Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
The gundam breaker game is not gonna have accurate kit mechanics regardless. (Also it's not competitive, it's a pve game with optional co-op.) It's more videogamey: you have a variety of part slots for arms/legs/torso/head/backpack/weapons and you can just mix and match anything and they all magically go together with no fit issues or joint design mismatches. You could use the game to come up with designs for kitbashes but you would probably end up having to cut/glue/scratchbuild to get everything to fit together.

Though there are a few sets kits specifically designed to be cross-compatible. Like around when Gundam Build Fighters aired in 2013 they did the "HG All Gundam Project" where they made a bunch of MC suits that were designed to all be compatible for easy kitbashing / mix-and-match with each other and the HGBF line.
In 2021 the series of Gundam Breaker Battlogue kits were designed to all be cross-compatible with each as well. I'm not sure how well they go with the All Gundam Project kits.
But for example it would be much harder to mix those parts with the WFM line's no-polycap design joints without extra modification. And the Aerial doesn't have the right peg holes in its back so you couldn't just attach a Strike Freedom backpack without some cutting and gluing to make everything fit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Sick, my black aerial shipped. Can't wait to build that once it arrives

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Dalong is really useful for brainstorming kitbashes, since you can look at the instructions and see what connection points the kits use.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Nuebot posted:

Sick, my black aerial shipped. Can't wait to build that once it arrives

I picked up a Permet 6 Aerial, but its waiting on me to order two weapon stand packs for the bits and a base 5, I want to pose it with a ring of bits around it.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

primaltrash posted:

I picked up a Permet 6 Aerial, but its waiting on me to order two weapon stand packs for the bits and a base 5, I want to pose it with a ring of bits around it.

the wfm display base isnt out yet, right?

between me and my partner my house is lousy with aerials that have nowhere to display their bits

Antoine Silvere
Nov 25, 2008

Are these soap bubbles?
Grimey Drawer

Deviant posted:

the wfm display base isnt out yet, right?

between me and my partner my house is lousy with aerials that have nowhere to display their bits

The little bit stands have been out for about half a year actually, should be able to find them on most major sites.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Antoine Silvere posted:

The little bit stands have been out for about half a year actually, should be able to find them on most major sites.

How weird, everywhere I saw them they're pre-order or out of stock.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

primaltrash posted:

Speaking of permet; the permet score 5 calibarn looks sick.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Nuebot posted:

Speaking of permet; the permet score 5 calibarn looks sick.

It does, if I hadn't just built the regular release I'd likely jump on it.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Deviant posted:

This has been a problem with those since they launched. WfM kits had horrible stock problems during the run, and I don't think they ever solved it for the display base.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Blaziken386 posted:

also speaking of kitbashing, i know having an airbrushing setup looks the best, but i shouldn't have any problems if i just did primer + spray paint + top coat, right?

Thin your paints, helps to hide brush strokes on the finished product.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
put together the Aile Strike ex-standard and I can see what people mean about the stickers. my brain worms is probably going to make me prime and paint all of these fuckers

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

mllaneza posted:

100%, it's better to do multiple thin coats. takes longer but you get a much smoother finish

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

mllaneza posted:

Obligatory post of probably the best video on paint thinning ever made. Not just the how, but the why. I did not understand paint thinning or how to figure out the right ratios before taking a look at what this fellow had to say.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBDVPoNXyVI

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Deviant posted:

Apparently, Bandai stopped production on those bases. Even made an announcement on it.

I don't know what's going on, either.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Warmachine posted:

Obligatory post of probably the best video on paint thinning ever made. Not just the how, but the why. I did not understand paint thinning or how to figure out the right ratios before taking a look at what this fellow had to say.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBDVPoNXyVI

I didn't watch it all, but yeah that's a pretty drat good video.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

RillAkBea posted:

I didn't watch it all, but yeah that's a pretty drat good video.

Don't get me wrong though, the third dimension of 'air pressure' when working with an airbrush is still black magic 'whatever feels right, man' to me. I think the right PSI has something to do with the viscosity of the paint, maybe?

Antoine Silvere
Nov 25, 2008

Are these soap bubbles?
Grimey Drawer

chiasaur11 posted:

Apparently, Bandai stopped production on those bases. Even made an announcement on it.

I don't know what's going on, either.

Wait what?? Fuckin Bandai

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

well now i need to talk to mecha warehouse because i have a preorder of 2x WFM display weapon base, hg lfrith, and a mirasoul flight unit that may never ship.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Warmachine posted:

I think the right PSI has something to do with the viscosity of the paint, maybe?
It's about getting the paint from the airbrush to the model fast enough the paint atoms don't dry but not so fast they bounce around/off, while also making sure the paint coverage hits it all without so much as to drown the piece in your paint. Paint brand, paint type, distance between the airbrush and piece, humidity and temperature will all change this.

So yes, black magic pretty much.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Antoine Silvere posted:

Wait what?? Fuckin Bandai

Our stock of G-Witch is up to interpretation

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Waffleman_ posted:

Can I interest you in a Michaelis surplus?

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Waffleman_ posted:

Lmao

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

from usagundamstore:

quote:

We have not received any news from our distributor that our shipment of the Mobile Suit Gundam The Witch From Mercury Weapon Display Base has been canceled. We are still expecting to receive these in Quarter 2 (Apr-Jun). This, however, is just the last estimate we have received from Bandai's US distributor and we are still awaiting additional updates. We will continue to follow up with all preorders to ensure they arrive as soon as possible. Once this preorder does arrive we will have this order processed and out to you as quickly as possible. We will also provide you tracking for your order at that time. Thank you!
Eryn
USAGS Support Team

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Deviant posted:

from usagundamstore:

That makes much more sense.

Sorry for passing on rumors.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

I don't really like the gundams themselves much but I did get that turquoise lfrith and hope I can get posing sticks for the thingamajigs in its shoulders

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

Can I interest you in a Michaelis surplus?

Y'know... a community build where we buy a surplus Michaelis and turn it into a grunt suit might be neat... idk. My brain is in a weird place right now lol... unless?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

It’s been a while since we did a group build…

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

I’m taking a dip into gunpla from my regular hobbying and I need some advice. I’m doing the master grade rx-78-2 3.0 and I’ve come to the apparently notorious arms, I’ve seen a lot of lamentation regarding the state of the copper foil stickers for the elbow joint and I had picked up the Bandai water slide decals for the kit in prep. Unfortunately the ‘copper’ water slides look like complete poo poo and are as big of a bastard to do on that elbow as the stickers and I can’t see them being much more resilient.

In short I want to know if I use the foil stickers and then varnish the piece if it’ll be sufficient to stop the destruction and peeling that apparently happens on this kits elbows?
I picked up gunpla for something to build that I wouldn’t have to paint and while I could prime and paint these metallic bits I’d really rather not and I think the combo of raw plastic abs painted bits might look off.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Paint marker?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Deviant posted:

Paint marker?

Yeah, just get a Gundam-brand metallic paint marker and call it a day. They're easy to use, and give great results.

Skrillmub
Nov 22, 2007

Mr Teatime posted:

I’m taking a dip into gunpla from my regular hobbying and I need some advice. I’m doing the master grade rx-78-2 3.0 and I’ve come to the apparently notorious arms, I’ve seen a lot of lamentation regarding the state of the copper foil stickers for the elbow joint and I had picked up the Bandai water slide decals for the kit in prep. Unfortunately the ‘copper’ water slides look like complete poo poo and are as big of a bastard to do on that elbow as the stickers and I can’t see them being much more resilient.

In short I want to know if I use the foil stickers and then varnish the piece if it’ll be sufficient to stop the destruction and peeling that apparently happens on this kits elbows?
I picked up gunpla for something to build that I wouldn’t have to paint and while I could prime and paint these metallic bits I’d really rather not and I think the combo of raw plastic abs painted bits might look off.

I built an MG 3.0 two years ago and I don't see any peeling going on with the stickers. The round decals that go around the elbows don't stick right though. They never did, not even the day after putting them on.
Maybe the elbow joints go bad if you pose the kit a lot or just play with it.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Skrillmub posted:

I built an MG 3.0 two years ago and I don't see any peeling going on with the stickers. The round decals that go around the elbows don't stick right though. They never did, not even the day after putting them on.
Maybe the elbow joints go bad if you pose the kit a lot or just play with it.

I suppose I described it badly, I mean the ones that go in the crook of the elbow that involve the tiny long strips that go over quite an angular surface.

I guess I could pick up some markers, although at that point I may just prime and paint. What’s in metallic gundam markers anyway, acrylics? Oils?

There’s no issues with topcoating the kit stickers for protection though right?

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Mr Teatime posted:

I suppose I described it badly, I mean the ones that go in the crook of the elbow that involve the tiny long strips that go over quite an angular surface.

I guess I could pick up some markers, although at that point I may just prime and paint. What’s in metallic gundam markers anyway, acrylics? Oils?

priming and painting is an order of magnitude more complex than a paint marker. and i *believe* they are oil based, because alcohol takes them off. but i am not an expert and i may be wrong.

Deviant fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Mar 29, 2024

Queadlunn
Dec 10, 2005

Yak Deculture!
Fallen Rib
Is that Chu Chu?

She's got a...

...OH GOD, RUN!!!

Skrillmub
Nov 22, 2007

Mr Teatime posted:

Yeah, that's what I was talking about. The goldish rectangles that go over the inner elbow joints. A lot of older RGs had those and some of them would come off because you're expected to fold the sticker over the joint. On my MG they're still good.
There's no issue topcoating the kit to ensure nothing peels or pops up.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Queadlunn posted:

Is that Chu Chu?

She's got a...

...OH GOD, RUN!!!

WFM: 📚

WFM if Chu had a gun: 📄

Getting the gun back from Chu: 📚📚📚

Antoine Silvere
Nov 25, 2008

Are these soap bubbles?
Grimey Drawer

Queadlunn posted:

Is that Chu Chu?

She's got a...

...OH GOD, RUN!!!

:perfect:

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

By the way are official Bandai water slides just…not great? I’ve got plenty of experience with decals on models but these ones just seem lacklustre to work with, not unusable by any stretch but just worse than I was expecting. I did get a 3rd party set for the other kit I got with this one so I’m hoping for a better time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Mr Teatime posted:

By the way are official Bandai water slides just…not great? I’ve got plenty of experience with decals on models but these ones just seem lacklustre to work with, not unusable by any stretch but just worse than I was expecting. I did get a 3rd party set for the other kit I got with this one so I’m hoping for a better time.

I haven't worked with them much, but it feels like they're hard to work with yeah. I guess the only tip I have is keep the water very warm, if it cools off even a little their recommended dip time is way off.