Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
I'm gonna go against the grain and say Educational PO is the best job. I was EPO all the way from day one through the end of my C-School and it never let me down. I got out of a ton of bullshit because I could ace tests (you can probably ace tests too, they're incredibly easy). My only extra job anybody ever made me do is repeat things to dumb people.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and I was in the musical division that plays 'Anchor's Aweigh' at the graduation, which meant that there was half of a second division in our compartment, two weeks behind us in training. Their RDC was no-poo poo illiterate (BM1, lol). Like, could not read. So when he was supposed to read things to his division, he would come take me away from whatever our division was doing (cleaning, usually) and have me read the powerpoint slides to his division. Hahaha

Be good at tests and running. Everything else, do well enough to not gently caress up but don't bother trying to be good at anything. People who are really good at marching, cleaning and keeping things (like logs and watch-bills) organized get hosed. People who are really bad at anything get hosed.

TheQuietWilds fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Nov 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

Null Integer posted:

Boot Camp Ebola is no longer a joke, it's real ebola!

Laundry PO was pretty sweet. I had 3 people under me, and I would always slip away to clean the laundry room when a beating was near for the division. Also I got to go on some nice jogs during the day to return old laundry/delivered laundry to sent back recruits.

Getting "beat" was legitimately the only thing worth doing in boot camp. I don't know why people complain about working out, even if they're dumb lovely workouts. Do some pushups, don't be a fat, enjoy yourself.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

Schlabbalabba posted:

Took me a long time to figure out:

Show up: P
Do job: MP
Do a really good job: P, everybody hates you
Suck a lot of penis: EP

There you go.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
If you're worried about motion sickness, before you ship off go to the MTF and ask for 90 days worth of extended release trans-dermal scopolamine patches. If you have frequent, recurring motion sickness they work really well. If someone at the hospital won't give them to you, some IDC will probably write you a script. Using the patches doesn't prevent your body from adapting to the motion (getting sea-legs), so just use them until you don't need them anymore.

EDIT: 90 days is hillarious overkill, but it's free, and that's the most they'll give at once. They might give you 30 days, and that's probably just as good.

TheQuietWilds fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Nov 3, 2014

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

ManMythLegend posted:

If you are in any way associated with Navy medicine I hope everything you love turns to ashes in your mouth and you die in a fire.

Too late, I got away

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

Zotix posted:

What was the mistake? Aecf, the reserves, or both?

To be fair, if you're enlisting in the Navy, there's probably a long string of them leading up to this point.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

buttplug posted:

put Master Chiefs in time-out (like physically make them go stand in a corner in CIC). Yea.

That's actually sort of awesome if you think about it.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
Pandasmores you seem like a dude I probably would have liked working with at the hospital. I did the same thing with tanking the test repeatedly in order to stay a third class - I didn't have an NEC and I just wanted to stay in the ER/ICU, because that's what I'm planning on spending my life doing. Turned out well for me in the end, because the doctors I worked with (who were all just counting down the days until they got out) all thought I was hot poo poo and wrote me kickin' rad recommendations for school, and when I put up on Facebook that I was going to have a 6 month gap between the end of my pre-req courses and the start of medical school I got an immediate and unsolicited job offer from a former supervising physician/MO who just opened his own urgent care. There's no reason to argue with people who have never worked in Navy medicine, because they don't know any more about what your life or command is like at your workplace than we do about theirs, and trying to explain it doesn't work. Just ride out your time and then decide what you want to do next. If you want to be an E4, be an E4 - the military is the only organization stupid enough to have some who loves their job, is good at it, and just wants to stay doing it and not get promoted or anything, and be mad about that. There's nothing wrong with looking at the life of someone who gets paid a little more to put up with a lot more bullshit and thinking "nope, not for me."

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

vulturesrow posted:

This bad advice. Navy medicine is not some special snowflake unique place where all the bs is somehow different than the bs in the rest of the Navy. If you deliberately tank a rating exam, you are literally throwing money away. I'm an O4 over 16 and if you told me I could take a test where they told me exactly what I needed to study and if I did well my base pay might increase by 200-300 dollars per month I'd be all over it.

You are literally throwing money away by not being an investment banker

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

Boon posted:

No, you're not, and that's a stupid argument. The presumption of opportunity cost means you had that option to begin with.

Panda, say what you want, but I suspect there will be a time years from now where you'll look back and think how stupid and immature your reasoning was.

My point is that you're not throwing money away by choosing not to advance. It seems like he's making a decently well thought out decision based on factors beyond "I like money." The farther from the Navy I get, the happier I am with how I played it (more or less exactly the same as him). Sometimes more money isn't worth it - if you have enough to live how you want to live and do what you want to do, why should you sacrifice quality of life in other ways for more?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
I have this philosophy: don't get so bogged down in little steps that you don't make the big jump. Everybody in the military worries about the little steps - I'll just make rank, I'll just get my pin, etc and then I'll get back to getting on with my big goals. New little steps appear, there's always a little step to distract you from making the big moves you need to really do something worthwhile. At a certain point, you've spent so much time making those small steps that it becomes too late. I say gently caress the small steps - devote your time to making the big jumps in your life. This philosophy has never steered me wrong, and I've never heard someone say "I really regret not making one more rank before I get out," but I've heard many, many people who regret never taking their shot at whatever their big goals are - get a commission, get out and move to a shack in the woods, start a farm, become a nurse/doctor/engineer or whatever. From the perspective of an O4 pilot, maybe you reached some of your more significant goals in life, and maybe the small steps you made in the Navy were the things that got you there, but your viewpoint has a lot less to offer someone in the position of an E3. He's a younger guy who hasn't really built the kind of accomplishments that he wants out of his life but I think we can all agree that he has potential to be a lot more than an E3 psych tech, and telling him to worry for more than a minute whether me gets an extra little bauble from the Navy just encourages the scared, pathetic mindset towards life that results in chiefs.

• Locked thread