Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

Wingnut Ninja posted:

What the gently caress. Hold on, I need to go yell at our ITs.

There was a NAVNETCOM bulletin a while ago about it. Yell at your ITs but don't be surprised when they have no idea what you're talking about. Also since the "standard image" changed to Windows 7 and still isn't fully deployed don't be surprised when they make up some reason why it's not deployed for you.

Oh and in this particular case it's not actually NMCI's fault, I think they certified it quite a while ago.

I thought where I came from was pretty hosed up, but man the Navy is leaps and bounds ahead in that regard (being hosed up, that is).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

Christoff posted:

Just make sure you take it preemptively.

Christoff posted:

Christoff posted:

Christoff posted:

Christoff posted:

I don't get seasick, but I've had plenty of friends that do. Most of the ones that got over it really quickly were the ones that followed doc's instructions and started taking whatever it was they were given about a day or two before getting underway.

Once you are seasick there are some ways to deal with it: Don't drink coffee and don't smoke cigarettes being a big part of that. Some people find having a solid reference point (the horizon) helps. Some like ginger root or ginger candies. It all comes down to you.

As a general tip for being underway I suggest figuring out whatever the ship's store (if it has one) carries in advance. Anything that sounds like it can be used as currency, stock up on some at Costco and give sell it to your guys/the squids. You can start out selling it lower than the ship's store, and then crank the price when the ship's store runs out.

Works great for cigarettes, dip, energy drinks, and poo poo like pop-tarts and other garbage that people think they can live without. Or they underestimate how much they should bring.

Being underway as the luggage owns bones if you don't get seasick or you acclimate. Having a corpsman insert the silver bullet does not, from what I hear.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

If you DO forget your sperm-skis absolutely do not shower barefoot. That is loving disgusting and you WILL get some kind of god-awful funk that's been accumulating just waiting for some dipshit to go in with naked feet. It doesn't matter if you stripped the bottom of the shower with acid. It survives.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

germskr posted:

Sorry to hear, but honestly some of the blame lies with you. Walking around for house hunting when you knew you had a sprained ankle only exacerbated the condition when you should have been resting it/gone and bought an Ace bandage at the NEX (they do wonders). Yes, unfortunately a lot of people limp around in the Navy (either legitimate or fake) so it's not like a guy coming in with pieces of a M2HB receiver and brass shrapnel embedded in his leg and getting first rate care, but the Ace bandage you should have bought would have done a lot to alleviate the swelling and give support if you had to be on your feet walking around. I'm not gonna sugar coat- you're a big-boy/girl and we all know how inadequate Naval medicine can be so if you were expecting them to give you a compress/support bandage, X-ray, rainbows and unicorns etc. the first go-around you thought wrong even though that's their job.

Typically speaking, if it's broken you won't be able to bear weight on it or it should be excruciating pain, so while I'm not siding with medical here I can understand why an X-ray was not at the top of their list. As people here have said before, document everything and if it continues to bother you after it's "healed", get documentation and collect that disability. Remember, you're just another number to the service so be proactive about your own health because no amount of money they give me after I get out is worth a broken body.

lmao

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

ManMythLegend posted:

gently caress supply forever.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

Nick Soapdish posted:

They actually give those contract, rent-a-cops ammo? I thought they were like Barney Fifes.

The ones at NBK Bangor definitely have guns. No idea if they're real or loaded, but they have them.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

Analogical posted:

What's the process like for making coins? A while ago a friend of mine and I were thinking about making some for general use

"Blue Falcon of the Quarter"

They're expensive as gently caress if you're getting a limited quantity made. If you can get someone in supply dumb enough to order them for you, though, they're free. Good luck. Coins are supposed to be on lock-down since every dipshit CMC and commodore thinks they should have some to give out.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

the fouo/pii/u-nnpi warnings people attach to poo poo are my favorite dumb bullshit in a signature block

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

bengy81 posted:

WAY TO OUT-GAY THE AF THREAD!!!!!!!

not possible

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

Hekk posted:

I was just asking about what lower enlisted sailors have to live like because I've see the berthing areas and they don't get much space.

Answer:

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

Aleksi is spot on with the inferences thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

Sir Lucius posted:

Or reading the plan of the week to see who went to mast.

the only useful information in there

• Locked thread