Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

LingcodKilla posted:

13 days till I ship to boot.

Oh man, it's gonna be cold as gently caress for you at boot. Hope you enjoy sideways snow and subzero temps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Schlabbalabba posted:

For a year in DEP, I really pushed myself into great shape. I ran, played lots of sports, rode my bike around, etc. just to try and get in some sort of shape for boot camp. I thought it was going to be so hard that I wasn't sure I was going to make it. Then I get there. Okay, we're going to run two miles today and thats it. By the way, there is soda and powerade on tap, and you are going to get eight hours of sleep almost every night. WARRIORS!

For a year in DEP I did pretty much nothing outside of the norm, didn't go out and run a lot/do sports etc. I got to boot camp, and it still wasn't hard. It's all a mind game, get through that and you have it on lock.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Gray Matter posted:

There will come a time for "Moment of Truth".

Keep your loving mouth shut.

QFT

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Hekk posted:

What do I need to know about living on a ship? I am going on an LPD for a bit. I am told I'll have a 4 man state room and can hang out in the Chief's Mess but I don't know poo poo about boats since I've never been on one before.

Depends on your rank, if you're a senior NCO then you will get treated probably the same as the the Chiefs on the ship.

If it's a gator freighter, they have flat bottoms, so they don't do rough seas very well, hope you don't get seasick. I've not been on an amphib in the middle of the Atlantic/pacific, but if the waves can bounce a carrier, I'd hate to know what they do to ships smaller than them, esp with a a flat bottomed hull.

Tip for survival, have a private TP stash, and don't share it. Even is it is terrible ship TP, it is infinitely better than none.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Hekk posted:

Is it cool to murder Thai lady boys if we are too drunk to catch it until we grab their junk? I've heard that's kind of a right of passage for new guys during asian port calls.

It's like an initiation rite for first time westpac cruises tbh.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Zotix posted:

So I signed for AECF Reserves today. Please tell me I didn't make a huge mistake.

Why does noone ever ask before they do this poo poo.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

SPACE HOMOS posted:

Its not that speed dictates how deep the array is on a surface ship as we can always pay more line out. Its the fact that water travelling over the array causes noise to blanket out anything quiet. Which makes having the array out during plane guard duty really cool and something you should definitely do if you want to annoy all the stgs as for some magical reason the array only goes out at night.

Edit: Also ask me about JSM's MFTA adventure where we learn that the butt plug can hold the entire array with nothing on the drum!

Bet that was a pants-making GBS threads moment.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

LingcodKilla posted:

Just landed in Chicago! Oh boy boot!

Abandon all hope, all ye who enter here. See you in 8 weeks or so :unsmigghh:

DustyNuts posted:

Are you sitting quietly in the USO yet. Put your lighters and smokes into the bin.

This. Do this because otherwise you get to see them confiscate your poo poo and smoke it in front of you, after yelling at you for bringing contraband to great lakes

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

We were always encouraged not to be a buddy fucker, but on the run, you sink or swim on your own merits. If you fail the loving run, you are a fatass, plain and simple. Whining that your RDCs told you to is basically not having enough self control to not scarf down that large meat lovers pizza by yourself that you ordered from Dominos to be delivered to your loving barracks room.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

I don't know dick about acoustic detection, active or otherwise, but you guys do, please don't put anything on the internet that might have a red sticker on it somewhere.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Mr. Nice! posted:

You just said "factored into my calculus." You'll do fine in 16 years when you get your first star.

:drat:

You're hosed MML, you will never be free.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

I got a coin from Secdef once. Wonder what I did with that?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

germskr posted:

Anybody ever deal with PCSing and breaking their lease? I know under the Servicemember Civil Relief Act termination of a lease is acceptable if deploying overseas (which I've used in the past no problem) but not sure if this also applies to PCS? I'd talk to my admin about this but they're too busy writing NAMs for themselves and keeping the door to their office closed until "customer service hours".

PCSing is legit, if you have orders to another location you can break your lease. Source: I have done this thing when I PCSed before. If you are moving to another geographical location you should have no problem breaking the lease. If you are moving from Oceana to Norfolk, you may not be allowed to though, due to it being in the same location roughly.

E: what hekk said, I'm on my phone so I couldn't really post the detailed how-to.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Nov 23, 2014

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Black Balloon posted:

I fuckin love money.

get paid

:synpa:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

:heysexy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Nick Soapdish posted:

Happy Thanksgiving GiP Sailors, hope those on duty had people bring reheated turkey. For the rest of us, booze and gluttony.

I went over to the galley, saw the line out the door and down the sidewalk, and I walked right back to the building I work at and reheated some cold pizza. Happy thanksgiving, fuckers.

• Locked thread