Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

LingcodKilla posted:

13 days till I ship to boot.

You chose the worst time possible to go to Great Lakes. I'm sure you had 'no choice', but congratulations regardless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Zotix posted:

So I signed for AECF Reserves today. Please tell me I didn't make a huge mistake.

With FCs in the reserves now I can't wait to get them in A school and deal with new exciting problems.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
Sonar techs are smelly and weird.

One time we caught one of them smoking spice in the NIXIE room.

Whelp that's my sonar tech story.

EDIT: Holy loving poo poo they also had a bad habit of draining my loving skid constantly because they were bad and dumb, gently caress sonar techs forever.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

SPACE HOMOS posted:

This is true. The A-school in point loma is full of stinky retards. I knew a guy who ate nothing but chef boyardee and smoked nonstop, his room smelt so loving bad. Our CA2 WCS used to play video games nonstop in nixie and piss out of the nixie tubes.

Which skid? On the ship I was on we owned the skid below the deep mag (on a ddg).

On the cruiser I was on my skid (the computer/display skid) cooled a couple of their consoles and they always felt the need to gently caress with valves. Seriously every time it was empty I just walked up to control and looked under the deck plates.

By the time I left the ship the sonar techs they had onboard were mostly normal people (including a normal girl!) but holy poo poo were the weird ones loving out there.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

LingcodKilla posted:

Just landed in Chicago! Oh boy boot!

Today was the first day it snowed in Great Lakes.

Have fun.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
Angry Fish is an enormous pos so really no one should be happy about him getting those bennies.

Panda the normal stg girl I was talking about is a long way out of the navy so it couldn't have been you.

E: I mean good for you though, who knows maybe the navy made you the way you are.

PneumonicBook fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Nov 18, 2014

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Angry Fish posted:

Every Navy thread, PneumaticBook has to make his every other post a "guys, guys guys...huehuehue! this POSTER is a shitbag! guys! this IDIOT sucks at life," shouted into the echo chamber. I'm kind of sorry for responding to it.

I mean nothing you said was false.

Now please stop using Tranet resources for thread making GBS threads.

E: how much time do you have left pandasmores? Eventually you'll forget the pain...or it will at least dull it.

PneumonicBook fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Nov 19, 2014

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

:ohdear:

E6 evals are being debriefed and from what I'm hearing brag sheets were mostly ignored. Also this CO didn't want to hear about college classes/us maps/cool/etc unless you got a degree or certification from it.

This led to things like a dude who's getting his masters in a few weeks being told he'd been coasting.

Clearly the eval system is totally fine though.

PneumonicBook fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Nov 20, 2014

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

ActusRhesus posted:

The longer the title the more meaningless the job.

But the more important they think it is!

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

ManMythLegend posted:

As a relatively senior guy on here who has had to go through more ranking boards then I ever wanted I will give all of you some advice about evals, and that is the primary factor used to rank people is quality of work in your actual job with respect to how much face time you get with your primary ranking level*. It's not bake sales, or CPO 365, or whatever the gently caress.

It doesn't matter how many off duty PhD's you get, or how much hard work you do in a shop tucked in some corner of the ship, the only way to break out from your peers is to do moderate to high quality in-rate work that your primary ranker hears about in person not a brag sheet. That's it. That's the secret.

Ever wondered why that guy who's eval is full of PFA scores and bake sale participation got ranked above yours which was full of hard data on repairs and operations? I promise you, with 100% certainty, that it was because whatever actual work that guy did in rate got briefed to his primary ranker more then yours did. The written body of an eval is almost certainly created after the rankings are decided, and so that dude who got ranked higher just gets a lot of fluff built in to fill it out and justify whatever ranking he got a priori.

I write this to tell you that, like most things in the Navy, the only person that can take care of you is you. If you honestly feel that you do better work then your peers then all you have to do is figure out who your primary ranker is and be up in their buisness about what you're doing. Make sure they understand that you are busy keeping them out of trouble and you will be rewarded. If you don't want to volunteer for bake sales or MWR or whatever, then don't. Just be more vocal about the hard work you already do.

*: What I mean by primary ranking level is whichever level of ranking board really carries the most weight onboard. If your CoC just goes with the chief's mess rankings then it's your chiefs, if they just go along with the DH's then it's your DH, if it's the XO's ranking then it's him, etc.

Edit: As an addendum, I will add that if your chiefs are your primary rankers I feel bad for you because in general they suck really bad at it. In fact they are absolutely terrible at it.

I agree with most of what you said as someone who's collected plenty of EP's (on a ship). That being said, as an instructor at ET/FC 'A' with a full load of classes (and a whole bunch of absolutely ridiculous rules that make filling our classes with instructors especially challenging) there is literally no way to stand out in that way unless you come to the command at the right time and are chosen as the next lpo/student coordinator/whatever. Our entire day is spent instructing, period, full stop. Compare that to Promar or ATT. Promar instructors have one class on deck every three weeks or so. ATT has enough manning to have two instructors per class, which lets the other instructor go faff about under a dude's desk or whatever. I suppose we're supposed to make up neato collaterals or something to get face time. A funny thing said to me at my last eval debrief was that people can't get ranked by their primary duty. Everyone is exactly as good at instructing as everyone else which is the most loving lolol thing I've ever heard. There are ways to directly measure the effectiveness of an instructor, the command chooses not to though and keeps doing it the "Navy" way though, which automatically screws our command over.

Also I was more commenting on the immense disconnect we have with our (even immediate) CoC. Like how do you not know what your sailors are doing? We do CDBs and poo poo constantly.

I imagine our Chiefs are our primary rankers, except there's a million of them spread out between all of CSCSU and it probably becomes a pissing match with seniority overruling anything else. Actually I'm pretty sure that's exactly what happens judging by all of the extra bullshit that gets thrown our buildings way because "A senior chief threw his star down".

This command is super hosed, the eval thing is just one part of it.

Anyway, there's my enlisted.txt for the month.
This command is completely hosed, the eval thing is just one part of it.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

ManMythLegend posted:

Yeah, for a sprawling shore command like a school house it's got to be incredibly tough to break out. And they're sort of right about ranking everyone based on their actual job because I doubt you guys are collecting data that would allow differentiation between instructors. In that case I would say just being visibile in anyway you can is the best way to "break out".

We actually do, not that anyone looks at it. AFAIK scores, averages, failures, and critiques are all cataloged into a database for NETC.

Also the amount of people that should never be allowed anywhere near students but make it through special duty screening and then NITC is staggering. For every one good instructor we get it seems like we get three that sleep with students/are socially inept/were terminal expo/etc. Whenever I hear that we're the top ten percent of the Navy I just laugh and laugh.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Angry Fish posted:

MTS is more important than better educated students.

Holy poo poo do not get me spun up on that garbage.

Perhaps if it dealt with instructing and not curriculum development they'd have a leg to stand on.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Angry Fish posted:

My wife just joked that if her job eliminates her team's product (and by extension, her and a hundred well-paying e.e. jobs), she'll join the Navy.

:suicide:

You...you do tell her about the navy right?

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Analogical posted:

1MGUR JLAW Analyst

:golfclap:

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

DustyNuts posted:

Navy screwed up another advancement results release. Congratulations to those that made it!

Has there been one that hasn't leaked?

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
I think we do this every cycle with panda.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

germskr posted:

Anybody proficient with the programs on USMAP that would be willing to answer a couple of questions offline? I have PM but if you don't just leave your email and I'll get in contact with you, thanks.

I've been using it for awhile and am almost done with one, go ahead and pm me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Null Integer posted:

So, I may be looking at being Submarine DQ'd due to medical issues, and need to start investigating possible rates. Any suggestions?

Odds are good they'll just rerate you fc. We have a bunch of former sub guys going through fc a right now. They're terrible people.

• Locked thread