Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
A friend informed me that Origin Time is providing the entire MG FA Unicorn plan B accessory pack for only $32.

I think I just died inside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

BlitzBlast posted:

A friend informed me that Origin Time is providing the entire MG FA Unicorn plan B accessory pack for only $32.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rX7wtNOkuHo

Me IRL.

Irisize
Sep 30, 2014

BlitzBlast posted:

Now you can have a budget version too!

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys
This night's effort...

A big pile of jim, ready for washing and priming tomorrow. For whatever reason the sprue for all the white parts was a weird teal color. Doesn't really matter because I'm going to paint it but anyone trying to do a snapbuild with this kit is going to get a weird final look.

I've learned a bit and picked up some new tools since I did that Zaku... I'm doing the double snip on the sprues which works way better and I picked up a set of Squadron Tools sanding sticks and a seam scraper that have really let me get at the nubs and seams easily. No accidental file or hobby knife gouges on this GM!

I would've started on this yesterday, but I decided to work on my pistol instead and spent an hour and a half chasing escaped springs around the room.

Tonight's gunpla was much more relaxing.

Polikarpov fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Nov 6, 2014

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I almost considered picking it up and turning my spare Banshee into a plan B as well, but that would just be stupid. Making a FA plan B Unicorn mode wouldn't work either, since it's not physically possible to have both the XC and the DE mount co-exist when they're folded up.

I'm not actually sure what to do with my Banshee honestly, so I just donated it to the club as a public domain kit. Maybe it can just be vanilla Destroy mode?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
What the hell is the double snip

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Literally The Worst posted:

its the wrong name for something that already has a name.
As long as everyone is having fun!

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys

Literally The Worst posted:

I guess I made up a dumb term for making a long cut and then a close cut to get the part off the sprue.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

My backlog:
Hguc banshee norn destroy mode.
Banshee head display base.

That's it :v: but i do have like 100 unplayed steam games.

Dire
Dec 31, 2007

Azipod posted:

A big pile of jim, ready for washing and priming tomorrow. For whatever reason the sprue for all the white parts was a weird teal color. Doesn't really matter because I'm going to paint it but anyone trying to do a snapbuild with this kit is going to get a weird final look.

Regular GMs aren't supposed to be white, though. The teal is in the original colour scheme.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Finally a use for my CMY paints without mixing

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

Yea if you look at the basic GM models only the II is pure white

http://www.dalong.net/review/hg/h131/h131_p.htm

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
Sorry for the political chat.

For my Unicorn, I wonder if I should use testor's metallic green, or just silver and spray clear green over it. I also wonder what would happen if you sprayed clear green over the clear pink plastic.

I also might just do the Heavyarms after the X too, because I'm doing a Wing watch through and I'm in Wing mode.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Gammatron 64 posted:

For my Unicorn, I wonder if I should use testor's metallic green, or just silver and spray clear green over it. I also wonder what would happen if you sprayed clear green over the clear pink plastic.

I used clear blue over silver for my custom paintjob, and it worked really well so green should go great. But that said, clear green over the pink might just work. I tried spraying clear blue over an extra set of beam sabers I had, and you couldn't even tell they were ever pink.

If you decide to try it on a runner, take a picture, because I might actually do the clear green over pink for the PG Unicorn I'll get eventually.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I used clear blue over silver for my custom paintjob, and it worked really well so green should go great. But that said, clear green over the pink might just work. I tried spraying clear blue over an extra set of beam sabers I had, and you couldn't even tell they were ever pink.

If you decide to try it on a runner, take a picture, because I might actually do the clear green over pink for the PG Unicorn I'll get eventually.

Yeah, I think I might experiment with clear green over the clear pink\red and see what happens. If it winds up being some horrible abomination, I can always just strip the paint off.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
What are some good paints that will run through an airbrush but also work with brushes? I know Tamiya don't get on with being brushed on, and Citadel works but I expect I can get cheaper than GW stuff.

And back to the GB gunpla chat, is HLJ still the way? Ebay/Amazon? What do I do to avoid customs charges?

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

BizarroAzrael posted:

What are some good paints that will run through an airbrush but also work with brushes? I know Tamiya don't get on with being brushed on, and Citadel works but I expect I can get cheaper than GW stuff.

And back to the GB gunpla chat, is HLJ still the way? Ebay/Amazon? What do I do to avoid customs charges?

Depends on where you live. In the US, Amazon's prices fall in line or end up being cheaper than shipping from Japan via EMS, especially if you have Prime. But, again, that's here in the states. AmiAmi is your best bet for preorders, but they have limited supply so you have to act early (some of the collectible toys like Robot Damashii and SH Figuarts will sell out almost immediately as soon as preorders go up). HLJ will generally have more stock, restocks relatively often, but I personally mainly use them for their clearance sales which are usually awesome.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

BizarroAzrael posted:

It's probably best to just choose whichever's cheapest/fastest based on your priorities and keep in mind how different retailers handle customs.

- Most big-time eBay stores like Tokyo-Hobby and J3-Hobby will do customs on your behalf. This usually leads to a higher shipping cost up-front, but also shields you from maybe having to pay a customs fee on your end + any 'handling fees' from Parcel Force or their pals.
- HLJ is completely honest to customs about the cost of items when they ship them and won't do customs fee-paying on your behalf, so each time you buy HLJ you run the risk of getting a customs bill (more likely on EMS shipping compared to SAL). However you're buying products valued in JPY rather than USD/GBP and the Yen is super-weak right now, so even customs charges might not be enough to make it more expensive than other routes.
- UK stores like Japan Cool, Gunpla UK and Gundam Mad are shipping products from a UK location to other UK locations so there's no customs risk at all there, but that usually translates to higher product cost.
- Amazon is super-dependent on the Amazon seller you use.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

BizarroAzrael posted:

Minitaire and Vallejo

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012

BizarroAzrael posted:

I wouldn't airbrush with GW stuff. I don't know about this latest formulation, but previous incarnations haven't thinned terribly well.

Vallejo is a good way to go. In addition to their Game Color and Model Color lines, they also make a Model Air line that is designed for airbrushing. They all thin reasonably well.

P3 and Reaper also thin well, which should let you airbrush pretty well, while also brushing on quite well.

You *can* handbrush Tamiya paints, but it's a bit more of a pain than with the above acrylics.

Personally, I'd go with Vallejo, specifically the Model Color and/or Model Air lines, for what you're wanting.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
So I see there's the "Robot Damashii, The Robot Spirits" line of figures. What about Fix Figuration? Which one tends to have better quality?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Revitalized posted:

So I see there's the "Robot Damashii, The Robot Spirits" line of figures. What about Fix Figuration? Which one tends to have better quality?

My experience with GFF is that they are more detailed but not as poseable. The GFF SERIES also has a bunch of things we'll never see in RD.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Oh yeah and while I'm finishing up my Red Astray (I found his swords at last! They were across my room somehow...), what's the difference between adhesive decals and water slide? It comes with both I think, and it's not immediately obvious to me why they come in the two forms.

Also I was watching a tutorial and it mentions something about a decal softener or something?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Waterslides need to be dunked in water to activate the decals. Then you just slide them off onto the plastic. There are two chemicals you can use afterwards, decal setter to speed up the drying process and improve the adhesion, and decal softener to slightly warp the decal so it conforms to nonstandard surfaces better. They're both basically the same chemical at different strengths, so just stick with setter.

Revitalized posted:

It's complicated. Fix Figuration is a technically dead line now, but it was a bunch of nonscale figures of Gundams whose designs were based off of Katoki's drawings. Each toy usually had an absolute poo poo ton of accessories (GFF Gundam X came with the parts for the regular GX, GX Divider, and a G-bit), but they were also super fragile and not very posable. They're also hellishly expensive.

The Robot Spirits is essentially the successor line, which branched out from just plain Gundam into all sorts of mecha anime. They're a lot more durable (though sometimes poo poo won't stay on well), and in recent years the articulation has improved dramatically. At the same time the accessory count has dropped significantly though; just look at the original RD Crossbone X2 Kai (came with a cape, a beam pistol, a buster launcher, a beam zanber, a beam shield, brand markers, beam sabers, a cloak, and a shot lancer) to the recent RD Crossbone X2 Kai Full Action (beam sabers, buster launcher, a bunch of blade hilts). Unlike model kits, RDs aren't constantly in production so if you miss a sales window it's either scalpers or hoping Bandai decides to do a reprint.

Katoki also has a line of personally designed RDs, which are usually webshop exclusives. And GFF Metal Composite is a really weird thing that is in the case of the RX-78-02 an amazingly detailed and hilariously expensive masterpiece, and in the case of the Unicorns literally just the MGs.

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

"My dear Seth, you look absolutely dashing!"

Hair Elf
Is the Extra Finish line even remotely worth bothering with? They look pretty neat, but the markup is pretty drat steep, and I can imagine hiding nubs/sanding marks is a right pain in the rear end.

Basically, please talk me out of preordering the RG Exia Extra Finish from Genteikits.

e: some pictures Dalong has up of them make the nubs very prominent in comparison to their normal counterparts.

Zwingley fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Nov 7, 2014

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I know it gets said every time a Dalong picture gets posted but oh my god those panel lines. :magical:

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Sanding isn't even an option with those kits. As to whether they're "worth it," that's ultimately a personal call. I think they're tacky as hell, myself.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Zwingley posted:

Is the Extra Finish line even remotely worth bothering with? They look pretty neat, but the markup is pretty drat steep, and I can imagine hiding nubs/sanding marks is a right pain in the rear end.

Basically, please talk me out of preordering the RG Exia Extra Finish from Genteikits.

e: some pictures Dalong has up of them make the nubs very prominent in comparison to their normal counterparts.

If you want a metallic finish so bad, you're honestly better off painting it yourself in my book. Not only do you not spend a fuckton of money on the kit, the nubs won't nearly be as visible.

Now the chrome and clear kits you can't exactly make on your own, but I'm not really into those, anyway.

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

"My dear Seth, you look absolutely dashing!"

Hair Elf
Fair enough to both of those points. Thank you for saving me many dollars. :shobon:

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

BlitzBlast posted:

Waterslides need to be dunked in water to activate the decals. Then you just slide them off onto the plastic. There are two chemicals you can use afterwards, decal setter to speed up the drying process and improve the adhesion, and decal softener to slightly warp the decal so it conforms to nonstandard surfaces better. They're both basically the same chemical at different strengths, so just stick with setter.

Ah I see. But why include both adhesive decals and water slide decals in the same set? Why not make them all one or the other?

KoB
May 1, 2009

MJP posted:

It's a Feb. release date. Why is it that Aila and China are the only decent Build Fighters figures so far? The recently-announced Fumina one looks too goddamn :anime: to believe that anyone will buy it.

Im not exactly sure you know the type of people to buy anime girl figurines but Im pretty sure its the right amount of :anime: to sell just fine to those people.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Revitalized posted:

Ah I see. But why include both adhesive decals and water slide decals in the same set? Why not make them all one or the other?

In the case of MG Red Frame, it's because the decals on the Tactical Arms are so drat big that a rub-on wouldn't really be feasible. Or at least that's my best guess.

Speaking of that, I checked just to make sure and yep, MG Red Frame doesn't have waterslides. The green sheet you were presumably talking about is just a set of stickers.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
Have they ever released a MG SD kit before? Because I'd totally shell out for a MG Winning, doubly so if it transforms into a giant fist for the MG Build Burning.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

KoB posted:

Im not exactly sure you know the type of people to buy anime girl figurines but Im pretty sure its the right amount of :anime: to sell just fine to those people.

I resale bishoujo scale figures for a hobby and I can easily say that it will sell just fine. Worse stuff has sold really well like the Rinko Iori. i wonder why (boobs)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Speaking of Robot Damashii; The Xi and Penelope are coming.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

RDvKa Xi was released a while ago, the new RDvKa Penelope just comes with a missile pack for the Xi.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Got an e-mail from HLJ earlier that my Lightning Gundam is now in my Private Warehouse and ready for shipping. I also ordered the Ez-SR at the same time, but didn't receive a notice about that one; checking the HLJ page for the Ez-SR mentions that it's not coming out until the 30th. Does Bandai actually wait until the last day of the month to release certain kits, or is it more likely that they're just waiting until after the actual episode with the Ez-SR airs next week?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

W.T. Fits posted:

Got an e-mail from HLJ earlier that my Lightning Gundam is now in my Private Warehouse and ready for shipping. I also ordered the Ez-SR at the same time, but didn't receive a notice about that one; checking the HLJ page for the Ez-SR mentions that it's not coming out until the 30th. Does Bandai actually wait until the last day of the month to release certain kits, or is it more likely that they're just waiting until after the actual episode with the Ez-SR airs next week?

I think that's a generic "some time this month" listing, because Bandai's New-Release Calendar has it coming on the 15th.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Apparently Plamoya has the Robot Damashii Rk-92: http://plamoya.com/en/robot-spirits-side-as-savage-sand-color-bandai-robot-spirits-ful-p-11583.html?cPath=143_1019

Someone please tell me that it's as dumb an idea to plunk down $90 on a six-inch metal robot toy as it would be to plunk down $300ish on the Konig Monster from Macross Frontier :-(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
there's no metal in it and it's not 6 inches tall, really