Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
All of the HG Raider's wings red is from a sticker, what a mess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Fauxtool posted:

whats with all these casuals making GBS threads up the thread. your addiction isnt even that crippling

Those 4 RG kits are in the wrong stacking order.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Why is there a zippo can in that picture, do you use lighter fluid to start up the engines?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Its a new Bearguy backpack.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I try to wait for sales, hello MG 00 seven swords!

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
They gave you a stand with it for the reason that it can not possible stand on its own. Well it kinda can if you use that things on the back of the feet to hold the feet down. Just put it on its stand and never touch it.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

TaurusOxford posted:

For 1/144 kits, Action Base 2 is always the way to go.

Isn't action base 1 the same price? I took the arm off another action base 1 and have 2 arms on one base. You can even use the bases to make bigger bases.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Darth Walrus posted:

Behold, my very first Gunpla:

Filing down the nubs from the sprues wasn't quite as effective as I'd hoped, but everything else seems to have worked out pretty well. Even panel-lined it with a mechanical pencil, though it's quite faint.

That's pretty nice, your sanding only really shows on those two things in the middle. It all comes down to practice, I've tried alot of different sanding techniques over a few models. Still haven't had the courage to fully panel line or apply "all" of the decals.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Now that's a movie worthly upgrade to a main character!

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Try out a concaved xacto blade, I've heard good things.

http://www.amazon.com/X-acto-Concave-Carving-Blade-pack/dp/B0000DD1NE

On the plus side its curved like a sickle to just slice your fingers off.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

TaurusOxford posted:

It's not that hard. Hell, a HG kit is something that can be knocked out in about 2 hours, tops.

The sanding isn't that bad but it is really time consuming. You could just not even touch the nubs.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Black, chrome, then a translucent colour I think. I think that takes mega practice to pull off.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Poison Mushroom posted:

Since you're covering any damage, you can cut completely flush, or even take a little bit off, without worrying about the damage.

Here's a before (where I'd normally start sanding)

And after shaving it down, then covering it up with the marker.

At this angle and light, you can even see where I shaved a tiny bit too much off, but the stress graying is gone completely.

You covered the nub up pretty good but the gouge is pretty visible. I would use a knife to de-nub if it didn't really make it noticeable.

Just finished watching Gundam Build Fighters, time to order all those master grades. They better make more because the designs in the show were so drat good.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
You mean Amazing Exia Repair, they better not make plain Amazing Exia because it was never even used. But if they did make it they will have broken the record of making a gunpla from a gundam in a show with the least screen time. The current holder is trans-am reborn's gundam since it was only in the last episode for 10? seconds?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
It like had no backpack doesn't count. But I guess it can't beat trans-am reborn's gundam then :qq:.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Hes trying to open a store like from the show. That was the whole point of the show, Gunpla is so good you need to open a store front.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Is that the skinny ZZ gundam? Please post pics when its finished, Out of shape gundam was super ugly and would of been just like a huge target.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

BlitzBlast posted:

That's cute, you think Gundam subscribes to any sense of realism.

Fat ZZ gundam was so ugly! That's real!

Qubeley Papillon had invisible funnels! and Bandai just smiles and charges more.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Nov 22, 2014

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I agree sanding adds a lot but you are really going out on a limb to say that sanding makes that. If you included painting, really good painting, and detailing sure. Sanding is just another technique to add more to the model.

From watching Gundam Build Fighters, I kinda want to give the file another try, any tips? Last time I used it was like Texas Chainsaw Massacre for gunpla.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I talking about a metal file, not xacto and sanding sticks.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Used A file for one of HG Amazing Zaku's feet, it does the work fast but I can get the same results safer with sanding sticks but slower. I guess slow and steady is the way to go for now for me.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Looks like a super custom Z'Gok.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I really hope they make the Powered GM Cardigan into a MG kit.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
drat you build fighters, I thought I was gonna be done with high grade. Must order Kamfer Amazing and Powered GM Cardigan.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I finished my ZA last night too. I also noticed the gun holsters don't really click into the side skirts, you can kinda force them to stay still though. I got him posed with the sniper rifle and the extra bazooka. The rifle holds well with the butt under then arm. I don't think its possible to have the butt of the rifle to the shoulder, it will just pop the hand out. In the show I think I saw him hold it under the arm, I would have to go back to check though. The low amount of posing is the HG standard. I was thinking since no HG has posable hands, Build Fighters is totally lying about these Plavsky particles. It came with guns as it had all the Zaku weapons included.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Did HG Zaku Amazing only use one sticker? because for the life of me I can't find where the second goes.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I looked the booklet over a few times, I figured it was a gun.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
So how are the Christmas sales on gunpla, should I hold my impulse back for a few days?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

MJP posted:

I'm pretty sure that the figures are going to end up in the hall of shame part of Traditional Games but for my first time out, I'm satisfied.

I wanted to see if you are really sure about your quality and....

SNAAAAAAKEEEEEE!!!!!

Well it's not that bad!

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
The Gundam Build Fighters Gouf was next on my list as well.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Would it be worth it to just start brushing on future to skip pens for panel lines and wash? Or can you panel line by cutting the enamel with water?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Has anyone tried an acrylic panel line wash? I've read that mini war gaming models have used a mix of 4 parts water, 2 parts future, and 1 part paint to some success. The paint ends up getting pulled down by the future, leveled out from using future, and then sealed in by it. Sounds that since its all acrylic it can't really harm the plastic.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I don't really have the room to start painting/airbrushing yet and was looking for an alternative to using gundam pens for panel lines, as I got shaky hands. I also haven't read about what to use to erase mistakes with it to say, would that be windex or alcohol?

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Nov 27, 2014

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
These HGBF kits are pretty reasonably flexible. Only made the Zaku Amazing and working on the Gouf R35 so far, but I really like the shoulders and hip joints alot.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

BlitzBlast posted:

00 S2 was when HG really started to hit its stride.

Only Complaint about HG Cherudim, is that the pistols come white and not grey.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Skinny ZZ looks so much better than fat ZZ.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

BlitzBlast posted:

Also it turns out the second pilot of the Astray Noir (and one of the pilot figures) is a teenage girl who pilots naked.

That sounds like a very easy pilot model to paint.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Hell, I've seen people in this thread saying HG 00 Raiser is the best build they've done.

It comes with a free stand but you really need an action base. The small stand is best for the raiser not for action shots with the 00.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Monaghan posted:

PG Strike (or Rouge, getting the pack either way)

PG MK II

PG GP-01

PG Unicorn

That's four completely different series, which one did you enjoy the most/would enjoy the most playing around with parts as you would put it together. I take it a perfect grade is going to take "awhile" to build. Tell us what you enjoyed about seed,z gundam, stardust, unicorn!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Monaghan posted:

well the consensus seems to the be the strike rouge. It was what I was leaning towards as I heard it was the best one. Plus, I don't have a strike. Hopefully it turns out better than the pg wing zero, a kit that turned me off pg's for this long.

Tell us what you like about all those series!