Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

I picked up a GSI Gundam Marker Airbrush set yesterday and I have to say I'm really impressed. I've found that a lot of the gundam markers have legitimately nice pigments but obviously getting a nice even finish with them can be challenging. The whole concept of this thing is a bit funny to me but if it works it works. It's a little finicky, having to readjust the marker frequently but I think in terms of total time spent in the process its probably a similar consumption of time versus all of the cleaning involved in a traditional airbrush? Being able to switch between colors so quickly is nice too. It uses compressed air cans but I assume you could fit it to a traditional compressor easily enough. But the portability and wirelessness (other than the hose) is neat too. I tried several colors and types and they all came out really well. The metallic blue and red were so bright and glossy that they're kind of blown out in the image. I also want to try getting funky with it and try mixing some paints of my own at some point and then refilling one of the markers with it. I would recommend anyone who has built up a stash of markers to give it a try.

I do wonder how they will look with top coats, but funny enough there is a both a Gundam Marker gloss clear and matte clear so I might grab those. Will probably try out premium Mr Top Coat flat and gloss tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

where and how many large sacks of money with dollar signs printed on the side do i have to drop off to get a kit made of the zio matrix corporate issue ac from ac2

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

thinking of using limonene based cement for abs/styrene joins.

Google what do you think?

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Fuckin sweet, I'm stealing this pose

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I just want a G-Self kit where the glowing parts are done with transparent plastic instead of loving stickers. MG, RG, I don’t care, I just want a good G-Self kit.

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

where and how many large sacks of money with dollar signs printed on the side do i have to drop off to get a kit made of the zio matrix corporate issue ac from ac2

Seriously though. It got a crappy action figure around when the game came out but it's one of the coolest designs in the series and NEEDS a proper high detail model

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

Big Bizness posted:

I picked up a GSI Gundam Marker Airbrush set yesterday and I have to say I'm really impressed. I've found that a lot of the gundam markers have legitimately nice pigments but obviously getting a nice even finish with them can be challenging. The whole concept of this thing is a bit funny to me but if it works it works. It's a little finicky, having to readjust the marker frequently but I think in terms of total time spent in the process its probably a similar consumption of time versus all of the cleaning involved in a traditional airbrush? Being able to switch between colors so quickly is nice too. It uses compressed air cans but I assume you could fit it to a traditional compressor easily enough. But the portability and wirelessness (other than the hose) is neat too. I tried several colors and types and they all came out really well. The metallic blue and red were so bright and glossy that they're kind of blown out in the image. I also want to try getting funky with it and try mixing some paints of my own at some point and then refilling one of the markers with it. I would recommend anyone who has built up a stash of markers to give it a try.

I do wonder how they will look with top coats, but funny enough there is a both a Gundam Marker gloss clear and matte clear so I might grab those. Will probably try out premium Mr Top Coat flat and gloss tomorrow.

So I indeed tried out the Mr Top Coats on these and it did not go well. The gloss spray was decent, but the matte spray absolutely destroyed the finish. Makes sense, enamel eating through the alcohol base I suppose.

I then started wondering about my Tamiya panel liners and the lighter fluid I normally use to clean it up and how they would react directly with a gundam marker coat. For whatever reason, it works! I experimented using a spare piece from a kit I had on hand. Neither the liner nor the lighter fluid cleanup messed up the base coat. I think this is a viable combination as long as you're not going crazy with either and doing a gentle cleanup with the Q-tip, which you should be doing anyways. Here's a picture:

I think finishing the job with the matte or gloss gundam markers (yes they exist) would go well based on some vids I saw on YT. Amusing that they exist at all, maybe they just assume people are going to use them with their airbrush system instead of trying to apply a topcoat with a marker...

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Big Bizness posted:

So I indeed tried out the Mr Top Coats on these and it did not go well. The gloss spray was decent, but the matte spray absolutely destroyed the finish. Makes sense, enamel eating through the alcohol base I suppose.

I then started wondering about my Tamiya panel liners and the lighter fluid I normally use to clean it up and how they would react directly with a gundam marker coat. For whatever reason, it works! I experimented using a spare piece from a kit I had on hand. Neither the liner nor the lighter fluid cleanup messed up the base coat. I think this is a viable combination as long as you're not going crazy with either and doing a gentle cleanup with the Q-tip, which you should be doing anyways. Here's a picture:

I think finishing the job with the matte or gloss gundam markers (yes they exist) would go well based on some vids I saw on YT. Amusing that they exist at all, maybe they just assume people are going to use them with their airbrush system instead of trying to apply a topcoat with a marker...

traditionally you apply varnishes by hand. so it's entirely viable to not use an airbrush, just slower

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass
Ok I finally had the time and inclination for the Divine Knight Ordine moderoid. I am not good at pictures but you'll get the idea.

I did a Valimar one, and from that kit I had a gold, silver, and green metallic gundam marker. I took some liberties with the paint pens, like the grey plastic parts were supposed to have some brighter sliver trim but my marker wouldnt show up so I did gold on those parts.

Some build stuff seemed better than the Valimar, like it was way way easier to get the wings in the body of Ordine, and assemble the body generally, but some of the fligree I feel had less pronounced ridges and harder to use the marker on, vs Valimar. I could just be rusty. The back of the chest is a bit of a mess but you wont be seeing that!

Overall very happy with the end result. I can see a few things I will touch up or fix but nothing major, looks fine from a distance.

Iriscoral
Apr 9, 2023

为人民服务
my HG ReZEL Defenser b-unit from P-Bandai arrived today and I was really excited for a moment until I realized it was just a recolored version of the (GR) b-unit. I should have checked before-hand, but I loved the ReZEL variants so much that I clicked without doing my research.

This particular ReZEL variant is a little bigger compared to other HGs, but it still doesn't soften the blow that I basically paid almost twice the price of typical HGs. I felt really bad for missing out on the Byarlant Custom 02 (which was also P-Bandai only), but after this poo poo I'm going to be extra careful with whatever I get from there.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Iriscoral posted:

I felt really bad for missing out on the Byarlant Custom 02 (which was also P-Bandai only), but after this poo poo I'm going to be extra careful with whatever I get from there.

There are a couple of things I missed that I really wanted too. I was after the Big Arms but it's gone now. Please come back big arms.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

I finished my Baskyrotto :peanut:. I like to think of this one as a slow-plodding artillery/mobile SAM platform. Like every now and then you'd just see it stop, turn, let off a missile or cannon round as artillery, and someone's day elsewhere just got much worse. And delightfully Songbird-esque to boot. :allears:

Just angled, aimed, and fire away. FIRE FOR EFFECT! :byodood: One big thing in the Baskyrotto's favour is it doesn't do the L-piece torso where it angles around and plugs into the chest from the front like a lot of other 30MM robots do, so it's a very stable and simple design. The front hatchpiece also opens too! The only nitpick I have is the assymetric collar pieces, because how can I add more kibble if they won't align?? :argh:

(There's even two slots on the right side, and one on the left. And yet they don't align at all either, the rear right one's slightly off from the left! :spergin:)

The gun it comes with was a pretty :nallears: assault rifle, so I used one of my (many) spare guns to give it something a bit more beefy. I think this is the gun from a Cielnova, off the top of my head? Yes I smudged the paint on the missiles around the joining flat piece too, I couldn't be assed trying to get that fine-degree down and it looks fine from a distance.

Also highly recommend the "Heavy Weapons 1" set, you get a lot of value for your money; You get two of these cannons, two of the missile pods, and one of the bigass sword/axe weapons and shields from my big red gladiator build.

Iriscoral
Apr 9, 2023

为人民服务

Nuebot posted:

There are a couple of things I missed that I really wanted too. I was after the Big Arms but it's gone now. Please come back big arms.
I'm personally irritated that most or if not all of the Zeta Pluses are limited. Also the MS Girl FAZZ and Gundam MK IIs, who are unlikely to ever be reprinted. At least the MG FAZZ ver. Ka might get a reprint...right?

Honestly P-Bandai system really sucks and a lot of the excuses don't hold water the more I think of it. A sorry chunk of P-Bandai are just recolored variants, way too many things that really should be full production runs just get on there to maximise FOMO, and any chance of promoting more niche series and concepts like AoZ or Sentinel just get shoved into P-Bandai to gouge those already aware.

I'm very thankful that a friend let me have my beloved Hazenthley II Rah for about the sale price, but if you are anyone else you basically have to get scalped or go through Mandarake/Taobao for your own copies.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Too many good kits end up as P-Bandai, but hey, here's yet another AMAIM kit for general release!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
What's that you've redesigned the Hizack from the ground up and given it AOZ proportions and the Hibby Hizack color scheme? Sorry, that kind of engineering can only exist in a P-Bandai state. If you want a modern Hizack for general release you need to spend $80CAD on that upcoming robot spirits action figure or something silly.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Too many good kits end up as P-Bandai, but hey, here's yet another AMAIM kit for general release!

Another AMAIM that's 80% an existing kit, maybe with a new weapon pack.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

And 90% plug holes

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Finished the Recirculation version of the Aerial this weekend. My partner helped me out with this pose.

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Remember the basics of CQC, Snake!

Kibner posted:

Finished the Recirculation version of the Aerial this weekend. My partner helped me out with this pose.

Those colors make me want to buy 3 more Aerials just to try some fun combinations.

Shame they're not as easy to snag as those EG grandpas I usually test colors on.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I finished my Baskyrotto :peanut:. I like to think of this one as a slow-plodding artillery/mobile SAM platform. Like every now and then you'd just see it stop, turn, let off a missile or cannon round as artillery, and someone's day elsewhere just got much worse. And delightfully Songbird-esque to boot. :allears:

Nice! Really dig those metalics!

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Arc Hammer posted:

What's that you've redesigned the Hizack from the ground up and given it AOZ proportions and the Hibby Hizack color scheme? Sorry, that kind of engineering can only exist in a P-Bandai state. If you want a modern Hizack for general release you need to spend $80CAD on that upcoming robot spirits action figure or something silly.

The current licensing agreement between Bandai and Dengeki Hobby for AOZ kits stipulates direct sales only, IIRC. I think Sentinel may have a similar arrangement.

I get the annoyance with P-Bandai, really. Having to jump on something you want in a relatively tight window and then wait 4 months for it does kind of suck, if you're even given that option. However, the alternative for most of what they offer is not a regular retail release, but no release at all, and that's not going to change anytime soon.

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Apr 30, 2024

Skrillmub
Nov 22, 2007

Bimmi posted:

The current licensing agreement between Bandai and Dengeki Hobby for AOZ kits stipulates direct sales only, IIRC. I think Sentinel may have a similar arrangement.

I get the annoyance with P-Bandai, really. Having go jump on something you want in a relatively tight window and then wait 4 months for it does kind of suck, if you're even given that option. However, the alternative for most of what they offer is not a regular retail release, but no release at all, and that's not going to change anytime soon.

The problem with P-Bandai isn't pre-orders, it's that they're selling recolours for double the price of retail. It's lovely and predatory.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
P-Bandai prices are pretty much in line with retail, I have no idea where this "twice as expensive" thing comes from unless you're buying from resellers.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Maybe coated kits? Those ARE way more expensive.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
My problem isn't repaints or pre-orders, it's when entirely new builds or arbitrary kits that should have been retail get relegated to their exclusives, and the fact that they don't ship to Canada without going through loopholes.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Apr 30, 2024

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Arc Hammer posted:

My problem isn't repaints or pre-orders, it's when entirely new builds or arbitrary kits that should have been retail get relegated to their exclusives, and the fact that they don't ship to Canada without loopholes.

Yeah those are real problems. I'm still mad about the Shuffle Alliance/Gundnode.

Skrillmub
Nov 22, 2007

Well... the prices have gone down since I looked last time.
Did they do some weird over conversion for people shopping from Canada at some point?
Anyways, I rescind the over priced comment.
P-Bandai sucks because they still won't ship to Canada and they hold back genuinely interesting, unique kits. They're not doing anything with MG or HGUC, just release them as regular kits. They'll sell out.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
my problem with p-bandai is if you're not in the US or JP you can go gently caress yourself apparently

Durr Kommissar
Jan 25, 2010
After about a year’s worth of binging like 10 different Gundam series, and watching my brother fall down the gunpla rabbit hole, I’m finally taking the plunge myself.

He apparently got me a HG Barbatos Lupus as a gift during one of his last excursions, but I’m also taking a trip to the only hobby store within driving distance to pick up a MG 00 Raiser to give myself something to work towards (tho who knows, maybe I’ll start that first since I can’t get the Barbatos til I visit home again). Reading this thread has gotten me excited to build something for the first time since I was a kid playing with LEGOs tbh :toot:

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Yeah P-Bandai's pricing is usually in line when it comes to the model kits unless you're using Buyee or some poo poo, but it does have some weird exceptions (like the PG Unicorn Perfectibility looks really nice but isn't the normal PGs for Unicorn and Banshee going for $220-ish these days? Seems weird to me that the extra shield, regular Banshee weapons, and halberd justifies a $130 increase). Can't say I know what a Metal Build is really worth since I only got the Astrea II and that's probably the only Metal Build I'll get. The country restriction stuff sucks poo poo 100%.

But stuff like the Aescalpius, Burn Lapius, Gunnode, Mk V or F90 being P-Bandai exclusive is really weird to me. Like some of the AoZ kits are retail; you mean to tell me that people wouldn't buy the G-Unit kits at retail either? I'm also super surprised that stuff like G04/05 and the Mudrock are P-Bandai only; a lot of older people in this hobby probably grew up playing Encounters in Space or Zeonic Front lol

Actually, where in the gently caress is our HG Hydra Gundam (not the old one)

MechaX fucked around with this message at 00:08 on May 1, 2024

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master
I love that the Gundnode comes with parts to connect it to up to six other nodes (and so on) to recreate the data storm mesh sphere, but because it is in PB jail you're only "allowed" to buy three of them.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
The short answer for things like G-Unit or the new Shuffle Alliance kits being exclusives is that the men in grey suits have run the numbers and determined that Bandai makes more money that way. I don't like it either, but that's the reality now -- the retail push is reserved almost entirely for new properties, and the legacy series get whatever they get.

I do feel really bad for y'all up north who are currently getting passed over for all this stuff: I would be INCREDIBLY frustrated in that position, and I hope it changes at some point. Based on what I've heard about the inner workings of P-Bandai, though, the fact that the US shop exists at all is something of a minor miracle.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
On the subject of P-Bandai, looks like they're dropping the PG Phenex again for almost $500 tomorrow

Eh, I think I'll keep my PG Perfectibility pre-order, I'm good Bandai

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

So, I did something silly and got one of these things to build.

I don't know anything about Gundum really outside of cultural osmosis, but I kept seeing friends I know talking about and building these toy robot guys and I was bored. I used to love building models as a kid, but I haven't built one in 20 years, and I always enjoyed the act of following instructions and building legos, so I though, what the hell, it will give me something to do for an evening, seeing what one of these robot toys are all about. I had a look through the lists of them, saw a few that had an ok look and not all weird, and narrowed it down and picked one up. I don't know anything the show or anything so I don't know what its from or anything, I just thought it had a decent look to it.

I gotta say I was pretty skeptical going in, I know people always talked about these things, but frankly snap together "models" were always code for pretty simple low end kits when I was a kid last building models. However this has really impressed me with its attention to detail, and all these fascinating moving pistons and parts inside that all get covered up anyways but are still there. A lot more intricate than I expected, and time consuming enough that it ended up not just being something to do for the one evening, as I only managed to get the top half put together last night, and spent all this evening just getting the legs built. Really wonderful mechanisms inside them, I'm impressed.

Theres still probably a 3rd night I'll need to finish building the rest of it, then I'll do a little bit of basic weathering to give it a less clean look, file and fill some damage marks into etc, but yeah, overall I'm having a surprisingly good zen time putting together this silly little robot toy.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Welcome to plastic crack. Nice job on the brass arm, gives it a nice asymmetry!

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Tom Guycot posted:

I don't know anything about Gundum really outside of cultural osmosis, but I kept seeing friends I know talking about and building these toy robot guys and I was bored. I used to love building models as a kid, but I haven't built one in 20 years, and I always enjoyed the act of following instructions and building legos, so I though, what the hell, it will give me something to do for an evening, seeing what one of these robot toys are all about. I had a look through the lists of them, saw a few that had an ok look and not all weird, and narrowed it down and picked one up. I don't know anything the show or anything so I don't know what its from or anything, I just thought it had a decent look to it.

I gotta say I was pretty skeptical going in, I know people always talked about these things, but frankly snap together "models" were always code for pretty simple low end kits when I was a kid last building models. However this has really impressed me with its attention to detail, and all these fascinating moving pistons and parts inside that all get covered up anyways but are still there. A lot more intricate than I expected, and time consuming enough that it ended up not just being something to do for the one evening, as I only managed to get the top half put together last night, and spent all this evening just getting the legs built. Really wonderful mechanisms inside them, I'm impressed.

Theres still probably a 3rd night I'll need to finish building the rest of it, then I'll do a little bit of basic weathering to give it a less clean look, file and fill some damage marks into etc, but yeah, overall I'm having a surprisingly good zen time putting together this silly little robot toy.

If you care, that one's from War in the Pocket, a six episode miniseries. Might be worth checking out, since it's short, good, and emotionally painful.

The design of the kit you got is the GM Sniper II, which is more "normal" looking since it's a grunt suit. Basically one of the good guys who dies so you know the hero's up against someone tough. But it was such a cool design, it kept being in stuff for years after, even getting shows and games where it was the main event for a fight. In general, the Gundams tend to be flashier, while the grunts on either side (like the Zaku, the GM, the Leo or the Graze) tend to be more grounded. Sadly, the grunts get less of the high end kits, but when they do, they can be quite good.

The Jesta might be another good one to look at. Similar less goofy style, good build. But obviously, you're a better judge of what looks cool to you than I could ever be.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Tom Guycot posted:

One of the thread recommendations for me was the Jegan, which is the 'endpoint' of the GM line in the canon as I see it, since afterwards grunt suit production for the Federation was moved in-house with things like the Gustav Karl, and anything beyond that point is as far removed from the GM line as an F-15 is removed from a P-51 Mustang. I still haven't built it but that's a factor of backlog priorities rather than interest.

The various scales available are also worth considering. You're in 1:100 "Master Grade" scale, which puts a lot of detail on display and is probably the best out of the box experience. The 1:144 "High Grade" is my favorite because they're more friendly to shelf space and, while still having lots of detail and posing options, offer a starker contrast between the out-of-the-box snap build and a 'finished' piece with paint, scribing, waterslides, and other detailing applied. Some of my old posts should show off a 1:144 scale "Gundam Unit 5" that can give you an idea of what this looks like.

Same kit, but mine got a coat of paint, panels, decals, and a gloss varnish.

Anyway.

Synthbuttrange posted:

Welcome to plastic crack. Nice job on the brass arm, gives it a nice asymmetry!

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Tom Guycot posted:

I don't know anything about Gundum really outside of cultural osmosis,

This is essentially my story. I built model planes as a kit. But never painted them. I was put off of building gundam because I assumed you needed to paint them. Sometime in 2019, I was at the hobby shop, and the gundam build club was there. And I saw the models were.. in color.

I was used to models with flashing. Lots of work needed tomake parts fit. Warped runners. Sloppy fits, and an absolute need for glue. Even snap tite models were.. icky.

Welp.. welcome to the fold. I"ll also note that there are modern model companies that mean even "normal" models aren't as arduous as they used to be!

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Can anyone recommend some good single bladed nippers that aren't $60 like Godhands?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

Marx Headroom posted:

Can anyone recommend some good single bladed nippers that aren't $60 like Godhands?

https://www.usagundamstore.com/products/usa-gundam-single-blade-nipper

I've been using these and they've been working well. They also come with free shipping for any order they're included with, alone or otherwise.