Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

I’d be careful with lacquer based varnishes in particular if you plan on spraying them over water slide decals as a finishing coat, they can absolutely damage them and I wouldn’t be particularly shocked if they made gundam markers bleed although admittedly I don’t have experience with that.

Ask me how narked I am that I ordered Mr super clear topcoat instead of Mr Topcoat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, I saw that specifically about Mr Super Clear after talking with a buddy last night how baller that is for other craft projects.
Sounds like Mr Top Coat would be better for over water slides and acrylics. I’m assuming Tamiya topcoats are okay over acrylic because that’s their primary formulation.

Queadlunn
Dec 10, 2005

Yak Deculture!
Fallen Rib
Got my Aerial assembled (with the metal frame and LED kit), just need to get the bit display part figured out

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

monsterzero posted:

My kingdom for Mr. Datasheet (in English).

I want you to know I saw this and appreciate the sentiment

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

monsterzero posted:

I’m starting to buy paints so please tell me if I have this wrong:

Acrylics are water based and safe to use, brush or otherwise on all plastics or chemistries. Non-toxic, but fragile surface.

Not all acrylics paints are water based. For example both Mr. Aqueous and Tamiya acrylics are alcohol-based. But even alcohol-based acrylics can be thinned with water instead of needing special chemical thinners, which is where the non water based "Aqueous" paints get their name.

quote:

Lacquer - strongest final film/most aggressive solvent. Top coating over other chemistries is okay/good. However, if you were to absolutely soak your model or brush (mechanically agitate) lacquer you might gently caress up the underlying paint.

Hobby brand lacquers & lacquer thinners are a lot less hot than "real world" lacquer paints (or hardware store lacquer thinner) and people do just spray em on unprimed plastic with far fewer issues than enamels. No idea what the chemicals involved are like though.
I believe even some primers are lacquer-based? Or at least they can be thinned with lacquer thinner. But then again people also use hobby lacquer thinners like Mr Leveling Thinner for enamel paints, so in the end IDK what's going on re: thinner compatibility.

And yeah lacquers over top of acrylic paints can potentially cause trouble:

Mr Teatime posted:

I’d be careful with lacquer based varnishes in particular if you plan on spraying them over water slide decals as a finishing coat, they can absolutely damage them and I wouldn’t be particularly shocked if they made gundam markers bleed although admittedly I don’t have experience with that.

Ask me how narked I am that I ordered Mr super clear topcoat instead of Mr Topcoat.

A goon in the discord had an issue with this -- Testors (laquer) glosscote would reactivate and smear their gundam pour-type marker panel lines. In the end they got it to work, they just had to use lighter less-wet coats.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Apr 14, 2024

Antoine Silvere
Nov 25, 2008

Are these soap bubbles?
Grimey Drawer
I’ve definitely had tamiya panel liner crack plastic, specifically on my RG Nu Gundam. It seems like it got into a crevice between parts and probably didn’t dry as fast as it should have and caused issues. If you’re quick on the cleanup and don’t skip it on, it should be fine.

I also just base coat all my kits with lacquer paints (Gaianotes EX black or Alclad gloss black base) and have never had any issues with plastic cracking cuz of that.

Tried my hand at washing the GOOhN and hoo boy I’m bad at it lol:

Anyone know of an easy way to clean up acrylic washes after they’ve dried, tried enamel thinner cuz it’s all I had and it didn’t work great.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Antoine Silvere posted:

I’ve definitely had tamiya panel liner crack plastic, specifically on my RG Nu Gundam. It seems like it got into a crevice between parts and probably didn’t dry as fast as it should have and caused issues. If you’re quick on the cleanup and don’t skip it on, it should be fine.

I also just base coat all my kits with lacquer paints (Gaianotes EX black or Alclad gloss black base) and have never had any issues with plastic cracking cuz of that.

Tried my hand at washing the GOOhN and hoo boy I’m bad at it lol:

Anyone know of an easy way to clean up acrylic washes after they’ve dried, tried enamel thinner cuz it’s all I had and it didn’t work great.

You could try isopropyl alcohol because that will definitely strip acrylic paint, but depending on what’s under it it could take that off too.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Mr Teatime posted:

Oil washes are fine? Jeese I’ll just dig out my paints then. Are mineral spirits on the naughty list as well for Bandai plastic? I normally just use winsor and newton sansodor for oils.

I've been fine using odorless turpenoid.

I believe mineral spirits are okay, but I'd do some tests on a piece of sprue before I did anything on an expensive kit. You got a GM or something to use as a tester, hell, maybe it'll look like cool battle damage.

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

Not even Gundam Markers are safe to use with uncoated ABS, as I learned last night :o
edit: On further reflection, it was probably less to do with the ABS as it was that the layer of paint that was applied to the ball joint made the connection too tight which caused it to snap when I attempted to rotate the connection. Looking online though, I do see some disasters that have happened with gundam markers on raw ABS, so proceed with caution I guess!

Queadlunn posted:

Got my Aerial assembled (with the metal frame and LED kit), just need to get the bit display part figured out

Gorgeous

Big Bizness fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Apr 15, 2024

Queadlunn
Dec 10, 2005

Yak Deculture!
Fallen Rib

Thanks! Here's the display my spouse and I put together for G-Witch:

The KosMos LED kit is good, but the bit trail parts are really hard to work with. The screws shear off when you tighten them, and the trail parts are vynil with two stickers applied, so making them look cool and swoopy but also clean is a nightmare. I decided not to use them and saved space in the display case.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
I didn't manage to get any good pictures of the aeriel because lmao the plastic is so dark I can't get any light on it so it's just a dark blob in every shot I try to take: fun build though, I can totally see why people love the WFM kits. Now I need more.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I think I might get an Aerial, but I'm gonna wait for the (probably inevitable) Real Grade version.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
You'll be waiting for a while, I think.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Arc Hammer posted:

You'll be waiting for a while, I think.

It's okay, I have a backlog to keep me occupied. :shepface:

Queadlunn
Dec 10, 2005

Yak Deculture!
Fallen Rib
I'm still really shocked that they don't have any in-production 1/100 G-Witch kits, the Full Mechanics Aerial is shown as discontinued everywhere now...

Queadlunn fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Apr 15, 2024

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Meanwhile my hobby shop is filled with reprints of SEED Destiny HGs but no SEED Freedom kits.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
I saw a few of what seemed to be 1/100 No Grade SEED kits at a HobbyTown.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

wdarkk posted:

I saw a few of what seemed to be 1/100 No Grade SEED kits at a HobbyTown.

Those exist but are mostly obsoleted by subsequent MG kits for most of the subjects.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Midjack posted:

Those exist but are mostly obsoleted by subsequent MG kits for most of the subjects.

Yeah, it was just really weird. It’s not one of the ones that have an absolutely huge selection so having them at all seemed baffling.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

wdarkk posted:

Yeah, it was just really weird. It’s not one of the ones that have an absolutely huge selection so having them at all seemed baffling.

They probably got a big reprint run for the movie, but were lower in demand than the new movie kits so it was easy to pick a few up in a larger order.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
Are there any gunpla which come with metal or metal coated parts? I have heard some kits have after market metal bits (which ones are recommended?) but are there any kits which have them by default?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Iymarra posted:

Are there any gunpla which come with metal or metal coated parts? I have heard some kits have after market metal bits (which ones are recommended?) but are there any kits which have them by default?

Some older kits use a handful of screws, no big metal pieces though. The MG Acguy even has a spring!
And the huge 1/24-1/12 "HY2M" kits have metal hardware for the joints.

As for normal sized stuff there are some original Chinese kits that come with metal inner frames like Motor Nuclear's Ao Bing etc, but no Bandai kits I'm aware of.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

If you go back even further, there were a few kits that experimented with metal joints. Like the 1/100 "Full Action" Nu Gundam. (which has the best box art ever)

Also there are a few metal internals on some of the PGs.

HiRMs have metal parts in their prebuilt skeletons but that's a little different.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Iymarra posted:

The psycho gundam has screws to hold its torso together

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Iymarra posted:

The MG Ball has two metal rods for the arms. You can check my post a couple weeks ago for them.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Iymarra posted:

the ball/polypodball have metal rods, as was stated. the mg psycho zaku had metal springs for the cables on the legs

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

The first MG Nu has a metal pelvis.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Midjack posted:

The first MG Nu has a metal pelvis.

old age comes for us all

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
This Nu hip replacement isn't just for show!

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Not sure if it counts as metal parts, but the Perfect Grade Unleashed RX-78-2 has metal stickers (as in thin metal with a sticky back) that are used for extra detail in places.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Iymarra posted:

If you're just wanting something with a metal/metallic look, get yourself a Gundam EX Silver marker and paint away on a kit you like.

The marker's number is XGM100.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I like toying around with the metal paint markers ive got but I'm wondering if there's a way to make the metal a bit less shiny and more dulled/matte.

Maybe I should get some citadel paints and hand brush the metal parts, their metallics look amazing.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Arc Hammer posted:

I like toying around with the metal paint markers ive got but I'm wondering if there's a way to make the metal a bit less shiny and more dulled/matte.

Maybe I should get some citadel paints and hand brush the metal parts, their metallics look amazing.

metal paints / markers are shiny by nature of their pigment. you'd have to use a matte varnish and even then there'll still be shininess to them just less so

it's why I've been avoiding metallic paints for my repaints and using alternative visual looks

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Stopped by the hobby shop the other day to grab a Baund Doc, and they had one Lancelot Albion kit from Code Geass R2, which I had to snag. It’s going to be fun posing that big boy when it’s finished.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

metal paints / markers are shiny by nature of their pigment. you'd have to use a matte varnish and even then there'll still be shininess to them just less so

it's why I've been avoiding metallic paints for my repaints and using alternative visual looks

I've used citadel paints extensively when I was into 40K and I got pretty good at using their darker boltgun metal plus washes to really dull them out so they're metallic but not "mirror shine" metallic.

One method I've been practicing with for the paint pens is to paint onto the plastic and then wipe off most of the paint before it dries. It gives a nice finish after a few tries where the colour of the plastic underneath is still visible but with a very fine layer of the pigments over top that still catches the light.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Arc Hammer posted:

I've used citadel paints extensively when I was into 40K and I got pretty good at using their darker boltgun metal plus washes to really dull them out so they're metallic but not "mirror shine" metallic.

One method I've been practicing with for the paint pens is to paint onto the plastic and then wipe off most of the paint before it dries. It gives a nice finish after a few tries where the colour of the plastic underneath is still visible but with a very fine layer of the pigments over top that still catches the light.

oh I thought you were trying to maintain the color but just lessen the shine. yeah washes of darker colors will cut down the refractions

as for shininess for paint that doesn't have it naturally. you could use glitter in acrylic medium, then thin it down a bit into a wash / glaze. that way you can mix some up ahead of time and just paint it on wherever you want. basically the same thing as glitter nail polish

actually if you've already got citadels metallics then you could make a glaze from those

I R SMART LIKE ROCK fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Apr 15, 2024

Razor Jacksuit
Mar 31, 2007

VEES RULE #1

Is everyone just forgetting this? https://p-bandai.com/us/item/N2549010001005

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

monsterzero posted:

My kingdom for Mr. Datasheet (in English).

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I'm plan to get back into modeling, and I'm hoping to get into painting. Is there a good list of what brands to buy from / how colors will look after painted on / what colors will look good together?

I'm certain I've seen this information before, but now that I actually need it I don't have any clue where to find it.

Also, because I'm smart and I respect my limitations I'm planning on using a glossy black. What kind of hell am I getting into?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
You planning to airbrush or hand paint? Do you have any examples of paint jobs that inspire you?