Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003

LingcodKilla posted:

Just landed in Chicago! Oh boy boot!

Wake up! I know you're falling asleep right now!

I so do not envy the experience you are about to have. But I'll have a drink in your honor on Thanksgiving. And Christmas. And poo poo, I guess New Years too. Enjoy the snow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
We had a department event today and I actually have fun. I had fun in the Navy. Strange feeling.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003

Laranzu posted:

I'm sorry you have lost your mind. It's always sad when a shipmate goes insane.

But all we did was play flag football and eat burgers and dogs! And everyone brought their actual dogs, and at no point did a single person talk about work, evals, or any Navy bullshit. It was kind of cool.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003

Boon posted:

So an Admiral liked the challenge coin I designed (with the help of Sir Lucious?) so much that he's personally tasked me to develop one for the N3 Directorate because of course he did. Despite the source that immediately went to the bottom of my personal and professional priorities list and now he's apparently upset and wants it by Friday.

Anyway, I threw a rough draft together this morning and I'm wondering if anyone with any computer skills can work with me to draft a scalable, computerized version so that I can take it from rough concept drawing to full fledged digital product.

I'd be willing to send you a finished coin as well as some form of compensation.

Hey you designed it, I just did the vector trace. Send it my way again (sirlucius at gmail.com).

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003

Analogical posted:

Have you ever gotten a coin before? Our command doesn't have any coins I'm aware of and I've never heard of anyone getting one outside asking the Admiral a bullshit first question about when CTs will have opportunities to go to space (serious loving question. guy got EMI for being a jackass and embarrassing 800 people)

I've gotten one from General Nakasone, he uses poker chips.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
So it looks like the quarterdeck watch has pissed off enough departments that they're going back to it being staffed by those stuck in holding. This was pretty much the best news and now I can't use "gently caress duty days" as an excuse for getting out of the Navy. But seriously, gently caress duty days, they have no point at an intel command.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003

Angry Fish posted:

Every Navy thread, PneumaticBook has to make his every other post a "guys, guys guys...huehuehue! this POSTER is a shitbag! guys! this IDIOT sucks at life," shouted into the echo chamber. I'm kind of sorry for responding to it.

I just assumed he has PTSD or something.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003

Analogical posted:

South hasn't figured that out yet. We stand watch practically monthly and it makes no sense that the loving holdees don't do it since they do jack poo poo anyway for like three months and we get them weekly. The other chain doesn't even care if we worked mids, your rear end comes in for day shift with a two hour adjustment.

Stupidest poo poo. Reasoning for it is that we "don't act Navy enough" -CMC-that-came-from-the-fleet-and-isnt-and-has-never-worked-intel

They shake their heads at us like we're faggots for not appreciating Navy customs. If you want me to be a sailor then put me on a ship you stupid fucks.

We had a CMC like that from the air community. "This command isn't Navy enough" is utter bullshit. I've heard people say, "oh you don't go on a ship? You're not even in the real Navy." Is it really so bad that our community isn't completely infected with rule-thumping retards who have never had an original thought in their entire lives? I don't think I want to know what the real Navy is like, because almost everything I've heard and seen that comes out of it has been negative.

KetTarma posted:

i wish i could compress the thousand+ hours i've spent on duty writing down unchanging specs every hour, put it into a syringe, and inject it into you
Like this. If there's a way to automate something, you should automate it and eliminate the human error factor. But back in the day they didn't have those capabilities so I guess tradition dictates we do things the hard and stupid way.

Pandasmores posted:

gently caress
This is what I think of when I think of the "real" Navy.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
Also, let me tell you about all the warfare devices I have in my title, so you know who to go to if you need an expert.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003

Pandasmores posted:

Oh the butthurt is flowing among the people here that didn't pick up and wanted to. This is beautiful.

Every cycle my favorite thing is hearing about how much you enjoy watching the corpsman community suffer (I hope you picked up though)

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
I mean poo poo, I would be miserable too if I was an E3 for 5 years.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003

Pandasmores posted:

I did work for some places with stuff like that, but it wasn't a matter of losing individuality from it. It's not accompanied by a lot of the bullshit you're expected to do because of your placement, and if someone under you fucks up then the hammer comes down. In a regular job your underling fucks up and you don't have to stand by them. Some kid under me doesn't pass the PRT or fails room inspections or gets some hambeast out in town pregnant there is the possibility of an inflated sense responsibility as a supervisor to do something.

It's because we (as in the military) are supposed to be able to die together. It doesn't translate as well to a shore command/non combat zone, but then again who knows, maybe crazy civilian contractor is going to want to shoot up the Navy yard again. There's some baseline responsibility in there, even if it's just a tiny bit more than you'd have with a typical co-worker at the home depot.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
I like the new GBS, the previous version of GBS was basically just reddit comments.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
Wow dude, that's absolute bullshit. I was TDY for 2 weeks and I was told to move that bullet point up higher because they thought it looked good. What the gently caress about someone in DIRSUP whose entire job is not being home? I guess maybe it's for if you're at a training command for six months, but for your case that's complete crap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
Or reading the plan of the week to see who went to mast.

• Locked thread