Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I hadn't touch the stuff in 16 years. Whew!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
What actually happens? There were some dudes dumb enough to raise their hands but I don't remember anything about them. Is it true they forgive you or do you get kicked the gently caress out?

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

There's something inside your head..

Fart Sandwiches posted:

What actually happens? There were some dudes dumb enough to raise their hands but I don't remember anything about them. Is it true they forgive you or do you get kicked the gently caress out?
Well I was one of those dumb dudes.. copped to having been prescribed some antidepressants some ~12 years prior, among other poo poo, and as a result was not allowed to shoot for the pistol qual and had to see the shrink every 2 weeks in boot. Unfortunately was not kicked the gently caress out and am still living life an indentured servant.

Schlabbalabba
May 10, 2004

I'm a semen, I mean Seaman, I haven't been a semen for 20 years.

Gray Matter posted:

There will come a time for "Moment of Truth".

Keep your loving mouth shut.

They tried to tell us that their testing was so sensitive it could detect back twenty years. LOL

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Gray Matter posted:

Well I was one of those dumb dudes.. copped to having been prescribed some antidepressants some ~12 years prior, among other poo poo, and as a result was not allowed to shoot for the pistol qual and had to see the shrink every 2 weeks in boot. Unfortunately was not kicked the gently caress out and am still living life an indentured servant.

Ahahahahahhahaha

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
I really thought it was cool how I was asked no less than 15 times if I smoked pot in boot camp, and every time I said no they tried to give me poo poo about it "its ok man you can come clean!".

i've never done any drugs in my life

Seqenenra
Oct 11, 2005
Secret

ded posted:

I really thought it was cool how I was asked no less than 15 times if I smoked pot in boot camp, and every time I said no they tried to give me poo poo about it "its ok man you can come clean!".

Does having drug use in your history even disqualify you for anything anymore? It used to get you removed from PRP if it was anything other than "experimenting" with marijuana a couple of times.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

ded posted:

When I started ROTC this ancient Marine colonel was the one asking and he just kept acting angrier and angrier each time he asked and I denied it. He also started out asking how many times rather than if, I wonder if anyone was dumb enough to get caught by that obvious trick.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

One of my friends went up for Sonar tech, they had a waiver for his pot but nothing for the copious amounts of lsd he enjoyed. When he admitted to taking numerous hits at various strengths every couple of weeks they just let him go because he was "insane".

Anyway:
http://www.navytimes.com/article/20141102/NEWS/311020026/Report-Squadron-CMC-kissed-hit-his-sailors

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

He looks like a bad-touch uncle. :stare:

edit: also, apparently if you sexually assault or harass dozens of women it is considered worthy of an informal counseling session and, finally, a stern two counts of article 92. As long as you're a CMC. gently caress the Navy

quote:

In his endorsement of the investigation’s finding, he wrote that the victims’ willingness to come forward was a testament to the command’s willingness to investigate SAPR issues.

:commissar:

Maybe this command should have done something the first incident? Maybe somebody should have physically restrained this fuckwit the first time he tries to use the line, "haha you're my property," or reached in for a bit of kissy kiss? What the loving gently caress?

A Bad King fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Nov 3, 2014

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Stultus Maximus posted:

When I started ROTC this ancient Marine colonel was the one asking and he just kept acting angrier and angrier each time he asked and I denied it. He also started out asking how many times rather than if, I wonder if anyone was dumb enough to get caught by that obvious trick.

Oh ya they would try that too. I remember one guy who looked over my paperwork (I think it was an HM psych dude) which said I had not done drugs in it and just straight up asked how many times not "if I had", during one of the weird evals they did for sub dudes. The dude tried over and over to bait me into poo poo with that and other things like crimes ect.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

I'd aim to be a noble if it meant I could be a :commissar: just cause the hat's cool.

Y'all done the reefer don't try and lie :clint:

We should get a version of :chiefsay: that's :clint: for cool chiefs that enter our lives, the unicorns of the fleet.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
What is the retention rate in the SWO community right now?

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

What do I need to know about living on a ship? I am going on an LPD for a bit. I am told I'll have a 4 man state room and can hang out in the Chief's Mess but I don't know poo poo about boats since I've never been on one before.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

The key to living on a ship is get used to the smell, hide your poop in the angle irons, and never wash your clothes. Definitely eat chips and candy in your rack too.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Hekk posted:

What do I need to know about living on a ship? I am going on an LPD for a bit. I am told I'll have a 4 man state room and can hang out in the Chief's Mess but I don't know poo poo about boats since I've never been on one before.

Depends on your rank, if you're a senior NCO then you will get treated probably the same as the the Chiefs on the ship.

If it's a gator freighter, they have flat bottoms, so they don't do rough seas very well, hope you don't get seasick. I've not been on an amphib in the middle of the Atlantic/pacific, but if the waves can bounce a carrier, I'd hate to know what they do to ships smaller than them, esp with a a flat bottomed hull.

Tip for survival, have a private TP stash, and don't share it. Even is it is terrible ship TP, it is infinitely better than none.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

orange juche posted:

Depends on your rank, if you're a senior NCO then you will get treated probably the same as the the Chiefs on the ship.

If it's a gator freighter, they have flat bottoms, so they don't do rough seas very well, hope you don't get seasick. I've not been on an amphib in the middle of the Atlantic/pacific, but if the waves can bounce a carrier, I'd hate to know what they do to ships smaller than them, esp with a a flat bottomed hull.

Tip for survival, have a private TP stash, and don't share it. Even is it is terrible ship TP, it is infinitely better than none.

Serious question, does seasickness go aware with exposure? I get airsick as gently caress on helicopters for some reason and it's a pain in the rear end what with how much we move around via helo. I can fly in jets and prop planes all loving day but helos aren't natural. This has me a little concerned about being on ship. It's not like I can ask the waves to stop or whatever so I imagine it'd be pretty miserable if you get seasick and it doesn't go away.

Also, I am a senior NCO but I don't know poo poo about how the navy treats it's chiefs. The only squids I have hung around have been corpsman and I wouldn't think they are an accurate representation of regular navy.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

Hekk posted:

Serious question, does seasickness go aware with exposure? I get airsick as gently caress on helicopters for some reason and it's a pain in the rear end what with how much we move around via helo. I can fly in jets and prop planes all loving day but helos aren't natural. This has me a little concerned about being on ship. It's not like I can ask the waves to stop or whatever so I imagine it'd be pretty miserable if you get seasick and it doesn't go away.

Also, I am a senior NCO but I don't know poo poo about how the navy treats it's chiefs. The only squids I have hung around have been corpsman and I wouldn't think they are an accurate representation of regular navy.

Seasickness does go away with exposure time. If you're typically getting sick on Day 1 at sea, by Day 2 or 3 you will likely be okay until the next two steps up in sea state.

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

Hekk posted:

For most everyone, seasickness goes away with a few days' exposure. You'll probably have it bad on the ship, so prepare for it. The best course of action is generally hitting the rack and sleeping as much as you can get away with until you get over it.

As for treatment--you'll have it relatively good on the ship compared to the junior enlisted Sailors. 4 man staterooms are pretty decent, and you'll have your own chow/lounge area, the Chief's Mess.

Biggest thing I'd recommend is to bring your own entertainment, because anything other than drudgery is hard to come by onboard. A kindle, laptop loaded with movies, whatever--just make sure it's relatively small and portable. Space is going to be a bit less limited since you'll be in a stateroom, but only bring the bare essentials you'll need, because it's still pretty limited.

For the love of god, don't forget your shower shoes.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

Octopode posted:

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Angry Fish posted:

About five. Five total Lieutenants.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Octopode posted:

For most everyone, seasickness goes away with a few days' exposure. You'll probably have it bad on the ship, so prepare for it. The best course of action is generally hitting the rack and sleeping as much as you can get away with until you get over it.

As for treatment--you'll have it relatively good on the ship compared to the junior enlisted Sailors. 4 man staterooms are pretty decent, and you'll have your own chow/lounge area, the Chief's Mess.

Biggest thing I'd recommend is to bring your own entertainment, because anything other than drudgery is hard to come by onboard. A kindle, laptop loaded with movies, whatever--just make sure it's relatively small and portable. Space is going to be a bit less limited since you'll be in a stateroom, but only bring the bare essentials you'll need, because it's still pretty limited.

Thanks for the advice. I've got the macbook and an external hard drive full of movies, an ereader, and a 3DS to mess around with. So I am hoping that'll help cure boredom.

Next question: Over the years I've seen the shellback certificates and hear there is a hazing ritual/ceremony for those who have never crossed the equator. Is this something worth going through? I have heard stories from dudes that have been on ship before about crawling around in food slop and grease and having to eat something out of some fat chief's bellybutton or whatever. Just trying to figure out if this is a thing that people actually do or if it's just a way to gently caress with the new guys.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

Hekk posted:

Next question: Over the years I've seen the shellback certificates and hear there is a hazing ritual/ceremony for those who have never crossed the equator. Is this something worth going through? I have heard stories from dudes that have been on ship before about crawling around in food slop and grease and having to eat something out of some fat chief's bellybutton or whatever. Just trying to figure out if this is a thing that people actually do or if it's just a way to gently caress with the new guys.

The "hazing" ceremony for becoming a shellback has been so diluted by Big Navy fears of any one getting their feels hurt that failing to do it would mean missing out on an early morning wake up and possibly getting sprayed with cold sea water.

It's about as harmless as a child hitting your arm after seeing a VW Beetle before you could react.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Hekk posted:

If it starts getting bad, go outside and look around. It should make your inner ear and visual systems agree with each other and be happy again for a bit. I generally got a little queasy the first night, but as soon as I passed out and woke up it was fine.

Edit: Shellback on an LHD in 2008 was still pretty good. Shellback on a Carrier in 2010 was loving stupid and lame.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Hekk posted:

Thanks for the advice. I've got the macbook and an external hard drive full of movies, an ereader, and a 3DS to mess around with. So I am hoping that'll help cure boredom.

It's pretty entertaining depending on how long you've been at sea doing the same poo poo on and off. Its completely harmless bullshit but it can be fun to see how people react to it, you stupid slimy wog. My favorite leisure activities while at sea were sleeping, working out and watching movies in my rack.

Id ask around about the construction of your rack. If you have the inclination and some zipties you can jerry-rig up a pretty comfortable entertainment experience in there, and since you're senior enough no one should complain as far as I understand.

Edit: All my time was on a submarine so I don't know what skimmer life is like

Kawasaki Nun fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Nov 3, 2014

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.

Hekk posted:

11 years in and never crossed the equator

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Angry Fish posted:

If you're talking about first pass retention for LT's at their MSR it's somewhere between 20% and 30%.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
If you're worried about motion sickness, before you ship off go to the MTF and ask for 90 days worth of extended release trans-dermal scopolamine patches. If you have frequent, recurring motion sickness they work really well. If someone at the hospital won't give them to you, some IDC will probably write you a script. Using the patches doesn't prevent your body from adapting to the motion (getting sea-legs), so just use them until you don't need them anymore.

EDIT: 90 days is hillarious overkill, but it's free, and that's the most they'll give at once. They might give you 30 days, and that's probably just as good.

TheQuietWilds fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Nov 3, 2014

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Hekk, how close are you with your Corpsman? Like, is there one assigned to you directly etc? They should be handing out copious amounts of meclizine and have it on hand. Or you head to your BAS on ship and fill out a quick form and get some. Just make sure you take it preemptively. Even on an LHD a lot of people got sick once we initially started steaming but everyone was fine after a couple days. But that's a big ship.

On ship they should have a cold pack type of form where you can just get basic meds (tylenol, Motrin, meclizine, anti fungal cream, steroid cream, anti-acid/diarrheal, etc) without going through the whole sick call process.

As far as jerry rigging poo poo with double sided tape and cardboard cutout strips I had a mount for my tablet on the roof of my rack. It ruled.

Depending on how nerdy you are you can get one of those gaems g155 cases for a console. they were made for the Xbox 360 and PS3 but fit the ps4 and xbone. Those things were a lifesaver especially if you're just a passenger more or less. There was a 1:3 ratio practically of people having them. We'd link them up and have LAN parties and when our berthing was empty for 10 days had one set up with a projector and COD 24/7

Also, baby wipes. Because like all MEUs you'll be getting off the ship a lot for training. So make sure you pack your normal non-required field necessities.

Also although they're not allowed I'd recommend a tiny tiny usb fan or something of the sort. You should be fine in those rooms but poo poo breaks and poo poo gets hot. Also a sleeping eye mask and nice ear plugs of course.

And supplements. Lots and lots of supplements to last you. Vitamins, protein powder, etc. The shipping time from Amazon was pretty decent but yeah. I think you're East Coast so you might not be too close to the actual ship but you can drive down to the ship before deployment with all your junk. If not start loading stuff on during the at sea periods which you'll do at least 2-3 of

Yeah you'll be able to chill with all the Chiefs and such in their mess. But you'll be hanging out with other Marines. Most sailors will see all that black on your collar and look the other way. You're going to laugh at all the e-5s sweeping while the Marines have the e-2/e-3s doing everything

Let me know if you have any other MEU questions

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Nov 4, 2014

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
If you are in any way associated with Navy medicine I hope everything you love turns to ashes in your mouth and you die in a fire.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Nope

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

ManMythLegend posted:

If you are in any way associated with Navy medicine I hope everything you love turns to ashes in your mouth and you die in a fire.

Too late, I got away

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

Christoff posted:

Just make sure you take it preemptively.

Christoff posted:

Christoff posted:

Christoff posted:

Christoff posted:

I don't get seasick, but I've had plenty of friends that do. Most of the ones that got over it really quickly were the ones that followed doc's instructions and started taking whatever it was they were given about a day or two before getting underway.

Once you are seasick there are some ways to deal with it: Don't drink coffee and don't smoke cigarettes being a big part of that. Some people find having a solid reference point (the horizon) helps. Some like ginger root or ginger candies. It all comes down to you.

As a general tip for being underway I suggest figuring out whatever the ship's store (if it has one) carries in advance. Anything that sounds like it can be used as currency, stock up on some at Costco and give sell it to your guys/the squids. You can start out selling it lower than the ship's store, and then crank the price when the ship's store runs out.

Works great for cigarettes, dip, energy drinks, and poo poo like pop-tarts and other garbage that people think they can live without. Or they underestimate how much they should bring.

Being underway as the luggage owns bones if you don't get seasick or you acclimate. Having a corpsman insert the silver bullet does not, from what I hear.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I never understood the smokers/dippers that didn't stock up for deployment. Or at least restock when we were in a foreign or domestic port.

The line throughout the ship for the store was always hilarious when word got out that they had dip back in stock

We were spoiled and had pop-tarts to grab during breakfast. Amongst the obvious commodities protein powder is another good one

Also wash your hands and hand sanitizer. VGE spreads like wildfire and we had about 3 pretty bad cases of it

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Nov 4, 2014

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004
There's nothing wrong with having mild, limited past drug usage and admitting to it on your SF86. In fact, if you ever hope to have a job that requires a full-scope poly, expect to be asked those kinds of questions in detail. Lying to your dipshit recruiter is one thing, lying during a polygraph will disqualify you from lots of stuff really quickly. And take note that if you fail a polygraph (CI or full-scope) and never re-take it in order to obtain a "pass", while it doesn't invalidate a TS directly, it *will* follow you to your next clearance adjudication...

Also, note that I'm talking about mild, "experimental" drug usage (smoked weed a couple times, tried shooms in college - things of that nature). If you've done every designer drug known to man as recently as say, 6 months before you join...that might be an issue.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Octopode posted:

A bathrobe too. Preferably a cheap one that can be thrown away when you're done.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q
If you DO forget your sperm-skis absolutely do not shower barefoot. That is loving disgusting and you WILL get some kind of god-awful funk that's been accumulating just waiting for some dipshit to go in with naked feet. It doesn't matter if you stripped the bottom of the shower with acid. It survives.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Ship store usually sells them anyways but yeah the thought of going anywhere in the berthing, bathroom, or shower barefoot is repulsive. There's always one Barefoot Bandit though that takes a piss late at night barefoot. Ugh

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

I appreciate all of the replies. I am on the west coast but getting ready to PCS so I am nowhere near where the ships are right now.

Is it cool to murder Thai lady boys if we are too drunk to catch it until we grab their junk? I've heard that's kind of a right of passage for new guys during asian port calls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Hekk posted:

Is it cool to murder Thai lady boys if we are too drunk to catch it until we grab their junk? I've heard that's kind of a right of passage for new guys during asian port calls.

It's like an initiation rite for first time westpac cruises tbh.

• Locked thread