Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

I just recently decided to give this a go (in part to have something to do with my lonely retiree father) and last weekend I built my inaugral bouncing robo boy:

here's my next one:

I don't really feel up to painting just yet but I do want to use this next one to start practicing clipping/sanding and maybe spray it with a matte finish to make it look nicer and seal in the stickers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I dig the Spinatio Shogun Type and the Zaku High Mobility Surface Type

the Neo Zeong II looks incredible but lol not at my budget/level of experience

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

pre-ordered those two. gundams are cool but I've always been more attracted to rank and file boys. there was an 08th MS Team model I saw a few days ago that might be my next project after the Zaku II

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

DrHammond posted:

I just ordered this exact kit from Amazon, should be coming today! This will be my 3rd build, after doing the HG Aerial, and my current 50% finished RG Char's Zaku. I also got the cheapo Amazon glass files linked a few pages back, haven't put them to use yet but ground down a bit of excess spur plastic when I unboxed them and WOW! Way better than the three-stage sanding/polishing files I've been using. Excited to build out a little Zaku collection. Gunpla is fun!

interesting, fortunately I have a very crafts-oriented family so I've got all the tools I need. and yeah, this will only be my second one but I'm getting into it. every time I look at my little SD zaku on my desk it puts a smile on my face

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

ordered a set of marker pens and glass files based on the recs

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

it's taken awhile due to life responsibilities but I'm in the home stretch on my zaku build. did the panel lining last night and folks are right, it's incredible what a difference it makes. just gotta get the microscopic decals on and apply the topcoat and I'll be donezo, just in time for the RG sazabi that's on it's way

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

looks awesome nj

it's decal night for the zaku and I'm hoping the weather clears up so I can go outside and spray so I can finish up

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Zaku II Type C-6 BUILT

what a blast, extremely pleased for how he turned out for only my second model and my first real deal HG one. no painting but I did the marker lining and finished off with a matte top spray and it looks superb. my only reservation is that the decals didn't come out well on anything on a curve - the shoulder pad and squad marking on the lower chest are the biggest offenders - but it's really only egregiously noticeable when you're looking at it up close. I also did a last-minute marking of the backpack before spraying and kind of wish I had waited to let it dry and shrink up a bit, but oh well. the microscopic warning/text decals that could fit on your pinky nail were a nightmare

Pictured here chilling in the Deskipality of Zeon with his best buddy Little Z

next up: Boss Man. won't be able to get started on him for another three weeks tho due to travel demands

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

wdarkk posted:

IIRC Sazabi is the one where when they say "push as far as it will go" they loving mean it on the shoulder joints, you can gently caress them up by not putting them in far enough.

noted, thanks for the advice. I'm aware this is gonna be a serious step up and am looking forward to it. my excitement is embodied

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

IG-88 posted:

I've only been building since the end of last year and ever since then, this guy has been what I've wanted the most. It was impossible for me to find at retail or anywhere near $100 but last week it popped up and here it is:

I'm so loving stoked.

I want this, where should I keep my eyes peeled

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

alas I'm a filthy yank

e: galactic toys has it in stock gimme

Buck Wildman fucked around with this message at 19:10 on May 20, 2023

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

just got my psycho zaku delivered and jfc this thing is gigantic

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

JoeGlassJAw posted:

RG hi-nu on sale for $35.99 as USAGS, do not sleep on this one, forget what that one poster said this is the best kit bandai ever made
https://www.usagundamstore.com/prod...T9s3bhJ_.QPkpvt

tempting but I've already got two models needing doing and two more coming in November and I promised myself I'd be something approaching disciplined about this stuff. I am going to get a can of semi-gloss top coat for the Sazabi tho, while I'm looking

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

hello new p-bandai listings why yes it is a new budget month

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

grabbed that quebely damned without even thinking it hits all the right notes for me. elegant simplicity ftw

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

got the legs done on the RG Sazabi today. my dad and I had a laugh when we saw that just the leg was nearly as tall as the entire Zaku II we built prior

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Monkey Fracas posted:

they look shocked

*lowers gundam shades*

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Mindblast posted:

So I've got a bigger model coming in and I figured I really need to give this guy a bit more TLC but I still don't have a reason to get a full airbrush kit. I think I'm going to get some third hands and get some of these mr hobby top coats. not sure yet which one. Are top coats easy to work with? I still need to work something out for my cat - I might just make a makeshift paint station for outdoor use or something.

I used a matte topcoat with my prior build and it looks great - removes the plastic look and seals in the stickers/panel lining. you just put the part on an alligator stick and give it 2-3 quick sprays on every side and let it dry. definitely do it outside or in an extremely well-ventilated area - I do it in the yard with a covid mask on just to keep the fumes from spraying back into me

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Marx Headroom posted:

Flat topcoat and panel lining is like 90% of making kits look like the promotional art. Very cheap and effective.

this was all I did with the Zaku and it was transformative

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Pierson posted:

Also third-party waterslides to replace horrible stickers is the final part of the "I want to improve my models but don't want to commit to a painting setup" holy trinity.

was thinking about this yesterday and just ordered a set of Delpi waterslides and setter/softener for the Sazabi. I also got a set of the metallic markers recommended earlier itt because I want to do some gold/silver detailing on the yellow parts especially to give it some flair

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

it's my understanding that the metallic marker paint can be easily cleaned up with some isopropyl alcohol and a q-tip correct? I want to get the really precise silver details on the sazabi but the markers really aren't the best at that level of precision, and I'd like to just gently splat it in and clean up the borders

also the markers are great. doing the gold on the yellow pieces is transformative

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I hadn't considered using a toothpick, thx. I'm really getting into this one and I want it to look its best, but I'm not really down for full-on painting, not yet

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

this whole hobby is an exercise in extreme discipline. every day I see like 2-3 models I wanna do and have a get thee behind me satan moment

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

it's the HG Kshatriya that's currently wooing me but I shall be strong. I made the mistake of peeking inside the psycho zaku box and was like welp that's my summer

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I'm at the point now where I'm like "ok need to stop for an hour the paint's gotta dry and set" and my father's glaring death at me

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

he's gonna hate the decals

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Televisio Frankus posted:

Alright, took some pictures, I think the weapons pack that I bought works well with the kit. On the back of the hammer is a pentagram, so I've been affectionately referring to it as the Satan Hammer.

the hammer's definitely better

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

well I very nearly hosed up the shoulders on the sazabi like literally everyone warned me about. even so I'm gonna have to grind back the armor a bit so they swing out properly

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

holy poo poo

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Ramie posted:

wait holy gently caress i never cut one of the fangs out of the runner LMAO

now I get to do pla-plate experiments i guess

lately my hobby-building time has been eaten up by this kit for a greenhouse. the little miniatures are cute

the company is Robotime and I recommend it if you like overcomplicated projects; there's like 20 pages in the manual, each one with instructions to build around 3 objects. each page takes me an hour.

I think this is cool, are each of the pages in the book separate or a detailed solid piece? I'd really like to see the completed greenhouse when you're done

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Sazabi's built, gonna spend the weekend panel lining and doing decals. I ended up using the silver stickers because the marker just wasn't turning out good with the silver. I got waterslides for the rest tho, this'll be my first time working with them

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I like the little hexagear dudes but I'm a sucker for anything that can keep me company on my desk

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

panel lining's done for Mr. Saz, tomorrow's the waterslides. pray for my soul

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

decals are hard but so far so good. got a chest decal visibly off center but good enough for government work

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

buying the softer/setter was a good idea. looking at it from a distance you'd swear the model came with them already on

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

JoeGlassJAw posted:

started in on the psycho zaku and holy moly im gonna need to build it its own shelf. the biggest tank of the three tanks on the backpack is literally the length of my forearm. this is the biggest kit ive ever built by a country mile and im so excited and intimidated at the same time

next on my list should have Mr. Saz done within two days

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

JoeGlassJAw posted:

this is insane. 1/144 Victory for scale

welp, I guess it's good I'm moving to a larger workstation after Mr. Saz, who I'll be topcoating tonight!

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I'm looking at that booster and thinking about those thin line decals that wrap around it. I totally screwed up the ones on the Sazabi and in retrospect I should've cut it into segments and applied them in sequence to keep it manageable rather than try to snake the entire thing around like a rube

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Warmachine posted:

That's definitely something begging for paint/marker. As a slide transfer, it would be simple enough, but I'd lose my mind trying to do something self-adhesive.

it was a waterslide but I still ripped it to shreds trying to work it into shape. live and learn, and it's not a really visually significant part of the model anyway. most of them turned out great and I'm p chuffed with myself for a first-timer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

well I guess I should've watched any other tutorial than the one I did because mine said softer then setter, when it should've been the other way around. this explains some of the trouble I had and it sounds like it was something of a miracle it turned out as well as it did for me

whoops