Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

LingcodKilla posted:

13 days till I ship to boot.

I spent new years at bootcamp and it sucked. Enjoy getting bootcamp ebola

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

LingcodKilla posted:

Do you mean a cold pack like a set of hankies or literally a cold ice pack?

Its a bag of different medicines they hand out at sick call

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Gray Matter posted:

Well I was one of those dumb dudes.. copped to having been prescribed some antidepressants some ~12 years prior, among other poo poo, and as a result was not allowed to shoot for the pistol qual and had to see the shrink every 2 weeks in boot. Unfortunately was not kicked the gently caress out and am still living life an indentured servant.

Ahahahahahhahaha

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Hekk posted:

Thanks for the advice. I've got the macbook and an external hard drive full of movies, an ereader, and a 3DS to mess around with. So I am hoping that'll help cure boredom.

Next question: Over the years I've seen the shellback certificates and hear there is a hazing ritual/ceremony for those who have never crossed the equator. Is this something worth going through? I have heard stories from dudes that have been on ship before about crawling around in food slop and grease and having to eat something out of some fat chief's bellybutton or whatever. Just trying to figure out if this is a thing that people actually do or if it's just a way to gently caress with the new guys.

It's pretty entertaining depending on how long you've been at sea doing the same poo poo on and off. Its completely harmless bullshit but it can be fun to see how people react to it, you stupid slimy wog. My favorite leisure activities while at sea were sleeping, working out and watching movies in my rack.

Id ask around about the construction of your rack. If you have the inclination and some zipties you can jerry-rig up a pretty comfortable entertainment experience in there, and since you're senior enough no one should complain as far as I understand.

Edit: All my time was on a submarine so I don't know what skimmer life is like

Kawasaki Nun fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Nov 3, 2014

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Pandasmores posted:

Please don't wish that on me. I walk into the test and leave as soon as I'm done bubbling in random things. There's nothing to gain at this command except misery and pain when your department has 2 enlisted and you're both E-5 and below. If I pick up, I get the bullshit from the chain a lot sooner and I have no filter, sitting through LPO meetings would be misery and I'd likely burn every bridge the guy that's in charge now has tried to build since he got here.

It's fine being a nobody, saves time.

I just hope you pick up so you're that much closer to immunity from pointless tasks.
Jesus dude you can be a nobody at a higher rank. Maximize your earnings and opportunity while you're in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Pandasmores posted:

I'm not. I show everyone what to do, I teach every LPO how to do their jobs, I make everyone laugh with jokes and help the new kids out of corps school how to plan ahead and what they need to do to get by, but at the end of the day I view it as something that hardly matters for my time in. This is especially true with my year left, a chain that lets people get away with bullshit and I'm not going to reenlist. If I pick up, I'm not gaining anything except more responsibility and being forced to go to boards and stuff because I "have to set the example", experiencing all the bullshit with just a few hundred dollars added to my pocket? Nah, no thanks. I don't view it as me sticking it to the man or anything by not picking up, I just free up a slot for someone that wants it and probably needs it. If you joined the Navy for the money, your efforts would better serve you outside with the same motivation in school. Some people don't have a choice because of walls they built themselves or were born into. If I wanted money I could be doing other things.
Be sure to document these incidents of idiocy so you can be fully evaluated as disabled by the VA because being a corpsman has broken your brain. You would sacrifice 6 months of higher pay to avoid departmental meetings and someone mentioning to you that you set an example? Being a corpsman is probably awful but refusing money because of how you feel about your command is just dumb. It sounds like they browbeat you to the point that you value the status quo over advancing.

Kawasaki Nun fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Nov 22, 2014

• Locked thread