally only ever wanted destroyer command and then was going to do his last shore tour and retire - he was 10x better and more relaxed, he enjoyed his command tour and is now happily retired having done what he wanted to do in the Navy.

But yea, I'd say that vast majority of COs with command at sea aspire to keep climbing to the top of the cock.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

My first Skipper on a DD was an older black guy, grew a big grey beard on deployment and drank bottles of red wine in his at-sea cabin. He was fair, friendly and funny. Everyone loved him. He died from a heart attack four months after deployment, on New Year's Day in his bathtub. I've been lucky with CO's in my career, all of them have been really great - from SWO to EOD to Aviation.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Boon posted:

Hoooo boy, that is a bold statement.

I feel like this thread is going to start to devolve into the scar scene from Jaws.

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004
My CO can beat up your CO.:smug:

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004
I still don't understand why they made GBS like FYAD/BYOB - what a stupid loving idea. Now I can't tell the three of them apart, it's basically just a bunch of ransom, stupid inside jokes and dick-waving.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.
My favorite CO had a framed picture of Guile from Street Fighter on his wall. They looked very similar.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

buttplug posted:

I still don't understand why they made GBS like FYAD/BYOB - what a stupid loving idea. Now I can't tell the three of them apart, it's basically just a bunch of ransom, stupid inside jokes and dick-waving.

GBS was getting really terrible. Now it's a lot like it used to be in the old days, and that's good. BYOB came around as a foil to FYAD, and has always sucked. FYAD is as old as GBS and is in constant flux - with humor that is hit or miss, and always circle-jerky and stupid. I'm OK with the way the forums are right now.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

DustyNuts posted:

I'm OK with the way the forums are right now.

Except BYOB needs forum cancer.

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

DustyNuts posted:

GBS was getting really terrible. Now it's a lot like it used to be in the old days, and that's good. BYOB came around as a foil to FYAD, and has always sucked. FYAD is as old as GBS and is in constant flux - with humor that is hit or miss, and always circle-jerky and stupid. I'm OK with the way the forums are right now.

What do you define as "the old days"? I've been lurking SA since '99... I don't ever recall GBS being this bad. Mind you, there was a period of time where I wasn't on these forums consistently (maybe 8-10 months) and I know GBS had a lot of contentless posts, but making it a giant one-note joke seems a bit extreme. I fail to see how making it BYOB lite where BYOB is FYAD-lite is an improvement. Just my opinion...

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Abolish probating. Bring back bans for low content/effort posts. :10bux: for Lowtax.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
Well for the first time in the 14 or 15 years (Holy gently caress...) I've been poking around SA these last few months have I've actually sort of enjoyed GBS. I mean it's no where near as funny as old FYAD, but it's amusing now at least as opposed to being nothing buy current events threads populated by SJW types.

BYOB has always been, and will always be, terrible. I think it exists solely as a self selecting ghetto, where unfunny mother fuckers go on their own thinking they're clever but really it just keeps them away from everyone else.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Every subforum was created as a ghetto to get things out of GBS, one day there just wasn't anything left.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

buttplug posted:

What do you define as "the old days"? I've been lurking SA since '99... I don't ever recall GBS being this bad. Mind you, there was a period of time where I wasn't on these forums consistently (maybe 8-10 months) and I know GBS had a lot of contentless posts, but making it a giant one-note joke seems a bit extreme. I fail to see how making it BYOB lite where BYOB is FYAD-lite is an improvement. Just my opinion...

I haven't been lurking as long as you but I definitely am familiar with the reason things like goonrushes are banned: 1% of posters are genuinely funny and 99% just repeat the joke in hopes that they will be funny too.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
GBS needs forums cancer.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

buttplug posted:

It's funnier than the news stream it became, and it's funnier than this poo poo.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
I like the new GBS, the previous version of GBS was basically just reddit comments.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

EEOD? Why not, I could use a break from work

:911:
So I turned in my eval earlier this week.

February-June of this year I was TDY after being selected for advanced training that only one other sailor in my command of 1200 currently has.

Then fly back to home division for 43 days.

July-now I'm on what is arguably one of the highest-speed assignments available to my rating without going to Dam Neck. I'm not saying this to brag, I'm highlighting how this is something my command should be excited one of their sailors is involved with.

Got an email back today, wherein my chain asked me to submit an eval only covering the days I was back in my division since my last eval 16MAR, which is a total of 43 days in which we were surging, and I held no positions or did anything but work for 12 hours, go home and repeat.

My eval this cycle included writing a 186 page book for the DoD, my training earlier in the year and this assignment. But instead, the Navy only wants to know what I did while I "rested" for a few weeks between my TDYs. This might be a stupid question, but is that right? I don't understand why I wouldn't be evaluated for my accomplishments on, or even being selected for, the TDYs I was sent on. Someone just completing their JQS is going to have a stronger eval than me as mine will be virtually empty. I wasn't even on a team when I was back because they had me preparing to leave again doing OJT and workups. I'm not saying I deserve or need an EP or an MP, but I'm coming up on my window for orders or getting the gently caress out. I'd been leaning on getting out, but I'm still going to drop applications to a few programs that will want my last few evals in case one picks me up and I decide to stay, and I don't want to show them a bad or dead looking eval.

I don't remember ever being hassled about my TDY dates before, though I've never been gone this long before either (practically the entire year.) So more experienced sailors: is this something I should challenge? When I got the message earlier I was a mix of pissed off and confused, though given my experience in this division so far I can't say I'm entirely surprised.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
lol just get out dude

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

incoming weiner

do a barrel roll

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Analogical posted:

February-June of this year I was TDY after being selected for advanced training that only one other sailor in my command of 1200 currently has.

July-now I'm on what is arguably one of the highest-speed assignments available to my rating without going to Dam Neck. I'm not saying this to brag, I'm highlighting how this is something my command should be excited one of their sailors is involved with.

Got an email back today, wherein my chain asked me to submit an eval only covering the days I was back in my division since my last eval 16MAR, which is a total of 43 days in which we were surging, and I held no positions or did anything but work for 12 hours, go home and repeat.

My eval this cycle included writing a 186 page book for the DoD, my training earlier in the year and this assignment. But instead, the Navy only wants to know what I did while I "rested" for a few weeks between my TDYs. This might be a stupid question, but is that right? I don't understand why I wouldn't be evaluated for my accomplishments on, or even being selected for, the TDYs I was sent on. Someone just completing their JQS is going to have a stronger eval than me as mine will be virtually empty. I wasn't even on a team when I was back because they had me preparing to leave again doing OJT and workups. I'm not saying I deserve or need an EP or an MP, but I'm coming up on my window for orders or getting the gently caress out. I'd been leaning on getting out, but I'm still going to drop applications to a few programs that will want my last few evals in case one picks me up and I decide to stay, and I don't want to show them a bad or dead looking eval.

I don't remember ever being hassled about my TDY dates before, though I've never been gone this long before either (practically the entire year.) So more experienced sailors: is this something I should challenge? When I got the message earlier I was a mix of pissed off and confused, though given my experience in this division so far I can't say I'm entirely surprised.

I need to go look at the relevant instructions but yeah they are right in that their eval on you doesn't include duties you performed while TAD/TDY. If you're lucky you can get the CO at your TDY location to write an eval on you but it doesn't add a whole lot of weight. It would be worth your time to read the EVALMAN on how TDY is handled because you may have been away long enough that you should be in your own ranking group. Dustynuts might be able to add some useful info as well; he is pretty much a god when it comes to this stuff.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Analogical posted:

If they don't do what Vulturesrow said then I guess you could just add a picture of your favorite lube along with the meal you would have preferred to have before you got hosed.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

:heysexy:

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."
so...show of hands, who's had a CO DFC'd?

(has as in "was there for," not necessarily "was responsible for.")

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
Wow dude, that's absolute bullshit. I was TDY for 2 weeks and I was told to move that bullet point up higher because they thought it looked good. What the gently caress about someone in DIRSUP whose entire job is not being home? I guess maybe it's for if you're at a training command for six months, but for your case that's complete crap.

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

vulturesrow posted:

I need to go look at the relevant instructions but yeah they are right in that their eval on you doesn't include duties you performed while TAD/TDY. If you're lucky you can get the CO at your TDY location to write an eval on you but it doesn't add a whole lot of weight. It would be worth your time to read the EVALMAN on how TDY is handled because you may have been away long enough that you should be in your own ranking group. Dustynuts might be able to add some useful info as well; he is pretty much a god when it comes to this stuff.

Yeah, the reporting senior for your TDY time should submit a concurrent report, per the EVALMAN, if the performance or events during your TDY time if "the performance was significant and cannot be adequately evaluated by the regular reporting senior." Specifically, it also states that a concurrent report should be submitted for any period exceeding 3 months away from your permanent duty command.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

There was a small time period where GBS was just a lovely RSS news feed and SJW comments and lots of bans/probations and was everything wrong with the forums. Lot better now imo

Yeah a lot of it now is repetitive and a bit over the top but there's so many sub forums to fill every niche i just poke around there to have a laugh

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

I like to look at all the probates and bans and read into the series of events that caused them. It's kind of like buying those stupid mugshot papers at the 7/11 checkout.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
Or reading the plan of the week to see who went to mast.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

Sir Lucius posted:

Or reading the plan of the week to see who went to mast.

the only useful information in there

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Are public NJP's still a thing? Like on TV etc. I know people got busted down a lot underway for port incidences and loving on ship

My first command they'd just run around and round up any e-4 and below anytime someone was getting busted down for a DUI but that was it

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

The other fun part is seeing how things got blown up through word of mouth. By the end of my little trip towards getting NJP'd I had apparently banged a Chief's daughter while completely hammered and came into work like a rockstar.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

My command has a public masting for a girl who's friend left their bar-hopping group and had sex with someone while way too drunk and decided a week later this was a poor decision and later admitted this but never got called on it by a SAPR, the command or anyone else and made jokes about how bad her friend got hosed was raped, because she didn't watch her friend like a hawk.

On a more serious note. Anyone have any info going Navy->Army, specifically warrant? They're always low on SIGINT Warrant packets, and I was thinking about dropping one but I haven't met anyone else that's done that kind of transition. Frankly I work with SIGINT warrants as it is, so the job is 100% the same except that I'm a warrant and dealing with a different flavor of bullshit than I'm used to while getting paid marginally more.

Chief in 6 years awwwrite.

Analogical fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Nov 25, 2014

Black Balloon
Dec 28, 2008

The literal grumpiest

Analogical posted:

My command has a public masting for a girl who's friend left their bar-hopping group and had sex with someone while way too drunk and decided a week later this was a poor decision and later admitted this but never got called on it by a SAPR, the command or anyone else and made jokes about how bad her friend got hosed was raped, because she didn't watch her friend like a hawk.

I love our community.

germskr
Oct 23, 2007

HAHAHA! Ahh Eeeee BPOOF!
Anybody proficient with the programs on USMAP that would be willing to answer a couple of questions offline? I have PM but if you don't just leave your email and I'll get in contact with you, thanks.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Got a call earlier tonight from a guy who worked for me at my last active command. Instead of being a selfish bastard who was just about to serve dinner (slow cooker beef stew) to my significant other, I answered.

He has less than a year left on his first term contract, just picked up First, and was getting those thoughts about reenlisting instead of getting out as planned and going back to college. Walked him through the idea that "you are doing what everyone normal person who is good at their job and doesn't totally hate the Navy does" and got him to think if 3 more years of steady pay would get him to his actual final goal. Almost certain, I was able to correct his course back to free money, wo/men, and university.

Prologue: Ate delicious dinner, have three leftover servings, drank wine, played Smash Bros, had adult fun time afterward.

Mission accomplished on all accounts. Drinking continues, going to switch to Far Cry 4 and cause mass extinction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shipwrecks
Dec 31, 2008

Guess I'm in about the same spot then.

3 years in with less than a year left on my first term, and just picked up second. Picked 3 years of shore duty out of A-school and am in my window to pick orders to go sea duty for the first time. I didn't pick orders this month because I wasn't sure if I'd make second or not. Six months ago I was dead set on getting out and going back to school, so far as to try an get an early out for it. Now I've been wringing my hands about staying in for another two years, mostly because of the ~steady paycheck~ and "well, the Navy's not too bad, I guess." But I know I'm only saying this because I've been cushy shore desk job for the past 2 years and that it will change once I go to a squadron.

Still on the fence about it though. I've been trying to reason to myself that if I don't get "good" orders that I'm happy with I'm getting out. I just get this nagging feeling I don't want to be the rear end in a top hat who is like "hell yeah, I was in the Navy for a term but sat in the middle of California's rear end in a top hat the whole time."

Goons, talk some sense into me. Please.

• Locked thread