Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Enough posting unbuilt kits and post built kits!

Wait, poo poo. Mechanicore, stop. I can't take this, you're going to kill me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Looking back at that Mechanicore 1/100 Deep Striker, I decided to use the comparison shots to measure out how long that thing would be fully built and extended. Using my MG Ex-S's box as a base, looks like the thing will be a good four and a half feet long. I can't help but feel they're getting ahead of themselves with this one.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Like others have said, yeah, it's a Mechanicore redesign of the Deep Striker, and it's apparently taking a lot more liberties than their Xi redesign, which looks amazing. Here's some more shots of it from earlier this year.

Though, even though I say I'm sold on it, I'm gonna wait on dropping the cash for it until I get their Xi in my hands. They sure can put out a great looking design, and I hear they love dropping metal parts in just for the hell of it, but I can't get over my worries about their quality. Especially for a kit that's less than 100 bucks.

ACES CURE PLANES fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Nov 3, 2014

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Gammatron 64 posted:

For my Unicorn, I wonder if I should use testor's metallic green, or just silver and spray clear green over it. I also wonder what would happen if you sprayed clear green over the clear pink plastic.

I used clear blue over silver for my custom paintjob, and it worked really well so green should go great. But that said, clear green over the pink might just work. I tried spraying clear blue over an extra set of beam sabers I had, and you couldn't even tell they were ever pink.

If you decide to try it on a runner, take a picture, because I might actually do the clear green over pink for the PG Unicorn I'll get eventually.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10152428257636897.1073741878.382602901896&type=1

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck I can't afford it right now.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

A quick search turns up the Schuzrum-Galluss

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I'm gonna rep for the Rick Dom. Doms are great, and the more you can get, the better they are. Get thirty!

Also, if you're really jonesing for a Guntank, maybe wait on the HG and get yourself an MG Guntank. The engineering on that thing is amazing, and it's huge fun to build and pose, and has some really cool gimmicks.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

And some extra psychoframe panels fold out on the top of the head, just for that little extra touch.

Honestly? I'm loving that third form. I can't afford it just yet because china gunpla are eating my life away, but it's jumped to the top of the list quick. Now I just need to grab an HGUC Unicorn to see what clear blue on pink psychoframe looks like.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Well, poo poo. Amazon has the HG Unicorn Destroy Mode sitting at under :20bux: with free two-day shipping, so I guess there's no better time to test out clear blue on pink like the present. It'll give me a weekend project.

Quick question about Tamiya rattlecans though - what white is a good choice for your standard gundam pure white look? I tried their 'Pure White' for the parts I custom painted on my Plan B, but it was incredibly glossy, and went on noticeably thicker than any other paint I've used. Is there a better matte choice, but still very clean?

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

MG Double X, the version of the X I actually really like? Goddammit Bandai, but at least it's a regular release, unlike:

God drat it bandai.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Dj Meow Mix posted:

Might buy DX just for posing it underfoot of the superior X :smuggo:

This guy right here, I tell ya what. Can't handle both guns at the same time? :mmmsmug:

Also, I didn't get any response to this earlier, and I'm still hoping somebody might know. I don't wanna burn money only to find out I got a bad shade or gloss finish.

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Quick question about Tamiya rattlecans though - what white is a good choice for your standard gundam pure white look? I tried their 'Pure White' for the parts I custom painted on my Plan B, but it was incredibly glossy, and went on noticeably thicker than any other paint I've used. Is there a better matte choice, but still very clean?

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Man, throw some more black and red on the yellow bits, and you could call that a Nineball variant. Awesome build.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Monaghan posted:

Man the nightingale must not be selling well.

which is good because that design is crap.

MJP posted:

It strikes me as the kind of Mobile Suit only a mother could love.

Look at all these wrong opinions. :colbert: It's the perfect blend of ridiculous design and bulk.. I hope the RE line becomes the go-to for the huge suits, I want to see a 1/100 Woundwort before I die.

And speaking of ridiculous suits, my 1/100 Xi just shipped out, and I finally wrangled up enough cash to preorder that 1/100 Deep Striker. This is gonna be an awesome christmas :getin:

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I've gone on record saying I love rediculous designs, and I love Unicorns, but what about both? But I think it may be a bit much even for me.

(Nah, it owns, I love it)

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Man this weekend is boring. I wish I had a kit to work on to pass the time, guess I'll just play KH2.5 and Xrd all weeken-

OH poo poo IT'S HERE

OH MY GOOOOOD.

LOOK AT ALL THAT METAL AND THOSE LEDS

Holy poo poo that is a lot of plastic.

:aaaaa:

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

You know, I don't think I mind it. It's really quite detailed, I think I like it.

Also, holy poo poo, I was worried about the plastic being kind of shoddy, but this is superb. It's better than Bandai's in some ways, I'm really amazed. Top points Mechanicore, I guess I will preorder your Deep Striker after all!

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Mechanicore, I know I complimented you on your plastic quality, but that doesn't mean you're allowed to have quite this many problems with part fitting and leftover molding. Their engineering is absolutely beautiful though, and it is their first project so I'm willing to cut them a little bit of slack. If these guys had Bandai-level mold work, they'd make more money than god.

That's a good five hours of work right there. This is an amazing kit.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Jesus H Christ, this thing's legs come up to just about the chest on a Unicorn, this thing is gonna dwarf everything I have that isn't 1/60.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

An Angry Bug posted:

No inner frame? Dang. Might just get an HG of it then. Are there more recent MG kits of similar designs, like the tan helmet headed variant? The inner frame is a pretty major draw for me.

Edit: Just found a list of MG kits on the wiki. Gonna go through and look for neat ones. Sorry if these are a lot of questions.

You could just look at dalong, he's got detailed photo reviews of pretty much everything.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

It definitely isn't nearly that good, you'll still have to go and clean up nubs. However, the amount of nub you'll have to clean up will be much less and, most importantly, the force required to cut is a lot less as well. Compared to any other nipper I've used, it cuts very cleanly, and doesn't jostle the part when it clips, which means that you don't have the problem with small parts where they go flying.

It isn't going to solve all your problems, but it's definitely a very good, high quality tool.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

It can finally stand under its own weight! Just one more night, and it will finally be complete.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

YamataNoOrochi posted:

You're building much faster than I am. I've unfortunately only got time to work on it on the weekends. I just finished up armoring the legs today, and those LEDs in the thrusters required some creative work.

I've got a four-day weekend to burn, and in that time I've done one of the wing packs, both of the shoulder armors and flight packs, one leg, the head, and half the waist armor. I tried with the LEDs, but after an hour trying to get things to solder right I just said gently caress it, and I'm not gonna use it anyways so why bother. It looks great as-is.

Kinda poses like a brick though.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I kinda wish Gunpla Builders had gotten popular enough to get MGs, for some reason I really like the design of the Beginning, dumb beam v-fin and all. Maybe someday I'll pick up the HG.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Has anyone here ever used those metal detail parts you see floating around? I've been debating picking up this set, and tips would be nice.

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Box art for the star winning, you can its HG transformation in the back.

I don't usually go for HGs, but hot drat I want that transformed version. Can't wait for shots.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Yeah, I'm not concerned about the weight, and I like that it adds detail to the otherwise kinda wide swaths of of plain plastic.

Is there a preferred brand like nippers, or is just anything good enough? If I can just go with anything I'll just grab something from the local hobby shop and test on the leftover parts from some old kits.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Suzaku posted:

So, this arrived today:

20150131_231145

Between that and the three old-rear end 90's kits, I think I now have a gaggle of Tallgeese.

Fun note: The Tallgeese II comes with the normal MG Tallgeese manual, plus an insert of the painting and TG2 decal instructions. The TG3 has its own manual, but it lacks all of the interesting fluff text, and the only color section is the paint guide.

Where'd you order from? My TG3 has yet to arrive from Gentei and I'm starting to get really worried. :ohdear:

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

chumbler posted:

If there is not an MG Tryon 3, then there is no justice in this world.

Man, why bother with the knockoff when you can get the original? Let's get an MG ZZZ up in this.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

If I were a competent painter instead of just dumping rattlecans onto things, I'd totally buy that. Assuming I had the cash which I totally don't but still I love it.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Sadly MG Leo will never happen. Best case scenario, it'll get shoved into the RE/100 line and forgotten about by Bandai as they go and make more custom Zakus.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I'm still waiting for an MG Jegan, because I love the little green space Labor.

Though I guess I need to get the MG Jesta at some point too.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

There is no way an action base will hold it. Both in terms of weight and in terms of having something grip its intense groinal girth.

I can totally get it to hold the weapons though. The rifle it holds just fine but the shield is SO HEAVY that I have to prop it up where I have it displayed because otherwise the arm joint droops painfully low, making it look depressed rather than strong. I like the little spring in the crotch area that gives it a pseudo ab crunch which is nice, but I am absolutely terrified of posing this thing in any manner other than standing straight up and looking off into the distance. There are parts that, even when the thing is as sealed and glued as mine is that feel loose and like they'll fly off at any minute.

Also, no panel lining? :stonk: You should totally line it up man, it looks amazing fully panel lined. (I'll get to decals eventually honest)

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I really don't think I'm gonna be ordering from Gentei Kits ever again. My Tallgeese III has yet to be seen, heard from, and my e-mails to their support have been ignored.

Better yet, Paypal doesn't seem to let me contest the transaction, since it was a good five months ago by now. Guess I got screwed?

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Well, I've given him a good day to answer the two I sent, so here's hoping he is just swamped.

That newsletter thing makes me feel infinitely better though.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Just a couple days after bitching about Gentei's lack of help on the TGIII front and they send me an e-mail saying that it's on its way. Now I just feel like an rear end in a top hat. :suicide:

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Tryon 3? Sweet, hopefully there'll be a resin conversion kit of the superior ZZZ now. :colbert:

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Boy am I glad I'm not an HG person, otherwise I'd be deep in th-

Bimmi posted:

What a nutty week.

I don't know what this is but I want ten

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Have you not been watching Gundam: Build Fighters?

I have not, aside from whatever clips I get linked. But all I think of when I see that is the custom opportunities. I could probably make a drat good Zero out of that.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

There's the first episode of Gundam: Build Fighters. Have fun, and may God have mercy on your wallet.

I'm aware, but I'm just not interested. 1/144 scale doesn't do it for me, and the BF suits that DO get MGs are inevitably the ones I'm not interested in. I'm just not interested in watching the show.

Speaking of new kits though, have they announced the next RE100 after the GP-04? I want to see the next crazy MSV/novel suit they decide to go with.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Speaking of RE/100, right now on Amazon the Nightingale is currently the cheapest you can find, shipped. AmiAmi has it for 38 bucks but they hide their shipping prices behind placing the order, which pushes it way over what it's being offered for there. In addition to being scummy as hell.

If you were on the fence, now's the time it seems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

You know, despite being huge and generally unpopular, I think the Nightingale was the perfect kit to launch the line. Not just saying that as a huge Nightingale fan, I mean that in terms of it's a bold statement, just shouting "these are the kind of suits we're doing this line for, the huge stuff we can't make MGs out of, or the obscure stuff that only the diehards know about".

Having their announcement be a novel suit, an MSV suit, and an Evolve suit seems like a very deliberate act to me.