Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

I’m taking a dip into gunpla from my regular hobbying and I need some advice. I’m doing the master grade rx-78-2 3.0 and I’ve come to the apparently notorious arms, I’ve seen a lot of lamentation regarding the state of the copper foil stickers for the elbow joint and I had picked up the Bandai water slide decals for the kit in prep. Unfortunately the ‘copper’ water slides look like complete poo poo and are as big of a bastard to do on that elbow as the stickers and I can’t see them being much more resilient.

In short I want to know if I use the foil stickers and then varnish the piece if it’ll be sufficient to stop the destruction and peeling that apparently happens on this kits elbows?
I picked up gunpla for something to build that I wouldn’t have to paint and while I could prime and paint these metallic bits I’d really rather not and I think the combo of raw plastic abs painted bits might look off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Skrillmub posted:

I built an MG 3.0 two years ago and I don't see any peeling going on with the stickers. The round decals that go around the elbows don't stick right though. They never did, not even the day after putting them on.
Maybe the elbow joints go bad if you pose the kit a lot or just play with it.

I suppose I described it badly, I mean the ones that go in the crook of the elbow that involve the tiny long strips that go over quite an angular surface.

I guess I could pick up some markers, although at that point I may just prime and paint. What’s in metallic gundam markers anyway, acrylics? Oils?

There’s no issues with topcoating the kit stickers for protection though right?

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

By the way are official Bandai water slides just…not great? I’ve got plenty of experience with decals on models but these ones just seem lacklustre to work with, not unusable by any stretch but just worse than I was expecting. I did get a 3rd party set for the other kit I got with this one so I’m hoping for a better time.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Coming here for some clarity because there seems to be a lot of online ‘expert’ science out there regarding this question.

Does enamel based panel liner like tamiya actually damage PS plastic? It seems pretty clear certain things nuke ABS to death but there seems to be so much conflicting information on whether enamels will gently caress up your PS. Like some people say you have to panel line on the runners, others insist it must be varnished or god help you. Surely someone has actually just tested this by dunking gunpla PS in various chemicals and coming back in a week to see what happens? It’s either reactive with the plastic or not.

I’m just slightly suspicious because I’ve seen more than one post bemoaning how panel liner destroyed their plastic after they cleaned it up with acetone. Gunpla hobby folks seem quite happy to blast their kits with lacquer based paints and varnishes which frankly I thought would be much hotter than an enamel pin wash.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Oil washes are fine? Jeese I’ll just dig out my paints then. Are mineral spirits on the naughty list as well for Bandai plastic? I normally just use winsor and newton sansodor for oils.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

I’d be careful with lacquer based varnishes in particular if you plan on spraying them over water slide decals as a finishing coat, they can absolutely damage them and I wouldn’t be particularly shocked if they made gundam markers bleed although admittedly I don’t have experience with that.

Ask me how narked I am that I ordered Mr super clear topcoat instead of Mr Topcoat.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Antoine Silvere posted:

I’ve definitely had tamiya panel liner crack plastic, specifically on my RG Nu Gundam. It seems like it got into a crevice between parts and probably didn’t dry as fast as it should have and caused issues. If you’re quick on the cleanup and don’t skip it on, it should be fine.

I also just base coat all my kits with lacquer paints (Gaianotes EX black or Alclad gloss black base) and have never had any issues with plastic cracking cuz of that.

Tried my hand at washing the GOOhN and hoo boy I’m bad at it lol:

Anyone know of an easy way to clean up acrylic washes after they’ve dried, tried enamel thinner cuz it’s all I had and it didn’t work great.

You could try isopropyl alcohol because that will definitely strip acrylic paint, but depending on what’s under it it could take that off too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

I’m just swinging by to say that the RG Zeong I’m currently building is so loving good. Just A+ no notes.