Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Monaghan posted:

man at this point astray has got to be the most successful gundam side story ever.

Pretty much, it's about 10-12 suits/variants that all use the same frame, it's a corporate wet dream, they only need to engineer a quarter of a suit every time.

TARDISman fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Nov 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Psychoframe's painted. Now I just need to prime and paint the regular plastic (or resin, in the XC's case) and this ridiculous build will finally be over.

...And then I can get to work on the details. :shepicide:

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

DigitalRaven posted:

Looks like I'll be finding out. I'm not going to pay eBay scalper prices for it, and the Yen's so far in the shitter that Gentei's price + shipping is a third less than the eBay listings.

Normally, someone like tokyo-hobby on eBay is my best bet in the UK since HLJ's prices are a bit better but the shipping eats the difference. Yen's weak against the pound and the dollar; I poked at HLJ and could get for £80 (inc shipping) what would be £120 on eBay. Then again, I'm buying mostly HGs (drat you, Build Fighters). Haven't pulled the trigger yet, but mostly because I don't have much space to store a backlog.

For that much money you probably won't dodge customs so don't forget the 20% VAT and whatever Parcel Force decided to charge as a handling fee.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
http://schizophonic9.blog103.fc2.com/blog-entry-2373.html#more

i think he really likes the grimoire. look at the size of the photoetch parts he's putting on

gently caress

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

BlitzBlast posted:

Psychoframe's painted. Now I just need to prime and paint the regular plastic (or resin, in the XC's case) and this ridiculous build will finally be over.

...And then I can get to work on the details. :shepicide:

If you were going to paint it anyway, what was the point of getting the blue psycoframe? Or is that not for your Plan B?

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

muike posted:

http://schizophonic9.blog103.fc2.com/blog-entry-2373.html#more

i think he really likes the grimoire. look at the size of the photoetch parts he's putting on

gently caress

It's as close as we're ever gonna get to a kit of the Rk-92 from Full Metal Panic. Soon as I get my Grimoire, it's gonna be painted dark brown and tan, and I'm whipping out some decals from a MiG kit that I hung onto. :ussr:

As to Unicorn psychoframes, if I ever venture into one, Alclad Scarabeus for the inner parts is going down.

http://alclad2.com/finishes/prismatic-holomatic/alc-201-scarabeus/

SHIFTA PAINTJOB BRO

Meanwhile, the... uh... tail? part of Rex just got finished. Not much to show, but try as I might I can't fully remove the nubs from the launcher hatch cover thingies. I'm worried about breaking off the bits that hold them in, so it's gonna be hoping for flat coat to cover up.

I think this weekend I'm gonna have to take the Detolf plunge ;_;

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Broken Loose posted:

If you were going to paint it anyway, what was the point of getting the blue psycoframe? Or is that not for your Plan B?

Huh? I had three different colors of clear plastic, had to get them all the same somehow.

Maybe you're confusing me with Aces because I didn't even get the Phenex.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

MJP posted:

It's as close as we're ever gonna get to a kit of the Rk-92 from Full Metal Panic. Soon as I get my Grimoire, it's gonna be painted dark brown and tan, and I'm whipping out some decals from a MiG kit that I hung onto. :ussr:

As to Unicorn psychoframes, if I ever venture into one, Alclad Scarabeus for the inner parts is going down.

SHIFTA PAINTJOB BRO

Meanwhile, the... uh... tail? part of Rex just got finished. Not much to show, but try as I might I can't fully remove the nubs from the launcher hatch cover thingies. I'm worried about breaking off the bits that hold them in, so it's gonna be hoping for flat coat to cover up.

I think this weekend I'm gonna have to take the Detolf plunge ;_;

be strong brother, the Arm Slave line from Koto is not dead yet...

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

BlitzBlast posted:

Maybe you're confusing me with Aces because I didn't even get the Phenex.

I am. I thought you were the one making the MG Plan B.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

We both are, actually. :v: He's sticking with the standard color scheme, I'm going with metallic green.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Someone should convert a Mock into a Scopedog. A Mockdog. For my amusement.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

MJP posted:

It's as close as we're ever gonna get to a kit of the Rk-92 from Full Metal Panic.

Oh MJP I think you might be my soul mate.

What could have been :( http://www.gundammodelkits.com/alter-almecha-160-rk-92-savage-preview.html

EDIT: Went on eBay to see what the robot spirits one was going for. $100+

Blackchamber fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Nov 5, 2014

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

MJP posted:

SHIFTA PAINTJOB BRO

I actually tried this! It doesn't work.

At all. That's four coats of Scarabeus there if you're wondering. Under heavy light the effect worked, but otherwise it just looks black. I tried spraying it on top of metallic green to see if that would work better, but nope.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
So does anyone know how the HG F91 and Shining stack up together, size-wise? I've got some ideas for a lame kit bash and if the arms are too long/short it's not gonna work.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
How's the stand that comes with Nu vKa in terms of being a decent stand that will holid up my plastic space man Jesus and not a "look at this fancy robot pose" thing because I am bad at posing and just want to display a model.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

It's perfect for that. Just make sure you put it all the way in.

Yosuke
Dec 21, 2006

Emperor of Steel

Literally The Worst posted:

How's the stand that comes with Nu vKa in terms of being a decent stand that will holid up my plastic space man Jesus and not a "look at this fancy robot pose" thing because I am bad at posing and just want to display a model.

The Hi-Nu uses the exact same stand and is pretty good at holding it up, though if you mean for standing poses you're not going to get any out of it for that purpose.

As for putting it all the way in, yeah, you have to make sure its hooked up to the back and the backpack right or you will get frustration of it snapping out.

Yosuke fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Nov 5, 2014

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Yosuke posted:

The Hi-Nu uses the exact same stand and is pretty good at holding it up, though if you mean for standing poses you're not going to get any out of it for that purpose.

As for putting it all the way in, yeah, you have to make sure its hooked up to the back and the backpack right or you will get frustration of it snapping out.

Dang, that's basically all I want to do beacuse I'm boring and hate posing and just want to put the models that I'm going to put the most work into on a Big Gay Shelf of robot poo poo, and looking at the instructions it doesn't look like there's a clip included for an AB.

Yosuke
Dec 21, 2006

Emperor of Steel
Yeah, at best you can go for neutral floaty with it, but it's not meant to be used as a "keep this level while it's flat on the ground" stand.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I mean theoretically neither are ABs but still. I'll have to use one of the U-shaped clips from an AB kit I guess.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

In what I can only assume to be a sign that my love of Gundam X is just, I just won a 1/100 Airmaster Burst on eBay for the entirely reasonable price of $17.50! :dance:

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Luminaflare posted:

For that much money you probably won't dodge customs so don't forget the 20% VAT and whatever Parcel Force decided to charge as a handling fee.

That's true for the big order, but I can ship it out in smaller batches with HLJ's personal warehouse thing. Hell, even if I do go nuts and get it in one big box, VAT + handling charge on top of the price is still going to be cheaper than eBay.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

DigitalRaven posted:

That's true for the big order, but I can ship it out in smaller batches with HLJ's personal warehouse thing. Hell, even if I do go nuts and get it in one big box, VAT + handling charge on top of the price is still going to be cheaper than eBay.

Not by much and it'll take a lot longer to get here. It's just generally worth keeping in mind that when you do pay a mark up for it already being in country even with relatively slow shipping/postage it'll get here a lot quicker than SAL or EMS, the latter because it sits in customs hell for around about two weeks.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Luminaflare posted:

Not by much and it'll take a lot longer to get here. It's just generally worth keeping in mind that when you do pay a mark up for it already being in country even with relatively slow shipping/postage it'll get here a lot quicker than SAL or EMS, the latter because it sits in customs hell for around about two weeks.

I don't know where you're buying from that's shipping kits already in the UK, but pretty much everything I'm after doesn't have that option. The few that do are are priced ridiculously high. Tokyo-hobby or J3 have a significant markup over HLJ and still ship SAL or EMS. I don't give a poo poo about the wait because I'm already waiting a loving age.

Anyway...

BlitzBlast posted:

Gentei Kits still has it up for pre-order, though I kind of wonder if that's a mistake.

It's a mistake. I snagged one last night, got a refund this morning.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

DigitalRaven posted:

I don't know where you're buying from that's shipping kits already in the UK, but pretty much everything I'm after doesn't have that option. The few that do are are priced ridiculously high. Tokyo-hobby or J3 have a significant markup over HLJ and still ship SAL or EMS. I don't give a poo poo about the wait because I'm already waiting a loving age.

Mostly dumb luck on someone listing a kit on ebay.

edit: I've not bought an expensive kit since the Sazabi vKa, any big orders of HGs I make I have shipped separately to keep the product value below £15~ to try and stay on the safe side. That said Hobby Search combined my last order without asking me and a £30 order sent through SAL got through customs without charges.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Does the product value, for the sake of customs, include shipping?

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Does the product value, for the sake of customs, include shipping?

Ahahaha, both! When determining if you should pay vat it's just the value of the products sans shipping, however if you have to pay vat you pay on the combined value of the products and shipping. Parcelforce 'conveniently' pay this for you and you then have to pay them your customs charge plus a 'handling' fee which is usually around the same amount as the customs charge.

There's also duty fees but you need to order something like £200 of stuff in one order for those to apply.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Luminaflare posted:

Ahahaha, both! When determining if you should pay vat it's just the value of the products sans shipping, however if you have to pay vat you pay on the combined value of the products and shipping. Parcelforce 'conveniently' pay this for you and you then have to pay them your customs charge plus a 'handling' fee which is usually around the same amount as the customs charge.

There's also duty fees but you need to order something like £200 of stuff in one order for those to apply.

tl;dr: gently caress UK customs.

God drat it, quote is not edit.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Well that loving sucks.

Anyway, MG 00 Gundam Seven Sword is just under half price on Amazon right now, if anyone wants it.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
Has the shoulder design changed much from original MG Zeta derivatives to the Zeta 2.0? I may have torqued the rotation joint at the bicep and broken a peg. Possibly because I am bad at this hobby and might have expected that I could put the loving left arm out to help grip the hyper launcher, silly me.

I don't expect these things to be action figures but I'd really like them not to disintegrate the first time I look at them.

Edit: I ask because I have an old Zetaplus that's served its purpose and has a couple of busted bits, and I could use it for parts if they work. I don't learn lessons well, I guess- this is the third MG Zeta-type I've built and they all seem to end up coming down with some problem.

The Muffinlord fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Nov 5, 2014

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Literally The Worst posted:

I'm boring and hate posing

Well that explains why you bought Neo Zeong, cause it's also boring and hates to be posed. :v:

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

This lead me to the UK Amazon and HobbyOne have it for £42.40, do any of you have experience with them? Best price on Amazon.co.uk, there's one slightly cheaper on eBay from tokyo-hobby, I don't know if I'm likely to have better luck with customs on one or the other.

Edit: HLJ has it for £24 + shipping so it's a matter of if I want to risk customs, and that might still work out better.

BizarroAzrael fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Nov 5, 2014

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

TaurusOxford posted:

Well that explains why you bought Neo Zeong, cause it's also boring

gently caress your mother with a stolen dick, you don't talk bad about a dude who looms menacingly over my MGs. Or he would, if I stopped caring about scale and put them on that shelf.

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012
New thread, new (crappy) backlog pictures. Not everything is visible, but you get the idea.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Gimme your Sinanju vKa I don't want to pay for one.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

That's not a backlog that's a cry for help.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

BlitzBlast posted:

I actually tried this! It doesn't work.

At all. That's four coats of Scarabeus there if you're wondering. Under heavy light the effect worked, but otherwise it just looks black. I tried spraying it on top of metallic green to see if that would work better, but nope.

With Alclad's stuff you gotta use the gloss black base and go light. I've only used the Alclad gloss black base with metallizers to great results, but I've heard people using other airbrushed gloss black.

Blackchamber posted:

Oh MJP I think you might be my soul mate.

What could have been :( http://www.gundammodelkits.com/alter-almecha-160-rk-92-savage-preview.html

EDIT: Went on eBay to see what the robot spirits one was going for. $100+

Yeah, don't look at the actual model kit pricing. There's an Arbalest kit out there for around $140ish.

muike posted:

be strong brother, the Arm Slave line from Koto is not dead yet...

It's dead at HLJ and 1999 - if there's any not-dead parts, kindly link so I can fill a much-needed niche. I want my Cold War mecha ;_;

(D-Style doesn't count)

MJP fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Nov 5, 2014

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

If anyone was looking for one of those PERVY anime statues of Rinko Iori from Build Fighters I saw it was only $40/50 or so on HLJ while browsing the 'sale', down from $80 elsewhere.

Edit: I think the preorder is for February? I can't remember without looking in my order history.

Blackchamber fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Nov 5, 2014

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

So what types of paint dont melt gunpla?
I moved and finally have space to do full paintjobs .
Does normal plastic/abs and clear plastic make a difference?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012

Zedd posted:

So what types of paint dont melt gunpla?
I moved and finally have space to do full paintjobs .
Does normal plastic/abs and clear plastic make a difference?

You're good with pretty much whatever. ABS is pretty susceptible to thinner, so you want to make sure you don't mix in a ton of thinner, or really hot (see: automotive) thinner if you're spraying ABS. It IS possible to paint ABS with lacquer paint, but you need to prime first, and you have to be careful with the mix and make sure to do very thin coats. Once the primer is cured, you don't have to be nearly as careful with the actual paint. If you Regular polystyrene isn't so bad.

If wet lacquer thinner sits too long on ABS, it can make it brittle and crumble over time. Which, since you see it most in inner frames, is a bad thing.