Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Hekk - for seasickness: get dramamine or whatever you prefer and start taking it the day before you get underway. Whenever you're seasick go topside and look at the horizon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Enlisting in the navy was the mistake.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Pepsi-Tan posted:

Hope you guys had a fine day of collecting as much free food as possible

I spent most of the day scraping up haze grey paint. I haven't been in for a year and a half.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Laranzu posted:

The More you Know! I always thought it was for line/winch stress reasons. Either way they didn't want to catch up.

It's really just a matter of physics. The faster you go the higher the stuff you're dragging is going to be in the water. Can't hear properly if you're not at the right depth.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I ran under 10:30 once in my entire time in the navy. I did pass a prt with pneumonia one time, though, when I was in college. loving couldn't breathe when I was through and got chewed the gently caress out by the ER doctor for running in cold weather with a lung full of fluid. Thought my score sucked, but the front office was happy I passed and didn't give a gently caress beyond that point.

I biked my last few ones and tore that poo poo up.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I would have absolutely took DH tours to take early command. I think that's the only way that it would be worth it.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

ManMythLegend posted:

Not going to lie, that factored into my calculus at the time. I knew that I was in a pretty good position after my two DIVO tours, and that I was going to get a masters and JPME I knocked out ashore to set me up further.

I guess I'll let you guys know if I thought it was worth it in a few years.

You just said "factored into my calculus." You'll do fine in 16 years when you get your first star.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Just call me when you're a commodore and you need a good way to screw the birthday officer out of a grand for t-shirts that you use as a positive fitrep point for yourself.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

SPACE HOMOS posted:

I don't know poo poo about officer life or being in command, I just know cruisers got choice liberty ports over destroyers. But maybe that was the god loving fuckhead we had that declined thailand.

I got to deal with him periodically because he was XO and then CO of a cruiser in Hawaii.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

buttplug posted:

I say "mental calculus" all the time...

If that statement alone isn't damning enough :v:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I can't find my SWO pin and I'm a little sad. It might have gotten thrown away.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

It was personalized. That's why it sucks. I mean, if I still had it, it would just be in a drawer in my bedroom with my coins and other small poo poo I kept, but I still wish I had it.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

vulturesrow posted:

drat, that really is a kick in the balls. I hope you find it man.

It sucks, but I'm not heartbroken.

Pandasmores posted:

In other news, apparently my BAH request that has been sitting around for nearly five months is going to sit around some more because people are magically leaving the barracks at a faster rate than they're being replaced, but my chit along with the chits of 2 higher enlisted dudes are still waiting to get signed. The investigation into someone borrowing money from everyone she can get her rank and fingers around is still "going on", which the last time we heard that it was swept under the rug until someone tore the rug up and brought it up again after a potluck was involved. With the holidays, I doubt anything will happen, while the lower enlisted that gave money are keeping quiet because this is the nature of the Navy, among other shady poo poo that happens but no one ever says a drat thing.

Have you started going above people's heads? If not, now is the time. Go to your LPO, then your LCPO, then your divo, dept head, xo, and CO until you get this poo poo sorted. It is completely unacceptable to loving sit on a god drat chit for months on end.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I signed all of my emails to senior people with:

Sincerely,
Rank Name

because that's what the navy actually calls for in the social use and protocol handbook. I'd always just say Thanks! or something like that to anyone junior or my peers.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

While I was in school the marine major insisted I have a signature block.

Stultus Maximus posted:

lol you read that poo poo

Anyway, I go with
V/R
rank name
billet command

for everything because gently caress making different signatures for different occasions.

Dude that book is handy. How else are you going to know how to properly invite the president to your wedding? My knowledge of that pub, though, blew some people away on my SWO board because some had never heard of it. 1710.7A has everything you'll ever need.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

You can go to FRG meetings and just talk relentless poo poo all the time.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

The best announcements for advancement is always in a liberty port late at night with a drunk captain on the 1MC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Basically yeah, you are loving stupid to not take extra money when you're not really going to get any actual responsibility added. At worst you're just a higher paid E-3.

These past few pages have been really loving terrible, though.

• Locked thread