Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
Help, I was researching gunpla to give my husband something for christmas and in doing so managed to pick up the hobby myself

Now three HG kits have not only appeared but have assembled themselves and have taken over the shelf (HG Schwarzette was first, then HG Aerial and HG Infinite Justice)
Waiting in the wings, HG Michaelis with HG Calibarn, HG Lfrith (Recirculation, Black and Neon Pink) and finally MG Full Armour Thunderbolt Ver. Ka

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I got husband HG IBO Vidar and WFM Lfrith. Apparently he's built MG before (they are in storage) but hasn't built anything for a number of years.

Next on the build list : Michaelis, then Calibarn.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I am now up to 4 completed small robots on my shelf - HG Schwarzette, HG Aerial, HG Michaelis and HG Justice.

HG Calibarn and MG Thunderbolt Ver Ka remain to be built

And a package has come in..

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I was on the very last part (quite literally, was putting the rocket launcher on the wrist) of my MG Full Armor Thunderbolt (ver ka) and the bastarding arm sheared awkwardly in two. One end of the piece is twisted in like an X shape (presumably whitened with friction because the little nub at the end was not fully in the hole, jesus) and it's an absolute nightmare to try and repair. I'm so gutted, I was almost done with my first MG too, with no major fuckups.
Ebay has none of the parts spare (tried messaging the guy selling parts from runner b) and plaparts isn't answering emails (have checked everything is filled in correctly)
I don't have the hobbying experience to try a brass pin repair thing, so short of like, buying another kit and just using the broken parts again (as it isn't the whole arm, just the connecting parts i.e one of B-32 and one of B-43) but that's just such an expense.

Any of you experienced folk got a suggestion?

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Broken thunderbolt update : learned how to use pin vise thing to repair. Sorta. Arm seems to hold up now, drilled a teeny hole in each end of the break (filed down to flatten pieces together) and slipped a small brass rod into the hole with plastic safe glue around it. 24h on and the arm is in place still, holding the weapon steady. Won't try to articulate but relieved it's holding.

Question : I remember a bunch of pages back (a few months now) someone was looking at or discussing relatively insectoid looking gundam and I cannot find that post nor the gundam in question. Anyone recall it or able to suggest what it was?

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Are there any gunpla which come with metal or metal coated parts? I have heard some kits have after market metal bits (which ones are recommended?) but are there any kits which have them by default?

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Is there some kind of shortage? All of the UK Gundam/many hobbyist stockists are totally out of things like Mr Hobby mark setter / mark softer (except the NEO, which I read is not really for JP models and more for thicker decals?) and places like newtype US wont ship internationally.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Nullkigan posted:

What specifically are you looking for aside from decal stuff?

Well, that's exactly it - I was looking at getting Mark setter / Mark softer because I've deliberately avoided doing water decals until now and want to dip my feet into it - that and proper panel lining.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Nice one, cheers - will take a look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Yeah that looks sicknasty as hell and awesome.