Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
germskr
Oct 23, 2007

HAHAHA! Ahh Eeeee BPOOF!

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Enjoy getting bootcamp ebola

They got rid of the old canteens so he/she should be safe. Despite deconning my canteen every holiday routine, I could never get rid of the awful smell and to this day I still remember its pungent odor.

DEPer, make sure to volunteer for shoveling duty, it's a blast!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

germskr
Oct 23, 2007

HAHAHA! Ahh Eeeee BPOOF!

theAcidQueen posted:

Let's timeline this poo poo.

~~14th of October: I sprained my ankle. I'm not a doctor, so I can't immediately diagnose foot pain. I had been wearing shoes with poor support (flatfooted) for a few weeks prior to arriving, so i had chalked it up to
"Ok, it's a shoe problem, switch it up, and it should improve".

~~20th October: I went to barge medical for the 1st time, because it was starting to be a problem. I was given Motrine, and nothing else. no "ok you might have injured yourself let's take you for an X-ray", no "ok we're taking you off the ship for a week", nothing.

~~24th Oct to 3rd November- House Hunting later that week. For the following week, I had essentially no transportation to and from anywhere, so i was walking, LOTS. By that time my foot had gone from minor pain to "hey this is pretty swollen let's go to medical"

~~November 3rd, I went back to medical. By then my foot was rather swollen, and walking consisted of me LIMPING from place to place. Again, nobody says anything, nor is this considered unusual by navy standards, apparently. They finally decide to wrap my foot up, place me on LLD, and give me more Motrine. No talk of X-rays, or anything like that; just "Give it a week, come back and let's re-evaluate"

gently caress that.

~~November 4th: I went to the Emergency Room on my own accord the very next day. I'm able to describe EXACTLY what's wrong to the doctor, immediately get the X-Ray, and finally get a diagnosis of "Ankle Sprain". I'm given crutches, even more painkillers, and back on my merry way I go. When I arrive back at the ship on crutches, I'm almost immediately TAD'd to DESRON for the week, and promptly hurried off the ship.

~~November 5-12: Essentially home all day, every day, enjoying a lovely diet of icing my ankle, painkillers, and watching Animal Planet. My DIVO calls me almost daily to remind me that " I can't be on Crutches Forever, you know", and to possibly motivate me to want to stay in the navy past my 2 year extension.

I have to go back to Ship's Medical on Monday for a follow up, because apparently the idiot HMC there who let me SUFFER for almost a month before deciding that i was actually hurt is apparently the only person that determine my status.

Sorry to hear, but honestly some of the blame lies with you. Walking around for house hunting when you knew you had a sprained ankle only exacerbated the condition when you should have been resting it/gone and bought an Ace bandage at the NEX (they do wonders). Yes, unfortunately a lot of people limp around in the Navy (either legitimate or fake) so it's not like a guy coming in with pieces of a M2HB receiver and brass shrapnel embedded in his leg and getting first rate care, but the Ace bandage you should have bought would have done a lot to alleviate the swelling and give support if you had to be on your feet walking around. I'm not gonna sugar coat- you're a big-boy/girl and we all know how inadequate Naval medicine can be so if you were expecting them to give you a compress/support bandage, X-ray, rainbows and unicorns etc. the first go-around you thought wrong even though that's their job.

Typically speaking, if it's broken you won't be able to bear weight on it or it should be excruciating pain, so while I'm not siding with medical here I can understand why an X-ray was not at the top of their list. As people here have said before, document everything and if it continues to bother you after it's "healed", get documentation and collect that disability. Remember, you're just another number to the service so be proactive about your own health because no amount of money they give me after I get out is worth a broken body.

germskr
Oct 23, 2007

HAHAHA! Ahh Eeeee BPOOF!

ActusRhesus posted:

Disagree. I wasn't using those joints much anyway.

Aren't you a noble? Some of us serfs will continue to do manual labor post-military lol.

Edit:

Is that flashlight on backwards on that rifle? :psyduck:

germskr
Oct 23, 2007

HAHAHA! Ahh Eeeee BPOOF!

TsarAleksi posted:

It sounds like you've made your bed in the Navy but you will encounter plenty of stupid crap, idiot coworkers, jerks, and meaningless tasks in "real world" jobs too. Doesn't mean you shouldn't get out, but a strong "grass is greener" bias can lead to serious disappointment.

At least I can quit in the real world. Or at the very least tell a superior to gently caress off without threat of going to mast- just risk a bad job reference in the future. :rolleyes:

Someone once told me you don't get to pick your family or your coworkers.

germskr
Oct 23, 2007

HAHAHA! Ahh Eeeee BPOOF!
Anybody ever deal with PCSing and breaking their lease? I know under the Servicemember Civil Relief Act termination of a lease is acceptable if deploying overseas (which I've used in the past no problem) but not sure if this also applies to PCS? I'd talk to my admin about this but they're too busy writing NAMs for themselves and keeping the door to their office closed until "customer service hours".

germskr
Oct 23, 2007

HAHAHA! Ahh Eeeee BPOOF!

orange juche posted:

PCSing is legit, if you have orders to another location you can break your lease. Source: I have done this thing when I PCSed before. If you are moving to another geographical location you should have no problem breaking the lease.

Sweet, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

germskr
Oct 23, 2007

HAHAHA! Ahh Eeeee BPOOF!
Anybody proficient with the programs on USMAP that would be willing to answer a couple of questions offline? I have PM but if you don't just leave your email and I'll get in contact with you, thanks.

• Locked thread