Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Broken Loose posted:

Have they ever released a MG SD kit before? Because I'd totally shell out for a MG Winning, doubly so if it transforms into a giant fist for the MG Build Burning.

Nope, the closest they've gotten to that is the Musha which was originally an SD, then turned into regular proportions for Dynasty Warriors Gundam. Then that got a release. Winning getting the same treatment is exceedingly unlikely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Zwingley posted:

Is the Extra Finish line even remotely worth bothering with? They look pretty neat, but the markup is pretty drat steep, and I can imagine hiding nubs/sanding marks is a right pain in the rear end.

Basically, please talk me out of preordering the RG Exia Extra Finish from Genteikits.

e: some pictures Dalong has up of them make the nubs very prominent in comparison to their normal counterparts.

Never. Nubs (and often seams) are prominent and unfixable because Bandai never redesigns the runners to undergate them (except I think the 1/100 NG Akatsuki). I built the Strike Freedom MG Extra Finish a couple of years ago and that's the last one I pay for - I have a couple other Extra Finish kits in my inventory but will probably just give them away.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

MJP posted:

Apparently Plamoya has the Robot Damashii Rk-92: http://plamoya.com/en/robot-spirits-side-as-savage-sand-color-bandai-robot-spirits-ful-p-11583.html?cPath=143_1019

Someone please tell me that it's as dumb an idea to plunk down $90 on a six-inch metal robot toy as it would be to plunk down $300ish on the Konig Monster from Macross Frontier :-(

I struggle with plunking down that kind of cash too. When I was in Hong Kong I remember seeing a bunch of Damashii for sale near ladies market (the 3 story building of toy stores with the official hot toys store in it) and they were all like 40 or less. Not bootlegs or anything. I should have loaded up (I only grabbed a second Arbalest) instead of going crazy with Hot Toys. They had Gunpla in the Toysrus too and they were dirt cheap. So even though I have no immediate plans to be there again, in the back of my head it bothers me that I pay such a large markup and I've sort of limited myself to what I'm willing to plunk down in one go.

Strangely enough though I think you should buy it... then sell it to me later for much less when you need some quick cash :P

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

My first UC suit finished!

HGUC Z'gok E.

(And as always when you photograph a gunpla, just notice a big ol' nub. Left arm.)

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Kotobukiya Gurren Lagann Fulldrillized Mode: http://imgur.com/M43LT5L,Uay2bjT,IHHS96C,38TKE1n,g07AaxU

While i'll never buy the SRC GL cause I think the proportions on it are god-awful, the Drillset of Manliness add-on was super worth it.

Yes, all those drills(minus the obvious Giga Drills) are super-glued on. Yes, i'm terrified to touch him now.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10152428257636897.1073741878.382602901896&type=1

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck I can't afford it right now.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

My first UC suit finished!

HGUC Z'gok E.

(And as always when you photograph a gunpla, just notice a big ol' nub. Left arm.)

Nice i've been thinking of picking this up to add to my aqua suits. Looks a lot less grey than on the dalong shots.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Don't be fooled, it's pretty much straight grey.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Hey here's a question: What happens if a package I ordered from HLJ gets marked return to sender, because my mailman is a stupid idiot.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Literally The Worst posted:

Hey here's a question: What happens if a package I ordered from HLJ gets marked return to sender, because my mailman is a stupid idiot.

Call your post-office.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Mecha Gojira posted:

Call your post-office.

Already did that, but because I did it uhhh....SAL? The one with no tracking number, there's no way to find out if it came through. It was just a marker, I'm just trying to figure out if it'll get sent back and I'll get refunded, if I'm just straight up out five bucks, what's going on.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Welp, my very first Gunpla is here.

Guess that'll be the project for the weekend, then.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
With thanks to the goons who responded in the SA-mart thread request, I think I'm the first person in the USA with these bad boys.

Now to not bring them home for fear of the wife discovering the Beargguy, which is for Xmas :ohdear:

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Mecha Gojira posted:

Call your post-office.

Actually, if it is international mail the post office can't stop the return once it has left your local post office. When I moved to my new house I had the same thing happen, the mailman returned something shipped to me from Japan without even attempting to deliver it. I caught it the next day, but by then it had left my local office and so I had to wait for it to get back to Japan and then be reshipped. I was pretty livid.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

Does anyone have experience using these pens for panel lining? They come in smaller tip sizes than the microns and are significantly cheaper. The first one is acid free, not sure about the second.

http://www.dickblick.com/products/pelikan-techno-liner-pens/
http://www.dickblick.com/products/marvy-uchida-lepen-technical-drawing-pens/

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

madpanda posted:

Does anyone have experience using these pens for panel lining? They come in smaller tip sizes than the microns and are significantly cheaper. The first one is acid free, not sure about the second.

http://www.dickblick.com/products/pelikan-techno-liner-pens/
http://www.dickblick.com/products/marvy-uchida-lepen-technical-drawing-pens/

I've got a Copic Multiliner that comes in a .003mm nib. It's done nothing but great stuff. Same alcohol/water-wipe to clean up.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Bimmi posted:

Don't be fooled, it's pretty much straight grey.

Yeah, it must just be dodgy lighting, it's basically monochrome except the red and orange parts.

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

"My dear Seth, you look absolutely dashing!"

Hair Elf

MJP posted:

With thanks to the goons who responded in the SA-mart thread request, I think I'm the first person in the USA with these bad boys.

Now to not bring them home for fear of the wife discovering the Beargguy, which is for Xmas :ohdear:

Man, I wish I'd seen that thread. :negative: The Beargguy would have made a good Christmas present from me, too.

What action base should I be using for RGs? There's no way in hell the Destiny nor the Strike Freedom are standing up on their own. GP bases don't work without a connector that doesn't seem to be supplied (I could be wrong about this), so Action Base 2?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Zwingley posted:

What action base should I be using for RGs?

For 1/144 kits, Action Base 2 is always the way to go.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
What Build Fighters kits should I avoid? As in, "not as good as"; I ordered Burning Gundam and Ral's R35 Gouf.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Ka0 posted:

What Build Fighters kits should I avoid? As in, "not as good as"; I ordered Burning Gundam and Ral's R35 Gouf.

Qubeley Papillion is pretty not good since it's based off the HGUC Qubeley, a 15 year old kit and it's also about 50% stickers. I haven't heard anything good about the HG Build Mk-II although the MG is pretty terrific.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

The HG Build Mk-II was my first gunpla. Other than the V-fin stickers being awful, it's not terrible. Tricky to get it standing with the backpack attached though.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

TaurusOxford posted:

For 1/144 kits, Action Base 2 is always the way to go.

Isn't action base 1 the same price? I took the arm off another action base 1 and have 2 arms on one base. You can even use the bases to make bigger bases.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
If I get a set of .20mm Microns, should I even bother getting that .10mm one on Dick Blick unless I'm like the most autistic dude alive?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Tenzarin posted:

Isn't action base 1 the same price? I took the arm off another action base 1 and have 2 arms on one base. You can even use the bases to make bigger bases.

AB2s can be combined together too. Also, AB1s are kinda overkill for a 1/144 kit unless you need one kit considerably higher off the ground for some sort of diorama shot.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

If I get a set of .20mm Microns, should I even bother getting that .10mm one on Dick Blick unless I'm like the most autistic dude alive?

edit: I don't see one offered in that size? The .20mm nib is still kind of thick IMO but I'm not a fan of Microns in general.

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Nov 7, 2014

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Bimmi posted:

edit: I don't see one offered in that size? The .20mm nib is still kind of thick IMO but I'm not a fan of Microns in general.

What do you recommend over Gundam Markers?

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

What do you recommend over Gundam Markers?

I still think that the tamya panel line stuff is the best. Super small brush, lasts forever, easy cleanup.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Gundam Markers suit me fine for panel lining, though that's pretty much all they're good for. I also use thinned acrylics where appropriate and it works well enough.

Hadn't heard of the Tamiya stuff before: looks interesting but is apparently not recommended for use on bare plastic.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

Bimmi posted:

Think hes talking about the other pens dick blick has which come in smaller sizes.

.20 is ok for most stuff, and is smaller than gundam markers which makes getting into tiny places easier. However its still not small enough. Wasn't usable at all on turn a mg really so i went with the pour type marker. those .1 or .03 might have been small enough.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Monaghan posted:

I still think that the tamya panel line stuff is the best. Super small brush, lasts forever, easy cleanup.

Is it paint, because I can't paint. I don't have any space to do painting or anywhere to store paint right now.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Anyone got the HGUC Zssa?

If so, how was it to build? How is it to pose?

Cause that is a drat fine design. Macrossian in it's missilitude.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Looking at the Dalong review and it's a bit of a brick as you would expect, it has some neat details like hydraulic pistons that slide out when you open the leg missile compartments. But it also has quite a lot of stickers including the missile heads on the arms, the black bits around the wrists, some of the dark green on the chest, the light green bits on the backpack including a lot of curved surfaces and all of the red bits at the joints. It does look pretty stable in spite of that huge backpack. Also, the large missile compartments are just empty on the inside when tilted up so they look awful in that position, but I expect you would have them facing forward 99% of the time so it's not much of an issue.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Think I've reconsidered actually. After the fairly stationary Z'gok-E, I want something more dynamic.

As well as waiting on the Grimoire I bought, I'm gonna buy the HGBF Build Burning :getin:

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

Building my first MG (Sinanju) and also made my first real mistake in building, by shaving off a little connector bit when I only was supposed to take off a nub. It's completely insignificant (it's a clear green piece that I think is the eye, not like a critical arm joint or something) and would be fixed completely with glue (if I had any) but ahhhhh i'm a faiiiiilure

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Yeah, I showed off mine in the old thread.

Myself from the old thread posted:

The Zssa. It doesn't pose well, but that's because it only needs one. Also the arms will pop out if you try to tilt the shoulders forward or back because of how thick they are. The Booster has a hole for an action base tab, so you place it looking like it's flying beside the Zssa itself.

It's also quite long thanks to the tail on the Booster, so you'll need a fairly large surface area for it.

It's not going to do anything dynamic, but god drat does it look good just sitting with the missile pods open :allears:. The only thing to note is the nipple launchers aren't on a hinge, you just remove the piece and change which tab on it slots into the body.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
Oh jeez... so I might have a teensy Robot Damashii problem...

I also got this cabinet for my MGs for $10!

I need a better camera than an iphone.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

Aaa, what line are those giant sd's? I saw the rx-78 for $50 but couldn't find any information on it without knowing what to search for. Also how is that gouf MG. I've been considering it for my 2nd.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Are you talking about this SD RX-78-2? http://www.hlj.com/product/BAN960227/Gun

The MG Gouf is a good kit. Just make sure you buy the 2.0, and not the original.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Oh neat,

RD God Gundam (on the right) is almost exactly 1/144 scale. Hell the only difference is due to a redesign, so it basically is. The rest of the RDs should also be close, so this is the closest we'll ever get to the HGFC line we all dream of.

poo poo, how did I go from buying model kits to buying action figures