Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fezball
Nov 8, 2009
So I'm currently building the Sazabi Ver. Ka, and I'm a little confused by the instructions for decal application as some of them are supposed to be placed on top of color-correcting stickers. Now so far I have had some pretty rotten luck with water slides on other sets, mostly from them just refusing to stick on properly. I did get me some setter solution to try and fix this, and from my first experiments with leftovers I do see a clear improvement - but now I have no idea what that would do to the sticker underneath.

So is it safe to apply setter on top of a sticker, or is this only supposed to work with a layer of coat in between?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fezball
Nov 8, 2009

Unlucky7 posted:

So, are those dry rub decals that the model comes with? I think I should handle the one for the shoulder shield before I made the arm (or before I attach the piece at least)

The Zaku IIF at least comes with a mix of stickers and dry transfers - if it has a green backing it's a sticker, transparent is dry transfer, blue would be water slides.

fezball
Nov 8, 2009

JoeGlassJAw posted:

Anybody ever ordered from Samuel Decal? They've got a kit I want for a really good price but I've never heard of them. Any experiences on whether or not they're legit/shipping costs/times?

I didn't order any kits there, but the two times I got decals from them (shipping to Germany, payment via PayPal) they delivered promptly and with no issues.

fezball
Nov 8, 2009

Digihazard posted:

I'm off to Japan next week and the day I'm going to the yokohama factory is 1 day before their xmas lighting event kicks off. I'm semi-near the place a few days later when we come back from Fukuoka is it worth swinging around again or is it the same as normal but in festive colours?

Can't tell you about the lighting event, but if you want to get the docking tower tickets make sure to reserve them online - when I was there a month ago they were only available on-site for the earliest time slot, all the rest was prebooking only (they're also super expensive, but if you're going all the way out there you might as well do it right!)

fezball
Nov 8, 2009

CommunityEdition posted:

Is there anywhere that keeps an unusually robust stock of third-party waterslides? I keep finding myself halfway through an order before I realize I won’t be able to pick up enough I need to make the shipping tolerable.

https://samueldecal.com/collections/decal is reliable and usually has a pretty good selection available

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fezball
Nov 8, 2009

Phantombane posted:

I had wanted to keep lurking the thread until I had some decent builds to post, but something came up that I wanted to ask about.

It seems like a few stores are getting the master grade Rick Dias restocked, and it's one of my all time favorite suits. The thing is it's an older kit and I was wondering how well it holds up. I'm not expecting top of the line articulation both due to it's age and the design itself since it's a chunky robot, I just want to know if it's a worthwhile and fun kit. I've also never built a MG kit of any kind before so I'm not really sure what to expect or to compare it to other than just the general "bigger, more details, more gimmicks" that MGs promise.

A lot of the googling I've done just keeps returning hits on the refreshed high grade instead.

Does anyone here have any experience/opinions/advice/etc on the kit?

As MGs go it's one of the simpler ones, but I found it quite enjoyable. The main issue is the hand design that makes a lot of weapon holding poses a little awkward as it's hard to avoid bumping into the wrist armor. But nothing I'd consider a dealbreaker.