Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

That's not a backlog that's a cry for help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

For those that have used SAL for shipping about how long does it take and have you ever had shipments damaged/ not show up?

Coming from the retro games thread it was pretty much EMS or bust but we were getting old electronics sent.

ChaiCalico fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Nov 5, 2014

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

Yea if you look at the basic GM models only the II is pure white

http://www.dalong.net/review/hg/h131/h131_p.htm

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

My first UC suit finished!

HGUC Z'gok E.

(And as always when you photograph a gunpla, just notice a big ol' nub. Left arm.)

Nice i've been thinking of picking this up to add to my aqua suits. Looks a lot less grey than on the dalong shots.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

Does anyone have experience using these pens for panel lining? They come in smaller tip sizes than the microns and are significantly cheaper. The first one is acid free, not sure about the second.

http://www.dickblick.com/products/pelikan-techno-liner-pens/
http://www.dickblick.com/products/marvy-uchida-lepen-technical-drawing-pens/

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

Bimmi posted:

edit: I don't see one offered in that size? The .20mm nib is still kind of thick IMO but I'm not a fan of Microns in general.

Think hes talking about the other pens dick blick has which come in smaller sizes.

.20 is ok for most stuff, and is smaller than gundam markers which makes getting into tiny places easier. However its still not small enough. Wasn't usable at all on turn a mg really so i went with the pour type marker. those .1 or .03 might have been small enough.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

Aaa, what line are those giant sd's? I saw the rx-78 for $50 but couldn't find any information on it without knowing what to search for. Also how is that gouf MG. I've been considering it for my 2nd.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

TaurusOxford posted:

Are you talking about this SD RX-78-2? http://www.hlj.com/product/BAN960227/Gun

The MG Gouf is a good kit. Just make sure you buy the 2.0, and not the original.

No in Gammatron's picture, bottom left there is a Turn A still in SD proportions but bigger than an HG, bottom right a zaku 2 same deal.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

One of the customize weapon kits has a nicer sniper rifle that I guess is easier to hold. I eventually just gave the big rifle in the k-9 kit to the dogbot as it was limiting the main suit poses. The yonen kirks zaku I is also a cool sniper kit.

ChaiCalico fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Nov 10, 2014

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

I cut off the tip of my index finger when trimming down covers for old games using a ruler an exacto knife, finger was just a bit over the line. I'd easily go through multiple solder burns than cleaning up that loving cut again.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

You can fold the stock in and it can be shoulder fired. It still looks kind of silly. Or with some manipulation you can hold it in both hands across the chest but it looks awkward.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

BlitzBlast posted:

Please don't purchase shame tia.

lol for real, we are all buying plastic action figures, dont be making GBS threads on dickeye cause he bought one of the biggest toys and u mad jelly. jnust poo poo on him when he keeps telling newppl to buy it.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

I kinda get the Gundam X's, ive considered collecting all of the gouf variants. But why do you have 3 of the 109's?

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

how many hours per day though. I might take a few days for a more complex hg but i only build an hour or maybe 2 a day. I asked someone else about this who said they build mg's in a day (prob dickeye) and they said "oh yea i build for 8 hours a day".

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

Both Kshatriya's

edit: checkout gouf custom. Maybe see if you like the zaku 1 sniper msv "yonem kirks"

ChaiCalico fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Nov 15, 2014

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

BlitzBlast posted:

WZC ain't poo poo. :smuggo:

The Double X is hilarious because they built the thing to store energy even faster than the X, and ended up gathering so much energy they had to fire it out of two cannons.

superman could beat up batman, its science.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

MJP posted:

I like the Copic Multiliner SP, it comes in 0.03mm. Problem is it's only in black, as far as I know.

You'd do a lot better getting this - it has a pigment pen for pretty much any conceivable color you'd ever want to use as a panel line. http://www.amazon.com/Triplus-Finel...iplus+fineliner

Sakura Microns are the other brand. I still prefer those for the filling/wiping excess ink, the color seems idk deeper? and seems to stick better when handling the model. The Copics are nice when you are outlining a piece, and really nice for face grooves.

I'd hoped that .03mm would be small enough to get into really tight places without having to wipe much, but hg rx-78-2 30th edition is proving otherwise.

It could just be the tip/ink cart I got with the Copic but I find myself having to write on paper quite a bit while paneling just to get the ink flowing again.

Still leaps and bounds better than the other tech pens i got from dickblick to try out.

Sakura microns you can find bulk on amazon if you just want all 1 color/size btw.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

The Muffinlord posted:

Destroy Unchained is cool, I guess, but I was kinda hoping for Gerwalk.

Is there anything out there like a perfect grade VF-1? In both size and detail.

Edit:

I'm currently working on a plan to convince my wife to let me buy a Glorious Series Gouf.

The hell did you have to let me know this existed.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

Can someone explain whats with the diff hi-nu versions? it looks like only 1 has the HG tag, are the other 2 just action figures? I bought HG hi-nu on a whim after just checking the box art and it's prob one of my favorite kits.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

TARDISman posted:

There are now 3 HG Hi Nu kits (Original, GPB Custom, and now Brave), then there's the Robot Damashii Hi Nu figures, one of which has more die cast metal or something.

The brave on taghobby seems to have 3 revisions is what i'm asking about. All at 1/144 size.

http://www.taghobby.com/9-0/9-1/%E4...-gundam-series/

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

madpanda posted:

The brave on taghobby seems to have 3 revisions is what i'm asking about. All at 1/144 size.

http://www.taghobby.com/9-0/9-1/%E4...-gundam-series/

Ok gundamguy has the info, the other 2 showcase parts from magazine giveaways for april/may.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

Really hope the decals for hi-nu aren't magazine exclusive. Otherwise i'm buying japanese magazine for decals :retrogames:

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Figures that the hardest weapons to put the Sniper K9 with is either of it's sniper rifles.

Still, giving it Naked Snake CQC poses with it's knife and pistol :allears:

There's a lot of parts still left on the sprue though... :confused:

Also, it does one of the things I always love: It can mount it's shield on either arm.

The instructions will have X's over the parts not used in the kit if you ever want to double check to make sure you didn't miss something. First page where it shows the runners.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

I thought it was zeo zeong on the show.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

Working on G-Self and if feel really saucy i'll try out a panel wash since I have all the stuff for it now.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

Hmm amazon has Kshatriya repaied for $50, is this a decent kit and i'm assuming I'll need a 1/100 base for it, is that right?

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

Which Hi-nu is that? I thought the new one wasn't out till feb and none of the mg's have a front skirt like that

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

Ignimbrite posted:

Hi Nu Ver ka came out a few months ago, dude. And that could be the old MG with aftermarket parts.

http://gundamguy.blogspot.com/2014/11/hgbf-1144-hi-nu-gundam-brave-on-display_20.html

Is the new one i was referring to.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

Literally The Worst posted:

Seriously though who wants to loan me thirty bucks?

Please go to the BFC subforum, and/or http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/ if you can't afford $30 to get your gundams shipped you seriously need to get budgeting and stop overspending.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

Finished RG Zaku, had a ton of fun building it and seeing how it was fitting together. Still working on decals though and probably will be for longer than it took me to build it.

How does Zaku rate against the other rg's? I've had problems with the hands falling apart (like p much every model I don't cement) one of the skirt pieces keeps falling off and holding weapons on the back is just pointless.

Thinking of Zogok or Mk2 titans for the next RG i get.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

The hoses/springs were probably the most frustrating part. I'm still missing a few tiny sections because once those things fly they are p much with jesus for good.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

Kibner posted:

Yay, my very first models! Built them in order from left to right.

Hi-5 first kit Gogg buddy. They get better.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

Ok i want to start getting into using a wash for panel lines and finishing models with a matte coat. I've got some tamiya acrylic flat black and their thinner, does it matter what material container the wash will be held in? E.x can i just use a cheap plastic bottle or will that have some sort of chemical reaction.

Also i'm assuming i should do the wash before matte coating. I'm using testors spray lacquer.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

I got to sit down and play around with some hand painting finally, just using some cheap brush set I got at the hobby store and gundam markers drained into a cup. Redid some crappy decals (your next, build strike wings) and enjoyed it.

Whats a decent (under $20) brush set to go for? The one I'm using is atlas.

Going to order some vallejo airbrush paints, which I've read in a few places are good for hand painting as well.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

Luminaflare posted:

What's the Zaku F2000 kit like? For reference I really liked the Zaku Amazing.

It's a pretty solid kit. The only real issue I have with it is due to the amount of missile pods etc stuck to the sides/arms posing can be a bit challenging.

I waited until I could pick it up for $30 from a local store, ebay/amazon was 45-50 most of the time.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

What type and brand of paint?

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

Have you tried their brand thinner? I seem to remember hearing in the thread or gundam forums that due to their acrylics makeup you would get bad results thinning with alcohol.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

Speaking of vallejo, I just got a few bottles of game paint in, whats a good ratio for making a black panel wash? This is for hand painting.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

signalnoise posted:

I like the Tamiya tweezers because they're coated in something that makes the decals not stick to them.

How are they for pulling tiny decals off of the sheet? My current par has one side bent so I can get under decals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Let me know how the HG Zeta is since I've been eyeballing a 1/144 scale Zeta for a while but I heard the RG sucks.

Oh and I finished my Gouf Custom

I am genuinely surprised that the chaingun doesn't appear to add any weight issues.

Now let's go hunt some Guntanks.

Unpopular opinion time: I think Norris Packard is the better Gouf pilot than Ramba Ral.

The gouf custom scenes in 08th ms team were amazing.

I also built this kit pretty early on in my collection. The minigun does add weight but you can pose the legs or lift the gun slightly to compensate. I had it posed badly and on a high shelf, over a few days it sagged and fell down.