Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
Has the shoulder design changed much from original MG Zeta derivatives to the Zeta 2.0? I may have torqued the rotation joint at the bicep and broken a peg. Possibly because I am bad at this hobby and might have expected that I could put the loving left arm out to help grip the hyper launcher, silly me.

I don't expect these things to be action figures but I'd really like them not to disintegrate the first time I look at them.

Edit: I ask because I have an old Zetaplus that's served its purpose and has a couple of busted bits, and I could use it for parts if they work. I don't learn lessons well, I guess- this is the third MG Zeta-type I've built and they all seem to end up coming down with some problem.

The Muffinlord fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Nov 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
Don't think of it as a Full Armor Unicorn Gundam, think of it as a Unicorn Gundam and a Base Jabber. :v:

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
Technically, wouldn't the Moonlight Butterfly be the most powerful weapon ever equipped on a Gundam? I mean, at max power, it could remove all technology in a range from Earth to Jupiter, which would probably be lethal to everyone in space.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
Hey, what was that pen that people were recommending for panel lining? It was something crazy like .3mm or something, but I can't dig through the whole thread on my phone.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
Also, while I'm thinking about it, has anyone ever made a conversion kit to turn the MG Gouf 2.0 into a Gouf Custom 2.0?

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
Destroy Unchained is cool, I guess, but I was kinda hoping for Gerwalk.

Is there anything out there like a perfect grade VF-1? In both size and detail.

Edit:

BlitzBlast posted:

I will probably never own a PG because my favorite designs will never be popular enough to make it to 1/60.

I'm currently working on a plan to convince my wife to let me buy a Glorious Series Gouf.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

muike posted:

There's 1/48 Yamato releases of the VF-1, if that is what you are looking for, friend muffinlord. however the 1/60s look better. Of course, they're not kits, unless you were crazy enough to buy some of the resin castings Yamato sold while they went out of business and completely legitimately turned into Arcadia

That's a bit of a shame. Macross is about the only other series with enough kits to be worth exploring that I also have familiarity with. So are the 1/72 scale ones about MG-sized?

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
Good grief. That's amazing.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

Literally The Worst posted:

When you attach the green translucent bit for the knee to the gray cylinder bit, really loving push those things together until you hear it click.

Seconding this but also be really aware of how you do the wrist joints, they aren't very clearly marked.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
The whole thing looks like it's in the wrong aspect ratio. If it were just thicker overall it would probably look fine.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

Zodar posted:

It's got cool legs, shame about absolutely everything else

And here I think the legs are the worst part. They just look so... flimsy.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

Ka0 posted:

Is it kosher to thin Gundam Color paints using Mr Thinner. I think it is because they seem to be of the same brand, Creos.

Yeah, usually. I think there are some weird outliers but I believe most of their products are compatible.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

Literally The Worst posted:

The Zaku 2.0's only flaw is those motherfucking cables.

gently caress those cables so hard

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
I got a Sazabi and a Turn X, both MGs, two Action Base 1s, and a Copic Multiliner. Guess it's time to clean my workshop table.

Edit: I was testing the Copic on some paper and it looks like ink isn't flowing. The little shaft from the nib tip to the ink is made of really flimsy material; do I have to make sure it gets in contact with the reservoir somehow?

The Muffinlord fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Dec 25, 2014

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
So I started my MG Sazabi ver. Ka last night and holy poo poo, I think my old PG Zeta had less trees. What's more, the stickers go straight up to 150, so I'm going to be doing a fair amount of painting, I'm sure. I've already had to paint the grooves in the shoulder armor, plus the usual head pieces with the mono-eye and sensor.

What's weird is that the psycoframe is a prop, there's actually no cockpit inside the figure. Structurally it makes sense, but it's still a weird decision.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

BlitzBlast posted:

There is a cockpit, but it's separate from the main body. They had to free up space for a LED somehow.

Well, yeah, that's what I meant. There's no space for the cockpit without sacrificing something else, so they made it a prop.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
I finished building the Sazabi over New Year's, and I've got some thoughts on it that I'm too tired to express right now. My biggest problem with the kit seems to be the weapons. Holy poo poo are they ever ill-designed. Neither gun fits well in the suit's hands, or can be held one-armed without anything short of a loving struggle. The beam axes don't even have hand-pegs, so I have absolutely no idea how those are supposed to work at all! It's a good thing the Sazabi is an amazing-looking suit, because I'm loving tired of MG-level kits that can't hold their own loving weapons right.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
Part of my new years resolution is to do another custom gunpla, so I'm going to have to figure out what. I'm thinking custom Turn A with a metallic paint job, but I think maybe I should try my hand at that color-change paint I didn't try before. I wish you could buy extra hardpoints for shoulder or hip mounted weapons in MG size.

I actually have a backlog right now! I'm going to start on my MG Turn X tonight. Then I might start on another shelving unit because the one I have now is NOT going to support more weight at the top.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

BizarroAzrael posted:

Isn't all paint colour change paint?

I suppose, yeah, but I mean paint that actively changes color. Usually it's auto body paint, but I'd love to have a color-shifting Gundam.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

An Angry Bug posted:

Forgot to post about it, but finished the Zaku a few weeks ago and it was amazing. What are some good kits of unusual suit designs, like the Guntank or something similar? Also is there an MG of the 8th MS team Ground type? The premade figure of that is the first Gundam I ever bought and having a better version would be neat.

There is, and it's pretty old, so it has a ton of accessories and no full internal frame. It makes a nice beginner MG but if you're looking for ultra detail you'll be a bit disappointed.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
How long do you think before we see an MG G-Self? I'm kinda surprised we haven't seen any master grade announcements from G-Reco or BFT yet.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
I hate stickers more than I hate painting, and so I'm replicating the chest scar on my MG Turn X with Gundam Markers. I figure it's going under the transparent dark plastic, so it doesn't have to be perfect, but how long between coats would you recommend I wait to ensure I don't pick any of this silver paint up with my colored markers?

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

Warmachine posted:

The stickers underneath the clear blue sections of the G-self have been my exception to the no sticker rule. I figure the panels are going to protect them from damage, so go hog wild.

Nah, I hosed up putting these on since my tweezers are bent as hell. Painting works better for me, I think. Just gotta let it dry.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
I'm a bit disappointed that there's a PG Astray mold but no PG Sengoku Astray.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

Fauxtool posted:

It looks like Kotobukiya probably saw the sales for AGP toys and decided to throw away their dignity for unlimited nerd money
http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/detail?gcode=FIGURE-009639&page=top

Frame Arms Girl, or FAG
With no anime tie in im not sure how successful they will be.

It bugs the hell out of me that her shoulder armor isn't mounted around her shoulder.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
I bought cheap Tamiya cutters in a modeling starter kit and they're more than adequate. For anything more there's knives and color matching paint markers.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

lilljonas posted:

I also didn't believe that the snap fit would be this good, I haven't used any glue at all.

That's kind of the primary design goal of these kits. Anything newer than twenty years old shouldn't need glue.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

lilljonas posted:

Yeah, it's sturdy as gently caress. I was nervous when some fits required me to push two plastic parts against each other with full force, but nothing has snapped yet. I'm probably going to give the kid to my 6-yo nephew when I'm done, and I think he'll have to work on it if he's to break it immediately.

Okay, they don't need glue, but they ARE fragile. They're not action figures, they're model kits, and they do have brittle parts.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
I'd end up a little disappointed at any SDF-1 kit that didn't transform.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

Ka0 posted:

What is a good place to buy vintage 1980's gunpla like Zaku IIs or a RX-78-2?

I have a boxed MSV Perfect Zeong in my basement that will never get built. I think I found it in a hobby shop a billion years ago.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

MJP posted:

Ugh, I want to buy that but backlog :-(

If you want to buy my entire backlog of one kit, pm me and maybe we can work something out.

E: I'll take a picture when I get home.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
I don't suppose anyone has a 1/100 Hardygun in their backlogs they'd be willing to part with? I've got an idea for my next custom paint job but the kit I want to do is old enough to vote and getting harder to find.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
I'd really appreciate it. I could trade money for it, even.

Is the color separation on the 1/100 G-Cannon Magna as bad as it looks? I'm thinking of including that in my custom painting as well and I'd just like to know what I'm getting myself into.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
That's weird and disappointing. I mean, it looks pretty bad, but I'm going to paint the whole thing regardless. Maybe painting and finishing will help sturdy it up.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

Bimmi posted:

Just for laffs, here's what the Magna looks like straight out of the box:

Expensive kit for the day, though that's due more to many leftover parts from the base G-Cannon than to any sort of fine quality.

(no spare Hardygun yet, will notify if that changes)

That doesn't look that bad, but it obviously was designed to get painted. Since I'll be painting mine, it'll probably turn out fine. I hope.

And if anyone else has a 1/100 Hardygun lying around in the box, let me know. I really don't want to spend $45 on the kit, even with free Amazon prime shipping.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
I kinda miss the old clean MG boxart that just looked like some kind of weird half 3d render half painting of the kit. It wasn't necessarily good, but it was distinctive.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
What's Gundam Planet's reputation? They seem like the best place to get esoteric Mr. Color paints and I'd like to not have to place a half dozen Amazon orders to get supplies.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
I sure hope we get more BF Master Grade kits, because that's the only way I'll ever buy anything from SEED or Wing.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
What's the deal with the titty robots and do their kits have full inner frames

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
That Optimus Prime one looks awesome though, I'd totally get that.