Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

LingcodKilla posted:

Thanks guys! Yeah my later date was April so best just to loving get it done with.

So any tips on the best way to keep your head down at boot? Be in mind that I'll assume you all are lying and do the exact opposite.

Don't care about anything. It's all a dumb game. I made it the entire time without them having any clue who I was

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Hekk posted:

Serious question, does seasickness go aware with exposure? I get airsick as gently caress on helicopters for some reason and it's a pain in the rear end what with how much we move around via helo. I can fly in jets and prop planes all loving day but helos aren't natural. This has me a little concerned about being on ship. It's not like I can ask the waves to stop or whatever so I imagine it'd be pretty miserable if you get seasick and it doesn't go away.

If it starts getting bad, go outside and look around. It should make your inner ear and visual systems agree with each other and be happy again for a bit. I generally got a little queasy the first night, but as soon as I passed out and woke up it was fine.

Edit: Shellback on an LHD in 2008 was still pretty good. Shellback on a Carrier in 2010 was loving stupid and lame.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
Naval dick waving amuses me. Oh no they are going to float around menacingly. In international waters. We need to go float menacingly back!

Who cares. Don't waste gas or personnel driving another ship out there. Let them float wasting theirs.

Edit: like every time a group of Russian ships goes out there is a tug. Makes me lol a bit

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Boon posted:

I got to work with the Russians some years ago during RIMPAC (their first) in which they brought an old destroyer, an oiler, and a tug. We had very strict rules in how we handled them.

The Krylov could have a towed array, otherwise it doesn't seem to have a huge amount of antennas like most Intel ships.

Still all the more reason to not send any ships out there to be eavesdropped on.

Sea story time!

We were out and our CO invited the Commodore of a Chinese task group over for dinner. They did some dry runs with their helo in preparation to transfer him then dropped back a few miles.

They pulled back up alongside later to do the actual transfer with their towed array streaming.

After the passenger transfer was over, we claimed some bullshit reason to increase speed for safety reasons and effectively kidnapped their Commodore until they could roll up their array and catch up.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

ManMythLegend posted:

Speed isn't generally restricted just because an array is out*. The speed limitation comes in because sonar performance is significantly degraded at higher speeds.

Laranzu's boat speeding up was not becuase the chinese ship couldn't catch up with the array, it was because whatever data they collected in the process would be garbage.

* For surface ships at least. Not 100% sure on some of the sub arrays.

The More you Know! I always thought it was for line/winch stress reasons. Either way they didn't want to catch up.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Pandasmores posted:

I wonder where the schizophrenic kids that were with me in boot camp are now, we had like 4 of them and one of them in particular lasted a while, like 5-6 weeks before he lost all control.

They are still there in the broken med hold divisions. Waiting.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

ManMythLegend posted:

Biking is the best. gently caress running the PRT.

Easy as hell to pass. Decently hard to ace, but you can watch YouTube videos while doing it so who cares

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Sir Lucius posted:

We had a department event today and I actually have fun. I had fun in the Navy. Strange feeling.

I'm sorry you have lost your mind. It's always sad when a shipmate goes insane.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

PneumonicBook posted:

Has there been one that hasn't leaked?

Dudes apparently have very itchy trigger fingers. These shits get posted or leaked like every cycle.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Vriess posted:

22 November. Been out a year.

Resolution with Maryland Landlord that sued me for $22,000.

After like 6k in legal/travel costs, I met the dude in court. I put out my testimony. The judge believed me more than him. His damages, minus my security deposit, come to $120.

Feelin' pretty good.

This was all over carpets or something if I remember? gently caress that guy.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

vulturesrow posted:

Happy Thanksgiving squids. I hope you all managed to skate out of any duty requirements and work related bs. If you can't be with the people you want to be with the holiday I hope you make the most of it wherever you are. Be safe, and be gluttonous.

I'm thankful my tarded duty day is tomorrow, maintaining my sections record of landing on every loving long weekend since I've been here.

Today though. Today I feast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
Went to the NEX after duty section muster. It was almost empty because the nex sucks. I got a memory foam bath mat for 5 bux. 0630 mission success.

• Locked thread