Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

DustyNuts posted:

I was shoveling snow with another recruit near some old fuckin drill hall on a relatively sunny winter day. He was shoveling the sidewalk leading to one of the side doors, and was standing right under the edge of the roof. Those buildings had curved roofs, and a lot of snow had built up over the previous week. The timing was perfect, and a huge slab of snow slid off the roof and dropped right on top of this dude, knocking him on his rear end and almost completely burying him. That ruled.

That was the harshest winter of my life (I'm from San Diego). We ran Battle Stations in early January on icy streets. This was when divisions had to actually run from one place to the next all over RTC. One recruit slipped and severely busted his ankle. Whoops! Medical hold for a month+ in the broke division.

Anyway, if you can't avoid a collateral job, Mail PO is the way to go. Laundry PO was good stuff too - you'd get to leave the building a lot. Not sure how that's changed over the years. Being one of the "dirty dozen" (head/shower cleaning crew) was also good in a way, the RDCs tended to treat them better because they had a lovely job.

Some of my boot-rear end students the other day were talking about what ship stairs and ladders were really like because of their experience at battlestations :lol:
I mean I never went through their disney ride bullshit and I'm sure the navy made the accurate as gently caress but hearing people who will never set foot on a ship talk about what ships are really like based on a not-real-ship makes me laugh until I'm dead.

In other news, posting from beyond the graaaave

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
What actually happens? There were some dudes dumb enough to raise their hands but I don't remember anything about them. Is it true they forgive you or do you get kicked the gently caress out?

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Zotix posted:

So I signed for AECF Reserves today. Please tell me I didn't make a huge mistake.

lol

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
Best sleep of my life on the boat was periscope depth in a tropical storm. Strap in and get rocked to sleep like a baby. Then wake up to the sound of half the ship vomiting in every bag or bucket they could find.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

We were encouraged to lie as far back as 06 and I'm pretty sure it was happening even earlier. They said something along the lines of "If you fail pushups or situps you are being buddy hosed".

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
When I was a CFL my department had a 100% pass rate. This is obviously because I was such a motivator and everyone was in shape and on point. The cycle after I got out our department had 10 or so failures which is clearly an indication of my successor's lack of leadership in the area of fitness.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
We always had the folks do the sauna and seaweed wrap thing to try and pass the tape but all that happened was their bodies were sweaty as gently caress and I had to touch them to measure. Also one time there was a blood drive and people would give blood and come right to weigh in. As a civilian I'm fat as gently caress now but jesus it's not that hard to maintain standards and I could totally get back to passing poo poo in a few months.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
:catstare:

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
The signature poo poo carries over to the real world. Retired Chiefs all like
CTNC (ret)
And then all their certs
Plus phone numbers
Then the privacy act statement

It's so annoying.

I usually just do

-Sandwiches

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
I hope so because

Analogical posted:

1MGUR JLAW Analyst

Has me losing my poo poo

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

quote:

From Chief of Naval Personnel Public Affairs:

This morning we inadvertently released the Fall advancement results ahead of our planned release schedule.

We will push command advancements this morning via BOL to COs, XOs and CMCs. In spite of this error, we still want to provide command triads an opportunity to notify their Sailors of the results.

We regret the inconvenience and the break from the announced timeline. (N32)

Please please please don't look at those results, your command would be very sad if they weren't the ones to break the happy news.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Null Integer posted:

Don't leave your towel out, or don't be that guy where someone wants to jack off in your towel...

Speaking of which, FTSN Shitforbrains once had his coffee mug passed around FCML head in which an unknown amount of people contributed samples to it... Never saw that mug again....

So just toss that soaking wet towel in your rack! That won't backfire at all.

You gotta hang your towel somewhere on your rack so it doesn't get nasty and then some shitbird jizzes all up in but that's life in the navy. My first day on the boat someone stole my shoelaces so I had to use the little red pieces of string we used to secure the TLD to our beltloops. People steal poo poo. People jizz in poo poo.

Get out and never look back.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
lol just get out dude

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
just :getout:

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Null Integer posted:

So, I may be looking at being Submarine DQ'd due to medical issues, and need to start investigating possible rates. Any suggestions?

CTN. Top secret clearance, CYBER WARRIOR poo poo, and... uh... sexiness? I was sub disqual'd, crossed CTN, had a nice shore duty, got out, and am currently making fat contractor stacks. I'm actually an instructor at the a-school if you have any questions. There are several other ctn goons who are either instructors or actual rate dudes who can help as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
We've got a bunch of coner converts in school right now and a surprising number of chiefs crossing as well. Mostly FT and ST are making the switch. All the MMs that try get dropped pretty early. Also if you aren't a first yet advancement is stupid high because most CTNs do one enlistment and get out. This last cycle the chief advancement was 63%, with similar numbers for first and 100% for second. poo poo is cray.

• Locked thread