Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Pandasmores posted:

God drat, for my HM3 to take OCONUS leave to Canada he needs our COs thumbs up. For him to have left Sicily and head to Scotland he just needed his department head's nod. Poor dude, America bores the hell out of him. Last time he asked to go on Leave to some places he had visited before, everyone just sat on it asking him a million questions about why he was going and he had to cancel it after several months of waiting because the tickets got expensive. Not like everything is going to fall apart without him.

This was actually a serious factor in my decision to get out of the Navy. I spent two tours overseas, and did as much travelling as I could, but the hassle to do it was pretty ridiculous, some times. When I finally got back to the US and tried to take leave to go on vacation overseas, my chain of command had 0 working knowledge of the process like a command in Italy did, and that made it virtually impossible to use my leave the way I wanted to, and my ticket price window breezed by while we were still loving around with the country clearance poo poo. The worst part of that was that my old command had let me run the requests thru APACS myself - I did trips to Israel and South Africa. These fuckers had me go through some Ensign who had no idea what she was doing. Anyway, the biggest pro- argument the Navy always had retention-wise for me was 30 days of paid leave, but if you expect me to forgo actual vacations and fritter it away a nickle and a dime at a time, the floor falls right out of that argument.

Also, while I was going through that, had to explain what the gently caress Machu Picchu is to a series of grown men.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

theAcidQueen posted:

Get hosed, Navy Medicine.

You force me to hobble on a sprained ankle for 2 WEEKS while you pretend that i'm limping all over the ship for no goddamn reason, then wait until i'm brought back from the emergency room on crutches before you ask me

"Well, you can't be on crutches forever, when are you coming back"?

I'm done.

I literally hope I fail this PRT, AND the next one, and finally get my discharge papers. There has to be life beyond the Navy, there has to be.

Get lots of documentation and make the VA pay you for your service-connected disability. Your sprained ankle, which will definitely come back to haunt you as an old person, will also be worth beer money from the VA every month forever.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

SPACE HOMOS posted:

replace the clothes will ill fitted coveralls and the m4 clone with a m14 set up to shoot shotline.

and just the sliiiighhhtttest bit of gastrointestinal discomfort, just a hint of rumbly in the tumbly, that lasts for 7 straight months.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Angry Fish posted:

:iiam:

I just got my prospective rating back, and they're throwing permanent retirement at me for a problem that should have been rated TDRL. The lawyer essentially told me to sign that bitch right now, but the QA process might catch it (and if it doesn't, praise baby jesus).

If everything clears, I'll have forever-TricareRetired, forever-Dental, forever-head-to-toe-no-copay, forever-Gym, and forever-50%basepay after only 10 years. I'm okay with that.

take the money and run

I was expecting 30 tdrl and they showed me 70 lmao i snatched my pen out of my pocket so fuckin fast

Every other day I ride my beard to the free gym and shake my head at all these suckers with bad haircuts and shaving bumps

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

SpaceJustice posted:

What is TDRL?

Temporary Disability Retirement List

It's medical retirement, but you have to be re-evaluated by military doctors at some point, because the severity or impact of the medical condition that rendered you unfit for military service may improve or worsen.

The other is PDRL. Obviously the "P" stands for "Permanent." That's for when they don't expect the severity or impact of the medical condition rendering you unfit for service will not change.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Angry Fish posted:

I signed, but then there is that 30 + 90 days of bureaucratic mess I potentially have to wait for before I get my discharge orders cut.

This actually happened really fast for me, so get your poo poo together. Your retirement date is less than 90 days from the day your signature hits their desk.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Angry Fish posted:

My wife just joked that if her job eliminates her team's product (and by extension, her and a hundred well-paying e.e. jobs), she'll join the Navy.

:suicide:

being a dependapotamus sounds dope tho

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Angry Fish posted:

I'm really proud that it took me half a minute to figure out just what the gently caress FRG meant, and that I never ever had anything to do with the family readiness group and their weird "I am[married to] the CMC," beady-eyed politicking.

I spent my entire military career childless and unmarried, resulting in my leaving the service with like 20k in cash lmao at anyone with dependents

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
I realize I'm late, but I just want to tell that crybaby corpsman that making e-6 before I got out for no reason other than I didn't have to sweep anymore and like an extra 500 bucks my last paycheck was the best thing ever lol shut the gently caress up and study for your exam you god drat pussy

• Locked thread