Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

The key to living on a ship is get used to the smell, hide your poop in the angle irons, and never wash your clothes. Definitely eat chips and candy in your rack too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Mr. Nice! posted:

Hekk - for seasickness: get dramamine or whatever you prefer and start taking it the day before you get underway. Whenever you're seasick go topside and look at the horizon.

LOL if you think he is going to get sea sick on an LHD.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Well I hope he eats rice and eggs for breakfast on his first underway then.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Octopode posted:

He said he'll be on an LPD, not an LHD. It's a significantly rougher experience in any real sea state.

Still not a small boy.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

loving stop malingering you whiny bitch

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

replace the clothes will ill fitted coveralls and the m4 clone with a m14 set up to shoot shotline.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Its not that speed dictates how deep the array is on a surface ship as we can always pay more line out. Its the fact that water travelling over the array causes noise to blanket out anything quiet. Which makes having the array out during plane guard duty really cool and something you should definitely do if you want to annoy all the stgs as for some magical reason the array only goes out at night.

Edit: Also ask me about JSM's MFTA adventure where we learn that the butt plug can hold the entire array with nothing on the drum!

I think sonar owns bones and is under appreciated in the surface fleet but generally STGs are retarded and useless. This doesn't help that officers and non sonar guys don't understand the concept that it takes time for sound to travel or how range predictions are.... predictions.

SPACE HOMOS fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Nov 13, 2014

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

ded posted:

When I was doing that poo poo (SS not STG) I could get a 10 second range that would be within 500 yards or so using a simple formula, about 90% of the time. Officers on my boat generally had a decent grasp of how sonar worked, but sometimes they would go nuts over random poo poo (like boing fish) if they were JOs standing OOD.

Before an exercise we'd drop an XBT and then run predictions and it would say we'd have a CZ out to 70kyds. So then the TAO in combat would get mad about us not seeing contacts at that range. Plus STGs have a bad habit of not knowing how to operate the hull mounted sonar (besdies b-scans) or evaluating contacts. I've seen people not know how to tell the difference between mounts or contacts and if surface contacts are opening/closing on A-scans. Not knowing how to use doppler, a-scans, or ping audio (there is a real big difference in the way a ping sounds off metal vs dirt) to tell if a contact is valid or not. Plus with the new stuff people would just set it to replay the last 15 pings at 10x and try to guess what was real that way. In general they rather bitch and moan declaring gently caress the navy then actually taking 30 minutes to learn how to do their job.

orange juche posted:

Bet that was a pants-making GBS threads moment.

I noticed we stopped receiving towed array data, which wasn't uncommon for the test platform equipment to crash, so I restarted it. Noticed in the equipment room that data feeds were down and decided to check array. When I entered the space I looked at the wench and was like okay and started to leave but my brain went "wait a second, something is missing" so I did a double take and saw the tow cable was loving missing. Called the bridge told them to slow to 5 knots and they responded "lol this is a prank gently caress you". Ran to combat and told the TAO, ran to chief berthing and woke up stgc up. I was told later that my face was ghostly pale while running around trying to tell people what was going on.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

ded posted:

Did you ever try to explain to them how the stars must properly align for a cz (let alone a 2x or 3x cz) to work out?

We found the Nimitz while doing an exercise against them on a 3x cz. It was an incredible demonstration on how when that poo poo works it's awesome.

Actually over the marianas trench in the summer we'd get cz pretty often, it was just that it would be in a slim window and getting the ship to maintain a course so that the contact was always in that window is difficult.

As for telling an officer how it worked, anytime I brought this up to our divo and lpo they'd say don't worry about it just put colorful pictures in a power point. Pretty sure I was told to shut up multiple times by our weps officer also.

Edit: I guess I should say CZ while using active sonar. We did use our towed array but not as often and getting CZ on that is probably a lot harder. Thinking back every sonar exercise we did was mostly pinging away for a straight week and running in circles.

Once while on a early morning watch I saw a thing I had never seen before on of our newer displays. It was a fast updating waterfall display that connected to a tiny array around the middle of the ship - measured upper MF to HF ranges (we could see dolphins feeding and talking on this). So I am sitting there watching this man-made HF pulse and thinking wtf so I took a screenshot. Later when the ship rider stgcs decided to wake up he flipped a wig and yelled at me for not waking him up to see it. In my defense the exercise ended and we had stopped going active.

SPACE HOMOS fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Nov 13, 2014

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

poopkitty posted:

LOL STGs talking greek. All of the non-STGs/CIC types have checked out.

Homos, that STGC is a CMC now, yes? For every tail you gently caress up as an STG you get a star.

We had some divers come on board to get the tail up and it ended up being just CA div pulling it by hand. SHs got NAMs for giving the ship riders some sodas and STGs got toilet paper with letters of appreciation on them.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

This is true. The A-school in point loma is full of stinky retards. I knew a guy who ate nothing but chef boyardee and smoked nonstop, his room smelt so loving bad. Our CA2 WCS used to play video games nonstop in nixie and piss out of the nixie tubes.

Which skid? On the ship I was on we owned the skid below the deep mag (on a ddg). I don't know why but the drainage thing, I forgot the name of it, used to fill up and overflow all the time. We assumed there was a leak in the ECW system somewhere.

SPACE HOMOS fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Nov 14, 2014

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Prepare for the first day to be a blur and then get lots of shots.

You guys are forgetting they got rid of all the old "ships" and now have those all inclusive buildings where the bay, galley, and class rooms are all in the same building. Meaning he won't have to march in the cold that much.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

I don't remember the mfta having an active componenet, but that was prior to 2008 where that articles claims they went into production.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Mr. Nice! posted:

Just call me when you're a commodore and you need a good way to screw the birthday officer out of a grand for t-shirts that you use as a positive fitrep point for yourself.

Holy LOLy

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

I don't know poo poo about officer life or being in command, I just know cruisers got choice liberty ports over destroyers. But maybe that was the god loving fuckhead we had that declined thailand.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

A bitching sailor is a happy sailor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

I just use respectfully for everything. V/R is retarded and don't use shorthand.

• Locked thread