Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

If you're airbrushing it also depends on whether you can fully vent out the fumes as to whether you should use acrylic or lacquer too, though acrylic is not as non-toxic as many would like to believe either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Schwarzwald posted:

I'm plan to get back into modeling, and I'm hoping to get into painting. Is there a good list of what brands to buy from / how colors will look after painted on / what colors will look good together?

I'm certain I've seen this information before, but now that I actually need it I don't have any clue where to find it.

Also, because I'm smart and I respect my limitations I'm planning on using a glossy black. What kind of hell am I getting into?

there are a several major brands, usually people vary between miniatures / model paint lines. which there's Vallejo, Tamiya, Pro Acryl, Citadel, Army Painter and Reaper. there are other brands but those are the ones I'm most familiar with

as for how they'll look painted there should be some YouTube's with each paint line showing how they'll look over primed models. pick whichever color range you like

as for what goes well together that's a very large question but the cheat code is use sports teams colorways. let some other nerd do all the color theory work for you. there are color picker apps that also let you pick a primary color and it'll give you variations on schemes from there

personally I've switched to using Pro Acryl's in the past month and I love them. great coverage and I like their screw cap bottles

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Marx Headroom posted:

You planning to airbrush or hand paint? Do you have any examples of paint jobs that inspire you?

Hand paint, and basically no :lol:

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

as for how they'll look painted there should be some YouTube's with each paint line showing how they'll look over primed models. pick whichever color range you like

as for what goes well together that's a very large question but the cheat code is use sports teams colorways. let some other nerd do all the color theory work for you. there are color picker apps that also let you pick a primary color and it'll give you variations on schemes from there

Designing a color scheme from scratch isn't really what I'm worried about. I've ordered the Moderoid Viola Katze, and I from what I've seen a lot of its parts of unpainted and its base black is kind of mid. I'm mostly aiming to have it more closely resemble how it looked in show.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Schwarzwald posted:

Designing a color scheme from scratch isn't really what I'm worried about. I've ordered the Moderoid Viola Katze, and I from what I've seen a lot of its parts of unpainted and its base black is kind of mid. I'm mostly aiming to have it more closely resemble how it looked in show.

not familiar with it personally but looking at references online it's basically that dark neutral gray, dark warm grey, magenta and fluorescent green

pretty much all the major lines will tell you they got ya covered, but does that model not come with a paint guide on what they used?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Schwarzwald posted:

Get some plastic spoons and practice on those. Lighting (edit: and PRIMER COLOR, watch some videos on the pros/cons of using black vs gray vs white vs pink vs brown primers) is going to have a big effect on how things look, and if you get really into the weeds, colors on your computer screen won't necessarily match the color in real life, let alone whatever is on the bottle.

Don't sweat the exact color, do what looks good to your eye, even while color-matching. I definitely made the colors for my Messer too dark, but I like the colors themselves (the finish, on the other hand, lmao, I hosed the finish so bad).

Practice thinning your paint so that when you paint those plastic spoons it goes on nice and even and doesn't leave brush marks. Future you will thank you. Watch this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBDVPoNXyVI

I'm working with Army Painter's new Fanatic line, which I'm finding to work well for my Millennium Falcon, but the brand is pretty interchangeable at your level. You're not going to be debating how bad the pigment density of Corax White is on forums anytime soon. But I'd stick with water based acrylic for now, as those are the easiest to work with. Army Painter, Vallejo, Reaper, AK, and Citadel all do those just fine (but Citadel will have you mortgaging your home because Games Workshop wants your money).

Warmachine fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Apr 16, 2024

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I gotta know how many of those they actually sold.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

lol what a grift

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Lol, it's literally the same paint as the "Iron Blood Coating" HG Barbatos Gundams.

boz
Oct 16, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Lol, it's literally the same paint as the "Iron Blood Coating" HG Barbatos Gundams.

The page says it's actually made of metal

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

IIRC, it's machined titanium. It's not a coating.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Oh it does too, my bad I missed that. :doh:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

>Get box that says Gunpla
>Look inside
>Metal

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

The name "Gunma" is already in use.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

griftpla

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
THey're all separate and individually packaged? Not buying it until the reissue that comes with a water jet cutter so you can slice the individual pieces off the solid steel runners

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

THey're all separate and individually packaged? Not buying it until the reissue that comes with a water jet cutter so you can slice the individual pieces off the solid steel runners

The Shining Gundam metal kit is sold on the runner with no cutter. You're expected to remove the pieces using your mastery of martial arts.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

2000 yen that seems cheap.

*looks again*

Oh.

OH.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Finally, they could produce something sharper and more damaging than freshly cut plastic.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
I’m guessing they sold out quick, how many did they sell to people who actually intended to keep/built it? Probably not too many.

Judging from what I’m seeing on eBay paying 2k for one was a bad investment.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Nah bandai should double down and print a gundam made of diamond or something next.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

zelah posted:

I’m guessing they sold out quick, how many did they sell to people who actually intended to keep/built it? Probably not too many.

Judging from what I’m seeing on eBay paying 2k for one was a bad investment.

If I recall correctly they didn't close sales early so they didn't sell out capacity.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Big fan of presenting your expensive product with a bunch of cracks and blemishes from the runner connections

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Nuebot posted:

Nah bandai should double down and print a gundam made of diamond or something next.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Nuebot said diamond, not spearmint toothpaste. :v:

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

luminous crystal booty

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Well, I've had it sitting in a box for uh, 4 moves, and before this week haven't worked on it since 2018 but finally at least got the main body done, and some real batteries for it.

maybe i'll even finish the rest of the kit this decade

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/t_features/status/1780400823601901759?t=_qyyNpXB3VYraSEv9Azy9w&s=19

More Armored Core 6

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

:swoon:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

OH drat OH GODDAMN OH gently caress

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

(thats a robot damashii figure not a model kit)

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Close enough

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Hopefully they'll make a model kit. But also they should make one of walter.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Forget Walter we need Michigan.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Dafeng Student Pilot just wanted to be a real AC pilot.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

Forget Walter we need Michigan.

Osawa in a multi-pack with Albany and Kennebec.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

chiasaur11 posted:

Osawa in a multi-pack with Albany and Kennebec.

The MT designs are so simple you probably could make it a 3-pack

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Well, I've had it sitting in a box for uh, 4 moves, and before this week haven't worked on it since 2018 but finally at least got the main body done, and some real batteries for it.

maybe i'll even finish the rest of the kit this decade

Owns

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy
I’ve been building the HG Calibarn the last few days. Really neat kit, fun build and it looks cool.

I was almost disappointed how little cleanup I had to do, no seams or mold lines and there wasn’t much for me to color correct/paint.

Backpack boosters and bustle: I got u fam

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

pretty much all the major lines will tell you they got ya covered, but does that model not come with a paint guide on what they used?

It probably does, but I'm going to want to give it a few tweaks. At the least, a glossier black. Maybe play with a metallic color on some highlights just to see how they work.

Warmachine posted:

Get some plastic spoons and practice on those. Lighting (edit: and PRIMER COLOR, watch some videos on the pros/cons of using black vs gray vs white vs pink vs brown primers) is going to have a big effect on how things look, and if you get really into the weeds, colors on your computer screen won't necessarily match the color in real life, let alone whatever is on the bottle.

[...]

I'm working with Army Painter's new Fanatic line, which I'm finding to work well for my Millennium Falcon, but the brand is pretty interchangeable at your level. You're not going to be debating how bad the pigment density of Corax White is on forums anytime soon. But I'd stick with water based acrylic for now, as those are the easiest to work with. Army Painter, Vallejo, Reaper, AK, and Citadel all do those just fine (but Citadel will have you mortgaging your home because Games Workshop wants your money).

Kick rear end, thanks.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Apr 17, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Schwarzwald posted:

It probably does, but I'm going to want to give it a few tweaks. At the least, a glossier black. Maybe play with a metallic color on some highlights just to see how they work.

Kick rear end, thanks.

oh for sure, I just meant they'd let you know which paint line they used :cheers: