Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Bandai waterslides tend to be really thick and kind of rigid, and take a lot of soaking to activate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Razor Jacksuit
Mar 31, 2007

VEES RULE #1

Mr Teatime posted:

By the way are official Bandai water slides just…not great? I’ve got plenty of experience with decals on models but these ones just seem lacklustre to work with, not unusable by any stretch but just worse than I was expecting. I did get a 3rd party set for the other kit I got with this one so I’m hoping for a better time.

As an absolute beginner with no other frame of reference, they seemed perfectly fine to me. I recently built the P-Bandai Sleggar's GM and used the included water slides, followed the instructions exactly, and couldn't understand why people had been warning about them.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

they're just thicker so you need to put more effort into soaking them and getting them firmly adhered especially on uneven surfaces. they're more prone to peeling after drying if you slip up

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

full mechanics 1/100 witch from mercury gundam just went up on p-bandai. figured folks would want to know since it's popular rn and likely to sell out quick

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I looked through a Hobby Lobby and another local store to find some decal setter to solve the issue of a decals coming off the MG I just finished after I touch them. I didn’t have any luck, except one place had a bottle of Tamiya Mark Fit Strong. That is more of a softener than a setter, right?

Mark Setter and Softer cost less separately than they do together on Amazon, weird.

Before all this, I should have asked, since I already put those decals on, is it just too late to bother? I said in a previous post re-wetting them works surprisingly well, so I’d assume some setter would help more, though not as much as if I’d done it from the start.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Dr Christmas posted:

I looked through a Hobby Lobby and another local store to find some decal setter to solve the issue of a decals coming off the MG I just finished after I touch them. I didn’t have any luck, except one place had a bottle of Tamiya Mark Fit Strong. That is more of a softener than a setter, right?

Mark Setter and Softer cost less separately than they do together on Amazon, weird.

Before all this, I should have asked, since I already put those decals on, is it just too late to bother? I said in a previous post re-wetting them works surprisingly well, so I’d assume some setter would help more, though not as much as if I’d done it from the start.

no I've done some post-surgery. moisten the underside and put a spot of setter there, reapply and get all the moisture out, then put another brush of setter on top. should help

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
You're supposed to put mark softer / micro-sol over top of the decal anyways.

Severedseven
Jun 6, 2007

Heavy and light
It's been a long time since I've built a kit (for me). I helped my kid build an aerial kit and a Suletta figure and now I suddenly want a Zaku. I'm not particular about which version (Char's or normal or whatever), I'd just like it to be a reasonable price ($50 USD or less) and have a good quality. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Severedseven posted:

It's been a long time since I've built a kit (for me). I helped my kid build an aerial kit and a Suletta figure and now I suddenly want a Zaku. I'm not particular about which version (Char's or normal or whatever), I'd just like it to be a reasonable price ($50 USD or less) and have a good quality. Does anyone have any recommendations?

the HG Origins zaku II is p solid. that was my first model

E: photos

Buck Wildman fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Mar 31, 2024

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Queadlunn posted:

Is that Chu Chu?

She's got a...

...OH GOD, RUN!!!

The mecha series crossover we needed.

Phantombane
Sep 29, 2021

Marx Headroom posted:

This was very helpful, thank you so much!! I've painted a lot of Battletech minis but I had no idea about Heavy Gear Blitz and that looks like a lot of fun. GWS prices stink but I might have to hold my nose for those Tau figures once I run out of ideas.

I did some more digging and found these Front Mission kits that also fit the bill:

Happy to have been of some help! Those front mission kits are pretty cool too, nice find.

In other general news, my MG Rick Dias came in and everything looks good. When it arrived I was immediately hit with the recognition that due to having ordered all of my kits online or having bought them from retailers that don't stock MGs I had never actually seen a MG box in person before. I wasn't really prepared for just how large it would be! It's not a problem, but it was certainly a surprise.

Skrillmub
Nov 22, 2007

Severedseven posted:

As already said, the best HG Zakus are the Origin line. $20-$25.
If you want more detail, the best RG choice would be Johnny Ridden's Zaku. Which doesn't seem to have gotten a reprint in a while. People will tell you the RG Char's or mass production Zakus are bad, but there's no such thing as a bad Zaku. Just be careful and patient if you get one of those. $30.
If you want an MG, all the 2.0s are pretty much the same thing in different colours. They're not the best if just judging them as MGs, but again, no such thing as a bad Zaku. They should be around $45.

Be aware that the piping frustration increases as the grade complexity increases. If you go with MG just ignore the instructions that tell you to push each bead all the way off the runner onto the pipe. Just cut the drat runner. Bandai is hyper paranoid about people loosing a Zaku bead for some reason.

Skrillmub fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Mar 31, 2024

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

One more suggestion for Origin HG Zakus, they're really good builds.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

SDCS Zaku if you can find one.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Really hope a retail release comes out for that AOZ-style HiZack High Grade. It's an honorary Zaku

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

I haven't done an HG Origin kit yet, but the HG Witch from Mercury kits are also really nice builds. I'm comparing those to mostly standard HG UC kits.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Arc Hammer posted:

Really hope a retail release comes out for that AOZ-style HiZack High Grade. It's an honorary Zaku

I've got football zaku in my backlog

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Queadlunn posted:

Is that Chu Chu?

She's got a...

...OH GOD, RUN!!!

Goddamn, is that the Koenig Monster?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Skrillmub posted:

As already said, the best HG Zakus are the Origin line. $20-$25.
If you want more detail, the best RG choice would be Johnny Ridden's Zaku. Which doesn't seem to have gotten a reprint in a while. People will tell you the RG Char's or mass production Zakus are bad, but there's no such thing as a bad Zaku. Just be careful and patient if you get one of those. $30.
If you want an MG, all the 2.0s are pretty much the same thing in different colours. They're not the best if just judging them as MGs, but again, no such thing as a bad Zaku. They should be around $45.

Be aware that the piping frustration increases as the grade complexity increases. If you go with MG just ignore the instructions that tell you to push each bead all the way off the runner onto the pipe. Just cut the drat runner. Bandai is hyper paranoid about people loosing a Zaku bead for some reason.

The 2.0's generally seen as a pretty decent MG even by modern standards. Some good gimmicks, plenty of detail, solid articulation, mostly pleasant builds, beads aside. Sure, there's better, but the Zaku II is a solid baseline kit.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
I like the MG Zaku 2.0 enough that I built a second one. I'd suggest at least trying the piping the way Bandai intended because I've never had any trouble with it. You can always cut it apart if you don't like it but I don't know how that would be easier or faster.

Cat Hatter posted:

I've built two MG Zaku 2.0s and either I'm a genetic freak or everyone else is doing it wrong. Here's what I do:

1. Grab the far end of the pipe with normal vice-grips so you have something to pull against*
  2. Put a pair of regular needle nose pliers just past a bead(or two!) and close them almost enough to grab the pipe but not quite
  3. Use the side of the jaws to push the bead off instead of trying to squeeze the bead hard enough to slide it off with friction
  4. Repeat
  5. Optional: Decide the needle nose pliers are too slow and use the same technique to just push the beads off two at a time with your bare fingers like I do

*Technically you don't need the vice-grips but it saves a ton of hand strength to not need to keep squeezing the pipe and you can put that energy into something more productive.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

For what it's worth I tried to do it the Bandai-approved way and it simply didn't work on my kit, the beads wouldn't unstick from the sprue with any amount of shear force I applied to singles or pairs. It may be sensitive to humidity, temperature, or other environmental conditions or it could be manufacturing tolerances stacking up.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I haven't built a 2.0 Zaku yet so I'm in that schrodinger's liminal state of thinking its not as bad as people say and not knowing how bad it might actually be.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Mar 31, 2024

Skrillmub
Nov 22, 2007

I just finished building this thing:

and it was incredible. Probably my favourite kit yet.
It's the ZA Model / Zero Gravity version of Zoids' Death Stinger. I've seen people call it a knockoff of the Koto kit, but it's more like a major refinement. Comparing it to the Koto listing on Dalong, this kit isn't just bigger, it's a major upgrade in terms of complexity, parts separation, details and articulation.
Look at this:

all of that is part separation.
All of the armour parts can slide off in some way to show the inner frame if you want to see it. The claws can bend in like four ways, the legs have three points of articulation, the head moves and opens up, the bottom of the body has thrusters that can open up, the tail jaws and guns move. It's amazing.
1/144 scale for comparison. It's gigantic.
If anyone ever sees one of these for sale, but it right away.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

SD Sazabi with p-bandai backpack thingamajigs and kung fu grip. not the best lighting unfortunately, and he's really back-heavy so I've got to lean him forward a bit

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

that scorpion is bananas. I have the mg polypodball to do at some point so I can have my own big weird guy

Queadlunn
Dec 10, 2005

Yak Deculture!
Fallen Rib

Phy posted:

Goddamn, is that the Koenig Monster?

It's the VF Girls kit: https://www.hlj.com/macross-delta-vb-6-konig-monster-aos06428. I'm probably gonna display it with just the Monster, the pilots aren't horrible but goddamn the outfits need work to not be silly.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/Dragonhorse_inc/status/1774965180843307453?t=oZG2vvcsBuGE7i2e_qWw_w&s=19

Gatdam that's a pretty model.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Shinji's thicc mom

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/t_features/status/1774980113186369883
Oh my god. It's not April 1 over in Japan anymore this thing is real.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/BandaiHobbyUS/status/1775191927983325629?t=E7LXlnNKRoar2BiZenxbNA&s=19

Check it, looks nice.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

lol oh noooooo I thought that I'd be done with my quebley damned tonight but I noticed at the last second before topcoating that I forgot to line one piece. oh well tomorrow

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

looks boss af gonna have my eye out

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/vQULsHE3fTmcgaF/status/1775009298797691352

Lol 800 yen for a Michaelis they still have so many of them.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Arc Hammer posted:

https://twitter.com/vQULsHE3fTmcgaF/status/1775009298797691352

Lol 800 yen for a Michaelis they still have so many of them.

I got one for Christmas, it's a good kit.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
MG Ball is done.

HG Gold Acguy from my trip to Japan a decade ago is next. This kit has been in my backlog the longest.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Kibner posted:

MG Ball is done.

I was trying to make a joke about playing with your ball in public. But.. something funnier came up. The hg ball comes in a twin set. You litterally build, and assemble a set of balls.

... I have my Ver.Ka in the garage, if it's that pretty, I might acutally move it up the list.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Nerobro posted:

I was trying to make a joke about playing with your ball in public. But.. something funnier came up. The hg ball comes in a twin set. You litterally build, and assemble a set of balls.

... I have my Ver.Ka in the garage, if it's that pretty, I might acutally move it up the list.

It's that pretty. One of the oldest MGs that really holds up.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
All I did was panel line it, btw. The arms are made of a different plastic than the body. Really, it uses like 4 or 5 different kinds of plastic. Along with a couple metal rods and a couple lengths of wire (both used in the arms). It was a very nice mix of materials to work with and helped keep the cleaning and assembly interesting.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

MG Quebley Damned donezo

I liked this one, very different from the others - simple, sleek design that makes for a great profile. I've ordered some action bases and will deffo be getting him up in the air once they arrive. I had really wanted to do black lining on him but it didn't show up well against the stark white plastic without some serious work, so I switched to gray which blended much more nicely but didn't have that dynamic contrast I was hoping for. c'est la vie

and the winner for Worst Thing with this model is....These loving Guys

these guys, these loving guys. tiny, sharp-pointed cones that had to be laboriously fitted onto little pc plastic balls that you fit into the opposite end. the sticks on the balls constantly moved around which made it hard to get leverage and whenever you pressed but misaligned it would squish and deform the pc which only made it harder to retry. and the whole time you're pressing hard on the needle end which is digging into your thumb. so much trouble and pain for a completely irrelevant level of articulation when a static hard plastic peg would have worked so much better

anywho, guess I better do this one next if we're sticking to a theme:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nexas
Sep 4, 2009

nope

Buck Wildman posted:

full mechanics 1/100 witch from mercury gundam just went up on p-bandai. figured folks would want to know since it's popular rn and likely to sell out quick

Just out of curiosity, how is the full mechanics Aerial as a kit? I enjoyed building the Lfrith and Calibarn but never got a chance to grab a Aerial kit when they were available at my local shop. Should I pick a FM up or should I wait for an inevitable MG release?