Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Is there a currently running transformers show that isn't crap? The last one I watched was Beast Wars. And are there good kits for any of the shows?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Thanks. I may go hunting for one when I get home.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

TaurusOxford posted:

Watch Transformers Prime. The show has ended but it was a great piece of Transformers media, and like you, this is coming from a guy who stopped caring about the series once Beast Wars ended. Here's one of my favorite clips from the show for a non-spoilerish demo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uFTsnB3Olo

Thanks!

Oh my, the voices! :swoon:

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
^ Yesssssss

While looking for Transformers kit, I found a motherfucking CANNON TORTOISE!

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

PoptartsNinja posted:

The Gafran's finally cleaned up enough to join my collection. It's the third-tallest suit in the lot (at least until I finish my Danazine), and it isn't much shorter than the Abigor.

Even crouching down it's taller than the Kampfer.

What suit is that in the bottom right with the Alibaba style shoes?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Thanks for the explanation! That is pretty neat, even if not executed to the level you wanted. :)

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Acguy. Reason? Acguy.

Yes! Also, check out all his poses on dalong's site. It's a fun kit. Extendable arms and legs, hip and shoulder sockets that pop out for more flexibility, several water effect parts, spring-loaded claws, action base and several small figures (pilot, diver, three kids from show) included.

E: the chest also opens up on a hinge to show the cockpit, which is really cool.

E2: and the propellers on the bottoms of the feet spin, too. :3:

Kibner fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jan 23, 2015

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
I'm about halfway done with my Zock, and found my first real annoyance. Too many parts for fingers. 42 parts for six fingers. On an HG.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Because mono-eyes are the best thing in Gundam design, obviously.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

TFRazorsaw posted:

I did check Gundam Wiki and I found this weirdness that looked like SOME kind of model for SID. But my apologies for bothering everyone

It's not a bother. :)

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Finished my Zock. :woop: It is big, heavy, and awesome.

Now, I am starting on my Clear Juaggu. When working with these clear parts, do any of you do panel lining? I'm not sure if I should or not. The pictures on the box look fine without any lining.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Ka0 posted:

No, you should get them. Get as many Hygoggs and Z'goks as humanly possible. This is the proper thing to do.

This is true. The Zock is also pretty awesome (for a giant demon turtle guardian).

e: Oh, and the elephant Juagg! :allears:

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

When's the next 3-day weekend? Totally be down with that. :p

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Tenzarin posted:

That looks anything but high mobility! Its like a missile that shoots, no way that thing is gonna bank in combat.

It's the prototype to the Zeong.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Ka0 posted:

Anything wrong with old MG like the Acguy or Z'gok? Not that matters much because I want to build them so baad.

The MG Acguy is super fun. The mid section is pretty heavy, but it's really cool. The shoulder and hip joints "pop" out to allow for more flexibility. The arms and legs both extend a bit. You do have to use a screwdriver to assemble the spring-loaded claw, though. I haven't had any problems with that gimmick. I really like the fold out cockpit entrance thing.

It also comes with the three little kids from the original show, a scuba diver, a man with briefcase, a bunch of water effect parts, and an action base. It is easily worth the 30-40 bucks it costs.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Not Gundam related, but still robot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCnGxXpIR3I&t=71s

A dude found a 3D render of a character from a video game, broke it down into parts, used a 3D printer to create those parts, then wired up LED's to basically create his own custom model kit.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

I'm a software developer by trade, and hadn't ever heard of this website. And since I'm terrible with coming up with good color combinations on my own, this is super awesome. Especially the color blindness stuff!

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

TaurusOxford posted:

So i've been working on reorganizing some of my shelves, and got this for a Super Robot collection:

Yeah, SOC GaoGaiGar is even more impressive in person than in photos.

Runwiled, as soon as you get those photos and writeup done, it'll be going into that second post in the thread. Also, if anyone wants their completed projects put into the second post for display and would like to save me the trouble of going through the whole thread to find them, feel free to post them or link me to the original post.

That Power Ranger Zord kit looks pretty good. What kit is it and was it fun to build?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

TaurusOxford posted:

It's not a kit. It's Super Robot Chogokin Daizyujin: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXQ0xI_zTec

Thanks for the link. :)

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
The Zock grew on me as I was building it. Big, bulky, and simple. Also, reversible!

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

All that amphibiousness :allears:

I have a Hygogg, Z'gock Experimental, Juaggu, and a gold Acguy in my backlog.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

TARDISman posted:

Noticing a lack of Zaku Flippers in that listing...

I didn't know this existed and holy poo poo, that's a twenty year old kit (1994).

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

TARDISman posted:

Wow, holy poo poo, I meant the Zee-Zulu which I just call Zaku Flipper. Guess not anymore. :v:

lol

Well, that makes more sense. Don't quite like the aesthetics of that one, so undecided on if I'll pick it up.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Incoming blasphemy, but I just don't care much for the Zaku and its variants. They are all still better than any actual Gundam, though, with very few exceptions.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

everythingWasBees posted:

Get the NG Kapool. It might not be quite up to HG standards but it's still real good. Especially for an NG.

It is definitely on my to-do list.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Swagger Dagger posted:

Too bad, the pink owns

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Bimmi posted:

e: derp.

Here, have a really well-done Dougram instead:

http://www.gunjap.net/site/?p=244502#more-244502

That is an awesome looking robot.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

closeted republican posted:

I don't get why they did that. The HGUC Z'Gok's arms and legs are a solid base for a Z'Gok E. Instead, they cheapened out with the segments and made it a pain to play around with.

It's a cool suit; I just wish it was actually flexible instead of being a brick.

This makes me sad that it is still in my backlog. :(

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
I really want that Worker robot. It looks so drat cool.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's for Lunar mining. Honest. Totally not a precursor to a combat machine at all.

Feddie Scum.

Construction robots that can be used for combat in a pinch are the best. No, I can't think of any other examples other than the Constructicons right now.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
These are all good answers.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
I don't see why it should be roughly 6x the cost of this: http://www.gundamplanet.com/hmm-zoids-rz-001-gojulas.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qv_VY1VrRZY

Maybe twice as much for sheer size. But not six times as much.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Dammit, now I really want to go buy that Zoid T-Rex kit I linked. I have way too many hobbies and wouldn't get around to building it until the winter, though.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

chutche2 posted:

I like some of them. I'm totally getting an R-Gyagya. But that's because Gyanko is my spirit animal, the Gyan is the first MG I ordered.

I wish Team Anglerfish had actual customized MS because I'm a sucker for zeon aquatic suits. The only ones I don't have right now are a zock and a zaku mariner.

Nearly half the part count for the Zock are the claws. It was a simple but interesting build for me.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Parallax posted:

What grades of sandpaper do I need if I'm just trying to smooth out nubs?

Like five or six different grits between 600 and 3000, iirc. I'm probably wrong, so I'll wait for others to correct me.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Anonymous Robot, the MG Acguy has the extending, sliding limb feature you were lamenting wasn't on the HG Zogok. It works ok. Both the arms and legs are telescopic.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Oh no, oh no. I'm trying so hard not to buy this right this instant: http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B007CUHBYY/ref=pe_607890_140339510_em_1p_1_ti

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

:shepspends:

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Anonymous Robot posted:

I have definitely seen people advise others to avoid Toyshop Japan Hobbyone on the grounds that their shipping is really cheap and packages can end up getting wrecked. The thing about Amazon Prime is that if a product is Prime, then it's already in the United States in an Amazon warehouse, so it's safe to order from TSJHO. Otherwise, there's at least some risk to it, I guess.

Didn't know that.

I just remember that I ordered a handful of kits from them in early January this year and the packaging was completely horrible and I remain in shock that I got everything undamaged. IIRC, the kit boxes were just stacked on top of each other and put in another box that just perfectly fit them. Barely any room to even shift. However, there was no padding at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Yeah, that suit is pretty boss.