Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
Dude you gotta tell us what happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Welp, so much for fun port visits in Turkey.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

DustyNuts posted:

Adding confirmation that we were explicitly told not to be a buddy fucker in the year 2000. This has been happening for a long time. I'm a CFL, it obviously happens in any large group doing a PRT. And it happens everywhere. It's a Navy tradition!?

Oh and in 2000 you wouldn't leave boot camp at 18-19 years old unless you ran the 1.5 in 11:00. I made it at 10:57. Fastest I've ever run.

At the Academy minimum passing was 10:30. :smugdog:

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

What's up fellow bike bros? :hfive:

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Stultus Maximus posted:

So I always knew that the tape test is inaccurate but until this cycle I had no idea how bad it really was. We had a guy fail at 24% body fat in the spring cycle. He lost 15 pounds and due to the way he lost it, they measured him at 13% body fat this cycle. That was literally impossible. Not only was he obviously not 13% body fat, but at his weight he would have had to lose over 20 pounds of fat to go from 24 - 13.

The first time I got close to going over on the tape test they had me at 21%. I had a trainer measure me with calipers. She did a seven site test and came up with 14%.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

buttplug posted:

I say "mental calculus" all the time... I hear that poo poo in the civilian sector all the time :shrek:

This is not a shock to anyone who's read more than 2 of your posts.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Analogical posted:

Have you ever gotten a coin before? Our command doesn't have any coins I'm aware of and I've never heard of anyone getting one outside asking the Admiral a bullshit first question about when CTs will have opportunities to go to space (serious loving question. guy got EMI for being a jackass and embarrassing 800 people)

EMI? He should've gotten a COM because that is loving hilarious.

Mr. Nice! posted:

I can't find my SWO pin and I'm a little sad. It might have gotten thrown away.

drat, that really is a kick in the balls. I hope you find it man.

Analogical posted:

What's the process like for making coins? A while ago a friend of mine and I were thinking about making some for general use

"Blue Falcon of the Quarter"

In my first squadron we JOs purchased a blue parrot stuffed animal in Key West and it was hung over any offending JO's chair in the ready room on the boat. It was a very effective public shaming.

TheQuietWilds posted:

That's actually sort of awesome if you think about it.

Yeah it really is.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Cyber warrior slap fights, sad and funny at the same time, much like a clown on fire.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

PneumonicBook posted:

I mean nothing you said was false.

Now please stop using Tranet resources for thread making GBS threads.

E: how much time do you have left pandasmores? Eventually you'll forget the pain...or it will at least dull it.

Mods!

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Pandasmores posted:

I'm not. I show everyone what to do, I teach every LPO how to do their jobs, I make everyone laugh with jokes and help the new kids out of corps school how to plan ahead and what they need to do to get by, but at the end of the day I view it as something that hardly matters for my time in. This is especially true with my year left, a chain that lets people get away with bullshit and I'm not going to reenlist. If I pick up, I'm not gaining anything except more responsibility and being forced to go to boards and stuff because I "have to set the example", experiencing all the bullshit with just a few hundred dollars added to my pocket? Nah, no thanks. I don't view it as me sticking it to the man or anything by not picking up, I just free up a slot for someone that wants it and probably needs it. If you joined the Navy for the money, your efforts would better serve you outside with the same motivation in school. Some people don't have a choice because of walls they built themselves or were born into. If I wanted money I could be doing other things.

I'd say this falls squarely into going full retard territory.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

TheQuietWilds posted:

Pandasmores you seem like a dude I probably would have liked working with at the hospital. I did the same thing with tanking the test repeatedly in order to stay a third class - I didn't have an NEC and I just wanted to stay in the ER/ICU, because that's what I'm planning on spending my life doing. Turned out well for me in the end, because the doctors I worked with (who were all just counting down the days until they got out) all thought I was hot poo poo and wrote me kickin' rad recommendations for school, and when I put up on Facebook that I was going to have a 6 month gap between the end of my pre-req courses and the start of medical school I got an immediate and unsolicited job offer from a former supervising physician/MO who just opened his own urgent care. There's no reason to argue with people who have never worked in Navy medicine, because they don't know any more about what your life or command is like at your workplace than we do about theirs, and trying to explain it doesn't work. Just ride out your time and then decide what you want to do next. If you want to be an E4, be an E4 - the military is the only organization stupid enough to have some who loves their job, is good at it, and just wants to stay doing it and not get promoted or anything, and be mad about that. There's nothing wrong with looking at the life of someone who gets paid a little more to put up with a lot more bullshit and thinking "nope, not for me."-

This bad advice. Navy medicine is not some special snowflake unique place where all the bs is somehow different than the bs in the rest of the Navy. If you deliberately tank a rating exam, you are literally throwing money away. I'm an O4 over 16 and if you told me I could take a test where they told me exactly what I needed to study and if I did well my base pay might increase by 200-300 dollars per month I'd be all over it.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

TheQuietWilds posted:

You are literally throwing money away by not being an investment banker

Boon already explained why this is a terrible comparison but let me lay it out a little more for you. Regardless of what you think, there is almost no chance I can get a job where I make more money starting off than I am right now when you factor in the associated benefits. I'd be lucky to get somewhat close. By the time I even had the option to get out I was already halfway to retirement, we were in a bad economy, and I have a family to take care of. Granted, I enjoy my job but that is besides the point because even if I had hated it I would've sucked it up and kept plugging along. Pandas' life is not going to suddenly become orders of magnitude more difficult because he becomes a Petty Officer and suddenly has a few more responsibilities in his life. Obviously the considerations change when you are looking at getting out vice staying in and I'm a big believer that for most enlisted guys, getting out is the right thing to do. But that isn't what we are talking about here. We are talking about him being able to make himself a little more financially secure when he makes that jump which is pretty drat important. Not trying to make rate for the reasons Pandas laid is not an adult decision.

And to be clear, I'm not making GBS threads on him for no reason. I like him and he seems like a good dude and I (and everyone else) am trying to help him see the flaws in his reasoning. You have whole bunch of guys here with differing backgrounds and experiences in the military all telling him he is being dumb. Maybe there is something to it. I'm glad you are happy with the way you handled things but frankly in my time in the Navy your experience is the exception.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Analogical posted:

So I turned in my eval earlier this week.

February-June of this year I was TDY after being selected for advanced training that only one other sailor in my command of 1200 currently has.

Then fly back to home division for 43 days.

July-now I'm on what is arguably one of the highest-speed assignments available to my rating without going to Dam Neck. I'm not saying this to brag, I'm highlighting how this is something my command should be excited one of their sailors is involved with.

Got an email back today, wherein my chain asked me to submit an eval only covering the days I was back in my division since my last eval 16MAR, which is a total of 43 days in which we were surging, and I held no positions or did anything but work for 12 hours, go home and repeat.

My eval this cycle included writing a 186 page book for the DoD, my training earlier in the year and this assignment. But instead, the Navy only wants to know what I did while I "rested" for a few weeks between my TDYs. This might be a stupid question, but is that right? I don't understand why I wouldn't be evaluated for my accomplishments on, or even being selected for, the TDYs I was sent on. Someone just completing their JQS is going to have a stronger eval than me as mine will be virtually empty. I wasn't even on a team when I was back because they had me preparing to leave again doing OJT and workups. I'm not saying I deserve or need an EP or an MP, but I'm coming up on my window for orders or getting the gently caress out. I'd been leaning on getting out, but I'm still going to drop applications to a few programs that will want my last few evals in case one picks me up and I decide to stay, and I don't want to show them a bad or dead looking eval.

I don't remember ever being hassled about my TDY dates before, though I've never been gone this long before either (practically the entire year.) So more experienced sailors: is this something I should challenge? When I got the message earlier I was a mix of pissed off and confused, though given my experience in this division so far I can't say I'm entirely surprised.

I need to go look at the relevant instructions but yeah they are right in that their eval on you doesn't include duties you performed while TAD/TDY. If you're lucky you can get the CO at your TDY location to write an eval on you but it doesn't add a whole lot of weight. It would be worth your time to read the EVALMAN on how TDY is handled because you may have been away long enough that you should be in your own ranking group. Dustynuts might be able to add some useful info as well; he is pretty much a god when it comes to this stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Happy Thanksgiving squids. I hope you all managed to skate out of any duty requirements and work related bs. If you can't be with the people you want to be with the holiday I hope you make the most of it wherever you are. Be safe, and be gluttonous.

• Locked thread