Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Bozza posted:

Greetings Scottish posters (and Pissflaps), small aside from the political death of Labour in the north... I have applied for a job in Glasgow, which I run a reasonable shot of getting. This obviously means moving to Glasgow from Reading, probably in the new year.

Are there many Glasgow based goons who'd be up for letting a sassenach bastard like me buy them a pint? I'm probably going to end up living around the Queens Park / Shawlands area.

If ever you're in Westminster, you can buy me one before you leave

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
I live in Shawlands Bozza, you can buy me a pint and I'll tell you which streets to avoid.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
All of them. All of the streets in Queens Park and Shawlands are to be avoided.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Gonzo McFee posted:

All of them. All of the streets in Queens Park and Shawlands are to be avoided.

I've been to Queens Park and it wasn't terrible. I've lived in worse places.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
it has both leafy posh bits and the worst slums, right next to each other.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

keep punching joe posted:

it has both leafy posh bits and the worst slums, right next to each other.

Aye, it's really weird. Like, you're never more than two streets away from a depressing shitehole.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
You can say that about most of Scotland tbf

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Gonzo McFee posted:

Aye, it's really weird. Like, you're never more than two streets away from a depressing shitehole.

That's a relief. When I go to an area that looks nice and see lots of Pakistanis, and someone says that area is poo poo, I draw a logical conclusion - and not one about the area. I must just not have seen the lovely bits of Queens Park.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

Burqa King posted:

You can say that about most of Scotland Britain tbf

Fixed

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Jedit posted:

That's a relief. When I go to an area that looks nice and see lots of Pakistanis, and someone says that area is poo poo, I draw a logical conclusion - and not one about the area. I must just not have seen the lovely bits of Queens Park.

It's a mix of both that logical conclusion and the other one. Racists are saying it's poo poo because of immigrants, it's actually poo poo because the landlords in that area are terrible exploitative people who couldn't give a poo poo about the condition of their properties.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
I think it was oliver letwin in Julian Barnes's magnificent 90s column Letters from London who mentioned while canvassing that houses with tidy front gardens belonged to Tory voters. Hard to know whether that's correlation or causation, but I suspect it's both ..

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
The lovely bits of Queens Park are lovely because some areas are actual slums, with terrible landlords who do not maintain the property. There are also a couple of streets where you are highly likely to experience rat and cockroach infestations. It's generally a safe and friendly area, certainly has more of a community feeling than anywhere else in Glasgow that I have lived. You just have to keep your wits about you for muggers.

keep punching joe fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Nov 4, 2014

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

If you're moving to Glasgow it should be the Wallace Street flats or nowt.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
I wouldn't be surprised to learn the landlords were moonlighting as muggers. loving parasitic bastards imo

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Burqa King posted:

I think it was oliver letwin in Julian Barnes's magnificent 90s column Letters from London who mentioned while canvassing that houses with tidy front gardens belonged to Tory voters. Hard to know whether that's correlation or causation, but I suspect it's both ..

If you own your home in London and it has a front garden, odds are good you're rich enough to vote Tory with a straight face.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

twoot posted:

If you're moving to Glasgow it should be the Wallace Street flats or nowt.

They're always weirdly cheap for properties so close to the city center and with such high Council Tax.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/owners-negative-equity-trap-after-3632693

Ah.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SG5cbUQwmnk

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
I almost fell into the trap of moving to Wallace Street nearly a decade ago. Thankfully the rent was still ridiculously high as they were trying to pull in Yuppies, and I chose Garnethill instead.

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

"I'm a really useful engine!"

I live in Shawlands Bozza, you can buy me a pint and I'll tell you which streets to avoid.

No bother, my mate lives round that way too so I've been to the area before. It seemed nice enough to be honest but some local knowledge does help, but I'm not some country bumpkin that's gonna get mugged on his first night.

I should know within a month or so. I am always happy to buy a fellow goon a pint!

Tiran Dirth
Feb 6, 2014

Gonzo McFee posted:

They're always weirdly cheap for properties so close to the city center and with such high Council Tax.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/owners-negative-equity-trap-after-3632693

Ah.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SG5cbUQwmnk

Some friends of mine bought a house a couple of years back and had problems getting the mortgage approved, when they tried applying again and omitted their year in Wallace street from the previous addresses it went through without issue. Hardly concrete proof of anything, but still, I'd advise avoiding those blocks.
That said, there are some good places around there that are cheap enough and have great access to the city. I have fond memories of my 3 years in Carnoustie street.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Another crazy poll today from Ipsos MORI on Holyrood voting intention.

If the Holyrood 2016 election was held tomorrow.

https://www.ipsos-mori.com/researchpublications/researcharchive/3472/SNP-increases-lead-in-voting-intention-for-Scottish-Parliament.aspx

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Look that that tiny bit of blue down there.

Tory scum!

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Is the SNP's huge support a combination of being the only semi-left party and a desire for independence, or only the former?

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

Badger of Basra posted:

Is the SNP's huge support a combination of being the only semi-left party and a desire for independence, or only the former?

Bit of both and it varies by region. The new joiners are independence-driven, but plenty people vote SNP who also voted No (indeed the SNP's traditional heartlands in the North-East were less for it than the national average). Those people broadly speaking either support increased Devo and see the SNP as the most likely party to try and deliver some or, yes, simply think that left-wing policies are better served that way without being pro-indy. In places like Dundee and Glasgow that voted Yes it's a mix of independence and finally giving up on the Red Tories: for a lot of people in the West in particular voting Labour has almost been a hereditary trait for generations. The gap should come down soon though - Labour's at a low ebb with resignations and internal infighting so loud that it's impossible not to report it, and assuming they get their poo poo together the polls should narrow. I wouldn't expect a flat out SNP majority again.

e: the way that the 'Vow' was immediately tied to EVEL and has basically disappeared off the Westminister agenda also has helped. The sheer openness of the change of heart has pissed off a lot of people.

Obliterati fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Nov 4, 2014

Acaila
Jan 2, 2011

And thousands of folk are biting their lips and trying not to say "We told you so" too loud.

Incidentally, on the front gardens, that's the sort of canvassing this country bumpkin is used to. Nice front garden doesn't equal Tory, because everyone has one and nobody's ever a Tory. The joys of rural Scotland! Moving to the city with all these tenement stairs was quite a shock to the system during the referendum campaign.

Speaking of campaigning, I desperately want to go up to the Northern Isles and try and oust those Lib Dems.

kapparomeo
Apr 19, 2011

Some say his extreme-right links are clearly known, even in the fascist capitalist imperialist Murdochist press...

quote:

e: the way that the 'Vow' was immediately tied to EVEL and has basically disappeared off the Westminister agenda also has helped

This genuinely puzzles me. In what way has it 'disappeared off the agenda'? The Smith Commission is in the public consultative stage, and the leaders of the political parties have all guaranteed a Scotland Bill to read in parliament in January. I know that the Wings Over Scotland crowd have been shrieking for Devomax NOW since the referendum was barely 48 hours done but seriously, what else are people expecting?

kapparomeo fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Nov 4, 2014

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

kapparomeo posted:

This genuinely puzzles me. In what way has it 'disappeared off the agenda'? The Smith Commission is in the public consultative stage, and the leaders of the political parties have all guaranteed a Scotland Bill to read in parliament in January. I know that the Wings Over Scotland crowd have been shrieking for devomax since the referendum was barely 48 hours done but seriously, what else are people expecting?

Well for a start they weren't expecting it to be tied to a transparent attempt to make it harder for non-Conservatives to form a government but within several hours of the result it suddenly was. The parliamentary debate post-ref barely mentioned Scotland at all, the SNP were permitted minimal interventions and the whole thing collapses if Labour don't agree to a system where even if they win Scotland they can't form a functional government. Handing it off to a 'Commission' allows the whole thing to be safely ignored until after the elections, by which time none of the parties need follow it. Unless you're saying UK governments of any stripe have a track record of paying attention to commissions and inquirys.

Also nice edit, I agree you weren't dismissive enough

baronvonsabre
Aug 1, 2013

Greens in third place in the regional results is interesting, but what happened to the Scottish Conservatives support? They've dropped from 14% on the constituency to only 8%. I thought Tory voters in Scotland were pretty hard voters and unlikely to swing to another party.

kapparomeo
Apr 19, 2011

Some say his extreme-right links are clearly known, even in the fascist capitalist imperialist Murdochist press...

Obliterati posted:

Well for a start they weren't expecting it to be tied to a transparent attempt to make it harder for non-Conservatives to form a government but within several hours of the result it suddenly was. The parliamentary debate post-ref barely mentioned Scotland at all, the SNP were permitted minimal interventions and the whole thing collapses if Labour don't agree to a system where even if they win Scotland they can't form a functional government. Handing it off to a 'Commission' allows the whole thing to be safely ignored until after the elections, by which time none of the parties need follow it. Unless you're saying UK governments of any stripe have a track record of paying attention to commissions and inquirys.

Also nice edit, I agree you weren't dismissive enough

But the Smith Commission has already published a Command Paper detaling the parties' individual devolution proposals, which will be unified into a Heads of Agreement at the end of November, and a draft bill will be presented in January. The election isn't until May and the content of these documents will definitely inform the voters.

And yes, I think that the Rev. Campbell's wild histrionics should be relentlessly scorned, thanks!

kapparomeo fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Nov 4, 2014

dadrips
Jan 8, 2010

everything you do is a balloon
College Slice

https://www.ipsos-mori.com/researchpublications/researcharchive/3472/SNP-increases-lead-in-voting-intention-for-Scottish-Parliament.aspx

Even Coatbridge has went Labour, hot dang! Also lol @ Shetland :cryingclegg:

It looks like big J-Murph is going to become leader of Scottish Labour after all, demonstrating a complete lack of awareness as to why they're doing so badly. Seriously, the only reason I'm so pro-independence is because of the complete lack of a pro-union left-wing party or voice that isn't that wingnut Galloway. As long as they keep tacking to the right like their UK chums it'll only get worse.

baronvonsabre posted:

Greens in third place in the regional results is interesting, but what happened to the Scottish Conservatives support? They've dropped from 14% on the constituency to only 8%. I thought Tory voters in Scotland were pretty hard voters and unlikely to swing to another party.

Doesn't seem too inconceivable that some of them could go to the SNP given the party's "big tent" status - there's plenty of bona fide tartan tories in there.

Spooky Hyena
May 2, 2014

Choosing to benefit from an empire of murder and genocide makes you complicit.
:scotland:
lol, nice meltdown

baronvonsabre posted:

Yougov's saying they're mostly bleeding to Labour, which is a surprise. Less surprising is that it's showing large leaks to "Other" (presumably UKIP). Conservative defectors to SNP and lib dems are pretty much negligible.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Wow, even West Dunbartonshire, which has never been anything but Labour going back to the 50s has gone SNP.

Makes sense, though, since we were one of the four that voted in majority for Indy.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
Can someone explain how you can be be SNP but NO at the same time

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Burqa King posted:

Can someone explain how you can be be SNP but NO at the same time

Same thing Quebec did after their tight referendum? They now have a hammer in the form of a cohesive threat to the establishment and a energized base; voting for SNP is a vote for "the one party that can force concessions out of Westminster". Since the other parties are nationally consolidated, they'll always be deferential to English interests. Frankly you'd be an idiot to not vote for the SNP if you lived in Scotland; they'll bring home a hell of a lot more bacon.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
It's a bit of a weird thing to see the government of a country described as a 'threat to the establishment'.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Pissflaps posted:

It's a bit of a weird thing to see the government of a country described as a 'threat to the establishment'.

The established governance is structured in a way to be deferential to England, for a bunch of reasons (population, number of MPs, spending, where business is consolidated, etc). I'll leave it as an exercise to the reader to determine if that's a good thing, but it's clearly a true thing, and it's a thing lots of Scots dislike. It wasn't weird at all when Quebec pulled it off.

The reality is if we in the North had the kind of support the SNP had for a third party, we would be a threat to the establishment in England, despite being in England.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

CoolCab posted:

The reality is if we in the North had the kind of support the SNP had for a third party, we would be a threat to the establishment in England, despite being in England.

Nah, it'd just mean permanent Tory majorities and a rump Labour party. Labour can win without Scotland though they'd consequently shift to the right but without the North it would Tories forever.

Also Scotland could semi-plausibly be economically independent albeit in a lot worse shape than Nationalists pretend but other regions wouldn't have a hope. A Northern third party would be thus deprived of one of the key levers of influence the SNP has. This is also the reason that if Labour go into coalition with the SNP in Westminster after the next election the North will be hosed.

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

Lol Orkney is SNP while Shetland is still Lib

ReV VAdAUL posted:

Nah, it'd just mean permanent Tory majorities and a rump Labour party. Labour can win without Scotland though they'd consequently shift to the right but without the North it would Tories forever.

Also Scotland could semi-plausibly be economically independent albeit in a lot worse shape than Nationalists pretend but other regions wouldn't have a hope. A Northern third party would be thus deprived of one of the key levers of influence the SNP has. This is also the reason that if Labour go into coalition with the SNP in Westminster after the next election the North will be hosed.

Wait which north are you talking about? Our north or your north?

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

If this were to happen in real life and pro-indi MSPs outnumbered unionists almost 2:1, could they avoid another referendum?

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

ReV VAdAUL posted:

Why won't Labour and the SNP just form a coalition? This seems like the fairly obvious outcome.

Labour's saying "Oh we'd never do that" just like they always do with the Lib Dems because they don't want to lose votes to the other party but when push comes to shove if the choice is between a hung parliament and a SNP/Labour Coalition it's going to be the latter, with some concessions given to the SNP to keep them sweet.

Fans fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Nov 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

bitterandtwisted posted:

If this were to happen in real life and pro-indi MSPs outnumbered unionists almost 2:1, could they avoid another referendum?

You're talking about UDI and the answer is: no.

• Locked thread