Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I think most stuff you'd really want to paint a Gundam with will be fine. Acrylics and alcohol paints (I think) should be fine. If you want to use a special paint that melts plastic, there are also primers out there made for plastic which help prevent destruction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Suzaku posted:

New thread, new (crappy) backlog pictures. Not everything is visible, but you get the idea.

I really wish I had my time back and made the thread title Gunpla/Plamo Thread Mk.IV: Build your goddamn backlog!

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

TaurusOxford posted:

I really wish I had my time back and made the thread title Gunpla/Plamo Thread Mk.IV: Build your goddamn backlog!

Or Gunpla/Plamo Thread Mk.IV: Your backlog is mobilizing.

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012

TaurusOxford posted:

I was going to suggest Gunpla/Plamo Thread Mk.IV: Three Times the Backlog of Ordinary Threads but I missed the suggestion phase.

Suzaku fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Nov 5, 2014

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
Jesus, I have like 10 unbuilt kits, 7 of which are master grades and I thought I had problems.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I found the bestway to avoid a 10+ backlog is to only buy them at set times.I only buy around my birthday and summer when I pick them up at conventions. It's works pretty well.

... Although I may be sneaking up on having more then 10, because I've been working on cosplay lately, and dante's sword isn't going to build itself you guys.

Why must I get engrossed in the expensive and time consuming nerd hobbies :suicide:

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I try to wait for sales, hello MG 00 seven swords!

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

I use building stuff as a way to deal with stress. Naturally my backlog is empty and I'm waiting for my next paycheck biting my fingernails.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Gammatron 64 posted:

Jesus, I have like 10 unbuilt kits, 7 of which are master grades and I thought I had problems.

Current backlog:

Frame Arms Magatsuki (current project, but really needs the silver paint to pop)
Frame Arms Second Jive
HGBF Powered GM Cardigan
RG Strike Freedom

That's not a backlog for most people, I know, but I have a tiny flat with no space for more than that.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

If awaiting delivery counts as backlog, mine is only:

HG Grimoire
HG Z'gok-E

The HG Build Burning Gundam is calling to me though. I also want to get the HG Hygogg too, and decide what my MG is gonna be (I only have one shelf for gunpla, so my centerpiece will be an MG).

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

DigitalRaven posted:

Current backlog:

Frame Arms Magatsuki (current project, but really needs the silver paint to pop)
Frame Arms Second Jive
HGBF Powered GM Cardigan
RG Strike Freedom

That's not a backlog for most people, I know, but I have a tiny flat with no space for more than that.

Mine is the MG Unicorn, MG RX-78 3.0, MG Geara Doga, MG Heavy Arms, MG GP01fb, MG Sazabi ver. Ka, HG GM Sniper II, HG Geara Zulu, and a couple old Zoids kits I found at a con. I'm currently working on the MG Gundam X and I have it mostly assembled.

The local store also has an RE 1/100 Nightengale and a bunch of perfect grades and I'm tempted. I might ask for a PG Zaku II or RX-78 just to have a perfect grade.

I've also thought of getting the Mega Size Models just to have an enormous loving Zaku or Gundam.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

If awaiting delivery counts as backlog, mine is only:

HG Grimoire
HG Z'gok-E

The HG Build Burning Gundam is calling to me though. I also want to get the HG Hygogg too, and decide what my MG is gonna be (I only have one shelf for gunpla, so my centerpiece will be an MG).

Oh if we're counting incoming stuff I've got MG Unicorn and Red Frame Kai.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

TARDISman posted:

Oh if we're counting incoming stuff I've got MG Unicorn and Red Frame Kai.

Speaking about that, I'm going to be running my first Gundam club meeting today and I'm gonna work on the MG Unicorn as I stole the idea from Blitz Blast. Hopefully people actually show up.

I got the Unicorn on sale for $40 and I mostly got it so I wouldn't feel like I was the only person on earth not to have a Unicorn.

I like the look of the green frame way better than the red, but I didn't want to pay for the Full Armor which has a bunch of poo poo bolted on that I'll never want to use. I'm torn of I should paint the inner frame green or just leave it red. If I paint it green, it won't be transparent anymore.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Should have got the FA and just used the extra weapons as bonus equipment for your other models :eng101:

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

mr. stefan posted:

Should have got the FA and just used the extra weapons as bonus equipment for your other models :eng101:

Yeaaaahh... but for $40 on Amazon, I was like "that's so cheap I can't say no!"

Like a part of me wants to paint the psychoframe silver then clear green, but then it won't match my Nu ver. ka and that would bug me. Then again, some of my models are weathered and some are not so they don't match anyway...

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

MJP posted:

With Alclad's stuff you gotta use the gloss black base and go light.

I did. :ssh: The only reason I did four coats was because it was just as dim at two.

Honestly the best results I've ever gotten from the holographic finishes is the spectral chrome on a metallic. And that didn't actually give me a rainbow, it just made the metallic shiny as gently caress.

Gammatron 64 posted:

I'm torn of I should paint the inner frame green or just leave it red. If I paint it green, it won't be transparent anymore.

Paint it. The transparent parts look way darker than they should be except under heavy light, and there's no way to fix it since the MG was made before Bandai realized you have to back transparent pieces with silver foil stickers to make them pop.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Nov 5, 2014

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

BlitzBlast posted:

I did. :ssh: The only reason I did four coats was because it was just as dim at two.

Honestly the best results I've ever gotten from the holographic finishes is the spectral chrome on a metallic. And that didn't actually give me a rainbow, it just made the metallic shiny as gently caress.

How many coats of the base did you use? Alclad base or other? How heavy were the coats?

I've had nothing but success with Alclad in terms of the metallizers so far, curious as to your process to see if I can use the Maple spectral one for the Mercurius' beam saber.

Blackchamber posted:

If anyone was looking for one of those PERVY anime statues of Rinko Iori from Build Fighters I saw it was only $40/50 or so on HLJ while browsing the 'sale', down from $80 elsewhere.

Edit: I think the preorder is for February? I can't remember without looking in my order history.

It's a Feb. release date. Why is it that Aila and China are the only decent Build Fighters figures so far? The recently-announced Fumina one looks too goddamn :anime: to believe that anyone will buy it.

we're probably not gonna get a Gyanko figure :suicide:

MJP fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Nov 5, 2014

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Two light coats of Alclad Gloss Black Base. I have friends who have also tried to use alclad's holographic finishes, and it's pretty much universally agreed that they don't show up at all except under sunlight.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Urgh, the Masurao is such a pain to pose, due to it's ITTY BITTY FEET AND MASSIVE ARMS AND TORSO.

I wish I could do the old 40k trick of sticking pennies under it's feet.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
They gave you a stand with it for the reason that it can not possible stand on its own. Well it kinda can if you use that things on the back of the feet to hold the feet down. Just put it on its stand and never touch it.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

GG Infinite's started its holiday sale. 10% off on some webshop exclusives and action figures, and a measly 5% off the PG Unicorn preorders. Everything's still overpriced as hell. :geno:

I guess if you want a MG Norn or a RG Astraea F, it's better than nothing?

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

BlitzBlast posted:

Two light coats of Alclad Gloss Black Base. I have friends who have also tried to use alclad's holographic finishes, and it's pretty much universally agreed that they don't show up at all except under sunlight.

Ergh. I was hoping the maple finish would do good beam sabery things so I didn't have to worry about gradienting the Mercurius beam saber. D:

Back to actual Gunpla talk: I just pulled the trigger on the Miss Sazabi at HLJ, and got in on the backorder for the Command Gundam. With that and the Satan Gundam (it's strictly for the little goldplate Star of David it comes with for a really, really, really terrible idea) I'm basically getting three kits for the Miss Sazabi after taxes at Gundam Planet. JUST under 6000 yen to get SAL.

Qubeley Papillon's already done, so I'll be set for an all-Aila shelf once the figure drops in February.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

For those that have used SAL for shipping about how long does it take and have you ever had shipments damaged/ not show up?

Coming from the retro games thread it was pretty much EMS or bust but we were getting old electronics sent.

ChaiCalico fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Nov 5, 2014

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

madpanda posted:

For those that have used SAL for shipping about how long does it take and have you ever had shipments damaged/ not show up?

Coming from the retro games thread it was pretty much EMS or bust but we were getting old electronics sent.

I've only ever used SAL and it usually takes between one and two weeks (but I'm in Europe atm so results may vary) when I order from places like HLJ. Never any problems with damaged packages though.

AstraLunaSol
Mar 6, 2013

madpanda posted:

I'm in Canada, packages usually take 2-3 weeks to get here for me, and I live on the east coast. The only damaged box I had was one from HLJ where a side was crushed. My poor MG Strike Rouge RM. box was hurt, but the sprues were fine. It really depends on how your country likes to treat its parcels.

On another note, is it usual for HLJ to not protect the contents of the box with stuff like paper? Because my Rouge just had its box and nothing else.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

AstraLunaSol posted:

On another note, is it usual for HLJ to not protect the contents of the box with stuff like paper? Because my Rouge just had its box and nothing else.

About 1 in every 3 I get from them it's just loose in the box. :effort:

SAL to the east coast of the US is about 7-10 days with no damage in about 20 shipments to me.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
To add to the gently caress UK customs thing mentioned earlier, EMS from a shop (ie not marked as a gift) takes exactly as long to arrive as a SAL parcel, but with added fees for getting "rushed" through customs. I did EMS again recently because it was only £5 more than regular shipping and in the end all the fees and tax came out as an extra 60% of the worth of the goods. I wouldn't mind so much if they didn't tax the postage charge and just the value of the goods, I've already paid for it to go on a plane and be moved and you fuckers didn't have anything to do with that. If it's marked as a gift you'll generally get your EMS thing in 48-72 hours with no charges, I used to order stuff on ebay at like 1am Wednesday morning when I'd get paid and it would arrive on Friday.

Also it's only a backlog if you plan on building it! I think the alternative is "hoarding" though so maybe that's not so good.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
gently caress you latest episode of build fighters, now i gotta go buy some more stuff.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Fauxtool posted:

gently caress you latest episode of build fighters, now i gotta go buy some more stuff.

HG kits coming out in the next 30 days according to HLJ.com:

HG Montero (Crim Nike Custom)
Builders Parts HD: MS Armor 01
Builders Parts HD: MS Malin 01
HG Gundam G-Arcane
HGUC Crossbone Gundam X1
HGBF Lightning Gundam
HGBC Lightning Back Weapon System
HGBF Ez-SR
HGBC Ez-ARMS Parts
HGBF Beargguy F

They also have an Order Stop notice on the Beargguy F, meaning that they're not taking any additional orders on it until it's actually released, and only if they have any leftover after filling all the preorders.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

So the election got me a bit annoyed. Then I got drunk. Then I ordered the MG Unicorn off HLJ. I want to paint the psychoframe green, can someone give me a hand with picking a good shade/type/whatever?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Mr Color GX 205 Metallic Green over a gloss black base.

Mr Crystal Color Tourmaline Green if you want something fancy.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

BlitzBlast posted:

Mr Color GX 205 Metallic Green over a gloss black base.

Mr Crystal Color Tourmaline Green if you want something fancy.

Is 18 ml enough to paint the runners or should I grab 2?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I painted every single kind of psychoframe runner and still had half the pot left over.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Right, thanks for the help!

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

A Republican majority got me pretty depressed but hey my first Gundam club meet was a success! Thanks Blitz Blast or whoever the gently caress was doing it for giving me the idea so I could shamelessly steal it

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

A picture of a MG Gundam X is more than enough to satisfy me.

If we're posting club photos, here's a random dump of photos my club members took of us screwing around during a tabling session.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

BlitzBlast posted:

A picture of a MG Gundam X is more than enough to satisfy me.

If we're posting club photos, here's a random dump of photos my club members took of us screwing around during a tabling session.

I like the picture of the Unicorn looking at the Banshee like "The hell are you doing? We're in public." I'm working on a sitcom pilot now.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

The MG Gundam X's satellite cannon is so cool. It's really shiny and rainbow-y and the transformation is fun. First time I've ever said Ive enjoyed a gundam's transformation. Plus, after doing the Turn X and Nu ver Ka back to back, I needed a break from big, complicated kits. Had I done the Unicorn or Sazabi ver Ka next I would burn myself out.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gammatron 64 posted:

A Republican majority got me pretty depressed but hey my first Gundam club meet was a success! Thanks Blitz Blast or whoever the gently caress was doing it for giving me the idea so I could shamelessly steal it

whiny Dems got me down so I posed a model

I would prefer you keep your politics out of the thread. I like you guys and I dont want any reasons not to.

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Nov 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Fauxtool posted:

whiny Dems got me down so I posed a model

I would prefer you keep your politics out of the thread. I like you guys and I dont want any reasons not to.

Fair enough, it was just a dumb joke, I apologize.