Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

I was shoveling snow with another recruit near some old fuckin drill hall on a relatively sunny winter day. He was shoveling the sidewalk leading to one of the side doors, and was standing right under the edge of the roof. Those buildings had curved roofs, and a lot of snow had built up over the previous week. The timing was perfect, and a huge slab of snow slid off the roof and dropped right on top of this dude, knocking him on his rear end and almost completely burying him. That ruled.

That was the harshest winter of my life (I'm from San Diego). We ran Battle Stations in early January on icy streets. This was when divisions had to actually run from one place to the next all over RTC. One recruit slipped and severely busted his ankle. Whoops! Medical hold for a month+ in the broke division.

Anyway, if you can't avoid a collateral job, Mail PO is the way to go. Laundry PO was good stuff too - you'd get to leave the building a lot. Not sure how that's changed over the years. Being one of the "dirty dozen" (head/shower cleaning crew) was also good in a way, the RDCs tended to treat them better because they had a lovely job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

Gray Matter posted:

There will come a time for "Moment of Truth".

Keep your loving mouth shut.

*trepidatiously raises hand because he smoked a joint at the hotel near MEPS with a bunch of other DEPers*

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

NSIPS is down. ETR Wednesday afternoon.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

LingcodKilla posted:

Just landed in Chicago! Oh boy boot!

Are you sitting quietly in the USO yet. Put your lighters and smokes into the bin.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

Adding confirmation that we were explicitly told not to be a buddy fucker in the year 2000. This has been happening for a long time. I'm a CFL, it obviously happens in any large group doing a PRT. And it happens everywhere. It's a Navy tradition!?

Oh and in 2000 you wouldn't leave boot camp at 18-19 years old unless you ran the 1.5 in 11:00. I made it at 10:57. Fastest I've ever run.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

I've done this swim for the last 5 years. Easy excellents and my time has improved every PRT. I'm a tall fucker with big feet though, so it works out well. The EOD guys I used to test with would all wear matching USA flag banana hammocks with matching swim caps.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

Our tape test is bullshit, but it's a universal standard and you can teach any retard how to do it. We taped a woman that had failed the previous PFA, and had GAINED 10 pounds, but passed because her neck got fatter and her waist got a bit skinnier. I will say that the tape is especially unfair for black women, they just have bigger hips. It needs to be updated.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

Averse. Sir.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

Change of command tomorrow. I bought $120 in large medals so I can dong the bell a few times for the official party before I post to a chair for 30 minutes. At least I get the rest of the day off.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

Haha what the gently caress all of this e-mail stuff is crazy.

First name basis with peers.

V/R,
(RATE OR RANK)
with everyone else in the command, because they know it's you because your name is in the FROM line.

V/R,
(RATE OR RANK, NAME)
(COMMAND)
(PHONE)
for anyone outside of your command. Any deviations from the above makes you a weirdo. Lemme R/ you so you know you're an inferior lol

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

Navy screwed up another advancement results release. Congratulations to those that made it!

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

The list will probably be published tomorrow, but possibly as late as Tuesday, which is when it was supposed to be released.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

I've seen so many dudes gently caress away their exams because of *reasons* over the years. It's mind-boggling. By not trying you just reinforce the idea that you're a shitbag that doesn't care, which results in MORE negative attention on you. Just try, see what happens, maybe you advance. Wow maybe you'd make thousands of extra dollars before your EAOS, what a shame. Not knocking Panda too hard because Lemoore sucks, but at least you'd have a chance of more cash in your bank account if you tried. Wow, you'd have to go to some meetings - that's tough bro. Are you planning to avoid promotion, meetings and increased responsibility after you leave the Navy as well?

Edit: I see your post above, but I still want to know: Will you avoid "dealing with bullshit" at any cost, even after you leave the Navy? Because I'm pretty sure most jobs involve that very thing.

DustyNuts fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Nov 22, 2014

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

My first Skipper on a DD was an older black guy, grew a big grey beard on deployment and drank bottles of red wine in his at-sea cabin. He was fair, friendly and funny. Everyone loved him. He died from a heart attack four months after deployment, on New Year's Day in his bathtub. I've been lucky with CO's in my career, all of them have been really great - from SWO to EOD to Aviation.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

buttplug posted:

I still don't understand why they made GBS like FYAD/BYOB - what a stupid loving idea. Now I can't tell the three of them apart, it's basically just a bunch of ransom, stupid inside jokes and dick-waving.

GBS was getting really terrible. Now it's a lot like it used to be in the old days, and that's good. BYOB came around as a foil to FYAD, and has always sucked. FYAD is as old as GBS and is in constant flux - with humor that is hit or miss, and always circle-jerky and stupid. I'm OK with the way the forums are right now.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

buttplug posted:

What do you define as "the old days"? I've been lurking SA since '99... I don't ever recall GBS being this bad. Mind you, there was a period of time where I wasn't on these forums consistently (maybe 8-10 months) and I know GBS had a lot of contentless posts, but making it a giant one-note joke seems a bit extreme. I fail to see how making it BYOB lite where BYOB is FYAD-lite is an improvement. Just my opinion...

It's funnier than the news stream it became, and it's funnier than this poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

The dudes at my squadron work 12 on 12 off. Doesn't seem like 1/2 shore duty to me.

• Locked thread