Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Angry Fish posted:

What is the retention rate in the SWO community right now?

If you're talking about first pass retention for LT's at their MSR it's somewhere between 20% and 30%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

If you are in any way associated with Navy medicine I hope everything you love turns to ashes in your mouth and you die in a fire.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

ManMythLegend posted:

If you are in any way associated with Navy medicine I hope everything you love turns to ashes in your mouth and you die in a fire.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Hauldren Collider posted:

One of the ships is apparently an ocean-going tug. I am an ignorant civilian with absolutely no military/naval knowledge but does that mean what I think it means, namely that they have very little confidence in their ships to actually get from point a to point b? Or is that just standard practice?

Ocean going tugs can tow underwater sensors. This can be important depending on what you're looking for.

Edit: More specifically, ships that are built to tow underwater sensors are sometimes classified as ocean going tugs.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Yeah, a towed array is a sonar sensor that's pulled behind the ship; presumably they wanted to get a close listen to the other ship, since that's useful intel to have (... kind of, like ded said). Maybe other sensors on there as well, I dunno. You can't go too fast while you're towing it, though. What they did is kind of like being invited to the White House, and showing up wearing a backpack with a boom mic sticking out of it and an HD camera strapped to your head.

Speed isn't generally restricted just because an array is out*. The speed limitation comes in because sonar performance is significantly degraded at higher speeds.

Laranzu's boat speeding up was not becuase the chinese ship couldn't catch up with the array, it was because whatever data they collected in the process would be garbage.

* For surface ships at least. Not 100% sure on some of the sub arrays.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

ded posted:

All arrays are designed to have zero problems going up to flank speed. It would be really dumb not to, who knows when you need to make high speed evasive maneuvers? The quality of what you can hear however is full on poo poo due to how loud the water is rushing over the array + own ship noise.

Sure sure. I was saying performance as in the ultimate result of the sonar equation(s), of which background and self noise as a function of speed are a large part.

Edit: Not that I'm saying there's some ST in the corner running through sonar equation calculations, more I'm referencing the sonar equation as a mathematical expression of expected sonar performance given a set of conditions.

ded posted:

Depth isn't all that big of an issue, thermoclines 'help/hurt' but are nothing magical like they show in the movies. In fact those same thermoclines can help you hear really god drat far away due to convergence zones.

Yeah depth of array is 100% dependent on where environmentals put the layers, and in which one you are trying to find your target. Then it's all about speed and array scope to get there.

ManMythLegend fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Nov 13, 2014

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Yeah, I never found CZ's that tactically useful. They're so fickle with respect to the bottom depth and contour that reliably exploiting one while maintaining a screen or as cordon was just not going to happen.

More, it was knowing there was one out there modified my thought process on if the sub could hear us though because my going in assumption in every event was that their sonar was better, and they were better at using it then we were with ours.

Not that CZ's aren't worthwhile. We definitely take advantage of them a lot for stuff.

SPACE HOMOS posted:

Edit: Also ask me about JSM's MFTA adventure where we learn that the butt plug can hold the entire array with nothing on the drum!

lol. I was actually OOD when we lost our TACTAS on USS FIRST SHIP. That was what you call a "bad day".

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

SPACE HOMOS posted:

SHs got NAMs for giving the ship riders some sodas and STGs got toilet paper with letters of appreciation on them.

gently caress supply forever.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

STG's can be pretty weird. One of mine on my last ship didn't like "sandwhiches". Something about putting stuff between slices of bread just completely disgusted him.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

PneumonicBook posted:

Today was the first day it snowed in Great Lakes.

Have fun.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Holy :lol::lol:

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

ded posted:

Figures its nukes loving up.

poopkitty posted:

Standing by for heavy rolls. LOL

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

It's more the idea of fat loving boots crying about being fat at their A Schools.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

vulturesrow posted:

At the Academy minimum passing was 10:30. :smugdog:

Yeah. And it sucked.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Biking is the best. gently caress running the PRT.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

vulturesrow posted:

What's up fellow bike bros? :hfive:

:hfive:

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Also I passed my weigh-in because I could stretch for that extra half inch, get my height rounded up, and earn five more pounds. :btroll:

Yeah I tell people to always wear their shoes if they can get away with. Some people just think they're extra weight, but unless they're made of lead, your always going to make out in the end from the height.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

buttplug posted:

Because it's true, but I didn't think the specifics belonged on this form.

edit now that I've googled it: When I was getting my SWO pin I was on one of like 5 ships in the Navy that had this: http://www.defenseindustrydaily.com/mfta-the-us-navys-new-towed-array-for-naval-detection-04956/ and it was in CO's standing orders never to go above 15kts with the array out because "you could rupture it" because the thing is basically a giant rubber condom filled with magic liquid and some other fancy poo poo. I only remembered that because I literally had the standing orders memorized verbatim at one point. *shrugs*

I'm loling at the idea of rupturing an array by going fast. loving SWOs.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

ded posted:

A towed array with loving active sonar?

loving skimmers.

MFTA is actually pretty loving baller.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Boon posted:

Remember, he's not a SWO...

He's just an rear end in a top hat.

I'm more referring to whatever dipshit CO wrote those standing orders.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

buttplug posted:

He's in major command now...your community, not mine boi! :derp:

I am literally shocked that a risk averse, technically ignorant officer was promoted to major command in the SWO community!

ManMythLegend fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Nov 17, 2014

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

DustyNuts posted:

Averse. Sir.

poo poo. You got me.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

buttplug posted:

Why stick around then? Why didn't you put in a lat xfer package before your DH rides?

lol, I did actually. SWO community wouldn't release me when I was a DIVO. My year group got really hosed when it came to LAT XFERs because of the MSR waivers they went overboard on the year groups right before mine.

I stayed on because at the time it made sense financially. It's hard to turn down a free masters degree. Really hard.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

DinosaurWarfare posted:

Wouldn't you have gotten a free masters anyway with that phat post-9/11 GI bill?

No because I wouldn't have been eligible yet. Eligibility time for officers doesn't start until after the completion of their minimum service commitment following whatever bachelor's program the government paid for, USNA or ROTC.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

poopkitty posted:

Eligible YET. So yes.

Yes, I'm eligible now if that's what you mean.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Mr. Nice! posted:

I would have absolutely took DH tours to take early command. I think that's the only way that it would be worth it.

Not going to lie, that factored into my calculus at the time. I knew that I was in a pretty good position after my two DIVO tours, and that I was going to get a masters and JPME I knocked out ashore to set me up further.

I guess I'll let you guys know if I thought it was worth it in a few years.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

LordNad posted:

Is it like the what the USNS ships use? We (p-3 community) are just getting it in buoy format and it's pretty sick. Use to use the c4 buoys for CZ prosecution and couldn't ping if there were any whales around.

No.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

:negative:

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Mr. Nice! posted:

Just call me when you're a commodore and you need a good way to screw the birthday officer out of a grand for t-shirts that you use as a positive fitrep point for yourself.

You think I'm a big enough scrub that I would get a squadron instead of a cruiser? drat man, that's some cold poo poo.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

SPACE HOMOS posted:

I don't know poo poo about officer life or being in command, I just know cruisers got choice liberty ports over destroyers. But maybe that was the god loving fuckhead we had that declined thailand.

It's basically hookers, coke, and the lawlessness of international waters.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

That too.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Sir Lucius posted:

We had a CMC like that from the air community. "This command isn't Navy enough" is utter bullshit. I've heard people say, "oh you don't go on a ship? You're not even in the real Navy." Is it really so bad that our community isn't completely infected with rule-thumping retards who have never had an original thought in their entire lives? I don't think I want to know what the real Navy is like, because almost everything I've heard and seen that comes out of it has been negative.

The "Not the Real Navy" kind of poo poo can get blown overboard, however a lot of shore commands seem to forget that they exist solely to support the ships, subs, and squadrons that are out there doing whatever dumb poo poo the Navy told us to do. Let me tell you, there is nothing as loving infuriating as spending 24+ hours busting your and your guys' balls to try and do something, exhaust your capabilities, and then try to get ahold of a shore staff only to find out that they're gone for the day at 1430 or whatever.

If part of your duty day at an intel command involves being there to support RFI's from tactical units at all hours of the day, then it is absolutely not a bullshit requirement, and gently caress anyone for bitching about it.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

PneumonicBook posted:

:ohdear:

E6 evals are being debriefed and from what I'm hearing brag sheets were mostly ignored. Also this CO didn't want to hear about college classes/us maps/cool/etc unless you got a degree or certification from it.

This led to things like a dude who's getting his masters in a few weeks being told he'd been coasting.

Clearly the eval system is totally fine though.

As a relatively senior guy on here who has had to go through more ranking boards then I ever wanted I will give all of you some advice about evals, and that is the primary factor used to rank people is quality of work in your actual job with respect to how much face time you get with your primary ranking level*. It's not bake sales, or CPO 365, or whatever the gently caress.

It doesn't matter how many off duty PhD's you get, or how much hard work you do in a shop tucked in some corner of the ship, the only way to break out from your peers is to do moderate to high quality in-rate work that your primary ranker hears about in person not a brag sheet. That's it. That's the secret.

Ever wondered why that guy who's eval is full of PFA scores and bake sale participation got ranked above yours which was full of hard data on repairs and operations? I promise you, with 100% certainty, that it was because whatever actual work that guy did in rate got briefed to his primary ranker more then yours did. The written body of an eval is almost certainly created after the rankings are decided, and so that dude who got ranked higher just gets a lot of fluff built in to fill it out and justify whatever ranking he got a priori.

I write this to tell you that, like most things in the Navy, the only person that can take care of you is you. If you honestly feel that you do better work then your peers then all you have to do is figure out who your primary ranker is and be up in their buisness about what you're doing. Make sure they understand that you are busy keeping them out of trouble and you will be rewarded. If you don't want to volunteer for bake sales or MWR or whatever, then don't. Just be more vocal about the hard work you already do.

*: What I mean by primary ranking level is whichever level of ranking board really carries the most weight onboard. If your CoC just goes with the chief's mess rankings then it's your chiefs, if they just go along with the DH's then it's your DH, if it's the XO's ranking then it's him, etc.

Edit: As an addendum, I will add that if your chiefs are your primary rankers I feel bad for you because in general they suck really bad at it. In fact they are absolutely terrible at it.

ManMythLegend fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Nov 20, 2014

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Yeah, signatures are stupid.

V/r
LT MML
Billet, Command
SIPR: MML@SIPR.COM

That's it. If I want them to have my number I will give it to them.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

buttplug posted:

What loving command is that that *requires* that. I have never, ever seen a command anywhere encourage such absurd email signatures. The closest thing to that kind of toolbaggery that I've seen is FLTCYBERCOM(FCC)/C10F which has a specific format for their signature blocks and for whatever reason (as if anybody cares) forces now-civilian retired Navy to sign their emails with their rank (ret) like it actually holds any weight.

SWOS did. Even for students. They loving checked... :shepicide:

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

buttplug posted:

Sir Lucius and I work at the same command:gay: (2300+ people) and I can tell you that we do not exist to support unit or squadron-level assets *parts* of the command are dedicated to exactly that, but the command as a whole is not. We're talking legitimate highest-priority national-level missions in MOST instances. Not an exaggeration. We (as in our command) is anomalous in that regard, but not every shore station in the Navy lives and breathes to support the Fleet (regardless of whatever bullshit political Naval spin CAPT Wants-a-star tries to put on his mission). There is more to the DoD than that, especially when the majority of our Navy isn't in 5th FLT lobbing Tomahawks into Syria, but doing drift ops/box ops in the middle of nowhere.

And while I fully empathize the rear end-pain and frustration of being at an operational unit and not being able to get a hold of Person X at Shore Command Y because it's 1530 EST (but o'dark thirty in your floating prison) and they're gone for the day, but that's the exception not the norm. That's why shore duty is there: to recharge your batteries. If the mission was legitimately that important, somebody'd be on a duty phone at the very least.

If a ship at sea is calling a command, an office code at a command, for assistance the odds are extremely high that that command exists to support a deployable asset in some fashion.

Trust me, I am well aware of shore commands existing to recharge batteries after sea duty. But standing 10+ section duty to respond to assistance requests from deployable units is not really an onerous or arduous tasking.

So I reiterate, if you are at a shore command that assists deployable assets, then gently caress you for bitching about having to do your job.

Edit: this isn't directed at you specifically, it's at people who bitch about having to do their actual jobs.

ManMythLegend fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Nov 20, 2014

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

PneumonicBook posted:

I agree with most of what you said as someone who's collected plenty of EP's (on a ship). That being said, as an instructor at ET/FC 'A' with a full load of classes (and a whole bunch of absolutely ridiculous rules that make filling our classes with instructors especially challenging) there is literally no way to stand out in that way unless you come to the command at the right time and are chosen as the next lpo/student coordinator/whatever. Our entire day is spent instructing, period, full stop. Compare that to Promar or ATT. Promar instructors have one class on deck every three weeks or so. ATT has enough manning to have two instructors per class, which lets the other instructor go faff about under a dude's desk or whatever. I suppose we're supposed to make up neato collaterals or something to get face time. A funny thing said to me at my last eval debrief was that people can't get ranked by their primary duty. Everyone is exactly as good at instructing as everyone else which is the most loving lolol thing I've ever heard. There are ways to directly measure the effectiveness of an instructor, the command chooses not to though and keeps doing it the "Navy" way though, which automatically screws our command over.

Also I was more commenting on the immense disconnect we have with our (even immediate) CoC. Like how do you not know what your sailors are doing? We do CDBs and poo poo constantly.

I imagine our Chiefs are our primary rankers, except there's a million of them spread out between all of CSCSU and it probably becomes a pissing match with seniority overruling anything else. Actually I'm pretty sure that's exactly what happens judging by all of the extra bullshit that gets thrown our buildings way because "A senior chief threw his star down".

This command is super hosed, the eval thing is just one part of it.

Anyway, there's my enlisted.txt for the month.
This command is completely hosed, the eval thing is just one part of it.

Yeah, for a sprawling shore command like a school house it's got to be incredibly tough to break out. And they're sort of right about ranking everyone based on their actual job because I doubt you guys are collecting data that would allow differentiation between instructors. In that case I would say just being visibile in anyway you can is the best way to "break out".

Edit: I went back and reread your post and lol that they are not collecting the data that would help. Stupid and terrible, that's the NETC way!

ManMythLegend fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Nov 20, 2014

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Oh what's this? The entire clinic is shut down today for a "command function"? That must be nice to just say, "gently caress it command picnic is top priority. gently caress our customers an I right?"

For fucks sake, at least pretend like you give a poo poo and use the old "command training" excuse so it at least looks like you might actually be pretending to be in the loving Navy for once in your worthless lives.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Pandasmores posted:

Edit: Also lol, some clinics are so small like in my command that when providers are forced to deal in command involvement we can have gaps in the schedule and it's effectively like we are closed. So sorry MML, often times we have no power even if we want to just stay at work rather than seeing a bunch of rear end holes at a picnic.

If a clinic is so tiny that they have to completely shut down to have a command picnic (which this one is not), then perhaps they should schedule said picnic for after working hours and not at loving 1230 with a sign up saying they're done for the rest of the day.

I mean I know that might be a little too much to ask.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Analogical posted:

1MGUR JLAW Analyst

• Locked thread