Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Analogical
May 20, 2013

EEOD? Why not, I could use a break from work

:911:

Sir Lucius posted:

But all we did was play flag football and eat burgers and dogs! And everyone brought their actual dogs, and at no point did a single person talk about work, evals, or any Navy bullshit. It was kind of cool.

I experienced this once when visiting a pilot friend out in P-Cola. We showed up at this dept-wide barbeque at someone's house, everyone was playing cornhole (not e3 barracks cornhole :cumpolice:) and talking about jets n poo poo and I remember holding my steak (OFFICERS) and my bourbon (OFFICERS) and going "Wh- why"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Analogical
May 20, 2013

SPACE HOMOS posted:

I don't know poo poo about officer life or being in command, I just know cruisers got choice liberty ports over destroyers. But maybe that was the god loving fuckhead we had that declined thailand.

Went into an officer's mess. They had a stocked bar with two arcade machines (shore). pretty much summed up my choices to me

Analogical
May 20, 2013

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Or the Navy Times will.

NT is weak. You gotta gently caress up so bad you're in the Army Times

Analogical
May 20, 2013

Gray Matter posted:

Unless this is a common occurrence, I have a suspicion I know exactly the airman you are referring to

every A1C

Analogical
May 20, 2013

Sir Lucius posted:

Hey you designed it, I just did the vector trace. Send it my way again (sirlucius at gmail.com).

Have you ever gotten a coin before? Our command doesn't have any coins I'm aware of and I've never heard of anyone getting one outside asking the Admiral a bullshit first question about when CTs will have opportunities to go to space (serious loving question. guy got EMI for being a jackass and embarrassing 800 people)

Analogical
May 20, 2013

Lou Takki posted:

So, did he get a coin for that?

If so, lol.

Did he get a coin? yes

Does he have a coin? no :chiefsay:

Analogical
May 20, 2013

orange juche posted:

I got a coin from Secdef once. Wonder what I did with that?

Secdef is cool as poo poo. came for a brief and spent like a half hour asking if we liked our jobs, felt supported etc. Ended up convincing our d/ops to cut us loose four hours early because it was our Friday. dops was pissed but its the secdef the poo poo you gonna do about it GS-12 pleb

Analogical
May 20, 2013

What's the process like for making coins? A while ago a friend of mine and I were thinking about making some for general use

"Blue Falcon of the Quarter"

Analogical
May 20, 2013

Pandasmores posted:

Meh, chances probably aren't too far off you do. There's a lot of kiddies showing up wanting it and some idiots are giving med separations to them I guess to not get the media into it? I don't know, I guess it's archaic to have medical benefits for people that have actually lost limbs or functionality in their life because of injuries through their service and the new thing is to give it to every kid that turns up with a problem with what they're told to do because mommy and daddy didn't set an example of "You do as you're told when you've signed a contract agreeing to it." AN Douchebag gets separate and collects benefits for being a whiny oval office, meanwhile Sgt Deployments is still waiting to get treated for the shrapnel slowly digging through his body while in pain. Honestly commands need to understand that they can administratively separate anyone they drat well please, and if some kid didn't disclose to the Navy that they had X problem before coming in it's not the government's problem to have to pay them for it.

In other news, apparently my BAH request that has been sitting around for nearly five months is going to sit around some more because people are magically leaving the barracks at a faster rate than they're being replaced, but my chit along with the chits of 2 higher enlisted dudes are still waiting to get signed. The investigation into someone borrowing money from everyone she can get her rank and fingers around is still "going on", which the last time we heard that it was swept under the rug until someone tore the rug up and brought it up again after a potluck was involved. With the holidays, I doubt anything will happen, while the lower enlisted that gave money are keeping quiet because this is the nature of the Navy, among other shady poo poo that happens but no one ever says a drat thing.

In other news, I apparently have a new pet that'll be staying in an apartment with a friend.

Tell DAPA she's using the money to fuel her furious alcoholism and the rug will combust instantaneously and she'll disappear for up to 42 days

Analogical
May 20, 2013

That blows. Our DAPA is so trigger-happy you get talked to for having a keychain bottle-opener. I'm sure there's effective ways to rattle that chain ie embarrass a noble into action.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

buttplug posted:

put Master Chiefs in time-out (like physically make them go stand in a corner in CIC). Yea.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

Sir Lucius posted:

So it looks like the quarterdeck watch has pissed off enough departments that they're going back to it being staffed by those stuck in holding. This was pretty much the best news and now I can't use "gently caress duty days" as an excuse for getting out of the Navy. But seriously, gently caress duty days, they have no point at an intel command.

South hasn't figured that out yet. We stand watch practically monthly and it makes no sense that the loving holdees don't do it since they do jack poo poo anyway for like three months and we get them weekly. The other chain doesn't even care if we worked mids, your rear end comes in for day shift with a two hour adjustment.

Stupidest poo poo. Reasoning for it is that we "don't act Navy enough" -CMC-that-came-from-the-fleet-and-isnt-and-has-never-worked-intel

They shake their heads at us like we're faggots for not appreciating Navy customs. If you want me to be a sailor then put me on a ship you stupid fucks.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

buttplug posted:

Sir Lucius and I work at the same command:gay: (2300+ people) and I can tell you that we do not exist to support unit or squadron-level assets *parts* of the command are dedicated to exactly that, but the command as a whole is not. We're talking legitimate highest-priority national-level missions in MOST instances. Not an exaggeration. We (as in our command) is anomalous in that regard, but not every shore station in the Navy lives and breathes to support the Fleet (regardless of whatever bullshit political Naval spin CAPT Wants-a-star tries to put on his mission). There is more to the DoD than that, especially when the majority of our Navy isn't in 5th FLT lobbing Tomahawks into Syria, but doing drift ops/box ops in the middle of nowhere.

And while I fully empathize the rear end-pain and frustration of being at an operational unit and not being able to get a hold of Person X at Shore Command Y because it's 1530 EST (but o'dark thirty in your floating prison) and they're gone for the day, but that's the exception not the norm. That's why shore duty is there: to recharge your batteries. If the mission was legitimately that important, somebody'd be on a duty phone at the very least.

Not to mention we have three chains of command depending on where here you work. I've never supported naval interests before or even seen or met any of the direct supporters. I've spent two years in civilian clothes getting sent around teaching. It shouldn't be a shock to them that the two PRTs I do a year isn't enough interaction with the branch I joined to start using navy slang or to get gung-ho about it.

Even the national side goes "Hey, those skills we gave you? Guess what bud, we have OUR OWN maintenance requirements. See you after work pal" usually around the same time the Navy goes "Hey, we made you an Arabic linguist. We don't care if you don't actually use Arabic, you get your rear end over to navy language training each week so you don't scare me by being red in an excel document" then they bicker with each other over who is actually going to make me go where when those times conflict on a weekly basis. I even have evals I turn in for the DoD and a separate resume I have to keep that follow their rules as well as the evals I turn into the Navy.

No matter how many times I begged to move over to a navy shop like subs, surface or air their opinion of my work changed to vitally important to the Navy. I came back from the field a few months ago and ran into my old LPO in town (out of uniform) while I had long hair and a beard. "What the gently caress are you doing?" "Needs of the Navy"

I'm not going to re-enlist, not really because I hate the Navy truthfully, but all my career opportunities up to this point have come from civilians or the Army. Army asked me about switching to Warrant and got me a packet for it. Navy hasn't even ever sat me down for a CDB in the past two years. Re-enlisting at the moment just means I continue to sit next to people getting paid 2-3x as much as I do, to do the same job that I do that ask me about if I'd want to work with them out of uniform. And when the only thing that comes from the Navy has been negativity I don't see the fault in thinking it's a good idea. The command is legitimately confused as to why attrition is so high though, so I'm not sure how we can re-connect them with the issues we're having at the lower levels.

tl;dr working at our command is the same thing as having two sets of divorced parents who can't decide where i go for christmas

Analogical
May 20, 2013

This makes me chuckle as I remember how often I'd see filthy proletarians going "CTI2 (SEL)". I just got pinged by someone claiming to be my LPO that I never turned in my evals, then got pissed when I said it had to go through CAO first and they wouldn't have it by COB. Then I got repeatedly asked who was in charge, then got yelled at for being the NCOIC. And it closed with "Why the hell didn't you contact me sooner?"

Bitch I didn't even know my old LPO got out of the Navy until you called. She might be mad because yesterday when she called for me, the guy on shift convinced her for five minutes I was deployed to Afghanistan.

R.

PO1 Analogical (GIP)
1MGUR JLAW Analyst
NIOC-SA
666-6669

Analogical fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Nov 21, 2014

Analogical
May 20, 2013

Another cycle, another batch of 4-months-onboard sailors who haven't actually done the job yet getting selected over the CTI3s who have worked with me for over a year.

Not even looking at Facebook today to avoid this drama train. I do like how as soon as someone gets selected two opinions suddenly form:

1) I didn't even want 2nd ;D
2) I didn't even study

Regardless of telling everyone during test week how much you were studying and then continuing to talk about deserving a promotion up until you actually got it.

God drat do I love the Navy.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

Black Balloon posted:

gently caress, tell me about it. One of my trainees fresh to my shop picked up over some folks that've been here a year longer than me. Whatever, at least I got it this time :toot:. The CTI test is bullshit.

Our E6 advancement was complete trash this cycle too comparatively. 124 eligible and 12% because "hurrrr durrrr we're at war with like the Middle Eeest rite? We gotta GIT MORE ARAB LINGUI-- wait poo poo its over, go the gently caress home you plebs" while all the other languages who have proper manning numbers laughed at our scramble.

Most(!) of the Arab lings I know aren't even functioning as arabic linguists in any regard and are basically IS or CTRs. You'd think they could dump us into a new UIC for non-rate analyst and leave us alone.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

Fart Sandwiches posted:

So just toss that soaking wet towel in your rack! That won't backfire at all.

You gotta hang your towel somewhere on your rack so it doesn't get nasty and then some shitbird jizzes all up in but that's life in the navy. My first day on the boat someone stole my shoelaces so I had to use the little red pieces of string we used to secure the TLD to our beltloops. People steal poo poo. People jizz in poo poo.

Get out and never look back.

As a chronic TDYer I'm denied this opportunity to experience navy culture. That's why I jerk off in the tiny hotel hand towels and leave them for the maid to pick up instead

Analogical
May 20, 2013

So I turned in my eval earlier this week.

February-June of this year I was TDY after being selected for advanced training that only one other sailor in my command of 1200 currently has.

Then fly back to home division for 43 days.

July-now I'm on what is arguably one of the highest-speed assignments available to my rating without going to Dam Neck. I'm not saying this to brag, I'm highlighting how this is something my command should be excited one of their sailors is involved with.

Got an email back today, wherein my chain asked me to submit an eval only covering the days I was back in my division since my last eval 16MAR, which is a total of 43 days in which we were surging, and I held no positions or did anything but work for 12 hours, go home and repeat.

My eval this cycle included writing a 186 page book for the DoD, my training earlier in the year and this assignment. But instead, the Navy only wants to know what I did while I "rested" for a few weeks between my TDYs. This might be a stupid question, but is that right? I don't understand why I wouldn't be evaluated for my accomplishments on, or even being selected for, the TDYs I was sent on. Someone just completing their JQS is going to have a stronger eval than me as mine will be virtually empty. I wasn't even on a team when I was back because they had me preparing to leave again doing OJT and workups. I'm not saying I deserve or need an EP or an MP, but I'm coming up on my window for orders or getting the gently caress out. I'd been leaning on getting out, but I'm still going to drop applications to a few programs that will want my last few evals in case one picks me up and I decide to stay, and I don't want to show them a bad or dead looking eval.

I don't remember ever being hassled about my TDY dates before, though I've never been gone this long before either (practically the entire year.) So more experienced sailors: is this something I should challenge? When I got the message earlier I was a mix of pissed off and confused, though given my experience in this division so far I can't say I'm entirely surprised.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Analogical
May 20, 2013

My command has a public masting for a girl who's friend left their bar-hopping group and had sex with someone while way too drunk and decided a week later this was a poor decision and later admitted this but never got called on it by a SAPR, the command or anyone else and made jokes about how bad her friend got hosed was raped, because she didn't watch her friend like a hawk.

On a more serious note. Anyone have any info going Navy->Army, specifically warrant? They're always low on SIGINT Warrant packets, and I was thinking about dropping one but I haven't met anyone else that's done that kind of transition. Frankly I work with SIGINT warrants as it is, so the job is 100% the same except that I'm a warrant and dealing with a different flavor of bullshit than I'm used to while getting paid marginally more.

Chief in 6 years awwwrite.

Analogical fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Nov 25, 2014

• Locked thread