Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
What's up with p-bandai? It's been in maintenance for like four days now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

someone must have tried to buy the 2000$ alloy rx 78 and crashed the whole thing

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
so for cutting the nubs off, I saw a video that explains it can be done with an exacto knife or you could use sand paper instead. Which is the preferred method? I'm a bit nervous about using the knife and screwing up a part

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Best is a combination of both. Cut your piece off the runner with clippers. Then cut most of the nub off with your knife and then file down the rest. This avoids stressing the plastic.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Yeah even with single-blade nippers like Godhand or DSPIAE you still want to cut away from the part itself to avoid stress marks then scrap and file the rest off.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Willo567 posted:

so for cutting the nubs off, I saw a video that explains it can be done with an exacto knife or you could use sand paper instead. Which is the preferred method? I'm a bit nervous about using the knife and screwing up a part

You can totally ignore the knife and just sand if you're not confident with a knife or just prefer to do it that way. It'll be slower since there's more nub to sand away, but no risk of gouging your part if you apply too much pressure or your hand slips.
Nano glass files like the Raser or DSPIAE Siren take more material off and can speed this step up compared to using sandpaper.

e: any file like the ones linked below can work too, but nice thing about the super-fine-grit hobby ones is that you won't need to follow them up with high grit sandpaper to polish the surface afterwards

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Apr 24, 2024

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy
I really like using a glass file. Specifically these cheap bezosmart glass nail files because the black one cuts fast, and the clear one leaves a smooth finish. I usually cut the parts with a single bladed nipper, then hit it with the clear file and follow up with 3000-5000 grit sanding stick to match the rest of the parts finish.

They need to be cleaned occasionally but rubbing a toothpick against the file and rinsing with water does the trick.

Also, since they come in an 8-pk I can stash extras all over to help keep my fingernails pretty.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

I chew them off with my teeth

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Pierson posted:

Yeah even with single-blade nippers like Godhand or DSPIAE you still want to cut away from the part itself to avoid stress marks then scrap and file the rest off.

I get my best results with my Godhand when I can get it perfectly flush with the part. That leaves me with minimal cleanup with a fine-grit glass file.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Buck Wildman posted:

I chew them off with my teeth

My cat does too. He has fun.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

monsterzero posted:

I really like using a glass file. Specifically these cheap bezosmart glass nail files because the black one cuts fast, and the clear one leaves a smooth finish. I usually cut the parts with a single bladed nipper, then hit it with the clear file and follow up with 3000-5000 grit sanding stick to match the rest of the parts finish.

They need to be cleaned occasionally but rubbing a toothpick against the file and rinsing with water does the trick.

Also, since they come in an 8-pk I can stash extras all over to help keep my fingernails pretty.

To clean the glass files, try rolling a blob of blutack or other equivalent on it.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Willo567 posted:

To be fair to the knife, you can cause even more damage if you choose the wrong sandpaper. :v:

Either method requires a lot of practice to minimize damage though, so if you want better looking nubs, you may have to make some ugly ones first unfortunately.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

it happens

boz
Oct 16, 2005
Haha is that part of a Freedom's wing?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
https://twitter.com/figsoku_r/status/1783315982972539115?t=pQzWQ6nnfi9KzrO2vXkgUQ&s=19

ROBOT Spirits, I know, but fuuuuck that looks so good. I wonder if it will come with Coral effect parts.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

It does look good, I really wish they'd make a model kit of it.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

pretty much all the major lines will tell you they got ya covered, but does that model not come with a paint guide on what they used?

Update: no.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Nuebot posted:

What's up with p-bandai? It's been in maintenance for like four days now.

I tried to get an answer from customer support, fully expecting their usual opaque bullshit, and that's essentially what I got -- no information as to what's really going on and an unconvincing claim that the site would be back up by 9PM EDT tonight (bet you a dollar it won't be.)

The only point of substance offered was a referral to the outage as *emergency* maintenance, which is not a description I recall hearing before. So yeah, they totally got hacked.

e: and it's back. What a weird situation.

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Apr 26, 2024

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Banshee Norn is nearly ready for matte

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Remember the basics of CQC, Snake!

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

Banshee Norn is nearly ready for matte

I read "ready for his mate" and with the plumage it made sense.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SnakesRevenge posted:

I read "ready for his mate" and with the plumage it made sense.

The Unicorn Gundams do seem to breed in big numbers, going by how many there are.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

On closer inspection they werent selling Mr Color in a gacha machine.

Just slime in the same packaging?

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

buy the slime

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Synthbuttrange posted:

Buck Wildman posted:

buy the slime

Buy a frog too.

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Remember the basics of CQC, Snake!

Synthbuttrange posted:

Worth it just for the spare paint jars.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Buy a frog too.

Buy me a frog too

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

More AC4 era Armored Core kits are getting reprinted:
https://www.usagundamstore.com/coll...XvHPIfbc.QPkpvt

https://www.usagundamstore.com/coll...XvHPIfbc.QPkpvt

Almost all of the old AC kits I imported from buyee keep getting reprint announcements. You're welcome everyone else I guess?

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
That reminds me that I’m still waiting on USAGundamStore to fulfill (or cancel) that Eternal Star Glory preorder I made back in December, and it seems like Newtype.us never gets a lot of these older Kotobukiya kits (never had an issue with Newtype orders at all)

Skrillmub
Nov 22, 2007

MechaX posted:

That reminds me that I’m still waiting on USAGundamStore to fulfill (or cancel) that Eternal Star Glory preorder I made back in December, and it seems like Newtype.us never gets a lot of these older Kotobukiya kits (never had an issue with Newtype orders at all)

The Glory seems to have some kind of supply issues. I've seen it come into stock on some Chinese and Canadian sites and not on others. GunDamit seems to never have got it at all.
It's the first kit out of a new company, it makes sense they may have overstretched.
Also, I have a suspicion that all of the new Plamo companies that have popped up are getting their kits printed at either one of just a few actual manufacturers. I saw a site once that listed like E-Model and Nuke Matrix and MS General as "patrons" or something of their company. There could be a long lineup to get kits actually made and if your order needs to be expanded you just have to wait.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
That's the whole reason there are so many new makers coming out of China and not other countries. These designers live right nearby the factories and machine shops and can much more easily strike deals to machine molds, do production runs on injection molding machines etc without going through slow expensive back-and-forth negotiations across the ocean.

boz
Oct 16, 2005

Skrillmub posted:

The Glory seems to have some kind of supply issues. I've seen it come into stock on some Chinese and Canadian sites and not on others. GunDamit seems to never have got it at all.

Gundamit got what looks like one shipment that went out in December and seems like nothing since.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

my order for the bit bases for my hg lfrith just shipped. the description for them is vague on whether they're compatible with the gizmos with the mg aerial I preordered so I'm uncertain whether I should get another set

Buck Wildman fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Apr 27, 2024

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
RG Lfrith???

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

yeah yeah wrong acronym I fixed it

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

SHEESH

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
You gave me hope.

We're not going to see RG WFM kits for years at the rate they go.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

You gave me hope.

We're not going to see RG WFM kits for years at the rate they go.

If ever. We average out one or two mass retail Gundam RGs a year, with P-Bandai tending to be variants of existing molds. And even only counting mainline Gundams, there's a long waiting list of protagonists from earlier, even ignoring side-suits in the big ticket series (00, SEED, and the UC):

Alex
F91
Victory
EZ-8
X
Turn A
Stargazer
Beginning G
Burning Gundam
Barbatos
Full Armor or Atlas Gundam
00 Sky
Xi
Core Gundam
Helios

Now, I'd expect Aerial before a lot of those (Xi's huge, Helios, Beginning, and Stargazer are from short ONAs, AGE is AGE.), but just counting the suits there and assuming nothing else comes in (like, say, a remake of the Gundam RX-78, for example) we'd still be the better part of a decade away from Aerial, and who can know how the line would change in that time?

Upside, eight years got us from the first grandpa to the Sazabi. Any RGs released that far out are likely to have truly remarkable engineering.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Big Bizness posted:

Almost all of the old AC kits I imported from buyee keep getting reprint announcements. You're welcome everyone else I guess?

Thanks my dude. I was *this* close to paying scalper prices for a Sunshine last year. Very pleased to see those scalpers get hosed now.

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022

chiasaur11 posted:

If ever. We average out one or two mass retail Gundam RGs a year, with P-Bandai tending to be variants of existing molds. And even only counting mainline Gundams, there's a long waiting list of protagonists from earlier, even ignoring side-suits in the big ticket series (00, SEED, and the UC):

Alex
F91
Victory
EZ-8
X
Turn A
Stargazer
Beginning G
Burning Gundam
Barbatos
Full Armor or Atlas Gundam
00 Sky
Xi
Core Gundam
Helios

Now, I'd expect Aerial before a lot of those (Xi's huge, Helios, Beginning, and Stargazer are from short ONAs, AGE is AGE.), but just counting the suits there and assuming nothing else comes in (like, say, a remake of the Gundam RX-78, for example) we'd still be the better part of a decade away from Aerial, and who can know how the line would change in that time?

Upside, eight years got us from the first grandpa to the Sazabi. Any RGs released that far out are likely to have truly remarkable engineering.

I mean, that's assuming they go in release order. 00 and Seed both got kits before Wing, for example. If I had to guess I'd say Barbatos, and EZ-8 are the ones most likely to be picked before Aerial. There are several others I could definitely see happening, Alex, F91, and Turn A aren't that unlikely, maybe Victory and X, and I'd be shocked if they weren't planning to get around to a Gelgoog and Hyaku Shiki to round out Char's representation in the line. So those could definitely get in before Aerial, but I'd be shocked if she didn't make it into the lineup relatively quickly. Your broader point is correct though, relatively is not the same as actually quickly and it will almost certainly be years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

Marx Headroom posted:

Thanks my dude. I was *this* close to paying scalper prices for a Sunshine last year. Very pleased to see those scalpers get hosed now.

You're very welcome. It's a really well done kit and does the design justice. It feels really tough and weighty. The metallic accents need some coloring IMO but otherwise the colors are really nice out of box. Here's the one I did a few months ago, with painted silver accents, panel lined and top coated. Oh and a touch of red metallic for the eye sensor.

I'd recommend going through buyee next time you're looking for the old out of print kits (or anything else from Japan that evil nerds like to scalp on ebay). You can still get them for reasonable prices on there. I got an assembled White Glint with the VOB unit for $60 that I'm going to paint once I've got the weathering chops. Might be worth waiting until you have several things you want to import though, so you can consolidate the shipping as it's a bit pricey coming from Japan.